Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
tony2077 said:
Nurb said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
I never understood their supporters.
http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2011/02/06/anonymous-takes-revenge-on-security-firm-for-trying-to-sell-supporters-details-to-fbi/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108138-Anonymous-Uncovers-Corruption-in-Wisconsin-Labor-Dispute
This is hardly redeeming evidence.
Sure hackers can do some good but thats like saying Skeletor is a good guy because he didn't kill one puppy after he massacred a town.
Captain Bobbossa said:
I can understand some support when they come to the defense of people who didn't actually do anything wrong, but it's when they pull something like this is when I don't understand why anyone would back hackers doing a move like this.
Exposing government corruption that shows they were working with a private security company to blackmail journalists that support wikilieaks isn't redeemable just because some of them do malicious things?

If you're judging people based on a minority, we're all fucked.
we're all fucked anyway doesn't matter what anyone says or does at this point
That emo teenager "We're all doomed anyway" crap is a cop-out.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2011/02/06/anonymous-takes-revenge-on-security-firm-for-trying-to-sell-supporters-details-to-fbi/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108138-Anonymous-Uncovers-Corruption-in-Wisconsin-Labor-Dispute
Sure hackers can do some good but thats like saying Skeletor is a good guy because he didn't kill one puppy after he massacred a town.
Captain Bobbossa said:
I can understand some support when they come to the defense of people who didn't actually do anything wrong, but it's when they pull something like this is when I don't understand why anyone would back hackers doing a move like this.
Emphasis mine. What did you do, scour the internet for the most obvious case of false equivocation you could find? That's as silly as the rape analogy that got used earlier, too, or the idea that anything has actually occured AT ALL here, except some thoroughly unethical writer trying to get more hits on a website. Sony said "our data may have been compromised" and then some asshole hack on the Escapist posts a "news" article that says "SONY ADMITS ALL CREDIT CARD DATA PIRATED RUN FOR THE GODAMN HILLS!" and now suddenly Anon is raping ladies wearing inviting dresses and George Hotz is murdering the entire populations of small towns?

Fuckin' sheeple.

The only thing that has "happened" at all here is either A) No data was stolen and Sony is an criminal asshat of a corporation for pretending a crime was committed when it wasn't or B) Data was stolen and Sony decided to sit on the information because they couldn't care less about their customer's data security.

Here is some useful information on the subject, and without blatant lies for a headline: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gx6o4/im_a_moderator_over_at_psxscenecom_the_real/

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
Generally, not one of us knows whats really gone on.
We don't know if our DATA has been lost, found, corrupted, or used.
We don't know who did this or there motives.
Unless someone has had data used against their wishes, then NO offence has taken place (yet)
We can't blame Phony ( yes I am BIG & clever ) for the fault/attack?, but the only levelling
should be in the mild form of waiting too long to inform people.

Lawsuits, suing people, for what offence?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
You are an idiot.

They have a really obvious point. So my bank details are just "knowledge" that sony has and it would be perfectly ok to just let someone else know what they are? No, that's apsolute rubbish. Even though you are the anti-sony troll that you are how can you not see that Geo is not in the wrong here? He has provided information to the world that could potentially (and probably did) expose very private and dangerous information of thousands and thousands of people. Wether he should be sued or not isn't even in question here, the fact is he should never have released that information. What if it was a bank instead of sony? What if it was your bank? Would you still be holding to your guns then? What if Geo gave your credit/debit card details over to some random stranger, would you still be sticking to your guns about this? I doubt it.
Your bank details? That isn't knowledge. It's data.

Knowing how to hack in and take it is knowledge. Sharing the information to hack banks is legal, but if anyone uses the information to attack a bank, then it's punishable. Besides, banks protect their customer data better than Soney at least.

Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about.
You're telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about when the words you're saying are absolutely ludicrous!

What GeoHotz did is inexcusable. Just because it's there, doesn't give ANYONE the right to go for the jugular and obtain it! It's not there to be spread around, he shouldn't have even been searching for it in the first place! Nothing he's done has been "right" or "moral"! If anything, he's been completely the opposite. In D&D terms, he can only be classified as Chaotic Evil.
Funny, I'd put him as Chaotic Good -- doing the right thing, regardless of what the law says or what the consequences may be. Because yes, people own the hardware they buy, and they do have every right to do with it as they please.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
You are an idiot.

They have a really obvious point. So my bank details are just "knowledge" that sony has and it would be perfectly ok to just let someone else know what they are? No, that's apsolute rubbish. Even though you are the anti-sony troll that you are how can you not see that Geo is not in the wrong here? He has provided information to the world that could potentially (and probably did) expose very private and dangerous information of thousands and thousands of people. Wether he should be sued or not isn't even in question here, the fact is he should never have released that information. What if it was a bank instead of sony? What if it was your bank? Would you still be holding to your guns then? What if Geo gave your credit/debit card details over to some random stranger, would you still be sticking to your guns about this? I doubt it.
Your bank details? That isn't knowledge. It's data.

Knowing how to hack in and take it is knowledge. Sharing the information to hack banks is legal, but if anyone uses the information to attack a bank, then it's punishable. Besides, banks protect their customer data better than Soney at least.

Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about.
You're telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about when the words you're saying are absolutely ludicrous!

What GeoHotz did is inexcusable. Just because it's there, doesn't give ANYONE the right to go for the jugular and obtain it! It's not there to be spread around, he shouldn't have even been searching for it in the first place! Nothing he's done has been "right" or "moral"! If anything, he's been completely the opposite. In D&D terms, he can only be classified as Chaotic Evil.
That's your opinion based on your political system that implies merely knowing how to do something can be illegal rather than actually commiting the act.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
I usually remove my information after buying stuff, but there is always going to be that nagging feeling of "what if I forgot to the last time I bought something". I told my parents about it (as it is their card I use) but they refuse to change their credit card numbers as it would be "too difficult". What really sucks is I can't even log on to check what information I had on there. Hopefully this all gets resolved without too much hassle.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Emergent said:
Fuckin' sheeple.

The only thing that has "happened" at all here is either A) No data was stolen and Sony is an criminal asshat of a corporation for pretending a crime was committed when it wasn't or B) Data was stolen and Sony decided to sit on the information because they couldn't care less about their customer's data security.
1.) Never call me that again.

2.) You're missing the point; this should have never happened in the first place.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Nurb said:
tony2077 said:
Nurb said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:

Captain Bobbossa said:
Exposing government corruption that shows they were working with a private security company to blackmail journalists that support wikilieaks isn't redeemable just because some of them do malicious things?

If you're judging people based on a minority, we're all fucked.
we're all fucked anyway doesn't matter what anyone says or does at this point
That emo teenager "We're all doomed anyway" crap is a cop-out.
one not a teenager and 2 i've seen too much stupidity to not think it

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Sebster 105 said:
I still think it's the retards at Anon
and to think a fortnight ago they were all "We're on your side, really"

I know Anon said it wasn't them but who buys that?
Except anon doesn't steal information for no reason. They may fuck with your shit, but never attack for financial gain.
Oh well as long as they only fuck with my shit for some contrived bullshit reason they came up with...

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
well, I never gave any real data. whoever finds my data will think I live in United Arab Emirates, and I only use psn cards to buy stuff anyway

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Funny, I'd put him as Chaotic Good -- doing the right thing, regardless of what the law says or what the consequences may be. Because yes, people own the hardware they buy, and they do have every right to do with it as they please.
No, that's just being an obnoxious, elitist jerk. He wasn't "doing the right thing" at all, because it's not even remotely a moral thing to do. He's not a hero, or a saint, or anything helpful to the industry that PROVIDES us with games. With your logic, I won't be surprised if the games industry dies off and designers lose interest in supporting their games because of people like GeoHotz and people who support his stupidity..

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Emergent said:
Fuckin' sheeple.
I didn't call you anything.

But let's pretend I did. Or what?

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
2.) You're missing the point; this should have never happened in the first place.
No, I'm not. "This" hasn't happened AT ALL. "This" is a PR move by Sony to convince customers to blame someone else for a network outage combined with a ridiculously incompetent and/or biased reporter passing off outright lies as journalism.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Emergent said:
Fuckin' sheeple.

What would they even have to gain by doing this Option A and B make no sense.
They were caught unaware when they shouldn't have been free service or not.
Sony is a professional company they should always be ready and up to date.
The fact that they weren't worries me that Sony is in more of a bind then we thought.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Emergent said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Emergent said:
Fuckin' sheeple.
I didn't call you anything.

But let's pretend I did. Or what?

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
No, I'm not. "This" hasn't happened AT ALL. "This" is a PR move by Sony to convince customers to blame someone else for a network outage combined with a ridiculously incompetent and/or biased reporter passing off outright lies as journalism.
This shouldn't have happened in the first place refers to PSN going down. Now before I begin insulting you I'm just gonna walk away knowing I'm right.
Try and look at the big picture h-uh?