Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
pokepuke said:
Kadoodle said:
It was secure and stable until Hotz decided to stick his dick into the mechanism. Fucker makes me mad.
Because you're a security expert and not a random dude on the internets.

­
Being a security expert is irrelevant. Hotz proved that the ps3 could be hacked. Hackers had pretty much given up till he hacked it. There is a huge likelyhood that other hackers caught on and started tapping wells elsewhere. Even so, he started it. He lit the cigarette near the puddle of gasoline. It's starting to ignite; its up to sony to put it out.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Emergent said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Emergent said:
Fuckin' sheeple.
1.) Never call me that again.
I didn't call you anything.

But let's pretend I did. Or what?

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
2.) You're missing the point; this should have never happened in the first place.
No, I'm not. "This" hasn't happened AT ALL. "This" is a PR move by Sony to convince customers to blame someone else for a network outage combined with a ridiculously incompetent and/or biased reporter passing off outright lies as journalism.
Oh? How long have you been close-minded and irrational for exactly..? Because that's all I'm seeing in that post. That and outright paranoia that corporations and governments are out to get you. It must be so sad.. Sorry.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
GrimHeaper said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Emergent said:
Fuckin' sheeple.

The only thing that has "happened" at all here is either A) No data was stolen and Sony is an criminal asshat of a corporation for pretending a crime was committed when it wasn't or B) Data was stolen and Sony decided to sit on the information because they couldn't care less about their customer's data security.

2.) You're missing the point; this should have never happened in the first place.
What would they even have to gain by doing this Option A and B make no sense.
They were caught unaware when they shouldn't have been free service or not.
Sony is a professional company they should always be ready and up to date.
The fact that they weren't worries me that Sony is in more of a bind then we thought.
The bold bits are what I'm trying to get across but apparently can't.
If Sony was as prepared as they're suppose to be this wouldn't have happened.

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
Emergent said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Emergent said:
Fuckin' sheeple.
I didn't call you anything.

But let's pretend I did. Or what?

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
You're missing the Goddamned point. "This" hasn't happened AT ALL. "This" is a PR move by Sony to convince customers to blame someone else for a network outage combined with a ridiculously incompetent and/or biased reporter passing off outright lies as journalism.

So the plan is to wipe out a huge chunk of the share price of your own company, at a time of national financial frailty by blaming someone else for your own outage? This is your point?
( which isn't fact) Wow !

mbulsht

Mar 16, 2010
This is why I'm not retarded enough to do anything by credit card online. The hackers here can have my home address and my throwaway email. Go ahead and spam me, I don't care. But you'll never have my money.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
Nice secure system there Sony. Way to fuck up. At least RRoD only killed your system and didn't give out all your information at the same time.

Oh and I am still supporting the people who did this. How do you leave such a glaring issue in the system without fixing it? Thats asking for trouble. At least now Sony has to get their system together. If it didn't happen now, it was going to somewhere down the line and Sony still would have done nothing about it until then. Great company.
You support the people that did this?
Really?

It doesn't matter if this security hole is there if there are no dicks to exploit it.
You support the purposeful downfall of a system that holds a lot of information on people and plays a massive role in millions of peoples' lives?

This issue wasn't glaring before Sony fucked up and removed Other OS, but that move was their prerogative as a company trying to protect itself. In hind-sight it didn't work out that way, but still, supporting an action that cripples an entire infrastructure is a fairly poor choice.

There are zero benefits to this happening, because even through the re-building it's an unusable service, limiting the consumer and alienating people all the while.
And it doesn't matter that it caused Sony to "buck up their ideas and make a stand", because they shouldn't have to fight to protect themselves anyway.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wow...This brings fucking up to a new level. This is one of the few times I'm glad I'm not a PS3 owner right now.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Funny, I'd put him as Chaotic Good -- doing the right thing, regardless of what the law says or what the consequences may be. Because yes, people own the hardware they buy, and they do have every right to do with it as they please.
No, that's just being an obnoxious, elitist jerk. He wasn't "doing the right thing" at all, because it's not even remotely a moral thing to do. He's not a hero, or a saint, or anything helpful to the industry that PROVIDES us with games. With your logic, I won't be surprised if the games industry dies off and designers lose interest in supporting their games because of people like GeoHotz and people who support his stupidity..
Hey, from my point of view, protecting consumer rights from greedy corporations is inarguably good. I'm sorry you've let anti-piracy rhetoric brainwash you to the point that you don't see it that way.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
If the data was stolen 6 days ago, I wonder why nothing has happened since then? I haven't heard any reports of missing money from checking accounts or anything else of nature, I would have thought that the hackers would have used some of this information by now.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
If the data was stolen 6 days ago, I wonder why nothing has happened since then? I haven't heard any reports of missing money from checking accounts or anything else of nature, I would have thought that the hackers would have used some of this information by now.
If you read the article, it says "We BELIEVE information was taken". You could put that to almost anything, and it doesn't make it true. It's just the news reporter using a definitive word like "admits" to attack sony or something.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
There aren't enough free games they could give to make up for this.

Likely, they'll do absolutely nothing.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
UberMore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Nice secure system there Sony. Way to fuck up. At least RRoD only killed your system and didn't give out all your information at the same time.

Oh and I am still supporting the people who did this. How do you leave such a glaring issue in the system without fixing it? Thats asking for trouble. At least now Sony has to get their system together. If it didn't happen now, it was going to somewhere down the line and Sony still would have done nothing about it until then. Great company.
You support the people that did this?
Really?

It doesn't matter if this security hole is there if there are no dicks to exploit it.
You support the purposeful downfall of a system that holds a lot of information on people and plays a massive role in millions of peoples' lives?

This issue wasn't glaring before Sony fucked up and removed Other OS, but that move was their prerogative as a company trying to protect itself. In hind-sight it didn't work out that way, but still, supporting an action that cripples an entire infrastructure is a fairly poor choice.

There are zero benefits to this happening, because even through the re-building it's an unusable service, limiting the consumer and alienating people all the while.
And it doesn't matter that it caused Sony to "buck up their ideas and make a stand", because they shouldn't have to fight to protect themselves anyway.
There is one benefit learning from your mistakes and fixing ones flaws.
This should make Sony beef up their security.
Even the killing of millions technically has an upside.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Hey, from my point of view, protecting consumer rights from greedy corporations is inarguably good. I'm sorry you've let anti-piracy rhetoric brainwash you to the point that you don't see it that way.
Why yes, I am very much anti-piracy. Very, VERY much so. For you see, I actually want to be a game designer in the future. It's idiots like you, supporting piracy and free illegal downloading/access to games and hacking/cheating in games (which are all things that hackers AND crackers are capable of AND succeed in doing) that make game designers want to just not support the dying industry anymore. It show you have NO respect for people who work day in and day out, creating massive games which just end up being leaked or pirated for free via torrents.

Yes. You people make me sick.
And you people make me sick, with your industry cheerleading and your willingness to give up your own basic rights because some suit wants more money. Incidentally, I don't pirate videogames, and that's not just me trying to avoid the banhammer.

Edit: Note I said "anti-piracy rhetoric" has swayed you to an illogical opinion, not "you are anti piracy, therefore an idiot." You might want to look up the meaning of the word "rhetoric."

Edit Edit: Also, dying industry? In a down economy, the games industry has been posting record profits. Brainwashed by rhetoric indeed.

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
Seeing as were all talking about bending over and taking one.. I've just tortured myself by watching the new blops zombie trailer, to be launched 3rd may (xbox, don't ban me for this word!) buffy, machete, freddie, rooker and george romero on a frozen ship! I'll put that on my christmas list for now then.

If your into S&M:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJBc_BE3Ws&feature=player_detailpage

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
subtlefuge said:

Why should they, really? They didn't do the hacking. Whether or not their security was in shambles is ANOTHER issue entirely (and let me state that if it IS revealed that they were hiding this and actually DID know, rather than legitimately not knowing what happened and toiling away to work out where it went wrong, THEN I will be pissed at Sony, but only slightly. I'm still very much pissed at the inconsiderate hackers.)

So yes.. If they WERE hiding something about it, then sure. Free games for everyone~ (Not that I care, because I'm only a PSP user to Sony anyway)

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
subtlefuge said:

Sad thing is, is you're probably right. I doubt Sony will do anything to make this up to their consumers besides a PSN message and a formal apology.
If they want my forgiveness they're gonna have to buy me 3 brand new games at $60 a pop AND buy me a months supply of cake.
... Mmmm... Cake

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You know what, this doesn't even surprise me. I'm not even any more angry and/or disgusted with Sony that it took so long for them to release this announcement (either it took them some time after learning this to tell us which is a dick move, or it took them this long to actually find out which makes them look really really dumb).

No, what pisses me off about this is that now so many people think every single hacker in the universe is some piece of shit scumbag like the ones who did this, and that anyone who can tell the difference between good hackers and bad hackers is also shit. I'm not even going to try to point out the difference anymore either; these people cannot be reasoned with and I don't feel like getting flamed for having a brain.

I'll just be over here taking solace in the fact that I never left my CC info in my PSN account after I bought something (BTW, anyone still think I'm paranoid for doing that? No? Thought so.) and that I only used my PSN password for PSN rather that using that same password for a whole bunch of sites.

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
This is the final nail in the coffin for me. I've now totally lost all faith in Sony Corp (the other nails came from the cluster-fuck that is the PSPGo). If I didn't already own a PS3, I certainly wouldn't buy one now.