Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Hey, from my point of view, protecting consumer rights from greedy corporations is inarguably good. I'm sorry you've let anti-piracy rhetoric brainwash you to the point that you don't see it that way.
Why yes, I am very much anti-piracy. Very, VERY much so. For you see, I actually want to be a game designer in the future. It's idiots like you, supporting piracy and free illegal downloading/access to games and hacking/cheating in games (which are all things that hackers AND crackers are capable of AND succeed in doing) that make game designers want to just not support the dying industry anymore. It show you have NO respect for people who work day in and day out, creating massive games which just end up being leaked or pirated for free via torrents.

Yes. You people make me sick.
How do you feel about games that are really old and impossible for everyone to obtain via purchase? I would assume you wouldn't want someone to miss out on your work. Piracy by all means is bad I agree with this, however do you have any exceptions to this?
Also, how do you feel about places like Gamestop that just cut companies that made the games out of the profits altogether from used games and circulate those used games in a loop?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
mjc0961 said:
I'll just be over here taking solace in the fact that I never left my CC info in my PSN account after I bought something (BTW, anyone still think I'm paranoid for doing that? No? Thought so.) and that I only used my PSN password for PSN rather that using that same password for a whole bunch of sites.
People keep saying this, and something has been nagging me for a while; nowhere in the article did it say that it was the stored list of credit card numbers that consumers left for later use. It said it was the company's credit card database. For all we know, that could be the list of every transaction they've ever had; wouldn't it make more sense for the option to save your credit card information for later use to be client side, or at least stored separately from the other information?

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
subtlefuge said:
There aren't enough free games they could give to make up for this.

Likely, they'll do absolutely nothing.
Sad thing is, is you're probably right. I doubt Sony will do anything to make this up to their consumers besides a PSN message and a formal apology.
If they want my forgiveness they're gonna have to buy me 3 brand new games at $60 a pop AND buy me a months supply of cake.
... Mmmm... Cake
I'm with Sinatra and cake

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
Kadoodle said:
Being a security expert is irrelevant. Hotz proved that the ps3 could be hacked. Hackers had pretty much given up till he hacked it. There is a huge likelyhood that other hackers caught on and started tapping wells elsewhere. Even so, he started it. He lit the cigarette near the puddle of gasoline. It's starting to ignite; its up to sony to put it out.
So, being a non-security expert, you've still not mentioned any link between the two events, and you've gone as far as revising history to make it seem like GeoHotz was the guy that hacked the PS3. You're just wrong. You can pick any point and it is wrong.

Kadoodle said:
It was secure and stable until Hotz decided to stick his dick into the mechanism. Fucker makes me mad.
Still wrong.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
subtlefuge said:

Sad thing is, is you're probably right. I doubt Sony will do anything to make this up to their consumers besides a PSN message and a formal apology.
If they want my forgiveness they're gonna have to buy me 3 brand new games at $60 a pop AND buy me a months supply of cake.
... Mmmm... Cake
At the most I see free wallpapers and arcade games or something.
Things that don't cost the company anything, but would still cost you money for access.
Probably crappy games.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
MattAn24 said:
subtlefuge said:

Why should they, really? They didn't do the hacking. Whether or not their security was in shambles is ANOTHER issue entirely (and let me state that if it IS revealed that they were hiding this and actually DID know, rather than legitimately not knowing what happened and toiling away to work out where it went wrong, THEN I will be pissed at Sony, but only slightly. I'm still very much pissed at the inconsiderate hackers.)

So yes.. If they WERE hiding something about it, then sure. Free games for everyone~ (Not that I care, because I'm only a PSP user to Sony anyway)
I disagree. They may not have an obligation to maintain your security, but other companies will, and what's to stop people from going where they know their highly sensitive financial and personal information is safe?

They may not have to, but that's little consolation to everyone who just had their identity stolen. Sony at least had some suspicion that identities were compromised, they probably just didn't want to cause a fuss. Which happens to be great, because the best thing to do when your identity is stolen is to sit around and do nothing for half a week.

This is really one of those things you just can't come back from.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You realize not all hackers are "good". Most are out for the money and could not care less about the consumer.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
How do you feel about games that are really old and impossible for everyone to obtain via purchase? I would assume you wouldn't want someone to miss out on your work. Piracy by all means is bad I agree with this, however do you have any exceptions to this?
Also, how do you feel about places like Gamestop that just cut companies that made the games out of the profits altogether from used games and circulate those used games in a loop?
Even that is being rectified with all the Sega Collections and Wii's Virtual Console, so older games are returning with somewhat better quality. As for even OLDER games, surely there are collectors and such still around..

I personally do return my used games to EBGames to sell for game credit towards other games (often the sequel or whatever in the series), but I still give back to the companies who originally made those games in other forms. Still, it's better to PAY for the product than hack into it and procure it for free illegally (and yes, that IS illegal)..

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
MattAn24 said:
GrimHeaper said:
Even that is being rectified with all the Sega Collections and Wii's Virtual Console, so older games are returning with somewhat better quality. As for even OLDER games, surely there are collectors and such still around..

I personally do return my used games to EBGames to sell for game credit towards other games (often the sequel or whatever in the series), but I still give back to the companies who originally made those games in other forms. Still, it's better to PAY for the product than hack into it and procure it for free illegally (and yes, that IS illegal)..
Those collections are incomplete, largely because of rights issues. Further, the people who actually made those games aren't getting a cent off of those collections, because the games industry is built on a model where the publisher owns pretty much everything. So who are you giving back to, again?

Edit: you're also way too hung up on piracy. I have a homebrew enabled Wii, and an Mp3 player with custom firmware. In both cases, I did it for the added functionality, not because it incidentally allows me to pirate videogames. [sub]besides, the custom firmware for the mp3 player came with a lot of nifty little open source games; why would I bother to pirate games for it, when it comes with all that? It's almost like you're afraid that the open source hippies will kill your industry, and replace it with free love games for everyone -- that's free as in air, not free as in "free cookies!"[/sub]

qwertyz

Mar 19, 2011
Thank God I only obtained my DLC's and other, various download-ables through use of a PSN card.

I am safe... right?

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
BlueMage said:
Hackers this, hackers that ... not a one of you (apologies for gross generalisation) seems to know what a hacker actually is and what they do.
Do they...hack?
Not in the context most are using it. Someone with access to security neutralisation tools is not, by virtue of that fact alone, a hacker.

Now, if said individual also has a deep working knowledge of the system...

Let me put it another way: If I'm a disgruntled former employee who remembers a password into the system that the admin gave me because they were busy and I needed to install an Office module, and I use that backdoor to access sensitive information, does that make me a hacker?

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
GrimHeaper said:
What would they even have to gain by doing this Option A and B make no sense.
They were caught unaware when they shouldn't have been free service or not.
Sony is a professional company they should always be ready and up to date.
The fact that they weren't worries me that Sony is in more of a bind then we thought.
Basically, it's about saving face (it is a Japanese owned company). Not as a corporation, but on behalf of the actual individual executives and employees this shitstorm will roll down to. It's a lot easier to say "we think someone may have compromised our data" than to say "we just got pwned." You're also less likely to lose your job that way.

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
This shouldn't have happened in the first place refers to PSN going down. Now before I begin insulting you I'm just gonna walk away knowing I'm right.
Try and look at the big picture h-uh?
First I wanna throw out there that "I just know I'm right" has to be the best argument I've ever seen leveled with a straight face. It's ironclad. Bravo, sir, for distilling all of debate into a single, unalienable maxim. Moving on... hey, I agree with you on the PSN-Shouldn't-Be-Down thing, it just helps to remember that "hakz0rs" didn't take it down: Sony did.

MattAn24 said:
Emergent said:
No, I'm not. "This" hasn't happened AT ALL. "This" is a PR move by Sony to convince customers to blame someone else for a network outage combined with a ridiculously incompetent and/or biased reporter passing off outright lies as journalism.
Oh? How long have you been close-minded and irrational for exactly..? Because that's all I'm seeing in that post. That and outright paranoia that corporations and governments are out to get you. It must be so sad.. Sorry.
It's okay, I knew you were sorry. Just kidding. I mean, you can see whatever you want in my post, but if you can't get that the reporter is absolutely making a mountain out of a molehill here when he takes a press release that says "we might be compromised" and turns it into "SONY ADMITS EVERYTHING HAS BEEN TAKEN! EVERY FUCKING THING!" is irresponsible, you're just fucking blind, bro. Also, where did I mention the government?

greenitedaze said:
So the plan is to wipe out a huge chunk of the share price of your own company, at a time of national financial frailty by blaming someone else for your own outage? This is your point?
( which isn't fact) Wow !
Well, yes, actually, it's certainly a better plan than blaming yourself.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
MattAn24 said:
GrimHeaper said:

Hard copys are hard to come by,expensive, and are not numerous enough.
While it's true that some of them are restored you have to keep in mind sometimes the original work is altered in some way and the experience isn't the same.(I want Earthbound remade on the 3DS)

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Vanbael said:
Yokai said:
Cripes. I would say I'm happy I'm a PC gamer, but if PSN got steamrolled this badly, who's to say the same thing couldn't happen to Steam?
Exactly, all major networks should be worried about this. Steam and Live shouldn't be watching idly and laughing as they have a multimillion dollar network behind them.
We are thinking and worrying far too narrowly with this one. This is a rather nasty and specific hack using firmware loaded on an unexpected and specialized data device used to specifically access the service in question.

Has anyone else seen the videos of people jailbreaking Kindles and loading stuff like Linux on it? Does anyone see where I am going with this, and what the huge exposure there is?

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
Oh and I am still supporting the people who did this. How do you leave such a glaring issue in the system without fixing it? Thats asking for trouble. At least now Sony has to get their system together. If it didn't happen now, it was going to somewhere down the line and Sony still would have done nothing about it until then. Great company.
Well we don't know what happened. You have to remember, all that anti-hacker software/hardware isn't going to stop a hacker, rather that's impossible at this point in technology, it's all focused on tracing the connection back to the hacker who did it. I mean government systems have been hacked, military movements have been monitered and only a couple months later been figured out (nothing came of it though IIRC). The PS3 though is the least protected of the consoles IIRC, with the Xbox 360 as the strongest protection, rather ironic considering the track record of Windows.

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
Heres to hoping it won't make sony kneel. You know... suing for wierd reasons and paybacks for this hacking etc.

Just saying.