Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I am now incredibly glad that I only bought my PS3 this past weekend, after all this shit had already gone down. When I eventually get a PSN account signed up, I'm half tempted to use a false name and address and only pay for stuff with pre-paid cards.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Wow am I glad I sold my shares of Sony off before this shit hit the fan.

Really a horrible turn of events, but I guess the console wars just lost one competitor!

Seriously. How many points down do you think Sony will go due to this?

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Damn it, I can't remember, did I give them my bank card information or not? Fucking hackers!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
Yes, it was Sony who put PSN down and stole all your credit card information. They basically gave the info away, right?

No they didn't, it got HACKED, I.E gotten through illegitimate means.. Sony can't do anything about it, and that's why PSN is down and they're designing a new network now.

Is it 'Sony stole your credit card information'? No. It's 'Hackers stole your credit card information'.

Besides, if you do believe it's Sony's fault, you're the one who gave them the credit card information in the first place.. (yes I know that's a fallacy but think about it :p)
Nobody's saying "Sony stole it". Everyone's saying "Sony should've protected it better".

What kind of a fucking excuse is this? Yeah, it got hacked. We know. Doesn't mean that we, as customers, expect our info to not leak anywhere anyhow. I don't care whether it's stolen or Sony just hands it out to random people - none of my business. I want it to remain confidential, by which means - I don't care.

Also, "designing a new network". Well, that makes it so much better for everyone whose information has been leaked.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Hide ya kids
Hide ya wife
And hide ya husband
cause they hackin' errbody out here

Whether they had anything to do with it or not, I think Anonymous is going to come under real fire.

Or perhaps whoever did this timed the exploit perfectly to set up Anon at large as fall guys?

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Spangles said:
Awexsome said:
insanelich said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
So you're blaming Geohot and "hackers"... for stealing your credit card data? Hah.

Nope, matey. This is just good old fashioned online criminals.
Online criminals who wouldn't have been able to do this without the help of Geohotz. And "hackers" those hackers are the criminals. They are one and the same. Period.
Serioulsy dude.. don't be dumb. You're flaming the wrong people.

How abaout you aim your ire at those who actually deserve it.. SONY!
How about you stop being blind? Sony's to blame for criminals stealing the info you gave to them?

So banks are to blame for robbery now?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I guess that explains why I'm suddenly getting a lot more junkmail. Fuuuuuuuuuu!!!

I guess the good news is that I already use a selection of different passwords and also that my old credit card just expired so I guess that's useless info to them.

Still, WTF!

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Catastrophic fail.

Good god, Sony. How are you fucking up so thoroughly? Were you storing this information in plain text?

I mean, the person responsible is obviously the culprit here, but how could they gain access to this data? That's messed up.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
blakfayt said:
tony2077 said:
i'm fucking glad the only way i bought stuff was with those cards that you get in stores. I'm not sure if i put any info on there that matters I'll have to check when it back up
Yeah, me too, about they only thing they got was my Email address and my home address. Just gotta change my PSN password, and we're done.
i think the password is the only thing i'll have to do anything with and hopefully I'll get to it before any hackers do

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
Anyone seen any details if this compromised PSN data might also include people who use other Sony online products? Like if you belong to a Sony MMO? Thanks!

Continuity

May 20, 2010
First reaction: LOLZ

Second reaction: OK that sucks pretty bad, I feel sorry for all the ppl with PSN accounts. There but for the grace of god (and hopefully better security) goes steam after all....

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Things to do:
Step 1: Watch records (though I have very little on my card, no big loss)
Step 2: If funds are stolen, report to authorities, they can investigate.

From what I know, it would be foolish to use a credit card of anyone else because of electronic records that can be traced. Everything else is general info, though I may need to update my password which is easy. ID theft isn't likely.

But for users, we shouldn't sit on our asses complaining at Sony. I say this because the only thing that Sony couldn't expect more is the Spanish Inquisition.

I'm not one to give into scams either. And if they are going to set up a scam, they are begging to be targeted by authorities.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Well, this is the fault of both Sony, and the hackers.

Sony for not keeping our data safe, and the hackers for hacking into the system.

It kinda reminds me of Alien vs Predator, whoever wins we lose.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Oh dear. [http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=downer]

That is most certainly not good. Well done, Sony. I wish that I had GLaDOS' slow clap processor.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
wow. i guess it's never been a better time to be solely an Xbox guy.

tough luck PS3 fans

EDIT: To add to this. looks like the PS3 now has something catastrophic about it that's just as bad as RROD to make fun of.