Sony CEO Dismisses Calls for PS3 Price Cut

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
buy teh haloz said:
Well sony's basically caught between a rock and a hard place now.

You have consumers, Activision and all of these other companies saying, "We have had enough of your bullshit, lower the fucking price", and then you have Stringer on the other hand saying
"Listen you fucktards, this thing is expensive to create, and I lose money on every Playstation made."

It's a very wishy washy situation, but the question is, wouldn't they lose less and gain MORE if they lowered the price point?
Depends really, especially when people say this:

CinosNroca said:
If the price went down, I might actually consider buying one.
Sony doesn't want you consider buying a PS3 if the price went down. Sony wants to know that you will purchase their system.
I know I would buy one, if the price dropped =3

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Microsoft lost money on every Xbox made. They gained money back on the game sales. However, they were doing that basically from the get-go when they launched the platform. I'm not sure how it would pan out switching to that strategy several years into the generation's life-cycle.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
Though I did find it funny when saying there putting pressure on activsion how ?
Activision makes loads money has lots successful franchises and making games for the ps3 isnt that profitable for them?
Sony has depts piling up and is driving away software developers left right and centre!

Yes sony your big boy your not getting yourself in to trouble when you speak.
Sony owns many of the songs used in the Guitar Hero franchise and some movie rights that Activision publish. If Activision were to cut support from Sony, Sony could easily cut support from Activision back by refusing to allow their published music and movie (007 is one I can think of) thereby practically destroying the Guitar Hero franchise.

That's how Sony has at least some power in this dick-waving contest.

But as for the article, I'm glad this guy called out Kotic's noise making, and the fact that he said "We're losing god damn money, we can't do anything!" but allas, a price cut is needed for the PS3 eventually. Right now I think the price of it is greatly overhyped for reasons stated before me, but there's no doubt that eventually a price cut will have to be issued.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Jumplion said:
murphy7801 said:
Though I did find it funny when saying there putting pressure on activsion how ?
Activision makes loads money has lots successful franchises and making games for the ps3 isnt that profitable for them?
Sony has depts piling up and is driving away software developers left right and centre!

Sony owns many of the songs used in the Guitar Hero franchise and some movie rights that Activision publish. If Activision were to cut support from Sony, Sony could easily cut support from Activision back by refusing to allow their published music and movie (007 is one I can think of) thereby practically destroying the Guitar Hero franchise.

But as for the article, I'm glad this guy called out Kotic's noise making, and the fact that he said "We're losing god damn money, we can't do anything!" but allas, a price cut is needed for the PS3 eventually. Right now I think the price of it is greatly overhyped for reasons stated before me, but there's no doubt that eventually a price cut will have to be issued.
Im sure they can get by with sony music

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
I'm sure you don't know exactly how many songs Sony owns (I'll admit, I don't either, but I'll happily do the research). Sony owns many of the songs put on the Guitar Hero games. I am sure that if they cut off all of their song rights to be used, you'd see Activision struggling to find other songs not to mention not have many well known songs.

Sony has more power in that then you think.

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
The difference in price is 100 bucks. Less if you plan on getting accessories for the 360, or you just want an elite. But forget that for a second.

If you get/have a job and save for a few months (which is about the time difference between now and the holidays; the likely price cut time anyways) you could afford one if you actually wanted it. If you don't actually want it, or only want it for a game or two, then don't ***** about the price. Sony isn't going to hand out PS3s just because people want them. I want a Ferrari, but no one's going to hand me one.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
murphy7801 said:
Jumplion said:
murphy7801 said:

yes but they make alot money from the using of those songs if want to lose even more money ?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
yes but they make alot money from the using of those songs if want to lose even more money ?
...but if Activision cut support, then Sony would already lose a substantial amount of money. If Sony cut support from Activision, then Activision would be the one to reconsider.

Look at the song list in Guitar Hero 1 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Guitar_Hero]. Now look at the list of Sony owned labels [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_BMG_labels].

Now click on every band in the song list and look at their "Label(s)" tab to the side. If one of those labels is owned by Sony, then that band is effectively out of the Guitar Hero franchise. I already have Motorhead, Ozzy Ozbourne, Audioslave, Blue Oyster Cult, Franz Ferdinan, and Black Sabbath. And that's only bands from the first Guitar Hero.

EDIT: And after looking into more of these, Sony just through Legacy Recordings [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_Recordings] has AC/DC, The Allman Brothers Band, Louis Armstrong, The Bangles, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Earth Wind & Fire, Men at Work, Blue Öyster Cult, as well as others. Some of them are debatable, but yes, Sony owns alot of bands and songs.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Wingmna said:
You totally missed his point buddy, are you seriously that thick?
Fixed.
Well it's nice to know that you immediately turn to insulting me. How's your comfort blanket?
Let's break down your post shall we?

Let me spell it out for you, "MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE ENCOURAGED TO BUY THE PS3 IF THEY LOWERED THE PRICE".
It is still a big risk if people will only say "maybe" even if Sony lowered the price.
All caps text does not make you sound smart.

You may think you sound smart by stating 'oh lol but doesnt meant ull ACTUALY by 1 lol',
Don't ever do that again. Do not insult my intelligence.

Because ATM, considering 360 has better range of games AND better online, the price tag on the PS3 is pretty large considering.
The 360's ratio of bad games to good is far worse than the PS3's.
I will admit that XBL has a better interface, but I will not say that the community is better, because then I'd be lying.

The buyer you quoted is much like me, I would probably buy a PS3 if the price was worth it,
You said probably, it would be more worth it for Sony to have a definitely instead of a indecisive "probably."

but even my cousin is going to get a 360 even though he already has a PS3. Why? Because the 360 base is larger (BECAUSE it is cheaper. so his mates have 360s, they can share games) hence the 360 has a larger range of games.
1.) I care about your cousin why?
2.) Good for him, I guess he has different tastes.

You are completely moronic if you actually think the price of the PS3 has no factor on why it is not selling well.
Now you are putting words into my mouth. Congratulations you have made your argument less credible.
I know the PS3 is expensive and that people don't want to shovel out that much money for a game system.

Sony had ALL the advantages, just look at the PS2, yet they completely failed with the PS3.
And you call me ignorant. Don't count the PS3 out just yet. It lost a lot of consumers, but the ones that stayed are growing, and our influence is getting stronger.

Please, go away you rich + stupid PS3 fanboy (since all the non-rich PS2 owners either moved onto the 360 or the Wii).
So rich people are now stupid? Well I'm sorry I've saved my hard earned money to pay for my PS3, 360, and PC.
By governmental standards I'm rather poor I only make around $12,000 a year. (Note: I live on my own, pay taxes, rent, utilities, food, and college tuition.)

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
owner276 said:
I'm amazed that Sony has managed to survive this long...They need to stop being arrogant dickheads, and try to help the fans if they want to succeed. I mean, at least Microsoft and Nintendo occasionally listen to their fans, and (gasp!) admit they were wrong...
Wow. Automatically assuming that Microsoft and Nintendo AREN'T the same arrogant dicks? You really neeed some help for such stupidity.

I'm gonna say it. Sony is the best because it's fans are the best. Why? Because of 90% of people in this thread. If you all weren't such horribly biased fanboys against Sony, then I would be glad to take that back.

But no. You're all showing your immaturity by once again claiming the PS3 isn't worth it. Even if they dropped the price, none of you would buy it. You're all a bunch of fanboys who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw you.

I'm frankly surprised the mods haven't put the lot of you on probation for all the crap spewing out of your mouths.

And I apologize to those people in this thread who actually know what they're saying and aren't mouthing off Sony just because it's cool. And I frankly wish there were more of you.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Jumplion said:
murphy7801 said:
...but if Activision cut support, then Sony would already lose a substantial amount of money. If Sony cut support from Activision, then Activision would be the one to reconsider.

Look at the song list in Guitar Hero 1 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Guitar_Hero]. Now look at the list of Sony owned labels [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_BMG_labels].

Now click on every band in the song list and look at their "Label(s)" tab to the side. If one of those labels is owned by Sony, then that band is effectively out of the Guitar Hero franchise. I already have Motorhead, Ozzy Ozbourne, Audioslave, Blue Oyster Cult, Franz Ferdinan, and Black Sabbath. And that's only bands from the first Guitar Hero.

EDIT: And after looking into more of these, Sony just through Legacy Recordings [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_Recordings] has AC/DC, The Allman Brothers Band, Louis Armstrong, The Bangles, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Earth Wind & Fire, Men at Work, Blue Öyster Cult, as well as others. Some of them are debatable, but yes, Sony owns alot of bands and songs.
sony records and sony playstation are different deps of same company Im unsure if they would stop an source of income.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I do not understand why Sony cannot simply count their losses, give up on the PS3, drop back on the PS2, and consider their next system from the large wealth of knowledge gathered over this console war. The only thing flying a burning plane is going to conclude in is a nose dive into the ground.

I honestly have about as much interest in a PS3 as I do in paying extra money for the same dvds I currently own, but shinier.

But if an affordable new Sony ÜberSystem came out with cheaper but still somewhat quality materials and backwards compatibility to the PS2, a game system that is easier and less costly to make games for, then I would give them more faith. Especially if they waited a while so that the release of the system meets with the release of many worthy games for it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
sony records and sony playstation are different deps of same company Im unsure if they would stop an source of income.
That would be completely untrue. It doesn't matter if they're different deparments of the same company, some interactions with cubicles is neccessary. Sony Marketing division, Sony Games division, Sony Music Division, Sony Film Division, Sony Television Division, they all work together one way or another.

Saying that because the Music division of Sony is spearate, that means that Sony won't do anything, is a little bit ignorant and shows that you have a fairly standard view in business, to be perfectly blunt.

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
In other words Activision had better watch what they say. Mouthing off to a giant like Sony is a really bad idea.
Sony has more power than people give credit for, they could easily ruin the Guitar Hero franchise just be shutting off support from the bands they own. Activision wants to play hardball? Fine, just be prepared for Sony to play leadball.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Jumplion said:
murphy7801 said:
That would be completely untrue. It doesn't matter if they're different deparments of the same company, some interactions with cubicles is neccessary. Sony Marketing division, Sony Games division, Sony Music Division, Sony Film Division, Sony Television Division, they all work together one way or another.

Saying that because the Music division of Sony is spearate, that means that Sony won't do anything, is a little bit ignorant and shows that you have a fairly standard view in business, to be perfectly blunt.

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
In other words Activision had better watch what they say. Mouthing off to a giant like Sony is a really bad idea.
Sony has more power than people give credit for, they could easily ruin the Guitar Hero franchise just be shutting off support from the bands they own. Activision wants to play hardball? Fine, just be prepared for Sony to play leadball.
Quite frankly your being ignorant that sony is heavily in dept an would be foolish to refuse any income.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
Quite frankly your being ignorant that sony is heavily in dept an would be foolish to refuse any income.
I never said Sony was in debt, but think about it for one minute.

Activision hypothetically drops support for Sony, thereby making Sony lose a huge game publisher with games like Modern Warfare 2 and the Guitar Hero franchise.

Sony, undetered by this, completely refuses Activision to use any songs or bands owned by any one of their companies in any of their Guitar Hero games.

Being that Sony owns many of the songs and bands staring in the Guitar Hero franchise, as well as more to come, Activision could not risk losing big name bads like Ozzy Ozbourne, Motorhead, Men At Work, or AC/DC.

Therefore, Activision must reconsider because they cannot lose that many songs and bands, and must give support back to the PS3.

Surprisingly, getting any income isn't the same as spending income to gain income. Just because you get $5 a pop doesn't mean you should settle for that when you know you can get back at them.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Jumplion said:
murphy7801 said:
I never said Sony was in debt, but think about it for one minute.

Activision hypothetically drops support for Sony, thereby making Sony lose a huge game publisher with games like Modern Warfare 2 and the Guitar Hero franchise.

Sony, undetered by this, completely refuses Activision to use any songs or bands owned by any one of their companies in any of their Guitar Hero games.

Being that Sony owns many of the songs and bands staring in the Guitar Hero franchise, as well as more to come, Activision could not risk losing big name bads like Ozzy Ozbourne, Motorhead, Men At Work, or AC/DC.

Therefore, Activision must reconsider because they cannot lose that many songs and bands, and must give support back to the PS3.

Surprisingly, getting any income isn't the same as spending income to gain income. Just because you get $5 a pop doesn't mean you should settle for that when you know you can get back at them.
Yes but sony business strategy have hardly been anything to speak of, of late.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I've said this in so many threads,the second that price is lowered I WILL BUY A PS3.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
I would not be surprised if they did, espcially considering the fact that the guy in the OP called Bobby out on it anyway.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Jumplion said:
murphy7801 said:
I would not be surprised if they did, espcially considering the fact that the guy in the OP called Bobby out on it anyway.
Well I'm not dismissing it as a possibility just with amount of independents games companies thinking of stopping to make games if they make a move against one of them think alot companies will walk.