Sony CEO Dismisses Calls for PS3 Price Cut

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
Well I'm not dismissing it as a possibility just with amount of independents games companies thinking of stopping to make games if they make a move against one of them think alot companies will walk.
What independent game companies are thinking of stopping support? I havn't heard of any.

If Sony makes a move against Activision if they stopped support, it would show that they are not to be fucked around with. And even then, it would be stupid for a company like EA or Konami or Capcom to move out of Sony just because Activision tried (and would hypothetically fail) to cut support. The PS3 is still a machine they can make profit off of, I highly doubt Activisions hissy fit would do much.

Generator

May 8, 2009
I really do want a PS3, but if the rumored price drop is true, I don't want to spend more than I have to. I think I'll just go ahead and wait for a little longer; I'm perfectly content with my older games for now.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Jumplion said:
murphy7801 said:
Well I'm not dismissing it as a possibility just with amount of independents games companies thinking of stopping to make games if they make a move against one of them think alot companies will walk.
What independent game companies are thinking of stopping support? I havn't heard of any.

If Sony makes a move against Activision if they stopped support, it would show that they are not to be fucked around with. And even then, it would be stupid for a company like EA or Konami or Capcom to move out of Sony just because Activision tried (and would hypothetically fail) to cut support. The PS3 is still a machine they can make profit off of, I highly doubt Activisions hissy fit would do much.
Actually there are some there been articles on hear well I know valve would be 100% out

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
murphy7801 said:
Actually there are some there been articles on hear well I know valve would be 100% out
VALVe is VALVe, if they don't want to support the PS3 then that's fine as they have rarely ever supported a Playstation Platform, and by god do not start the whole "VALVe not supporting PS3" debate, there are plenty of threads for that!

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of a previous justification Sony gave for not cutting the price of the PS3.

Their test audiences (12 year old boys) claimed they cared more about exclusive games than the price.

Lets look at that again - children who would not even be paying for the console or the games said price was not important, so we don't need a price cut. Great logic there.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Windknight said:
This reminds me of a previous justification Sony gave for not cutting the price of the PS3.

Their test audiences (12 year old boys) claimed they cared more about exclusive games than the price.

Lets look at that again - children who would not even be paying for the console or the games said price was not important, so we don't need a price cut. Great logic there.
Source? Link? Specifically 12 year old boys, or was it an online poll and you're just saying "12 year old boys" because your bias says that's what PS3 owners are?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
I will provide link if I can (doing some searching right now), but the source was gamecentral, a teletext based games magazine in the UK, that's reputable to the point of having had Fanboys of all major consoles writing in to complaign that they are obviously biased against their console (sometimes even weekly). The article specifically noted that the test audience was twelve year old boys.

AllHailTheAltmer

Jan 25, 2009
I'm torn on this issue. Obviously the analysts and people bitching at Sony to lower the price don't know the full picture, and maybe Sony is perfectly happy with their situation. But these people obviously know something, and at this point I feel that Sony being stubborn and digging their heels in is just making them come across as dicks, and nobody wants to buy something from a dick company. Unless you're a dick.

Sony, if you can hear me, if you cut the price, I will totally buy a PS3. And I'll probably buy 5 games to go with it. And hell, by the end, I might have 50 PS3 games in my collection. Promise.

Wilfy

Oct 4, 2008
murphy7801 said:
KSarty said:
I honestly think the PS3 is as cheap as it can be at this point in the game. Buying a 360 with a hard drive, wireless internet, and a years worth of online subscription (all of which the PS3 comes with already included) brings you to $450 according to Best Buy. The PS3 right now is $400, what is the problem here?
Ha here in UK all those with a 360 are still less than a ps3.
360 premium £169.99 wireless connectivity £45 years subscription to live £39.99 = £255
PS3=299.99 also the 360 gets better bundles
Actually, I got my PS3 here in the UK for £270 with a free £40 game and £20 HDMI cable thrown in. So only £15 more than a 360 but with a game and HDMI cable.

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
Well...there went all there prospective customers. In the words of....someone or other....THEY BE FUCKED!!!!!

nokelso

May 24, 2009
Man, I'd love a PS3, but I also don't want to give up a lung and kidney just to own one.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
magnuslion said:
I am not buying one until this ruddy cocksucker drops the price and also kisses his own ass on multinational TV, as an apology to all the fans his franchise has burnt. seriously, jump out a window you sackless dickweed.
I hope you fanboys who hate on everything lose your consoles in a fire. Plain and simple.

I mean, wishing death upon someone you barely even know. How intelligent. I've run across enough biased gamers to know.

AllHailTheAltmer said:
I'm torn on this issue. Obviously the analysts and people bitching at Sony to lower the price don't know the full picture, and maybe Sony is perfectly happy with their situation. But these people obviously know something, and at this point I feel that Sony being stubborn and digging their heels in is just making them come across as dicks, and nobody wants to buy something from a dick company. Unless you're a dick.

Sony, if you can hear me, if you cut the price, I will totally buy a PS3. And I'll probably buy 5 games to go with it. And hell, by the end, I might have 50 PS3 games in my collection. Promise.
I'm assuming you're a liar and should promptly be quiet now. You hate Sony and would never buy their products. If they did drop the price, I expect you to then attack their exclusives, then attack their BC problem, and finally say you hate it because it comes in black (forgetting the others do too). 12 year olds have a tendency to do that.

nokelso said:
Man, I'd love a PS3, but I also don't want to give up a lung and kidney just to own one.
Gee, a hundred extra dollars up front costs an arm and a leg? You need your head checked.

Point is, everytime one of you makes a post, it's a fanboy-flavored outcry just so you can fit in. I expected more from The Escapist. I really did.

Oh, and to Jumplion, don't worry about that massive error post spam thing. I had the same happen to me. Thankfully my comp froze up too many times.

shaltir

Jul 3, 2009
i just recently bought my 360 after researching both systems for quite a while (console is a major purchase to me, i don't just get it cause it is the latest thing) and what pushed me away from the PS3 was the fact that it was losing all of the exclusives it had going for it. well, and the price.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Hahaha, this is amazing... I just bought a PS3(after consequetively having 4 xbox 360s shit themselves), and did not even think about the price for a second, actually from what I could remember $699 NZD with a game is cheap over here!

-Joe

shaltir

Jul 3, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
magnuslion said:
I am not buying one until this ruddy cocksucker drops the price and also kisses his own ass on multinational TV, as an apology to all the fans his franchise has burnt. seriously, jump out a window you sackless dickweed.
I hope you fanboys who hate on everything lose your consoles in a fire. Plain and simple.

I mean, wishing death upon someone you barely even know. How intelligent. I've run across enough biased gamers to know.

AllHailTheAltmer said:

I'm assuming you're a liar and should promptly be quiet now. You hate Sony and would never buy their products. If they did drop the price, I expect you to then attack their exclusives, then attack their BC problem, and finally say you hate it because it comes in black (forgetting the others do too). 12 year olds have a tendency to do that.

nokelso said:
Gee, a hundred extra dollars up front costs an arm and a leg? You need your head checked.

Point is, everytime one of you makes a post, it's a fanboy-flavored outcry just so you can fit in. I expected more from The Escapist. I really did.

Oh, and to Jumplion, don't worry about that massive error post spam thing. I had the same happen to me. Thankfully my comp froze up too many times.
play nice...i don't really think this thread is being overwhelmed with Xbox360 fanboyism to be honest. the PS3 was actually my first choice...it just took a back seat when i reviewed it further.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
despite all the high power awesomeness of the PS3, your average customer won't know that fact... I looked through an Argos catalogue the other day and read the description of the PS3 and the 360... Although I new the PS3 had much more stuff shoved in it, the descriptions didn't exactly show this - both consoles looked pretty much the same except the price. So Sony has no excuse of "oh the customer will make the right choice", cause they can't!

Sony really need to drop their price tag.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
shaltir said:
I'm sorry if I've been snapping, but nobody has given me any reason whatsoever why the PS3 is a bad console, why Sony is such a horrible company, or why they don't want the Ps3.

All I hear is the same old excuses.

"It's too expensive."

"It has no good games."

"It's made by Sony, who never made a good console."

"It's black, and I hate black because I'm a racist."

If anything, I hope they keep the price up just to spite all the greedy whoremongers who want Sony to cater to them.

And it's still selling, so anyone who says it's a failure is dead wrong.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Wilfy said:
murphy7801 said:
KSarty said:
I honestly think the PS3 is as cheap as it can be at this point in the game. Buying a 360 with a hard drive, wireless internet, and a years worth of online subscription (all of which the PS3 comes with already included) brings you to $450 according to Best Buy. The PS3 right now is $400, what is the problem here?
Ha here in UK all those with a 360 are still less than a ps3.
360 premium £169.99 wireless connectivity £45 years subscription to live £39.99 = £255
PS3=299.99 also the 360 gets better bundles
Actually, I got my PS3 here in the UK for £270 with a free £40 game and £20 HDMI cable thrown in. So only £15 more than a 360 but with a game and HDMI cable.
well lucky for you not exactly the usual

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Kwil said:
Pendragon9 said:
I'm sorry if I've been snapping, but nobody has given me any reason whatsoever why the PS3 is a bad console, why Sony is such a horrible company, or why they don't want the Ps3.

All I hear is the same old excuses.

"It's too expensive."
I don't think I've seen anybody here say it's a bad console. Just the reverse, really.

But if all a person wants is a game console to play the PS3 exclusives -- ie, they don't want Blu-Ray, they don't want wi-fi, they don't care about a hard drive, then yes, it is too expensive. And they're not buying it because of that. I think those are the primary ones who you see calling for a price drop. The problem is, there's a lot of them out there -- enough of them that some folks (like at Activision) think it would make a noticable difference in their sales if Sony did put in a price drop.

If anything, I hope they keep the price up just to spite all the greedy whoremongers who want Sony to cater to them.
Even if that means reducing the number of game developers who want to develop for it?

And it's still selling, so anyone who says it's a failure is dead wrong.
Dreamcasts were still selling right until they stopped producing them as well. Just not enough to justify them continuing.

As it was, I was this close to buying a PS3 myself, but didn't. In my case, however, it had nothing to do with the price -- nor even gaming. My partner and I were looking to move up to Blu-Ray, and the PS3 got basically the best reviews of any Blu-Ray player out there. Unfortunately, it can't use an IR remote, and we rely too much on our universal remote (which is IR) so that was a deal breaker. I mention this because I think the Blu-Ray playback is something that might be carrying the sales of the PS3 still, but other developers (like LG, who we eventually did purchase from) are coming up quite quickly -- Sony had best be careful because of this. While it means they're not solely reliant on the gaming population, it also means it might be selling worse to the gaming population than even they realize, and if competitors continue to improve their dedicated Blu-Ray players, Sony might see their market just collapse.
Still doesn't excuse all the behavior I'm seeing from all the people here. I'm now on warning because I was apparently throwing insults around. Yet everyone gets off scott free because the mods dislike Sony too.

So if anything, your entire post fell flat on it's face to me. If people want a good gaming console, they should just choose. They don't want the PS3, they should just move on and stop complaining.

I guess gamers, both casual and hardcore, are dead on the inside. I remember back when game consoles were so expensive you had to ACTUALLY sell an arm and a leg to buy one. And mind you this was Nintendo and Sega and all them. I think people are really forgetting that a game console is worth the money, no matter how much.

You have to spend more on a Pc anyway, yet people defend it like it's gold. I'm saddened by it.

Besides, if game developers want to be cheap, shallow jerks who want to shun fanbases, it will come back to them.

Oh, and I didn't think the Dreamcast was a failure. Otherwise people wouldn't love it to this day.

One last note. I still have yet to hear a valid response about why they don't want a PS3.