Sony Offers "Sincerest Apologies" for PSN Attack

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Apology accepted. Now get the PSN back online.
I don't understand this.

Hey dude, I was talking to this shady figure and gave him your name, address, log-in, passwords, credit card, and pin number. Sorry.
-Oh man, don't sweat. No big deal at all. Now let's play some games.

Nope. Not that easy. Sorry isn't enough.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
JDKJ said:
If you read through the comments carefully, you'll find a post from Mr. Goldman where he explains that his statement in the original post that you've just quoted was intended to be sarcastic.
Really? Because looking through the entire thread, he has not made a single post other than the original one. There's nothing in that post to indicate sarcasm either, so I have no clue what you are talking about.

JDKJ said:
Mr. Goldman doesn't get off the hook that easily. By his own admission, the statement is sarcasm. What the statement really means is that just because no one is buying an RV in his name right now is no reason for him to accept the apology.
Again, where's your proof? Looking through this entire thread there is only a single post made by him so I don't see how you could claim to know he was being sarcastic.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Internet Kraken said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The Escapist has been against Sony recently, can't be too unbiased. :p
Yeah, they're so against Sony. That's why Tom said this;

Tom Goldman said:
Unless someone is buying an RV in my name right now, I can accept his apology.
Definitely biased completley against Sony.

OT: Don't give a damn if they apologized. That should be expected of anyone at this point. Sony's refusal to inform the pubic of the potential information leak until days later has done far more damage to their reputation in my eyes than any apology can fix.
What about the others? I seem to remember Tito saying something like "Go, GeoHotz, go!". And they could have included the press conference picture.
Mr. Goldman doesn't get off the hook that easily. By his own admission, the statement is sarcasm. What the statement really means is that just because no one is buying an RV in his name right now is no reason for him to accept the apology.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
JDKJ said:
If you read through the comments carefully, you'll find a post from Mr. Goldman where he explains that his statement in the original post that you've just quoted was intended to be sarcastic.
Really? Because looking through the entire thread, he has not made a single post other than the original one. There's nothing in that post to indicate sarcasm either, so I have no clue what you are talking about.
Go back and look more carefully. Or link to his profile and check his recent posts. I'm pretty confident it exists -- but I could be wrong. I'm therefore pretty confident that I can find it for you but, truth be told, I'm feeling too lazy for that at the moment. If you have diligently searched and still can't find it, lemme know. I'll assist you as best I can. But at least do some diligent searching before you make me have to raise my lazy ass up and help you.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Cliff_m85 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I don't understand this.

Hey dude, I was talking to this shady figure and gave him your name, address, log-in, passwords, credit card, and pin number. Sorry.

When will people...they didn't give anybody anything!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Cliff_m85 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I don't understand this.

When will people...they didn't give anyboy anything!
They won't. Not as long as their version of events fits their conclusion better than the actual facts do. As long as that's the case, the actual facts will be ignored.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
JDKJ said:
Internet Kraken said:
JDKJ said:
Go back and look more carefully. Or link to his profile and check his recent posts. I'm pretty confident it exists -- but I could be wrong. I'm therefore pretty confident that I can find it for you but, truth be told, I'm feeling too lazy for that at the moment. If you have diligently searched and still can't find it, lemme know. I'll assist you as best I can. But at least do some diligent searching before you make me have to raise my lazt ass up and help you.

As you can see, there is only one post made by him in this thread recently. Said post links to the OP, so clearly he has not made any other posts. I have no clue what post you are talking about. From what I can tell, it does not exist.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
Cliff_m85 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I don't understand this.

You obviously don't understand how they said sorry. They bowed apologetically in front of the public. do you realize what that even means in Japan?
Besides, what else can they do? They offered compensation and they are basically begging for forgiveness. Saying that you don't forgive them is making you appear like, in my opinion, a dick. You don't even have to trust their security anymore, you can forgive them then move on to a company you think can provide better security when you game online.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
snfonseka said:
"sincerest apologies".... That's it?
Uh-huh, you probably don't know anything about the Asian honor system. Something like this is life ruining, hell the execs probably just brought mountains of shame upon their family names.
Choppaduel said:
Insufficient. Words are meaningless and forgettable.
Seriously, what is with some of you people?! What, does someone cut you off in traffic and all you want to do is smash up their cars? Sony did the best they could under the circumstances (which for Sony wasn't very good) but they're getting the PSN back up. Yes, they were hacked, and it was foolish of them, I'm pretty sure this whole PR nightmare they have on their hands right now is punishment enough than you people getting on their cases for the smallest damn thing!

AUGH! Seriously people, you're not giving Sony a friggin chance to make amends.

Oh! This should be required reading for anyone who thinks they can use this whole PSN being down to fuel their flame war.
Read this [http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/xbox-live-outage-day-13-still-up-and-down-still-preventing-fu/], then this [http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-boston/xbox-live-down-how-quickly-we-forget]

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
JDKJ said:
Internet Kraken said:
JDKJ said:
Go back and look more carefully. Or link to his profile and check his recent posts. I'm pretty confident it exists -- but I could be wrong. I'm therefore pretty confident that I can find it for you but, truth be told, I'm feeling too lazy for that at the moment. If you have diligently searched and still can't find it, lemme know. I'll assist you as best I can. But at least do some diligent searching before you make me have to raise my lazt ass up and help you.

As you can see, there is only one post made by him in this thread recently. Said post links to the OP, so clearly he has not made any other posts. I have no clue what post you are talking about. From what I can tell, it does not exist.
My bad. Here's the post I had in mind:

Tom Goldman said:
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:
For me personally, the badness level of having my identity stolen versus the goodness level of getting a videogame I want for free is a toss up,

This particular line bothers me. Does this mean that if I offer you a free copy of Brink, you will give me your info?
I was being a little sarcastic, considering that a free videogame does not compare to having one's identity stolen. Sorry if it didn't read.
Which may not clearly prove the case in point but does tend to prove the general proposition that not everything Mr. Goldman says should be taken at face value.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Xanthious said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
And that's reason to accept the apology. In the Japanese culture that right there is the ultimate apology.
Yeah it takes a big company to get each and every one of their 77 million online users' information compromised and then throw three executives out to give a staged apology. I'm sure when people start having their identities stolen and their credit cards used fraudulently that little bow there is going to make it all better.
i kinda have to jump in on ya here, sorry, but at this point if you haven't done anything to prevent your stolen data from used fraudulently, you deserve to get ripped off whole sale, its not hard to cancel a card, and get a new one issued if you feel its been compromised. 10, 15 minutes, TOPS, and your golden. (give or take on the time mind you) and at this point, you have no valid excuses as to why some one couldn't have done so.

short answer, if your not going to protect your self, you deserve no sympathy from me

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
JDKJ said:

Tom Goldman said:
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:
For me personally, the badness level of having my identity stolen versus the goodness level of getting a videogame I want for free is a toss up,

This particular line bothers me. Does this mean that if I offer you a free copy of Brink, you will give me your info?
I was being a little sarcastic, considering that a free videogame does not compare to having one's identity stolen. Sorry if it didn't read.
Which may not clearly prove the case in point but does tend to prove the general proposition that not everything Mr. Goldman says should be taken at face value.
That post was made in a completley different thread about a completley different comment. You are assuming just because somebody had been sarcastic before means that they are being sarcastic here as well. I disagree, as I see nothing to indicate that he was being sarcastic. His stance seems clear; so long as his personal information is not stolen and used, he will accept Sony's apology. A reasonable position, even if I don't agree with it.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
JDKJ said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dexter111 said:
This article is in serious need of that picture: http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-exec-bows-deeply-in-apology-for-security-breach-2011-5
Bias is one thing. Even the most respectable journals evidence some degree of bias (e.g., the New York Times leans to the left and the Washington Post leans to the right of the New York Times). But what can't be merely dismissed as journalistic bias is to recklessly report unsubstantiated allegations as if they were facts. That's not "bias." That's just bullshit.
Which is why I facepalmed when that "Credit Cards for Sale" story went up. There was no evidence to support it.
My all-time favorite was: "Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It"

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
JDKJ said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
JDKJ said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dexter111 said:
This article is in serious need of that picture: http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-exec-bows-deeply-in-apology-for-security-breach-2011-5
Bias is one thing. Even the most respectable journals evidence some degree of bias (e.g., the New York Times leans to the left and the Washington Post leans to the right of the New York Times). But what can't be merely dismissed as journalistic bias is to recklessly report unsubstantiated allegations as if they were facts. That's not "bias." That's just bullshit.
Which is why I facepalmed when that "Credit Cards for Sale" story went up. There was no evidence to support it.
My all-time favorite was: "Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It"
Oh God, I remember nearly having a heart attack when I read that headline. Turned out to be a over exaggerated news story >_>

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
JDKJ said:

Tom Goldman said:
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:

That post was made in a completley different thread about a completley different comment. You are assuming just because somebody had been sarcastic before means that they are being sarcastic here as well. I disagree, as I see nothing to indicate that he was being sarcastic. His stance seems clear; so long as his personal information is not stolen and used, he will accept Sony's apology. A reasonable position, even if I don't agree with it.
Actually, I disagree. I think Mr. Goldman is being sarcastic. But only he knows for sure.

And since the tangential point is debatable, I believe the larger point still looms: the coverage here of the Sony kerfuffle hasn't been at all sympathetic to Sony. And has reported unsubstantiated allegations as facts (or, at least, hasn't done much to dissuade the reader from taking them as substantiated fact), and has engaged in hyperbole and exaggeration. I think all those things are reasonable accusations and ones clearly supported by the black 'n' white.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Words are wind Sony.
Act, don't talk.

Then again, for the last 5 years you've done nothing but talk big.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
Makes me glad I have never used my cards on PSN but it's nice that they apologised and explained everything in more detail. Whoever did this was very selfish.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Well, I must admit I'm not sure that I like Sony's previous security arrangements if it was possible to steal the entire 77M account database in one go and apparently they STILL have no real idea what was taken, but still, everything afterwards has been spot on. Taking down the network, beefing up security, appologising. You can bet it won't happen again.