Sony Website Hacked By the "Lulz Boat"

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:
Why are you defending a corporation that clearly fails to use the basic protection for their customers?
Why are hackers attacking Sony Pictures, a separate subsidiary that has nothing to do with the original inciting incident that started all this?

Probably cause it has Sony in it? Again why are you defending a huge corporation that cannot be bothered to encrypt its data when it has over one million users?
Because these hacker shits are getting dangerously close to tampering with my livelihood, but that's a separate issue.

I'm not defending them, but I shouldn't even have to defend some unrelated Sony subsidiary because a few hackers don't have their shit together to know who they should even be hacking. Sony Pictures =/= SCEA. Why are they being hacked?
Sony Pictures is under the same Corporate umbrella as SCEA while they are only loosely related they are still very much related.

Attacking from more then one front is a logical strategy. Sony is working balls to the wall hard to sure up security on everything Sony gaming related, meanwhile the hackers attack another branch of Sony that may not be looked after quit as well in the fall out of PSN. In the end it still costs Sony money and reputation. I am pretty sure the hacker don't care who they hurt in the process of achieving their goal.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Well I certainly won't be buying anything with name sony in it ever again. Obviously you can't trust sony to keep their customers personal information private and adequately protected anymore.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
CM156 said:
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:
Why are you defending a corporation that clearly fails to use the basic protection for their customers?
Why are hackers attacking Sony Pictures, a separate subsidiary that has nothing to do with the original inciting incident that started all this?

Probably cause it has Sony in it? Again why are you defending a huge corporation that cannot be bothered to encrypt its data when it has over one million users?

From what I am seeing, we are more so saying that we hate the hackers, rather than we are defending Sony.

And really, fuck hackers. Right up the rear.
I do not like hackers either but some people are defending Sony in this thread.
of course they are you goofball. People have way over stepped their bounds. They did not deserve this. Not on this scale, everyone in this thread realizes it but you.
Again when did I say they deserve it?

I quite like Sony actually (loved the ps2!) but if the info is correct and they used such a simple method to "hack" them then I do think it shows that Sony is not really that concerned about their customers data.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
diggy140892 said:
Dexter111 said:
RoBi3.0 said:
That is assuming what they are saying is true. As a rule I don't believe thieves. They stole thousands of peoples personal info how the acquired it is of little relevance passed the fact that they stole it.

Edit: Yes the only thing we as consumers can take from this is be carefull about what you put online.
They have no reason to lie, whereas SONY would have several.
Also they didn't do any of this for the money, they just did it for fun and humiliating SONY further or they wouldn't have put the data online.

I also find it funny that a lot of people seems to assume those people are from the US instead of Russia, Eastern Europe (Romania, Ukraine etc.) or Asia and that the "FBI" has any say in the matter.
Why are you defending the hackers... Just why...
No, no, he actually makes a good point. Let's compare to the legal system. Just because the security guard was asleep at the museum, it's okay to go in and raid the place? That IS basically what you're saying. Besides, initially they were hacked by Anonymous, who hack the Pentagon for fun, so whether they were secure or not is moot. If you're being fired at by a tank, it doesn't even matter if you brought riot gear like you were ordered. Sure, blame Sony for not being secure. They messed up. But in no way does that make pilfering data an innocent thing. We keep looking at this from a hero-villain perspective, with Sony as the villain. Is it not conceivable that both parties are wrong?
Again when did I ever say that the hackers are doing something good?
When you insisted Sony holds ALL the blame. You didn't say they did something good, you said they did nothing wrong, if not in words but in open implication.
When did I insisted that Sony holds all the blame?

I do think Sony holds some blame considering they didnt even encrypt the passwords and such (According to the info)

But I do know that no system is perfect and good hackers will find a way but if the hackers did use the method they claimed to use then I do think Sony holds some blame.
Quit bouncing back and forth. You complain people are defending sony in one post, than try to act like its not all their fault in the second.

Pick a side.
Why should I have to pick a side?

I do not think Sony deserved to be hacked and in a perfect world you wouldnt need a protection against hackers but since this is the real world and therefor I think Sony failed to protect their customers data by not using encryptions and such.

TLDR: Hackers are bad but they do exist and you should try your best to come up with systems against them!

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
CM156 said:
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:

From what I am seeing, we are more so saying that we hate the hackers, rather than we are defending Sony.

And really, fuck hackers. Right up the rear.
I do not like hackers either but some people are defending Sony in this thread.
of course they are you goofball. People have way over stepped their bounds. They did not deserve this. Not on this scale, everyone in this thread realizes it but you.
Again when did I say they deserve it?

I quite like Sony actually (loved the ps2!) but if the info is correct and they used such a simple method to "hack" them then I do think it shows that Sony is not really that concerned about their customers data.
You've said it multiple time over and over and over again. Just because you don't "outright" say it, doesn't mean your not implying it. You are using the "they deserved it" mentality with thick butter.
If you cannot point out something I wrote that shows that I do think they deserved to be hacked then I cannot really argue with you cause I could say that I found in your posts that you are an alien but that doesnt prove anything.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
diggy140892 said:
Dexter111 said:
RoBi3.0 said:
That is assuming what they are saying is true. As a rule I don't believe thieves. They stole thousands of peoples personal info how the acquired it is of little relevance passed the fact that they stole it.

Edit: Yes the only thing we as consumers can take from this is be carefull about what you put online.
Also they didn't do any of this for the money, they just did it for fun and humiliating SONY further or they wouldn't have put the data online.

I also find it funny that a lot of people seems to assume those people are from the US instead of Russia, Eastern Europe (Romania, Ukraine etc.) or Asia and that the "FBI" has any say in the matter.
No, no, he actually makes a good point. Let's compare to the legal system. Just because the security guard was asleep at the museum, it's okay to go in and raid the place? That IS basically what you're saying. Besides, initially they were hacked by Anonymous, who hack the Pentagon for fun, so whether they were secure or not is moot. If you're being fired at by a tank, it doesn't even matter if you brought riot gear like you were ordered. Sure, blame Sony for not being secure. They messed up. But in no way does that make pilfering data an innocent thing. We keep looking at this from a hero-villain perspective, with Sony as the villain. Is it not conceivable that both parties are wrong?
When you insisted Sony holds ALL the blame. You didn't say they did something good, you said they did nothing wrong, if not in words but in open implication.

I do think Sony holds some blame considering they didnt even encrypt the passwords and such (According to the info)

But I do know that no system is perfect and good hackers will find a way but if the hackers did use the method they claimed to use then I do think Sony holds some blame.
Quit bouncing back and forth. You complain people are defending sony in one post, than try to act like its not all their fault in the second.

Pick a side.

I do not think Sony deserved to be hacked and in a perfect world you wouldnt need a protection against hackers but since this is the real world and therefor I think Sony failed to protect their customers data by not using encryptions and such.

TLDR: Hackers are bad but they do exist and you should try your best to come up with systems against them!
because if your going to hark on poeple for defending sony, you yourself cannot defend it. Thats called being a hypocrite.
Meh call me a hypocrite I really do not care.

I've wrote my view on this, and I do not think hacking is alright but I do also think that you should protect your costumers data (which I think Sony clearly failed to do if the hackers used the methods they claimed to use)

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
RoBi3.0 said:
Sony Pictures is under the same Corporate umbrella as SCEA while they are only loosely related they are still very much related.
You said they're "loosely related" and "very much related" in the same sentence here. It's the first one; they're loosely related because of who owns them, but in terms of operational policy, they're completely separate.

RoBi3.0 said:
Attacking from more then one front is a logical strategy. Sony is working balls to the wall hard to sure up security on everything Sony gaming related, meanwhile the hackers attack another branch of Sony that may not be looked after quit as well in the fall out of PSN. In the end it still costs Sony money and reputation. I am pretty sure the hacker don't care who they hurt in the process of achieving their goal.
What is their goal? Defaming the company? All this because one hacker got himself caught? Normally when you attack an entity like this, you have a reason, a favorable outcome that you hope to achieve (i.e. "we want the right to mod the PS3" or whatever), but there is no stated goal. There's no ultimatum here. There's just scatter-shot attacks on mostly unrelated companies. The only victory condition for these criminals is destruction. That makes this terrorism of the most chaotic kind. The only goal is to try to make Sony burn.

Goddamn it, if they want to hack their products, no one can stop them. They should just do it, shut up and play pirated games, if that's what they want. The whole point is that it's illegal, but you do it anyway. Don't parade it around and get yourselves sued, then throw a fit. Because now honest customers are caught in the crossfire.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Next week: HomeLandSecurity track down LulSec through Twitter accts and arrest individuals responsible for Sony Hack, easily linking them to the crime.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
diggy140892 said:
Dexter111 said:
RoBi3.0 said:

Pick a side.

because if your going to hark on poeple for defending sony, you yourself cannot defend it. Thats called being a hypocrite.

I've wrote my view on this, and I do not think hacking is alright but I do also think that you should protect your costumers data (which I think Sony clearly failed to do if the hackers used the methods they claimed to use)
II don't care if you care. I'm telling you what you did.

You said "well poeple are defending sony" in response to why your still responding.

and than you TURN AROUND AND PARTIALLY DEFEND SONY.

Hypocrite by exact definition. sorry, just calling what I'm seeing.
Good for you =) But I honestly do not care.

When I wrote that part about people defending Sony I meant that they do not think Sony did anything wrong at all. But I guess you are going to call me lier now =)

And I do understand meant and wrote is two different things so I could see how that got you confused, but english is not my first language and a lot of people was quoting me.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
diggy140892 said:
Dexter111 said:
RoBi3.0 said:

Pick a side.

II don't care if you care. I'm telling you what you did.

You said "well poeple are defending sony" in response to why your still responding.

and than you TURN AROUND AND PARTIALLY DEFEND SONY.

Hypocrite by exact definition. sorry, just calling what I'm seeing.
Good for you =) But I honestly do not care.

When I wrote that part about people defending Sony I meant that they do not think Sony did anything wrong at all. But I guess you are going to call me lier now =)

And I do understand meant and wrote is two different things so I could see how that got you confused, but english is not my first language and a lot of people was quoting me.
yea i'm sure. You keep crating those straw mans and backpeddles. Your the only one in this thread believing them. :)
Well that is great for me :=)

And it shows a bit how deluded people are if they think corporations should be able to leave costumers data unprotected and expect everyone to be nice and not hack them ^^

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
rsvp42 said:
RoBi3.0 said:
You said they're "loosely related" and "very much related" in the same sentence here. It's the first one; they're loosely related because of who owns them, but in terms of operational policy, they're completely separate.

RoBi3.0 said:
What is their goal? Defaming the company? All this because one hacker got himself caught? Normally when you attack an entity like this, you have a reason, a favorable outcome that you hope to achieve (i.e. "we want the right to mod the PS3" or whatever), but there is no stated goal. There's no ultimatum here. There's just scatter-shot attacks on mostly unrelated companies. The only victory condition for these criminals is destruction. That makes this terrorism of the most chaotic kind. The only goal is to try to make Sony burn.

Goddamn it, if they want to hack their products, no one can stop them. They should just do it, shut up and play pirated games, if that's what they want. The whole point is that it's illegal, but you do it anyway. Don't parade it around and get yourselves sued, then throw a fit. Because now honest customers are caught in the crossfire.
That is pretty much it. They can't have their fun so they are intent on fucking it up for Sony and everyone else for that matter.

Edit to answer your other question. Sony Pictures is a subsidiary of Sony corp of America which is a Subsidiary of Sony Corp Japan. SCE is a subsidiary of Sony Corp America so you can see they all fall under Sony Corp Japan. Attacking anyone of them looses Sony japan money in the long run. They may be managed differently and by different people but I doubt the hackers care, Sony is Sony.