SOPA hearing yesterday: There are not enough /facepalms in the world

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
henritje said:
it,s like watching a bunch of mentally challenged people trying to operate a highly complicated nuclear power plant.

I honestly doubt ANY of the people backing this bill touched anything more complicated then a mechanical type writer.
And we are the unfortunate townsfolk next to the highly complicated nuclear power plant, hoping they don't accidentally the whole thing, and send to Oblivion...

Apr 28, 2008
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Irridium said:
Democrat as president, yes. The House, Senate, and Congress are all a mishmash of democrats and republicans. I believe Republicans have the majority in the House. Or was it Congress... either way, they're the ones behind this bill. As well as a few democrats, but mostly republicans.
Let me clear this up. Congress makes up both the House and the Senate. The House is controlled by Republicans and the Senate is controlled by Democrats.

Also, what's irritating is that this bill actually has quite a bit of support from Democrats. Even otherwise smart Democrats like Al Frankin.

(sigh) Politicians...
Not sure why I always get confused by the terms. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

And it has support from democrats? Well, fuck.

Yeah, I think it's time we retire the republicans and democrats. We need new, or at least more, political parties to diversify the landscape, bring new ideas in, and all that jazz.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Vitagen said:
Dear United States Congress,

You cannot possibly be this fucking dense.
We hope.

Sincerely,
The Internet

OT: I can forgive fat old guys for not understanding the internet. However, there is absolutely no excuse for not listening to people who do. What, do you think the engineers are lying? Or maybe you have ulterior motives. Or maybe you're just stupid. Pleas, dear god, don't be stupid. I'm seriously worried you might be stupid.
They made pizza a vegetable to combat obesity.

THEY. ARE. STUPID.

Like really, they're entering a new level of stupid.

Like, pure Idiocracy stupid

Edit: Or lazy. Really, really, lazy.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Valagetti said:
I think it won't pass cause it'll breach the 1st amendment.
The amendments don't matter to politicians. I draw your attention to the Defense Authorization Bill that was signed this week because Obama backed off his Veto threat (not getting into that). The Senate passed it 93 to 7 that has a clause in it that allows the violation of amendments Four through Eight. Indefinite detention of US citizens without trial, or by a military tribunal (ie not jury), so long as the suspect is suspected of having ties to a terrorist organization. As defined, that means owning guns, water-proof ammo, more than seven days worth of food, more stupid shit... So any noncitizen can be detained forever, without trial and citizens need the President to specifically allow a "potential terrorist" to enter the civil legal system. Oh, and this is regardless to where we find them too, home or abroad.

So yeah, this congress is trying really hard to eradicate the bill of rights as much as possible. In short, vote all these fuckers out of office come next election cycle, we need to clean house.

*note* Not going to apologize for any offensive language, if one of the mods don't like it fell free to edit it.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
What is wrong with our government? I need to find another country to live in. I'm open to learning new languages and I'm fine with different cultures. If anyone has any recommendations on where to move I will be more than happy to take them. Not that it will help much if this passes since corporations are trying to extend their reach into other countries where this law doesn't apply.

Sometimes I get really scared about this world.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
I can't believe these idiots are running our country, this why America is in the toilet right now.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
ajh93 said:
pisses me off to no end.i only turned 18 a week ago, and i NEVER got a fucking option of who i wanted in office!if this shit hits the fan it'll take so goddamn long to clean up it might not even be worth it in the long run...move to some country in Europe or something,it's better than this fucking place.so sick of this fucking country.FUCK old people,man...
I have some bad news for you. Even once you're well past 18 it doesn't matter. You have no say who is or is not in office. It's always going to be a bunch of old, decrepit, corrupt, white men making decisions that are in their and their buddies best interests. Always.

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
I don't understand why it shocks people when the government passes bills that *gasp* give the government more power without our consent.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Maclennan said:
The world needs to start mass producing face palms to meet current demand
so that's how they want to secure more jobs, I see :O
it all makes sense now.

still, the world doesn't need any more china ripoffs. Why are governments of big countries so focused on stagnation? everyone will die from that : /

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
Rainforce said:
Maclennan said:
The world needs to start mass producing face palms to meet current demand
so that's how they want to secure more jobs, I see :O
it all makes sense now.

still, the world doesn't need any more china ripoffs. Why are governments of big countries so focused on stagnation? everyone will die from that : /
Governments want control and higher-ups want to stay higher-up. Stagnation allows them to do that.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Regnes said:
Honestly I think the reaction to this bill is a facepalm in itself, it's not an internet censorship bill, it's a copyright bill.

Making you take down content that doesn't belong to you isn't censorship, it's another company protecting it's business interests.
Um, hate to break it to you, but companies are already well equipped to take down copyrighted content on U.S. governed sites. (see: DMCA and other bills in the last decade)

And if you're referring to Pirate Websites, this bill won't actually give them authority to take down these sites since they're outside U.S. jurisdiction.

In fact, all this bill does "positively" against these sites is prevent U.S. service providers from providing a DNS lookup of the site. All that would happen is instead of googling "torrent X movie", people would access a torrent via an IP address. Also, it can block U.S. advertisements from these sites, but that wouldn't stop Pirate Bay from making money by a long shot.

The principles behind the bill aren't bad, and there's nothing wrong with protecting copyright, but if you'd actually do a little research behind the bill you'd know the problem isn't with the bill's intentions to block copyrighted content. The problem is that the bill will cause adverse side affects across the internet, give the entertainment industry unprecedented power, and it won't even "stop" piracy as it says it will.

/rant over

Horned Rat

Feb 4, 2009
The worst part of this is that if the US congress passes this, it effects the entire world. My internet in little old New Zealand will be affected because all of my favourite sites are hosted in the States.

Is there anything that us in the rest of the world can do?

Dunkerloop

Aug 8, 2011
I'm agreeing with most people on saying that it should be people who actually know about the internet and what consequences a bill would cause as opposed to the current idiots we have appointed.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Old people don't understand how the internet or technology works.

Most Republicans and some Democrats genuinely believe that the private sector knows best, and the biggest names in the private sector want this Bill passed.

Good news is that the law is unenforceable. Australia was considering a similar system, until they were told that the entire process of monitoring what everyone does was impossible, and a wise Judge threw out the proposed law suits.

A similar thing might happen in the US: Politicians may be old, doddering fools who are elected due to smooth-talking (or loud-talking) and not much else, but Judges are actually intelligent people trained in the interpretation of law. A politician might pass it, but good luck keeping the law from being struck down in court. If the law is unenforceable, and if it really does threaten free speech, the courts will strike it down.

And I don't live in the US, so I'm not so worried anyway.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
ajh93 said:
pisses me off to no end.i only turned 18 a week ago, and i NEVER got a fucking option of who i wanted in office!if this shit hits the fan it'll take so goddamn long to clean up it might not even be worth it in the long run...move to some country in Europe or something,it's better than this fucking place.so sick of this fucking country.FUCK old people,man...

thank you...this sinking ship of a country is pathetic now...i miss the old values of what it stood for...but i was never around for that.. im getting out of this country as soon as i can fucking afford it...this place is going down and its all because of greedy politicians....and idiot ones too..