SOPA Postponed "Indefinitely"

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
2) Cull the Internet. Burn it to the ground and start from scratch.
*chuckles*
You're welcome to try. I've no doubt a talented and coordinated group could do serious temporary damage to the net, but by its very nature, the Internet is like a hydra; hack off a piece, and another grows to replace it.
Make no mistake, I think that this would be the least desirable solution whatsoever, and I don't think it could physically be done at all. I find it to be along the same lines as saying that a cold can be cured by killing the sick person. It's technically possible, but it's not the right way to go about things.

Which means that SOPA would have cured colds by permanently closing any building that had sick people in it, and here the analogy kind of breaks down.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
Make no mistake, they will try again and again until they get what they want. As long as the farce of intellectual monopoly lives on, they will keep doing it. There is only one thing that can truly stop this kind of evil: the abolition of copyright [http://www.dklevine.com/general/intellectual/againstfinal.htm].

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why did the internet turn into cry babies over a bill that was never, ever going to go through. Its hilarious. I agree that companies should have control and ban sites that are pirating and distributing their property illegally. But the bill needs to be more specificly targetted at the criminals, not just because a film fan writes about a movie he liked and adds a trailer to it without asking permission.

End of the day the internet can not be controlled, its to big. An there are people with skills that enable them to get around any anti pirating bill that is put into effect. The fact is some people want stuff for free and that will never change.

Feb 13, 2008

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Why did the internet turn into cry babies over a bill that was never, ever going to go through. Its hilarious. I agree that companies should have control and ban sites that are pirating and distributing their property illegally. But the bill needs to be more specificly targetted at the criminals, not just because a film fan writes about a movie he liked and adds a trailer to it without asking permission.

End of the day the internet can not be controlled, its to big. An there are people with skills that enable them to get around any anti pirating bill that is put into effect. The fact is some people want stuff for free and that will never change.
If you'd checked the number of House reps who were in favor of SOPA only a week ago, you'd be singing a different tune. The bill very much could have gone through, simply because of lobbyists. As for the companies having control, no. Absolutely not.

Imagine for a second that the majors indeed do have control over legislation. YouTube dies. Social networks die. Lyrics depositories die. Why? All because someone took offense of the fact that Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" is used without consent of the copyright holders.

They won't make any difference between harmless fanfic authors putting a trailer together for their works or the aXXo ripping group. They won't make any difference between Let's Play providers and scene groups offering game rips.

There is no way whatsoever to ensure that the quote-unquote "right" people are prosecuted. Piracy cannot and will never be handled in a successful manner, because the very structure of the Internet makes any and all attempts at a national form of legislation unfair to whoever lives or works outside of those national laws. The current situation is allowing for cases where a citizen of Great Britain who is innocent by British law to be prosecuted according to American laws without any kind of local proofs backing up his arrest.

The only way we could conceivably legislate the Internet is if we considered it to be a supra-national entity with its own government and structure - a virtual country, if you will. If the Internet developed its own laws from within, then all users across the globe could successfully be held accountable for their actions. Expecting everyone to be free and able to just rush in guns blazing is only going to turn the World Wide Web into an anarchist hotbed - if it hasn't already. This would mean that the more hard-lining governments would have to put some serious water in their wine (e.g. China), as we couldn't have one "province" of the Web enforcing censorship while others don't.

That is, at the very least, how I see things. I'm not a lawyer and I have no idea how this would work, but it feels like a somewhat workable solution in my admittedly naive mindset.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Rodrigo Girao said:
Make no mistake, they will try again and again until they get what they want. As long as the farce of intellectual monopoly lives on, they will keep doing it. There is only one thing that can truly stop this kind of evil: the abolition of copyright [http://www.dklevine.com/general/intellectual/againstfinal.htm].
Thumbing through the chapter, I noticed plenty of Slippery Slope argumentation, appeals to romantic notions rather than facts, and a tenuous understanding of economics. The author hand-waves critical flaws to their argumentation away without proofs or fails to address them outright (such as assuming that costs for information reproduction are the same as producing the original; ignoring the perils the arbitrage under such a system, and arguing for all informational goods as if they had the same limits as traditional private goods; they do NOT).

I can cite examples, but rather than leaving a three page dissertation here, I'm just going to say that I disagree with that book in general.

It has some good ideas, arguments and concepts, but it ultimately fails to prove its case (abolition of Copyright entirely) logically.

Still, I do enjoy reading economics, so it was worth killing time while this blasted snow continues to bury the world around me.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I cant wait till Anonymous gets up on a high horse and says "look, see, we made them do that! we made a difference!" and takes credit for something they larger did nothing to help and could potentially only strengthened.

Still, its nice to see progress.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Not to be a lemon but considering the Gov carpetbombed Megaupload and all of its sister sites without SOPA to get at those 'evil pirates' does it make much of a difference?

Don't get me wrong though, it makes me happy to see this draconian bill bite it though!

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010

The internet has scored a victory today. SOPA was the equivalent to burning down the entire house to kill a bug. Activism feels good. :D

Now is time for CELEBRATE.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Wasn't it just postponed indefinitely a couple days ago, then brought back?

Call me skeptical, but...
As of yesterday, PIPA was still being voted on in February. Now both are shelved indefinitely.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
I love his flip flopping.

Yesterday Lamar was calling opponents of his bill, I mean the bill lobbyists wrote for him, names.

Today he gives in.

Love it.

rsacks

Nov 19, 2009
This has me excited. Even though the bill technically still exists, the fact it has been delayed means that it is likely headed for major revisions before it even sees a committee hearing again. This shows that a concerted effort on the part of ordinary netizens and websites can affect the political arena, it was done in such a pragmatic way that did not damage the stand we all took.

On a side note I HAVE to critique Mr. Chalk ever so slightly. Lamar Smith is a REPRESENTATIVE, not a Senator. There is a huge world of difference here and the two must not be mixed up. Please try and be a little more careful in the future.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Aggieknight said:
I love his flip flopping.

Yesterday Lamar was calling opponents of his bill, I mean the bill lobbyists wrote for him names.

Today he gives in.

Love it.
He knows the job market sucks, he plans to keep his. Unfortunately hell probably get to stay cause people in his state wont vote against him.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
It's going to be really hard for any one nation to come with an idea to address piracy. A pirate site based in the U.S. and a pirate site based in say... Sweden have absolutely no difference in function save for one can claim "not your jurisdiction" as a defense while effecting the country exactly the same as an in-country site would.

As nice as it would be seeing the deserving sites grabbed by the long arm of the law (suck it megaupload) there will always be arguments about jurisdiction. IMO the U.N.'s reputation for wrapping everything in red tape is legendary... but they actually manage to do their world peace-keeping from time to time. The internet might be a similar beast to that instead of a national government thing, given the flexibility of the internet to loophole circles around the law.

Cropsy91

Apr 4, 2010
I wouldn't celebrate yet, I mean, he just pulled the same thing a few days ago.
Also, the 'foreign thieves' statement, in addition to coming off as highly intolerant, really does kind of back up that whole notion of a lot of senators/congressmen being crotchedy old men.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
I don't believe it for a second. This is just another tactic to divert attention from the bills as they ninja their way into law.
Yeah, this didn't say they were shelving the PIPA...

We should still be careful.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Kevlar Eater said:
I don't believe it for a second. This is just another tactic to divert attention from the bills as they ninja their way into law.
Yeah, this didn't say they were shelving the PIPA...

We should still be careful.
Other articles [http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/internet-wins-sopa-and-pipa-both-shelved.ars] say that both are being shelved.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
mad825 said:
Well, in my opinion there are only two mains ways to combat piracy:

introduce an authoritarian law

or

introduce a pointless law that creates needless red tape and does noting at all to combat it.
Or

Make your costumers feel glad that they spent the money to enjoy the quality game and the quality service you provide, instead of making the pirate route look better because of shitty DRM with little to no benefit to the customer. Also; make demos more readily available, please.

I don't like being treated like a thief.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
GeneralFungi said:
mad825 said:
Well, in my opinion there are only two mains ways to combat piracy:

introduce an authoritarian law

or

introduce a pointless law that creates needless red tape and does noting at all to combat it.
Or

Make your costumers feel glad that they spent the money to enjoy the quality game and the quality service you provide, instead of making the pirate route look better because of shitty DRM with little to no benefit to the customer. Also; make demos more readily available, please.

I don't like being treated like a thief.
Add to that the up to 15 (FIFTEEN!) minutes of unskippable anti-piracy bullshit they make you watch before you can watch a movie you bought (you know, with money) from them. I stopped buying them just so my vision doesn't turn red every time I pop in a DVD.

The region codes get to fuck off too, pretty please thank you.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I'll keep my battleships on standby just in case.

Sure has been one hell of a shock and awe campaign the last few days on SOPA, PIPA. Lets hope this shall be the end of them.