SOPA Postponed "Indefinitely"

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
Disasterpiece Press said:
Jodah said:
If you'll excuse me I'll be in my paradox proof bunker waiting for the world to explode!

OT: Good, now maybe we can solve the real problems. Like firing Congress. All of it...from a cannon...into the Sun...
There needs to be a voting off process done once every six months for Congress - but not only will a member be fired, they will be forced to work a demeaning job to finish out their term.
America would totally get behind this - it would be like American Idol but only it won't be a complete waste of fucking time.
So that they have to spend even more time getting campaign contrubutions from Wall Street companies that support SOPA? Yea that will work out great. The Citizen United case is a bigger issue here.

Areani

Dec 18, 2008
Wow, I never realized just how much I hate this Smith guy. Anyway, yay!

Jhon Dew

Jan 21, 2012
it's not the end http://www.stopacta.info/
ACTA can be even bigger threat and not only affecting USA but big part of the world

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lets hope they take their sweet time or come with a solution that doesnt interfere with sites like this, wikipedia, etc.
good to hear they realize how retarded they are with this stupid bill. all hail wiki for standing up to it :D

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
The US needs to understand that the internet is a new entity, just like land, sea and air. People travel (relatively speaking in the internet's case) and trade over it. You can smuggle and pirate on land and in the air. The US Government has never gotten rid of the black market, or even real piracy (terror on the high seas, YARRRR) so what makes them think a piece of paper with scribbles on it is gonna keep the rest of the world from sneaking in and taking media?

I'm not really condoning piracy, it's just that these congressmen don't seem to know ANYTHING about the internet. Anyone remember the dirty 30s? Prohibition anyone? It made things worse. People will find a way.

If you want to combat piracy, you're going to have to work WITH the internet, not AGAINST it...

dumbass...

RebeloR

Jan 21, 2012
Time to Anonymous to get back to work, and this time hit them even harder! Where it really hurts (their compromising documents, bank accounts and their "good name").

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Jhon Dew said:
it's not the end http://www.stopacta.info/
ACTA can be even bigger threat and not only affecting USA but big part of the world
what the-

WHAATTT??!?!!! How come once we finally beat down SOPA, 3 more anti-IP rights laws show up?! SOPA, now PIPA and now ACTA?

Did someone plan this?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Urgh, AGAIN with the 'foreign thieves' Mr Smith?

I wonder if you have at any point actually read a History book. If you have, then you may realise that SOPA is basically protectionism for the internet, and as we all know (hopefully) protectionism more often than not produces exactly the opposite of desired effects. Rather than protect economies, it cripples them because no-one will do business with you any more.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
... I give it about a month at the least, a year at the most, before this thing resurfaces.

They've touched on this subject, and it sounds like they're reluctant to give it up, or even admit that they're wrong, and I'll be damned if they decide to 'cooperate with the majority of people that actually use the damned Internets'.

The Internet is the Government's new scapegoat. Let's just hope that, like with video games, D&D, and music before it, they fail to convince everyone that it's some demonic entity.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I hope it goes the way of Duke Nukem. Forgot for a dozen years and quietly worked on until they bring up a far crappier version of it that makes no advances in the right direction, and was better left forgotten.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, we've demonstrated that internet activism can cause change for good.

So . . .

Who's up for campaigning for the reversal of the NDAA?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
The internet isn't going away. If these people want to protect their imaginary money, they have to adapt themselves to the 21st century, not the other way around.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
"I have heard from the critics and I take seriously their concerns regarding proposed legislation to address the problem of online piracy. It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products"

Stay classy, because nobody in America pirates anything, am I right?
What? That's not at all what I interpreted him to be saying in context and knowing what the bill does.
I assumed he was talking about foreign website like TPB that allow people everywhere to pirate things. Websites like that in America can be shut down, those can't, therefore "foreign thieves"

beniki

May 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Zhukov said:
I really hope I'm not the only one who starts seeing a little red when the phrase "foreign thieves" gets thrown about.

[sub][sub]Yes yes, I know, "you're never the only one". Shut the fuck up, it's a figure of speech.[/sub][/sub]

After all, it's not like any American has ever engaged in a spot of piracy, and of course that fucking clown knows it. He's just trying to leverage a bit of good ol' xenophobia, the miserable, rotten little... grrr...
Especially since I'm willing to bet most of these "foreign theives" are "stealing" because the products aren't even legally available in their country to begin with.

No, I don't have stats to back this up. But then again, Mr. Smith up there doesn't have any stats to back up his claims either. And if his claim is enough to get these bills introduced, my claim should be just as valid.

But then again, I'm not backed by millions upon millions of lobbying dollars from the big companies that are supposed to be hurting very hard from piracy.
No you're absolutely right about companies not selling to foreign countries. It took me a month to get a copy of The Old Republic, and that was only because I had a friend in the uK buy it for me. Still looking for a way to get Skyrim.

Seriously, all they need to do is allow payments from outside their usual market zones, and I'm certain piracy will be cut in half... particularly in Russia and China. It's not like those countries don't like to spend money on games. Heck, some Chinese MMOs are basically fruit machines!

But more importantly, I WANT TO BUY A COPY OF SKYRIM!! :mad:

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
I know how to fix the economy. we do it the old fashioned way (and by old fashioned I mean B.C. old fashioned) and take over another country to steal their wealth and/or land.

Hooray for repeating history! *sarcasm sarcasm*

Montezuma's Lawyer

Nov 5, 2011
Our protests have been meaningless anyway, when the government already has the power to do what SOPA suggests,(MegaUpload) It has all been a waste.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I just want to go through his quotes with a blue marker and write [sup][disputed][/sup] and [sup][citation needed][/sup]

And the whole "foreign thieves" bit pisses me off to no end. Clearly, there isn't a single American who is engaged in piracy.
Hey, America: If you are so worried about foreigners stealing your intellectual property, how about giving us access to Hulu and the likes?

This entire "combating piracy" debacle really makes me sad. The corporations think they are losing money and they will stop at nothing to get that money back (except that they won't be earning any more money than before if a bill like this passes). In their struggle to reclaim their imaginary profits, they lobby the politicians of the most influential country in the world; essentially ruining everything for the rest of us.
It all feels so horribly dystopian.

Apr 28, 2008
beniki said:
Seriously, all they need to do is allow payments from outside their usual market zones, and I'm certain piracy will be cut in half... particularly in Russia and China. It's not like those countries don't like to spend money on games. Heck, some Chinese MMOs are basically fruit machines!

But more importantly, I WANT TO BUY A COPY OF SKYRIM!! :mad:
Hehe, actually, that's what Valve did.

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell

By offering a better service than pirates, they were able to turn Russia into their second largest continental European market.