Space Janitors: Episode One

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Anyone else immediately think Red Dwarf? Because the whole time that was all I could think of.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Mouse_Crouse said:
Having said that... what is up with this production scale. The size of the credits and the logos involved make me think this is a much larger production then we are used to here on the Escapist. What is the story with this show? Who's behind it and how did it get to the Escapist?
Well the logos were for the "Independant Production Fund" and "Ontario Media Development Corporation". I'm guessing they got some start-up capital to make this show, so they were thanking their supporters. It's not like they had the support of some giant production company or anything.

Space Janitors

Feb 24, 2012
N.Manth said:
a good watch guys.

I like the red dwarf feel of it.
High Five. Having the slob and the go-getter paired is great, and I agree that it's very much like Lister and Rimmer.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Well the logos were for the "Independant Production Fund" and "Ontario Media Development Corporation". I'm guessing they got some start-up capital to make this show, so they were thanking their supporters. It's not like they had the support of some giant production company or anything.
While this clearly isn't a Hollywood movie. Compare it to Loading Ready Run, Pro-Gamer Gauntlet, Top 5 or the like. Those shows are clearly filmed in and around those peoples homes and businesses. Aside from a small setup setup somewhere these aren't really BIG projects with funding and the like. Just stating the production value is markedly high.

Nasrin said:
It's funded by the Canadian government, there should be a little badge on the bottom right of the Space Janitors mini site. They won a contest :)
That's kind of what I mean. Most shows here don't HAVE their own mini-site. And those that do (LRR.com) is because they started it before coming to the Escapist. And this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Who won this contest? What exactly IS this contest. And how did them winning a Canadian contest land them on the Escapist? I'm just curious about all these things.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
first the bad. This was boring as all get out. Two guys talking about their stalled jobs and how they're the lowest of the low? yeah, that's not the comedy gold it should be. Especially because we have no idea who they are or empathize with them at all. RedvsBlue did this quite well, show the characters talking about stupid s*** make us like them then tackle the boring stuff.

The good. This show has gallons of potential. It looks to be really funny in the future. The effects aren't great but add charm to the cheese the show wants to exploit. the costumes were really well done for a spoof. And the actors seem comfortable in the roles they play.

Optimistic, look foward to more.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I get that this is the set-up to something bigger with more characters, etc., but right now all we saw was a couple guys complain about their boring space lives and get ignored by some clients (the rebels).

Hopefully by next episode you'll have something actually happen and add in another character or two to interact with the eponymous space janitors.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Certainly caught my eye. I'll be watching this in the future.
Only 8 episodes. Well it'll probably die while its still good. Which is always nice.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
N.Manth said:
a good watch guys.

I like the red dwarf feel of it.
I was hoping someone else got that vibe, or it'd have just been weird.

Does look good, can't wait to see how it turns out

rpkone26

Feb 19, 2011
Ok 1) ARE THOSE SWIFFERS WITH ROOMBAS ON THE END!?
and 2) Love the spartan helmet storm trooper cross over :p
LOVE IT

x29

Feb 24, 2012
Mouse_Crouse said:
Like it so far. Feels like it could really have some great material.

Having said that... what is up with this production scale. The size of the credits and the logos involved make me think this is a much larger production then we are used to here on the Escapist. What is the story with this show? Who's behind it and how did it get to the Escapist?
It's from part of the team behind Pure Pwnage.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
I was really hoping for a little more "Space Quest" and Roger Wilco.
But! This is worth keeping an eye on.

bunji

Nov 14, 2010
Usually i tend to hate every new show here, and then slowly warming to them before adopting them as part of my daily dose of internets.

This show I loved the first ep of. Now lets hope that that doesnt imply that I will begin to hate it eventually =P

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Anyone else immediately think Red Dwarf? Because the whole time that was all I could think of.
I thought that the moment I read the title, since Lister and Rimmer were essentially space janitors themselves.

I was honestly expecting a Red Dwarf rip off from the get go. That opening scene with the spray bottle is JUST the sort of thing RD would have pulled but it got a laugh from me and it just worked. They seem to have taken a formula that has been done before and somehow made it feel new and fresh and exciting. Frankly it looks to have higher production values than RD ever had as well!

I am loving the whole vibe that the exciting parts happen around and separate from the main characters. I cannot wait to see more of this.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I only caught a small preview, but I agree that it has a strong Red Dwarf feel. You know what it's missing ?