Space Marine "Rips Off" Gears of War

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Of course, given that the review is from Official Xbox Magazine, the bias would be apparent.
http://www.oxm.co.uk/33345/reviews/warhammer-40000-space-marine-review/
*RAGE MODE ACTIVATED*

Did Not Do The Research. Games Workshop's Space Marines predate Master Chef, the COG's, the Terran Marines and all the other generic Power Armored Chaps you see running around today. In a sense, Games Workshop INVENTED the modern Power Armored Space Marine. If GW's Marines are ripping off anything, I think the Descendants of Robert A. Heinlein would like a word.

Seriously, fuck the fanboys who think GW copycats the above examples. The GW Marines are the only one's to get it right (in that they can use Master Chef, Marcus Fenix and Jim Raynor as a floor mop all at the same time), and predate them by between ten to twenty years. In the words of Angry Joe -

"Respect your Elders, son - or pay the price."
*RAGE MODE DEACTIVATED*

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Of course, given that the review is from Official Xbox Magazine, the bias would be apparent.

I get that people are allowed to dislike games for their own reasons, but there is a difference between that and making every comparison in your review to an exclusive title for your respective console.

Yeah, I'm bitching, but it is bullshit reviews like this that barely account for anything the game offers in favor of trashing it in comparison to your latest cash cow that is hurting the way games are judged. Space Marine is supposed to be the anti Gears of War, yet that is all OXM can be bothered to talk about.
There was another thread discussing a particular "Journalist" who claimed that Space Marine was ripping off Gears of War waaaaaay back before it was released.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/25/how-many-ways-can-thqs-space-marine-game-rip-off-gears-of-war/

Needless to say, he was torn apart.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Sir Shockwave said:
Soviet Heavy said:
*RAGE MODE ACTIVATED*

Did Not Do The Research. Games Workshop's Space Marines predate Master Chef, the COG's, the Terran Marines and all the other generic Power Armored Chaps you see running around today. In a sense, Games Workshop INVENTED the modern Power Armored Space Marine. If GW's Marines are ripping off anything, I think the Descendants of Robert A. Heinlein would like a word.

Seriously, fuck the fanboys who think GW copycats the above examples. The GW Marines are the only one's to get it right (in that they can use Master Chef, Marcus Fenix and Jim Raynor as a floor mop all at the same time), and predate them by between ten to twenty years. In the words of Angry Joe -

"Respect your Elders, son - or pay the price."
*RAGE MODE DEACTIVATED*
Refer to the article linked in my above post. Same situation, didn't do his research, and everyone chewed hip up and spat him out in the comments. His edit/response was longer than the article.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I'm going to find the writer and beat him/her to death with a set of the Fourth Edition Warhammer 40k.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
... meh?

Im not going to lie, id idnt pick up either game, but I have friends on both sides of teh spectrum (ones a gears fan, the other a Warhammer fan), and of course firends that mix the two together, but the two on opposite sides said that the review was fair. reading over it, i dont see the flame starting issue really. It basically was CoD getting called a Halo Clone (or vice versa), and even then it said that at its simplest. Plus the positives seem to be rather nice positives that someone could easily say is a negative if they were really out to ruin the game.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Refer to the article linked in my above post. Same situation, didn't do his research, and everyone chewed hip up and spat him out in the comments. His edit/response was longer than the article.
Seriously?

Damn son O.O

EDIT - it's confirmed. This guy is a jackass. I should have his job, once Commissar Fucklaw is done with him that is.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Space marines are nothing new, before Gears of War or War hammer 40k, there was Star Craft, and before that Quake and Doom. Hell some of the old Star Trek books mention "Space" marines.

Space Marines are a part of Science Fiction the way Elves, Orcs, Wizards and Swordsmen are apart of Fantasy. I don't see Wizards of the Coast calming Legend of Zelda Ripped off the Original Dungeons and Dragons.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
There is no cover. Therfore, not a Gears Clone. His argument is invalid.

Plus, space marines. Hasn't that been done before Gears?

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
darksakul said:
Space marines are nothing new, before Gears of War or War hammer 40k, there was Star Craft, and before that Quake and Doom.
As mentioned above in my post, Starcraft came out 1998. Hell, Starcraft originally started out as a WH40K game Blizz wanted to make for GW, but they refused (because we know GW have a team of top rate geniuses responsible for every smart decision - like restricting shipping outside of the EU, hiring Matt Ward and Citadel Finecast).

However, the original GW Marines go back to the 80's (at least 1987 if Wikiped is to be belived). As mentioned, Starcraft was released in 1998 - the 31st of March 1998 to be specific. Hence, the GW Marines predate Jim Raynor and Friends by at least NINE YEARS.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
darksakul said:
Space marines are nothing new, before Gears of War or War hammer 40k, there was Star Craft, and before that Quake and Doom. Hell some of the old Star Trek books mention "Space" marines.

Space Marines are a part of Science Fiction the way Elves, Orcs, Wizards and Swordsmen are apart of Fantasy. I don't see Wizards of the Coast calming Legend of Zelda Ripped off the Original Dungeons and Dragons.
Actually, Warhammer 40k is from 1987. Starship Troopers is a novel from 1959, so you could say that Warhammer borrowed from that, but to say that anything after Warhammer is "Ripping it off" is just ignorance.

So according to your list, it should go Warhammer 40k (1987), Doom (1993), Quake (1996), Starcraft (1998) then Gears of War (2006)

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
darksakul said:

You seem to think that Blizzard didn't rip off the story/ideas for both Warcraft and Starcraft from GW. A little history lesson, a long time ago the two companies had agreed to work together to create said games... but that didn't work out. (Who broke up with who for what reason is debatable, though Blizzard most certainly ran away with much of the Warhammer lore.)

If you ever bother to read the backstory of Warhammer and the stories of Warhammer 40k, you'll notice that Warcraft was originally a clear lore rip from Warhammer, similarly for a lot of the Starcraft story but with some things changed from Eredar to Protoss, and the such.

GW invented, for lack of a better word, the modern Space Marine persona, just as Tolkein invented the modern persona of Elves. Their ideas are taken from past creations, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that what you see in modern days is a direct copy of their work.

Sep 11, 2009
darksakul said:

Warhammer 40k predates StarCraft, Quake and Doom. StarCraft was actually inspired by the WH40K universe.

And if you think the WH Space Marines are just some marines in space, then I suggest you start reading som WH40k lore.

Although, I do believe the origin of space marines should be credited to "Starship Troopers".

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
U mad bro?

Seriously though, the reviewer gave it a 7/10 and all his points were more than valid. Could you point me to the place where he said, literally, that its a "gears ripoff"? Maybe im missing it. Because all I can find is this:

At its simplest, Space Marine is a Gears clone with a hair-raising health system which sees you healing by performing execution kills. Given how flagrantly Relic apes the Epic juggernaut elsewhere - weapons are swapped via the same D-pad system - being unable to stick to cover feels unnatural at first, but you soon acclimatise. New cannons and a Fury mode unlock at half-hourly intervals as you progress through corridors and arenas, nabbing Servo Skulls (Warhammer's audio diary of choice) to flesh out the plot's few secrets.
Which is... Well... PERFECTLY VALID AND COMPLETELY FUCKING RIGHT.

TL;DR: Stop whining, write your own review if you disagree, dont write off a reviewer just because he doesnt like a game you do, or rather, just because he doesnt like it as much.

Fucking hell, he gave it a 7/10 for fucks sake. If you seriously think that Space Marine deserves more than that... Jesus.
Chill out.

I seriously have to laugh at that point of 'being unable to stick to cover feels unnatural'. Of course it would when you're unable to grasp something that has gameplay that's actually different to fucking Gears of War. I agree with you, don't get me wrong. They do make valid points, but it's kinda stupid that they imply the game rips off GoW, then show that they don't feel right being able to snap to cover. In that sense, it's like they want it to be more like Gears.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
*Begins laughing like Heavy Weapons Guy*
Games are never rip offs, they are just unoriginal.

I'm actually suprised that OXM went this low, I know they are a bunch of one sided Xbox fanbois, but still.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I think it's pretty valid. He's not right, but he's not that wrong.

First, he never said it was ripping off Gears, he said it was a Gears clone.

How can he justify this? I'm pretty sure this is the first game that's a TPS, not a strategy game like the other ones.

If Halo integrated ADS, Killstreaks, and two hit kills, I'm pretty sure it would be considered a CoD clone.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Soviet Heavy said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
U mad bro?

Seriously though, the reviewer gave it a 7/10 and all his points were more than valid. Could you point me to the place where he said, literally, that its a "gears ripoff"? Maybe im missing it. Because all I can find is this:

At its simplest, Space Marine is a Gears clone with a hair-raising health system which sees you healing by performing execution kills. Given how flagrantly Relic apes the Epic juggernaut elsewhere - weapons are swapped via the same D-pad system - being unable to stick to cover feels unnatural at first, but you soon acclimatise. New cannons and a Fury mode unlock at half-hourly intervals as you progress through corridors and arenas, nabbing Servo Skulls (Warhammer's audio diary of choice) to flesh out the plot's few secrets.
Which is... Well... PERFECTLY VALID AND COMPLETELY FUCKING RIGHT.

TL;DR: Stop whining, write your own review if you disagree, dont write off a reviewer just because he doesnt like a game you do, or rather, just because he doesnt like it as much.

Fucking hell, he gave it a 7/10 for fucks sake. If you seriously think that Space Marine deserves more than that... Jesus.
You don't think that the review complaining about a controls setup isn't being even a little petty?
Not at all, controls are one of the MOST important parts of a game. The controls are how to interact with the game, and if the controls limit your interaction by being awkward then that's bad because it limits immersion.
That's not what I meant. He was saying that the game "blatantly aped" Epic by using a control scheme that works. If it works, why be upset about it? Every FPS out there today would be "blatantly aping" COD for having a control scheme that works.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Venats said:
darksakul said:

You seem to think that Blizzard didn't rip off the story/ideas for both Warcraft and Starcraft from GW. A little history lesson, a long time ago the two companies had agreed to work together to create said games... but that didn't work out. (Who broke up with who for what reason is debatable, though Blizzard most certainly ran away with much of the Warhammer lore.)

If you ever bother to read the backstory of Warhammer and the stories of Warhammer 40k, you'll notice that Warcraft was originally a clear lore rip from Warhammer, similarly for a lot of the Starcraft story but with some things changed from Eredar to Protoss, and the such.

GW invented, for lack of a better word, the modern Space Marine persona, just as Tolkein invented the modern persona of Elves. Their ideas are taken from past creations, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that what you see in modern days is a direct copy of their work.
No, I think the above ripped off older Sci-Fi Novels dating as far back as the 1950's.

Also to those who tell me I do not know what a space marine is, I was in the Untied Sates Marine Corps. So please do not assume that I do not know what a Marine is. And yes I believe Space Marines are just Marines adapted to fight in SPACE. It is part of what real MARINES do, they ADAPT to the situation and surroundings.