Spike Reveals Gameplay Video of BioWare's Next Game

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
If it is Mercs Inc, then...well, I'm interested right then and there.

This does seem rather out of character for Bioware, but I don't really see any issue with that. A developer doesn't have to be pigeon-holed into making a single type of game, and seeing them branch out is good (especially with a new studio and all). Whether this'll be any good, well, we'll have to wait and see. But, hey, I, for one, am cautiously optimistic about this.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
*sigh* Bioware...

Nobody wants another modern shooter. I don't care if everybody else is doing it - in fact, it's the fact that everybody else is doing it that's the problem! You can't just try out for the same position as everyone else on the team - even if you make it, you're up against a very long line of people who are better than you, have been doing it for longer, and want to keep their spots...

Bioware, the very reason we love you is because you're different. Accept that difference - make awesome RPGs, awesome stories! Don't just turn yourself into another cloned shooter-maker. If you do... well, we may have to split up. Just sayin'.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Why are so many people making judgements already, speculation sure, but judgements?

Seriously, all that's known is that tanks are at some point involved in the game.

Judging from the camera angle it might be an RTS, but I'm laying no bets.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It looked to me like Battlefield...Well, at least we still have Bethesda for our strong, single-player RPG needs. Still, I guess it's just a little too soon to abandon Bioware so I'll see what they've got cooking before I begin with the doom prophecies proper.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
Bioware - Daddy, can we make a different game this time, no more RPG's they are too hard
EA - Sure thing pal, why don't you be like your big brother DICE and make military games
Bioware - YAY! thanks daddy
LOL! You my friend win 5 internets.

Regarding the OP...

First thought before I watched the video: EA is going to let Bioware introduce a new IP?! How can this be?!

First thought after I watched the video: Bioware is going to make a modern military game...that may very well be a re-establishment of the moderately successful Mercenaries franchise... Joy...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
It looked to me like Battlefield...Well, at least we still have Bethesda for our strong, single-player RPG needs. Still, I guess it's just a little too soon to abandon Bioware so I'll see what they've got cooking before I begin with the doom prophecies proper.
You did see where it said a new Bioware studio, right? You do realize a single developer name can have separate studios? Bioware already has different branches.

I wouldn't be shocked if this one had guys from Pandemic and Visceral involved in it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Vault101 said:
inb4 inevitable Bioware hate/rage

hmm interesting...
inb4? It was already kind of happening.
looking above my coment...and below it..I stand by my statement :p (as in it wasnt that bad)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
You did see where it said a new Bioware studio, right? You do realize a single developer name can have separate studios? Bioware already has different branches.

I wouldn't be shocked if this one had guys from Pandemic and Visceral involved in it.
noooo

that would be too logical

this is the inernet DAMMIT! we thrive on speculation and judgemts based on nothing! (and rage, plenty of anger and rage)

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Paul Palumbo said:
Mercs Inc, you say?
I consider this a reason to celebrate. Although I'm not entirely convinced Bioware is the right studio to do it.
Well, it is being made by a brand new Bioware studio, not any of the studios on the current Bioware roster that are responsible for things like Mass Effect or The Old Republic, and said studio is rumored to have some old Pandemic staff in it, so, in a way, Bioware might just be the perfect developer for the job.

So that means, we may now prepare for potential celebrations!

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
I've kinda had speculations that this might actually be a sequel to Shattered Steel... the tanks look a little too advanced to be just your average day 21st century modern tank, and it's been 15 years since their first game...

However, I'm also intrigued by the possibility of it being a Mercs sequel. I'd watch the news for that, if it's the case.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
This is all conjecture.
There's a good chance that it might not be at all related to Mercenaries.

I suppose that's probably as good a guess as any other. Well, we'll know come December 10th, and thus far it's still the only reason I have for wanting to see the VGAs.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Hm, intriguing. A few admittedly pessimistic thoughts ran through my mind though:

Another modern military shooter. Others said it, I'll say it, and people will be saying it no matter what. But seriously guys, seriously? Another one? If it is a modern military shooter of any type, it's still a modern military game. Now that the obvious is out there, my second thought is "backup plan for Battlefield 3?" Something for EA to have under their belt for next year's "Call of Duty: Not Modern Warfare But We Really Want It To Be."

Conjectures aside, we won't know until there's more information beyond a quick glimpse of a modern military convoy presumably being ambushed. ;)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, great...ANOTHER war-FPS. Yeah, I'm speculating. Hey, what am I supposed to do here with a two-second footage of the game?

I like BioWare and all, but the last thing I wanna see is another FPS, no matter how "original" it is. This year alone, we had Brink Homefront, GoW, CoD, Battlefield, Rage, and who knows what else.

Please don't let this game be any of that. Please let me wrong...

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
On the assumption that this is, indeed, a new Mercenaries title...

I had heard that BioWare absorbed what remained of Pandemic studios before EA stomped it flat. "A new BioWare studio" might well be a re-naming of the old Pandemic crew, and I really can't think of a better studio for that group. Let's hope that they channel Star Wars:Battlefront and not Saboteur.