Splurges, bad game buys, impulse buys.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I bought Mirrors Edge for a whole 70p from HMV during a crazy sale. I didn't actually mind Mirrors Edge and enjoyed the game and probably would have paid a smidge more than the mediocre 70p for it (with the exception of not being able to jump absolutely everywhere I wanted and dealing with gun battles when there was no such way to fight back...hmm)

But yes, for 70p, it was one of the cheapest and actually good impulse buys I've had.

Impulse buys I didn't like? Infinite Undiscovery. I couldn't connect to the game at all, was way over complicated from the start (or just frankly, didn't really explain what to do at the next point and I'd only been playing 20 minutes). I kept it only for the sake of trying to give it another go on a rainy day because I hate wasting money!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Been there man...I think I also got the Collector's Ed of Fable 3 but a far greater disappointment for me was the Signature Edition of Dragon Age 2 which I bought on day 1. I hated that game so very, very hard...

On the flip side, I spent...ya know what, screw how much I dropped on it but I found and grabbed Ocarina of Time (grey cart sadly) and, Rayman 2 on the N64 complete with the original boxes and everything. My total that day was roughly $200 but I also picked up other games (I think Paper Mario 64 was the bulk of the expense).

After the ZP-critique of Dishonored I'm going to wait for a GotY edition of it before I buy it (unless it's gifted to me).

I spent less than $10 on Duke Nukem Forever, new and with an employee discount (Target) and that was totally worth it to me. I rented Tekken 6 for free (working at Blockbuster) and I concluded that it was the worst game I ever put into a console before the 5 minute mark. Not even worth the price of 'Free'.

When it comes to spending money, I actually get some moderate anxiety about spending money on food. I love to eat but I just have a lot of trouble convincing myself to buy food.

Captcha: More Cowbell...I gotta have more cowbell!

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Starcraft 2 Collector's Edition, because the regular edition was sold out. Battlefield 3, before I realised that EA was simply aping the worst aspects of the competition. The Sims 3, Red Alert 3. I'll have to stop listing atrocities there because there is a developing theme and I don't want to start something.

The best decision I've made was probably picking up an unfamiliar game called Dragon Age Origins and its Awakening expansion together because they looked like the sort of thing I might enjoy.

I regret not picking up Morrowind and Oblivion in the latest sale on Steam, even though I have a copy of each already. I can't stop dreaming of the towering mushrooms of the Bitter Coast.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Proeliator said:
I bought Front Lines: Fuel of War, for about $1.50 (US), only to find out my computer didn't run it. It wouldn't even install correctly.

Lost Planet, I only bought it because I thought killing bugs in a mech suit would be cool. It was, but the game isn't done very well. Not good conveyance, and really just average.

CoD Modern Warefare 3: The only reason I got it was because I thought the multiplayer would at least be as good as MW2, and be less like Black Op's style of multiplayer. I was wrong.

The Wykydtron said:
What the hell are those maps!? What the hell are these killstreaks?! What the hell is this balance?! What the hell is this lag?! Why are the maps so uninteresting and/or ugly to look at?! So many questions!

I have no idea what the shit they were thinking about the maps. It's like they noticed Nuketown was popular so they made every map as small as Nuketown as possible without thinking why it was popular to begin with...
Essentially, this.
Oh right, Modern Warfare 2! I forgot about that one. What a hideous-looking game. I think I picked that one up because I knew Sweet Fanny Adams about the Call of Duty and Battlefield series and mistook its cover for that of Bad Company 2.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Inversion was the last impulse buy I made - 50 shades of meh
Ooh, actually I bought Doom3 BFG from Game last night, I did want to play it again but the fact it cam with Rage free swung it, I loved the combat in Rage and fancy playing through it one more time on Nightmare

I also bought Xcom on a whim, I heard it was good and funnily enough the stories of people's playthroughs and losing friends made me go "what the hell". It's my GOTY now and the reason I've only played the first mission in Dishonored

Stillgard

P.O.D.
Jun 6, 2011
This ones easy, most "Repulsive game" I think I have ever played on an impulsive buy: Battletoads. Of course at the opposite end of the spectrum would be Pac-man Championship Edition DX

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Akalabeth said:
I got a bunch of unplayed games.
If you want to chalk up one bad buy, well . . . I'll say Dark . . uh, forget the name. The one with the jet pack anyway, Dark something. Anyway . . game looks terrible. Played it for about an hour or two and haven't gone back to it. Only paid 5 bucks for it but still seems like a waste.
I really liked this game actually, found it really fun, got it for like 10 bucks.

ForgottenPr0digy said:
I bought Ninety-Nine Knights for the xbox 360 for $5 and I returned the game after playing it for 30 minutes such a fucking terrible ass game
I 100% that game, I found it fun as hell.

Another bad buy I did? Well a couple years back, I had the urge to play DBZ Tenkaichi 3 because it had future gohan, well I bought a ps2 just to get that game. That was an impulse buy. Totally worth it.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
EmzOLV said:
I bought Mirrors Edge for a whole 70p from HMV during a crazy sale. I didn't actually mind Mirrors Edge and enjoyed the game and probably would have paid a smidge more than the mediocre 70p for it (with the exception of not being able to jump absolutely everywhere I wanted and dealing with gun battles when there was no such way to fight back...hmm)

But yes, for 70p, it was one of the cheapest and actually good impulse buys I've had.

Impulse buys I didn't like? Infinite Undiscovery. I couldn't connect to the game at all, was way over complicated from the start (or just frankly, didn't really explain what to do at the next point and I'd only been playing 20 minutes). I kept it only for the sake of trying to give it another go on a rainy day because I hate wasting money!
Oh yes, infinite undiscovery is terrible, I couldn't get passed the first stage, like wtf is this. In fact, any other JRPG besides the Tales series is absolute crap and a bad buy.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
I've never bought a game that I just completely regretted. Sometimes I might regret it for an hour or two, but then I get used to the controls/mechanics/etc. and realize that I like the game.

Closest one to complete regret is Guild Wars 2. It was fun, but it wasn't what I wanted or expected it to be at all. My main only made it to level 16. I'll probably pick it back up here in awhile, but for now, I regret buying it slightly.

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
Jak and Daxter, the Lost Frontier. I'll bet you thought that was one REALLY funny joke, didn't you Sony?

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Bought a PSVita for just under 180$ on impulse. Great buy so far. I spend a lot of time moving about so portable gaming is a must for me.

Worst impulse buy was probably Brink. Pre-ordered and all, and was a total disappointment.

lockeslylcrit

Dec 28, 2008
By far the worst impulse buy was Legends of Pegasus. 40 dollars for a broken, buggy game when I was hoping for a revitalization of Master of Orion 2. And look where it got the developer... [http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=15885]

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Ever since I started renting from GameFly, I don't have impulse buys anymore. But before...I guess my worst impulse buy was Lost Kingdoms II. Utterly crappy card-based combat game with no plot I can recall. Ugh. Horrible.

The Matrix game was also crap.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Most of my impulse buys have turned out for the best. Mass Effect 2 turned me onto the series. Bioshock 2 as well(and I liked it better than bioshock). Rage was an impulse buy and was great until it didn't end or have dlc.
Iron man for psp was impulse and was soul destroyingly bad, especially for a comics guy like me. Seems like the only two comic book characters that go well in games(so far) are Batman and Spidey( unless you count Ultimate Alliance which was also an impulse buy, and fucking awesome).
Edit: almost forgot, my two biggest impulse buys were on the same day. Fable 2 and Left 4 Dead. That was a good day.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Speaking of impulse buys, that was weird. I just got a huge urge to go and buy Pulsefire Ezreal... I got curious as to how much the voice changed and research indicates that it's fucking awesome!

I was seriously going to buy that hugely expensive (yet awesome) skin. Thankfully (or not?) RP purchases are disabled because of maintenance at the moment.
I would hold off on buying it unless you are an amazing Ezreal player and you want to flaunt your awesomeness. However, he got hit by the nerf truck so I'm not sure you'd even want to have the theme that much anymore.