SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The 2022 NFL Draft is over, and with the final pick, aka: "Mr. Irrelevant," my Niners took QB Brock Purdy. Everyone has said how blasé this year's QB class has been, i.e.: only one going the first round, and the Niners' QB situation is one of the lingering unknowns, i.e.: we still have Jimmy G, and Trey Lance is thus far unproven... and we took a quarterback with the last fucking pick from a litter of basically none. That's like eating a stranger's leftovers at a Waffle House at 3am. At times, it feels like we seek out mediocrity; we show flashes of brilliance, and the moment we do, we find ways to shit the bed. Purdy better be like Tom Brady, someone with such a chip on his shoulder for being picked low in the Draft (dead fucking last in Purdy's case,) that he goes out and wins us a half-dozen Super Bowls.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that the US continues to find ways embarrass itself in the eyes of snooty Formula 1 fans. This weekend will be the inaugural Grand Prix in Miami, and despite being inland, they built a Monaco-esque marina replete with yachts and fake water. This is just gaudy and exactly the kind of shit fans outside of the US expect from us, i.e.: a focus on spectacle and not sport. 2023 will see a GP In Las Vegas; God only knows what spectacle they'll try there...

1651592223576.png

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Valtteri showing us the True Potential of Alfa Romeo and taking P5 in qualification behind the reds. While his teammate was stuck in traffic and didn't get a good lap in. The time zone is unfriendly to me, so I won't be watching the race itself.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Valtteri showing us the True Potential of Alfa Romeo and taking P5 in qualification behind the reds. While his teammate was stuck in traffic and didn't get a good lap in. The time zone is unfriendly to me, so I won't be watching the race itself.
Not fair; for years I've been getting up in the early AM to watch, and most recently stayed up until after midnight to watch the race in Australia; you can't give the US a couple GPs-worth of your attention?!?

But yeah, Valtteri looks great at Alfa Romeo. He looks like someone straight out of the chiropractor: relaxed and relieved. He's having fun again, and not just doing a job. Had it not been for a late mistake, he would have finished P5 ahead of both Mercedes (which I call a win,) but unfortunately, as they were on his heels when said mistake happened, they both overtook him putting him in P7 for the finish. Still, in the points, and a better showing so far than the Alfa Romeo team had in the past two years combined. And Zhou DNF'd it, so Bottas is basically doing this by himself. Lastly, Russell beat out Hamilton again, by one position, but...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
These street circuits are total ass though.
I don't have a problem with them. I can't honestly say I have a preference either way. Race circuit, street circuit, they each present the drivers with unique challenges that make the races something to watch. It seems fans want ideal circuits that make every lap out to be like lap 1 anywhere: lots of incidences, lots of changing of position, and that's just not feasible, not in a nigh 60 lap race where wear and tear will ultimately separate the weak from the strong. I personally don't want F1 to be like NASCAR where people ONLY watch for the wrecks; F1 is more nuanced than that, and when cars collide or a single car wrecks itself out, it's more the exception than the expectation.

Miami wasn't prefect, but that long stretch up top (I don't know where it was cardinally) made for exciting racing... provided drivers were capable enough to stay on the ass of the drivers in front of them. People complain about DRS trains, but you know what? THAT'S RACING! It makes watching the middle of the pack entertaining. It makes the fights for +10th position exciting. Unfortunately, probably the most exciting bit of yesterday's GP was when Hamilton and Russell passed Bottas; Bottas had such control until he went wide and had to stabilize his car while both Mercedes went by him.

All that said, street circuits DO need to accommodate the larger cars (looking at you Monaco...) If you want to have street circuits, they need to fit the size of the cars. I hate drivers wrecking each other out for sheer lack of space in a turn and not lack of driving talent. I've always said Bottas isn't aggressive enough on a start, and street circuits accentuate that when drivers get passed or wreck for lack of room or fear of colliding with a concrete barrier that SHOULD be a wall of tyres.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ok, Valtteri, I've been a rabid fan and staunch defender of yours for years. Then you go and post a picture of yourself on social media naked with your butt sticking out of the water in a river in Colorado. I... I just... I can't do this alone. We were just starting to garner the respect you deserve; don't give the detractors THIS kind of fuel! I know all the Formula 1 drivers have their eccentricities; don't let public nudity be yours. Leak a sex tape, get caught drunk with a woman other than your girlfriend in a nightclub, buy the Elephant Man's bones, etc., ANYTHING other than literally showing your ass on Facebook!

Reactions: Offworlder

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Chargers announced they season schedule with this, its amazing, all done in house.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If this was meant to deter me you are doing a pretty bad job.
Oh, I deter no one from their choice of fandom, just pointing out the Raiders moved from Oakland to Las Vegas two years ago. I mean, you can still be an Oakland Raiders fan if you want, just don't expect to see them play anytime soon.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Oh, I deter no one from their choice of fandom, just pointing out the Raiders moved from Oakland to Las Vegas two years ago. I mean, you can still be an Oakland Raiders fan if you want, just don't expect to see them play anytime soon.
True hookers and black jack and again hookers are all great but something about Oakland gave the Raiders their renegade edge. Same when the moved to LA something about that smaller market I guess.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
True hookers and black jack and again hookers are all great but something about Oakland gave the Raiders their renegade edge. Same when the moved to LA something about that smaller market I guess.
That, and their notoriously violent fanbase. For as sordid as the city can be, Vegas doesn't exactly suit the Raiders' traditional image. I dunno, too high-class? Too white-collar? The Raiders are thugs; they commit their crimes in the streets, not in champagne rooms.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Charles LeClerc crashed Niki Lauda's 1974 Ferrari...

I like LeClerc; I think he's a decent kid and it's been amazing watching him lead this 2022 season's World Driver's Championship the way he has, but he's a liability. He can't make it through a weekend without crashing his own car; who thought it was a good idea to put him behind the wheel of an iconic ride like Lauda's?? Why let ANYONE drive it is a better question, but why LeClerc is more precise. That's effectively handing the keys to the Bentley to someone with 200 points on their license. Hope he has insurance...

EDIT: Apparently, it was brake failure, so not entirely LeClerc's fault, but even still, akin to "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," if it's your fault enough times, people will have less sympathy when it's NOT your fault.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Due to the unlawful war raging between Russia and Ukraine, Formula 1 removed the Russian circuit for this season, and now it's been confirmed that they won't be replacing it with another race. So because of Putin, I only get to watch 22 F1 races instead of 23 this year. Putin's atrocities know no bounds.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Looks like the Warriors are gonna sweep the Mavs. I know people are sick and tired of Golden State, but man, you cannot deny that they have a pretty damn great story. They got a lot of flack for KD's trade, but when you look at them now, they're still tearing it up with players they drafted, and drafted pretty low too. Their offensive strategy is probably boring to most, but as a football fan, I love seeing them maneuver around their opponents with passes and great positioning. I'm still holding out for the Heat to get the chip, but just looking at the Warriors play I feel like that won't happen.

Speaking of, man I find football boring as fuck these days. Probably the media's fault, but it feels like the popular clubs are just doing horribly instead of less known clubs doing better. Messi is basically retiring after an embarrassing debut at PSG. I guess this is just a transitional period from the Ronaldo-Messi era, but man it's just kinda sad.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Looks like the Warriors are gonna sweep the Mavs. I know people are sick and tired of Golden State, but man, you cannot deny that they have a pretty damn great story. They got a lot of flack for KD's trade, but when you look at them now, they're still tearing it up with players they drafted, and drafted pretty low too. Their offensive strategy is probably boring to most, but as a football fan, I love seeing them maneuver around their opponents with passes and great positioning. I'm still holding out for the Heat to get the chip, but just looking at the Warriors play I feel like that won't happen.

Speaking of, man I find football boring as fuck these days. Probably the media's fault, but it feels like the popular clubs are just doing horribly instead of less known clubs doing better. Messi is basically retiring after an embarrassing debut at PSG. I guess this is just a transitional period from the Ronaldo-Messi era, but man it's just kinda sad.
People always forget that Steph, Klay and Dray where all drafted as well (Klay and Dray in the same draft) , its always been a team built off strong picks. Anytime someone tries the ol' NBA fan toxicity towards them I remind them of that. Even then they've done well in trading, e.g. Wiggins. They're the best run, tightly drilled team in the league and have been as long as Kerr has been there, that's why they succeed. Yeah sometimes its 'lol GS win' but its a marvel to behold when something its so beuatifully constructed, both on and off the court.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan