Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Not my cup of tea, but good for whoever gets it. Decent game I suppose.

As far as the potential FFVII remake goes, considering the huge graphical update and alterations that would be needed to adapt it to the canon of the Compilation, might take a while.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Lawnmooer said:
*Sigh* I just finished playing through FFX the other day (I can't remember exactly, but long enough ago for me to have finished Shadow Hearts Covenent, Dirge of Cerberus and Zelda: Ocarina of time Master Quest)

Did it really need new visuals? The only really big thing I saw in my play through was the fact that back then faces sucked at showing expressions (Which was only pointed out when Yuna said she was frowning... But still had the same expression she had the entire game)

Also WTB FFVIII... Mines broken and is the only one in my collection I haven't recently played through (Well that and Crystal Chronicles... Because like hell can I be bothered with finding a working GC memory card)
It will probably just be an HD upscale like they've been doing recently with the God of War and Sly Cooper collections. Realistically, all they need to do is get the game running at 720p or 1080p and make the engine compatible with the Playstation 3 and Vita hardware. Compared to any of the PS1 Final Fantasy games, which would all but necessitate a complete remake, what they're doing with Final Fantasy X is relatively simple.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Ehh not my first choice, but good for the people who actually want it... I guess.

If it is a complete remake I might look into it, but if it's just a slight upgrade then I can just ignore it. I have the original if I really want to play it.

illmuri

Jan 24, 2011
Excludos said:
So Square Enix really is out of ideas? I'm not against the remake, its a very good game after all. But it seems a tad pointless to me. The graphics aren't even that bad, even for today's standards. I'd rather see them put the resources into making a new, GOOD, ff game.
Likely due to lagging sales in the RPG market, lukewarm reception of XIII, and a large tsunami that nailed their country a bit ago; I imagine Square is looking for minimal investment for some easy income in order to reduce the risk of XIII-2.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
longboardfan said:
Archangel768 said:
My favourite game ever and I can't wait for it.

Also, the thing you said about the protagonist in the article is a huge spoiler. I know this game is old but there are many people that will probably not have played this before that will be buying the HD release. So maybe it would be a good idea to put that in spoiler tags or something. Sorry but I just hate stories being spoiled no matter how old the game might be.
Wait really? You serious? Spoiler tags on a game that came out ten years ago? The fate of Tidas is well known gamer cultural knowledge. Even players that have never played it have at least heard of the terrible plot, bad voice acting, and the ending.
Really? That's strange, they released a great game in PAL territories with a fantastic plot, decent voice acting and a great ending. What did you guys in the US get? Strange how they must change the game depending on the region.

Also, I said in my first post I didn't care about the age of the game. I and many others have not played many of the classic games out there but are very interested in doing so. I still have not played Final Fantasy IV, VI, IX yet I want to play them and will get the chance one day to play them and many other games I missed out on. I don't want people that write news articles to include spoilers in their articles without warning people of what's to come. The only reason I and many others have never played these games are because we were too young and didn't have the money (and still don't have the money) to buy them but we will eventually play them and it doesn't help us enjoy the games when people leave spoilers around without even so much as a warning.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
JeanLuc761 said:
It will probably just be an HD upscale like they've been doing recently with the God of War and Sly Cooper collections. Realistically, all they need to do is get the game running at 720p or 1080p and make the engine compatible with the Playstation 3 and Vita hardware. Compared to any of the PS1 Final Fantasy games, which would all but necessitate a complete remake, what they're doing with Final Fantasy X is relatively simple.
Exactly why they are doing FFX now, because it won't take much resources to give FFX the collection upscale treatment, versus the ground up complete reconstruction of every part of FFVII (or any of the pre-PS2 FFs) which people have been guessing would be 3-5 years of work.

as said already, how well FFX does will probably dictate how much enthusiasm for when SE eventually releases the FFVII remake. besides, i actually like FFX due to the mindf**k story and trippy visual aesthetic - i'd prefer X to the bland story of XII (although i loved the battle system).

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
unacomn said:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.
I'll join my voice to his... this is NOT what *I* wanted when I heard "FF remake for PS3"...

Bah, what can you do?

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I'd hate to be within a 3 mile radius of the Spoony One when he hear this.

But I have to ask, why remake X and not VII? I'm pretty sure a remake VII is in much higher demand than X. I'm willing to follow the reasoning by Shamus that it isn't all that cheap to make a remake of VII, but will a remake of X be really all that easier? And if they 'reuse' the graphics from the original to make things easier, what is the point of the remake? Honestly, I don't get this as a buisness decision. The release on their mobile platform, sure, that's to be expected but on the PS3?

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
bificommander said:
I'd hate to be within a 3 mile radius of the Spoony One when he hear this.

But I have to ask, why remake X and not VII? I'm pretty sure a remake VII is in much higher demand than X. I'm willing to follow the reasoning by Shamus that it isn't all that cheap to make a remake of VII, but will a remake of X be really all that easier? And the graphical jump you make isn't nearly as big (I couldn't get into VII when I got a PC copy, and the graphics were a pretty mayor reason for it.), so there goes one of the main advantages. Honestly, I don't get this as a buisness decision.
It's cheap... the fans loving it is pretty much a sure thing... and it makes Square Enix look awesome after FFXIII bombed and FFXIV bombed even harder.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I liked this game, until the big plot twist, it completely killed the game for me, I still finished it, but I have yet to see a worse plot twist, probably wont get it

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
They really aught to shoot who ever hase been calling the shots at squee since 10 came out.

12 is the only shining one of the bunch and it had a lot of flaws, but 10! dear god what are they thinking.

I hated the story, the characters, the skill rings, the voices(they only dodged the bullet at the time because we never had voice overs for the most part), the blitz ball, the FUCKING TEMPLE PUZZLES. the random monsters, and the fact that I didn't learn a skill that stops you from getting gibbed late in the game made me a rage quit. And that everyone was so bloody cheery and prancing about like their shit didn't just get real.

The only thing I liked about the game Was that language quest thing where you find books and can decipher more and more of an unknown language.

The fact that it isnt getting any xbox love now that square does cross platform final fantasy this is just a glorious turd basket.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Just please, for the love of all that is (un)holy- CUT THE LAUGHING SCENE. GET RID OF IT. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?!

Sinathor

Mar 16, 2011
Leave games that don't need remaking alone. Seriously. FFX is a great game. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I liked FFX, but does it really need to be remade/re-released? There were a lot of great elements and I wouldn't mind if a future Final Fantasy game borrowed from the FFX battle system a bit. But it's not so old that the people who remember it probably don't still have a copy. I know I do (somewhere) and if I really wanted to play it that badly, I'd just dust off my old copy and play it. Still, there are worse things they could do.

And since there is an underlying topic here. Honestly, I'm not even sure I want them to remake FFVII. And I'm a fan of the game. I just don't know if they could remake it without trying to tweak it a bit. And then what would we end up with? And that goes for other old school, but not quite that old, Final Fantasy games, as well. Yes, I'm thinking of FFVI, FFVIII, and FFIX in particular.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Zetsubou-Sama said:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.

Are you fuckin' nuts?! FFX was one of the worst!