Square Enix Finally Confirms PC Final Fantasy VII

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
TheKasp said:
Exterminas said:
Huh?
I have the PC-Version of this game already. Bought it years ago.
What are the News?
Can't you read?

Do you write the same under every news about HD remakes?
The story specifically says that it WON'T be a full HD-remake, so maybe tone down on the attitude?
I see nothing from the trailer that even hints of a graphics-upgrade.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Exterminas said:
Huh?
What are the News?
It's like gog.com.

Sure, "The Incredible Machine" was released almost two decades ago, but good luck getting the not-gog.com version running.

Apparently, the old FFVII PC is impossible to get working on modern hardware. So this fixes that.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'm actually pretty annoyed that this "new lease of life" is the same bloody game that's available on PSN with added micro-transactions. I love Final Fantasy 7 and all, in fact it's one of my favourites along with 5, 6 and 9 but this is just more of Square teasing people who want to see a legit remake of 7.

Of course there's always the chance that they're doing to see how high the sales will be and then if the figures are high enough they'll see that FF7 has enough interest for a proper remake.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheKasp said:
Exterminas said:
Huh?
What are the News?
Can't you read?

The best part is that, had YOU read the article, you'd see

JezWilkinson said:
Although that's not happened yet, and this isn't the full HD remake many were clamoring for,
Heh heh heh.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Jonci said:
But.... didn't FFVII get a PC port years ago? It was back during the Windows 98 days.
Indeed there was one already, but (from what I've heard) it's a nightmare to get it to run in modern systems, not to mention the horrible, pixelated low res in today's hardware. Heck, I think it's a lot easier to get the game running with a PS1 emulator than making the PC version to work.

This new release is meant to adress the issues the original port had, in short, making a better port, 14 years later and making it easier to get it to run in newer systems.

Now, to my useless opinion: If it were released for Steam, I'd MAY buy this game, but now I'm not that much interested.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TheKasp said:
Can't you read?

this isn't an HD remake, its ANOTHER re-release.

that's all, the official site says nothing about HD, only that they added achievements (insert your favorite 'look at all the fucks i give' image here) and some lame stat booster thing (repeat image)

Exterminas said:
Huh?
What are the News?
agreed, but ;) do you have the PC version of FF8 as well?

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
templar1138a said:
Next you'll tell me that Spiderman and Wolverine were in The Avengers,
They were, technically. They were members of a team called the New Avengers. The first "New Avengers" comic was published in January 2005.

OT: Meh. I'm indifferent. I played FFVII on my PS3 a while back and though it was decent, at best. It was an influential game, but by now it's really dated; the graphics are a bit painful to look at, the environments are difficult to navigate, there's no support for the analog stick, the translation was bad ("Off course!" and "This guy are sick" spring to mind) and, other than Limit Breaks, there's not enough things that differentiate the characters in battle. Unless this rerelease fixes many of these issues, then I'm not going to buy it. I bought it once and had my fill. I don't see the point in purchasing a game that I'm done with a second time.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Yaaaaaaay!

Now I can play the game as it was meant to be! With Chieeeevs n' Cheeeeats!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well...eh.

I'm not a big fan of FFVII (FFVIII being my favorite) but I was kinda hoping to see a full HD remake for a console. You know, like that one demo they showed ages ago and we just can't get over it (In all fairness, it was their own damn fault). Instead we got the same game we got years ago, same pixelated, square-like characters and cutscenes.

This is not even close to a HD remake. And I really don't care much who published the last FFVII PC version. It's still the same shit as the one that came out years ago for the PC, plust the ability to add patches and maybe new things...but still the same thing.

I know Square-Enix is just doing it so people can just shut up about a FFVII remake once and for all but...that's so not what we meant. Square, you're making it hard for me to keep my faith on you. I really like you. But sometimes I wonder...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The FMVs shown in the trailer are pretty clearly upscaled (not super well, but it's certainly better than letting it scale all pixelated or blurry like they otherwise would). The game will at least run at higher resolutions than before, even if they haven't actually changed the content at all. It's nothing amazing, but it'll still be better looking than running the PSX version on a PS3.

P.S. Thanks
P.P.S. Trust me

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
....Or you could just make ISO's of the disc's and run the game in an emulator for PSX....

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
lacktheknack said:
Exterminas said:
Huh?
What are the News?
It's like gog.com.

Sure, "The Incredible Machine" was released almost two decades ago, but good luck getting the not-gog.com version running.

Apparently, the old FFVII PC is impossible to get working on modern hardware. So this fixes that.
It is not impossible to get working on modern hardware. It's not even difficult. This is an easy cash grab, nothing more.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
And not a shit was given that...Oh wait, sorry fan boys. I will await your whining flames.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
'Download the quintessential Final Fantasy today. . . Coming soon'

Great trailer guys, well done.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Jonci said:
But.... didn't FFVII get a PC port years ago? It was back during the Windows 98 days.
Windows 95 days. It came out 1 day before Window 98 did and was no doubt ported with Windows 95 in mind.

It's pretty much unplayable on modern systems.

tehweave said:
Doesn't FF7 already exist for PC?
It's a re-release, why the fuck does everyone pretend that a re-release is the end of the world? In the last 2 days I have seen so many people asking this.

YES, it was released for Windows 9x 14 years ago. It is no longer being sold by Square so the only way to get it is to buy it from an eBay seller (or similar) for an outrageous price. It doesn't run well on modern systems and certainly isn't HD. I think the old one ran at 640x480 or at the most, 800x600. They won't release it in 2012 with only those resolutions.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
If this gets labeled as an HD version, it will be a pretty epic disaster. You can't make an HD version of a game with blurry static backgrounds and character models that are made of approximately 5 triangles. If it doesn't, then, well, doesn't this already exist? Not sure what their plan is. As for the game itself, way way waaaaaaaay overrated. Square could never write a single line of dialogue that doesn't make you want to shoot yourself in the face to save their lives, its story is really mediocre compared to many other games of its genre and time period (like Grandia 2), and its world is about 1/100 as immersive as games like Skies of Arcadia or pretty much any Dragon Quest. Shrug and pass.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Carnagath said:
If this gets labeled as an HD version, it will be a pretty epic disaster. You can't make an HD version of a game with blurry static backgrounds and character models that are made of approximately 5 triangles. If it doesn't, then, well, doesn't this already exist? Not sure what their plan is. As for the game itself, way way waaaaaaaay overrated. Square could never write a single line of dialogue that doesn't make you want to shoot yourself in the face to save their lives, its story is really mediocre compared to many other games of its genre and time period (like Grandia 2), and its world is about 1/100 as immersive as games like Skies of Arcadia or pretty much any Dragon Quest. Shrug and pass.
If only...

Well, it will certainly run at higher than 800x600. The trailer looked good at 720p.