Square Enix Finally Confirms PC Final Fantasy VII

RubinOnRye

Nov 7, 2011
Jonci said:
But.... didn't FFVII get a PC port years ago? It was back during the Windows 98 days.
YES, It came out on both PC and Playstation at the same time. I still have my original PC version. I also still have my original version of Tomb Raider for PC.

NO HD WHO CARES!! NO HD WHO CARES!!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Like others, I am annoyed that this isn't an HD remake. I'm not even an FFVII fanboy, I just wanted another chance to play and beat FFVII.
Sure the graphics are a tiny bit better, but this seems like Squenix trying to raking in moneys just because they know they can.

/disappoint

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
chiefohara said:
Pity its a glorified port, i'd have bought an updated version
It is an updated version.

They are adding achievements, cloud saving and that booster, those alone qualify it as an updated version. You really think they are releasing this with no graphical or resolution upgrades? The trailer runs in 720p and it looks fine.

On another note, is it just me or the Escapist not as fast moving as it used to be?

targren

May 13, 2009
A new lease on life, my arse. A tweak to a 1998 port of a 1997 game. Oooh, shiny. :p

Besides, if anything deserved attention, it's the FF VIII PC port, which is now entirely unplayable on any modern NVidia card. And includes an executable of the little chocobo game for the PSX peripheral we never got over here.

But no, instead we get yet another suckjob for the Sephiroth fangirls. Be still my beating heart.

#BitterMuch

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Give us Dragon Quest VIII for the PC instead of FFVII. FFVII is a good game, don't get me wrong, but how about they give us a much better game? Huh? Who's with me?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
targren said:
A new lease on life, my arse. A tweak to a 1998 port of a 1997 game. Oooh, shiny. :p

Besides, if anything deserved attention, it's the FF VIII PC port, which is now entirely unplayable on any modern NVidia card. And includes an executable of the little chocobo game for the PSX peripheral we never got over here.

But no, instead we get yet another suckjob for the Sephiroth fangirls. Be still my beating heart.

#BitterMuch
Maybe Final Fantasy VIII will get an update release too but naturally VII would come first.

IamShmgeggy said:
Give us Dragon Quest VIII for the PC instead of FFVII. FFVII is a good game, don't get me wrong, but how about they give us a much better game? Huh? Who's with me?
I'll take both and I would love to see Final Fantasy XII on PC.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I don't care about this game, but, as always, I question why people are getting so excited over this. It's not a step forward, its simply a stagnation by letting gamers wallow in their own nostalgia. I think releasing a new game, even if its bad, does more then simply updating an re-releasing an old good game.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Seems kind of cheap to just be able to click and max a stat or gil. Then again, if Square Enix is smart, it'll make that feature DLC.

So it wouldn't exactly be cheap then, huh?

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
In the Immortal words of Admiral Ackbar:

I'm not believing a thing until the Let's plays come out.

targren

May 13, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Maybe Final Fantasy VIII will get an update release too but naturally VII would come first.
Not a chance. FF VII is apparently the only numbered Final Fantasy game that Squeenix acknowledges the existence of once FF N+1 is released.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Candidus said:
JezWilkinson said:
fans will no doubt be relieved that Square Enix have at last seen fit to give the acclaimed game a new lease of life.
What? No... Not at all. Square Enix is a company whose executives don't have an awful lot of common sense; in their own little minds, this minute effort is actually intended to reduce the clamour for a remake.

This is nothing more than "please shut up and buy the really terrible new stories we're producing these days... please buy the dreadful FF 10 HD we're planning... don't talk about FF7 any more"

Ahhh, no matter. In my world, Square died after FF9.
In a way they did. Squaresoft merged with Enix shotly after the release of 10 and a lot of people left the company. While I loved 10 (9 was my favorite), it does seem that anyone with any talent for writing left when this happened.

OT: Do not care. I have a PS1 copy that still works as well as a digital copy off the PSN. I liked 7 but I would rather have a remake of FF 9. And by remake I mean current gen graphics not one change to the story.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Deviate said:
Twilight_guy said:
I don't care about this game, but, as always, I question why people are getting so excited over this. It's not a step forward, its simply a stagnation by letting gamers wallow in their own nostalgia. I think releasing a new game, even if its bad, does more then simply updating an re-releasing an old good game.
When there's nothing being released but crappy shitfests, I'll take any good game no matter when it was originally made. The biggest bloody titles of the last couple of years have all sucked fully sized monkeys through garden hoses when compared to some of these good old games.

So yeah, no... a bad new game does nothing for gaming anymore but suck the life out of the devs and gamers alike.
You are so right. I enjoy playing FF 7-10 more than any other game in the last 5-6 years. The same with many older games. I just got the Ratchet and Clank HD Trillogy and I have not had as much fun with a current gen game as I had with them.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Buretsu said:
Candidus said:
JezWilkinson said:
fans will no doubt be relieved that Square Enix have at last seen fit to give the acclaimed game a new lease of life.
What? No... Not at all. Square Enix is a company whose executives don't have an awful lot of common sense; in their own little minds, this minute effort is actually intended to reduce the clamour for a remake.

This is nothing more than "please shut up and buy the really terrible new stories we're producing these days... please buy the dreadful FF 10 HD we're planning... don't talk about FF7 any more"

Ahhh, no matter. In my world, Square died after FF9.
In my world, they died after FFVI... and FFVII was the bullet that blew their brains out. If you hated FFXIII, you only have FFVII to blame for it.
Why is VII to blame for XIII?

Jun 11, 2008
Reading this topic reminds me and makes me glad the Escapist has finally gotten over spamming the forums with JRPG and Final Fantasy threads. Yes, we get it already not everyone likes FF VII. You also have your own personal FF game where Square died for you. Finally the one one other or FF JRPG that is better than FF VII.

OT: I'll see when there is more information out if I get this.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Every time FFVII is mentioned, I am remembered of how much I've outgrown JRPGs. Loved them back in the day, but now I find their characters annoying, their plots derivative and predictable and their worlds unimmersive.

I thim I'm getting old.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Basically what you get is, a lvl 99 button to instantly max level, achievements, and leader boards. There are HD mods out for the original PC version so why anyone would bother with this is beyond me.
Sticking to the PSOne version.