Square Enix Finally Confirms PC Final Fantasy VII

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Do the majority of PC gamers really care about JRPGs? Especially one that's apparently 14 years old? Not trolling here, just speaking as a PC gamer with experience of other PC gamers and its just not a genre we seem to care about as a whole.

It's one of the reasons almost none of them exist on PC, apart from Japanese developers avoiding the PC in general.

Then again I know nothing about this game so maybe its literally the god of all JRPGs that transcends peoples problems with the genre.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
didn't they release FFVII on the PC somewhere in the 90,s?
still it,s nice to see that a game that has been out of print for years to make a return.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
TheKasp said:
Exterminas said:
Huh?
I have the PC-Version of this game already. Bought it years ago.
What are the News?
Can't you read?

Do you write the same under every news about HD remakes?
They haven't said this is a HD remake. Just the same game with achievements, cloud saves and "character booster" added. Unless you're an achievements addict (or really paranoid about saved games being safe), it doesn't really seem to add much over the original PC release.

lacktheknack said:
Apparently, the old FFVII PC is impossible to get working on modern hardware. So this fixes that.
Really? I last played it a couple of years ago.

To be fair, I guess this give a non-ebay way of getting hold of a copy of the game for PC. *shrug*

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Anyone who grew up playing this game does not need a fucking "character booster". That's just stupid.

And everyone who posted above me about the PC version already existing and being able to run on modern hardware is correct. I have pirated copies running on the same machine with those god-awful PC-versions of Resident Evil and the better-than-console versions of Tomb Raider.

PC master race reporting in.

Saint Angeles

Mar 16, 2011
Wow... so one of the awesome new features of the game is the ability to cheat to whatever level you're comfortable with?

It saddens me (as a fan of the series back when it was actually good) that whoever is in charge of innovative ideas at Square Enix is beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Jun 11, 2008
girzwald said:
robert01 said:
girzwald said:
Kenjitsuka said:
HALLELUJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOOO happy right now :D :D :D
Waiting since 1997, Square!
Just curious, what are you so excited about? You obviously have already played and likely own a copy of FF7 in some fashion. So, you are excited about....................... what? Achievements? Character boost? Cloud saving? Here is an answer to those.

Who cares. Stop being bad. Get a bigger HD.
I think he meant it being on PC(which it always has been, same as FFVIII). It was just that the games didn't have the same commercial success on the PC because they were plagued with a lot of technical issues.
You drew all that from what he said? That's quite a lot of in between the lines reading.

And I'm pretty sure that's not why they had low commercial success. The internet was just coming out of its infancy and the way games are reviewed and picked apart now, isn't the way it used to be. I doubt few people "read a review" or saw that it had "technical issues" and then said "well forget that!". It probably had low success because the PS version came out first and then the PC version came out. And at the time, it required a semi powerful computer and graphics card. Which probably also kept a lot of people from buying it.
He said waiting since 1997 and given that the game came out in 1997 it isn't that big of a leap to make especially since the PC release was quite bug ridden. It makes newly released Bethesda games look stable in comparison.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
Glademaster said:
girzwald said:
robert01 said:
girzwald said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Just curious, what are you so excited about? You obviously have already played and likely own a copy of FF7 in some fashion. So, you are excited about....................... what? Achievements? Character boost? Cloud saving? Here is an answer to those.

I think he meant it being on PC(which it always has been, same as FFVIII). It was just that the games didn't have the same commercial success on the PC because they were plagued with a lot of technical issues.
You drew all that from what he said? That's quite a lot of in between the lines reading.

And I'm pretty sure that's not why they had low commercial success. The internet was just coming out of its infancy and the way games are reviewed and picked apart now, isn't the way it used to be. I doubt few people "read a review" or saw that it had "technical issues" and then said "well forget that!". It probably had low success because the PS version came out first and then the PC version came out. And at the time, it required a semi powerful computer and graphics card. Which probably also kept a lot of people from buying it.
He said waiting since 1997 and given that the game came out in 1997 it isn't that big of a leap to make especially since the PC release was quite bug ridden. It makes newly released Bethesda games look stable in comparison.
So whats your point? The game was bug ridden ( not really, and there are plenty of user patches to fix these bugs ) so...........what?

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
robert01 said:
girzwald said:
robert01 said:
girzwald said:
Kenjitsuka said:

Perhaps, but it didn't need a 3d accelerator to run, the computer I played it on did not have one. It was a modest P2 350Mhz (if I remember correctly), that used the software renderer.
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but if I remember correctly, that was still pretty decent, for the time. Just checked and according to wikipedia, the Pentium 2 was released in 97 and FF7 was brought to PC in 98. So, it stands to reason that if you had the relatively new P2, you had a decent video card as well. And it wasn't just about the video card, had to have a good processor as well. I remember when I first got it, it was choppy as hell and summons took minutes to pan out because of a PC and video card that could barely run it. Which probably turned a lot of people off like I said a few posts ago because their PC's didn't meet more than the minimum requirements.

Deem-4

Jul 6, 2012
Not really what I was hoping for, SE. But then again, I've been waiting 7 freaking years for Kingdom Hearts III too, and all you keep putting out are these damn handheld games. Now if only they were to bundle them in a collection the way God of War did, that way people who don't have all the fucking handhelds available to mankind could also keep up with the story... Anyway, won't be getting this.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Glademaster said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Skratt said:
No steam release? bah
I'd rather not see a Steam release for this. I'd like to be able play FF7 on my PC without needing to be online. Not that Steam is bad for that but the odd time that my internet conks out with my PC off would make me displeased.
They could always do both and I don't see why not. For those that like every single game to be on Steam they could sell it to them on Steam while everyone else can just get it via their website.
Because then they have to split the money with Valve, and run the risk of Newell saying "Fuck it, let's give it away for $1.50. Frankly, if I were a developer, I wouldn't do business with Valve.

OT: I've lost interest in any Square-Enix game that doesn't let me beat my enemies to death with my car keys.
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/how-valve-devalued-video-games-and-why-thats-good-news-for-developers-and-p

Sometimes quantity of sales is better than "quality".

Jun 11, 2008
girzwald said:
Glademaster said:
girzwald said:
robert01 said:
girzwald said:
Kenjitsuka said:

So whats your point? The game was bug ridden ( not really, and there are plenty of user patches to fix these bugs ) so...........what?
My point was him saying he was waiting for the PC release is not a big leap of logic.
Bhaalspawn said:
Glademaster said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Skratt said:
No steam release? bah
I'd rather not see a Steam release for this. I'd like to be able play FF7 on my PC without needing to be online. Not that Steam is bad for that but the odd time that my internet conks out with my PC off would make me displeased.
They could always do both and I don't see why not. For those that like every single game to be on Steam they could sell it to them on Steam while everyone else can just get it via their website.
Because then they have to split the money with Valve, and run the risk of Newell saying "Fuck it, let's give it away for $1.50. Frankly, if I were a developer, I wouldn't do business with Valve.

OT: I've lost interest in any Square-Enix game that doesn't let me beat my enemies to death with my car keys.
Also Valve still have to buy keys off them so if Valve are selling it below price as a loss leader and losing money it is their fault.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Jonci said:
But.... didn't FFVII get a PC port years ago? It was back during the Windows 98 days.
Yes, but it was bug filled and looked atrocious.
On of the worst ports ever.
Besides, it doesn't even run properly on vista and 7, if at all.

lockeslylcrit

Dec 28, 2008
The Character Booster sounds shady. I don't want to see a Pay2Win business model on a single-player game, much less one that's over a decade and a half old.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
This is basically FFVII PC from years ago with this [http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8915.0] pre-installed, nothing more.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
Glademaster said:
girzwald said:
Glademaster said:
girzwald said:
robert01 said:
girzwald said:
Kenjitsuka said:

My point was him saying he was waiting for the PC release is not a big leap of logic.
Bhaalspawn said:
Glademaster said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Skratt said:
No steam release? bah

Also Valve still have to buy keys off them so if Valve are selling it below price as a loss leader and losing money it is their fault.
Again, what is your point? Hes been waiting since 1997.....for what? What "big leap of logic" are you not making? If hes been waiting for a PC release, he only had to wait 1 year after the PSX release. Since its been out since 1998. And its worked and still works on modern PC's due to user patches.

Again, what point about are you trying to make?

Jun 11, 2008
girzwald said:
Glademaster said:
girzwald said:
Glademaster said:
girzwald said:
robert01 said:
girzwald said:
Kenjitsuka said:

Bhaalspawn said:
Glademaster said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Skratt said:
No steam release? bah

Again, what is your point? Hes been waiting since 1997.....for what? What "big leap of logic" are you not making? If hes been waiting for a PC release, he only had to wait 1 year after the PSX release. Since its been out since 1998. And its worked and still works on modern PC's due to user patches.

Again, what point about are you trying to make?
That is exactly what you said in reply to this.

I am saying that is not a lot of reading in between the lines to see that the original person in this quote chain might be excited for an official non bug ridden PC re-release. I don't see how I can make it any clearer. I already stated my point thrice now.

Red_Knight

Oct 17, 2011
If they aren't going to fill in the missing portions of the storyline and update the graphics, I hardly see a point to all this. I can play it on my PS3 as a download now and get to use all my old saves...