Star Wars...Why should I see it?

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
What's the harm in seeing them? It only takes a few hours. They're still good films, even now. Sure, they aren't the most complex films in the world, sure they might even be a little overrated, but they're still good. And a good film is a good film, regardless of when it was made. A good film is timeless.

Just watch it to determine whether or not you like it. It shouldn't be hard to find the films for cheap. Heck, some of your friends probably have the series on DVD.

You know, in the time you spent pondering about "whether to watch" the films or not, and writing this forum thread, and reading the replies.... you could have probably watched the films at least once by now, thus resolving the issue.

Either watch them or don't. Make the choice. Or how about this - watch the first Star Wars film, and then decide whether or not to watch the rest.

Star Wars is not an indispensable part of cinema, nor is it one of the greatest film series ever made. They're good stories, told with ambition and reasonable acting. Looking back now, Star Wars doesn't seem so special, but when it was originally release, please realize that it was really big and the special effects were amazing, for their time.

It won't hurt you to watch it. It's not like it'll dissolve your eyeballs into a gooey soup or anything like that, and I'm sure you can spend a few hours watching them. Heck, you come to the escapist right? Then you MUST have free time.

Jul 22, 2009
Gaz6231 said:
This sentence is like saying George Foreman was the worst thing to happen to the George Foreman grill. You do know that George Lucas wrote Star Wars, right?
You.

ash-brewster said:
He changes and butchers his own work so much he should be taken away and shot. Plus episodes 1 2 and 3... just no.
Pretty much this.

George Lucas created and ruined his own masterpiece.

He ripped it to shreds, and left it dying on the roadside.

shedra

Sep 15, 2009
You obviously care enough about the movies to start this topic. That's a fine reason.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
First off you don't need to type period when you are typing something, that makes you sound like a douche. Second, you should take a little time one of these days to get it over with and watch them, don't worry, they are much better then episodes 1, 2, and 3. I personally love the action scenes, also it is just fun to watch. You don't have much to lose if you watch them.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
to understand the popculture references.

I had no interest in the Godfather prior to seeing it, but dammit i wanted to get the references so i sat through them all. And guess what i'm glad i did because they were fantastic movies.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Cases for seeing the movies:
1. They are widely considered to be the original/earliest really good incarnation of the space and sci-fi genres. It's worth seeing them if for no other reason than to see what spawned an entire genre of copycats and an entire creepy, sticky subculture.

2. They're actually pretty good movies. Not the best things ever made by any stretch (prepares flame shield) but definitely good, entertaining movies.

3. Chewbacca. That is all.

Cases against:
1. You don't have any interest. And...that's really it for this section.

Ultimately, if you don't want to see them, don't. It's a worthwhile watch, though, if only because it's considered by most people to be the greatest early space epic/sci-fi movie and it did create a massive ripple effect in popular culture.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
Unless you can get the older versions pre remaster don't....HAN SHOT FIRST LET IT BE KNOWN!
No he didn't. In order to shoot first, they both would have had to shoot. Greedo didn't shoot at all.

As for why you should see them...? If you have to ask that, you really probably wouldn't like them one way or the other. They are formula writing in their purest form about a heroes' adventure to defeat evil. They were made popular by an interesting setting, great one-liners, power presence of characters, and amazing special effects. They aren't going to change the world when you see them, but if you do see them, you'll understand why they created such a phenomenon.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why should I watch these movies I hold no interest in?
If you have no interest in them, why would you watch them?

If you want a reason to watch them, the original trilogy are timeless epic classics with a very good narrative and characterization, despite the occasional "woopsy".

The "other" trilogy, Episodes I, II and III, you shouldn't watch. Ever. You'll be better off for it.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Watch the original trilogy as a history lesson of how movies have changed before and after. Just skip the prequels.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, what have you got to lose? Besides, the have a big influence on pop culture so they're probably worth watching so you can pick up on in-jokes.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
watch the original trilogy, it is amazing

the prequal trilogy however.... you could be forgiven for skipping it

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Nimcha said:
First of all, it's "should have". Second of all, watching the story in chronological order makes sense.
That's true i agree. Hey OP play Knight of the Old Republic which takes place 400 YEARS before Ep1. Just kidding

OT: Star Wars set the bar for how imaginative and thorough a sci-fi world can be. It was mostly responsible for lifting the genre from the cliche of "the future is the present; but shinier" and made it a plausible contender of Fantasy fiction. Plus they were some DAMN good movies
If ANY of that interests you one bit, watch Star Wars.

Temple of Dregs

Oct 14, 2010
I'll start with my own opinion. I like the original three movies, they're good not great. I first saw them when the "updated" versions hit theaters back when I was maybe ten. The most recent three movies were not THAT bad but I personally felt they missed out on a lot of potential awesome.

So, why should you see it? JUST BECAUSE. Really.

The films are classic. While most of the story is pretty much one cliche after another, with no real dramatic twists, they're done well enough that it still feels unique enough to enjoy the ride. If you're into science fiction at all you might find yourself thinking "Hey, Such-and-such made a reference to that" which by itself is worth sitting through the movies at least once for me.

Also:
MrNickster said:
(I didn't like The Godfather)
Really? I thought I was the only one.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Why should you watch movies you hold no interest for? Yes... why should you?

On the other hand, you might find them very interesting indeed when you watch it. I've found some of the most fantastic films and games that I thought I'd hate by doing so...

Unless someone is forcing you to watch it on threat of death, if you really don't want to, don't bother as you won't enjoy it.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
You don't have to, but if you need someone to give you some reasons then here's my attempt:

They're essentially part of a culture and, if anything, will help you to understand that culture a little better. Plus, you're not losing anything by watching them; if you hate them at least you can give an educated reason for it, if you like them then you'll be glad you watched them.

And even though we all pretty much know how they go by now they're still worth watching. It's like watching a movie based off of a book; it's more about the experience and how much it immerses you in the world its set in. I knew how LOTR ended, but I still enjoyed those movies, same goes for Star Wars. Plus, it'll help you to see where most of modern science fiction cinema got its inspiration from and it might also draw you into the movies that Star Wars drew its inspiration from (Westerns, Samurai movies, various novels, etc.).

If it's not your thing then it's not your thing, but by watching it you'd at least know why you don't like it and can state it confidently. So, if nothing else, watch it for that reason.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Is there a reason NOT TO?
I mean, sure. You know whats going to happen. Sure, everything is spoiled.
But its one of the main staples for modern day sci fi. Anything that can compete with Star Trek is good for a reason.

The acters are good. The script is great. The characters are likeable. Theres no reason to not see it. Im not saying go out and buy the collectors edition pack or anything, but give it a rent.