Stonking Great Game Contest Now Live!

Mephisteus

Jul 16, 2008
scarybug said:
I understand that you're not trying to run a completely evil contest, and that this is supposed to be a fun thing. I love the Escapist and Zero Punctuation, but any serious Flash Game Developer will recognize this contest is a BAD DEAL.

You are basically getting a free video game made about ZP, and the developer of the game gets nothing. Even worse, the losers of the game end up working spec.

If you want to run a contest for browser games, let anyone enter a game they've already made, and don't claim any copyright to it expect to reproduce it on the site along with images from the game for promotional purposes. That's what IGF and PAX do.

If you want a Zero Punctuation game, pay a good development team to make one. That's what Cartoon Network and Aardman Animation do.

If you're thinking of entering this contest. Why not instead use that time to make a game that you keep the rights to and try to get a sponsor on Flash Game License or even just make some ad money using Mochi Ads? A good flash game can make thousands of dollars, but not if you give it away.
Because no one said it had to be serious, and on that same flow this is the kind of thing that does look nice on a resume if you're just starting out.

Its only a bad deal if you make it one. For me its a bad deal since I know nothing about flash, for others its a bad deal because they want to make "GTA: Zero Punctuation".

Others see a "ZP invaders", or Asteroids, or friggin ZP chess.

GeEom

May 13, 2009
augustlilleaas said:
Spinwhiz said:
That's what we chose for our first contest in this manner. Perhaps in the next one we'll widen the scope a bit.
It's self evident that you chose that scope. I'm interested in knowing why you chose that scope, though.
seconded
realy been hoping for an escapist game contest, and to see that its ZP was a godsend, but upon reading its 'flashy' intent I could not even be cheered by the two ZP vids i missed on hols
:'(

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
augustlilleaas said:
Spinwhiz said:
That's what we chose for our first contest in this manner. Perhaps in the next one we'll widen the scope a bit.
It's self evident that you chose that scope. I'm interested in knowing why you chose that scope, though.
We found that to be the most favorable with our site build.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Mephisteus said:
scarybug said:
I understand that you're not trying to run a completely evil contest, and that this is supposed to be a fun thing. I love the Escapist and Zero Punctuation, but any serious Flash Game Developer will recognize this contest is a BAD DEAL.

You are basically getting a free video game made about ZP, and the developer of the game gets nothing. Even worse, the losers of the game end up working spec.

If you want to run a contest for browser games, let anyone enter a game they've already made, and don't claim any copyright to it expect to reproduce it on the site along with images from the game for promotional purposes. That's what IGF and PAX do.

If you want a Zero Punctuation game, pay a good development team to make one. That's what Cartoon Network and Aardman Animation do.

If you're thinking of entering this contest. Why not instead use that time to make a game that you keep the rights to and try to get a sponsor on Flash Game License or even just make some ad money using Mochi Ads? A good flash game can make thousands of dollars, but not if you give it away.
Because no one said it had to be serious, and on that same flow this is the kind of thing that does look nice on a resume if you're just starting out.

Its only a bad deal if you make it one. For me its a bad deal since I know nothing about flash, for others its a bad deal because they want to make "GTA: Zero Punctuation".

Others see a "ZP invaders", or Asteroids, or friggin ZP chess.
I think that's the point everyone seems to be missing here. It's not going to be something huge or even that great. A skilled programmer could probably make a decent little game in a short amount of time. 2 months isn't enough time for a huge project to get by. If you feel that this is a waste of time, then don't do it. It's more about the exposure than anything. I think people tend to get weirded out when someone starts speaking legalese.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
GeEom said:
scaryburg its realy not that malicious, frankly there are enough talented (though not people working in flash in my opinion) new people out there who are desperate enough to get inot the light with their skills, and for a fan, how better than through ZP?

the escapist is not the multi million and in CNs owners case now multi billion pound/dollar/simolleon earning companys that you quote, and this is not some flagship for their marketing war to become staggeringly rich, its just a comp to celebrate ZP!
Well said...so celebrate and have fun people!

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
So, since the resource kit was posted earlier today I've been spending time working backwards from a few of the images making "character resources". Individual feet, hands, bodies, heads with different expressions on them, that kind of thing. Really basic, fundamental stuff. Stuff that you would need on their own if you were to, say, animate them in Flash or something. I'm going to try and work on getting resources for the imp next after I'm done with more expressions for Yahtzee and other basic people stuff. In the meantime...

Because I really am that much of a narcissist I created myself in Yahtzee's art style, just to see how it would turn out. Overall not that bad.

Anyway, like I said I'm collecting individual resources for character animation, and if enough people show interest (and if they ask nicely) I just might upload the files together as a "pack" to save you people some leg work.

~Van

scarybug

Aug 5, 2009
Thundarbolt said:
scarybug said:
The exposure from having your game featured on a popular website based on an extremely popular series is a huge help to anyone looking to get their names out there, plus having a published game online looks great in a portfolio.
Yes, work for free in order to improve your resume and get "exposure." That's what all artists conned into working spec are told too.

Work has value, even flash game development. In the world of indie games, the cream actually does rise to the top. If you are a good game developer making a good game is enough to get noticed. Entering contests helps, but you don't have to give anything away to enter.

I totally understand this is not malicious, as I said. I don't think for a second anyone sat down and said "Let's design a contest to take advantage of our dumb community". Like I said, I get this this is a fun community thing. My point is just that you won't get any experienced game developers entering this contest because those people understand how to market their work. You'll only get people who use the contest as a way to get to know flash or programming better. You get what you pay for. That might be what you're looking for, and that's fine. Though it does help contribute to the opinion of people like "GeEom" who think that all Flash programmers are apes pounding on keyboards and aren't cool like them for knowing C++. (Which most of us do, it's just easier to self-market a flash game)

aeiowu

Aug 5, 2009
I'm totally with Scarybug on this one. This contest is much like the batman flash game contest held some months ago. A dev spends 2 months (most of our games take 2 weeks tops) and enter into the contest only to have it be rejected. This will be the case for 99% of entrants. I'm not saying boycott this thing at all, but what I'm saying here is that young/inexperienced flash developers should at least be aware of the big picture here.

Spending 2 months on a game like this and then getting nothing for it and not being allowed to do anything with your hard work after it is a _huge_ risk. It's important they're at least aware of that. Alternatively they could spend 2 months on their own game and maybe make a few hundred bucks, maybe even a few grand if it's good.

I'd prefer a bit of a different approach personally, something more like what TIGS does with their compos. They are never IP based and anyone can do whatever they want with the entries. Of course, there are no prizes, the prize is the game you made. I understand you want to make this about the ZPunc. IP, so there are some different things that need to be considered, though ultimately making it strictly about the IP kind of gives anyone who makes a game for this compo a bit of a death sentence for their entry anyway.

Nonetheless, those that are aware of theses fact sand are still interested in making the game I wish them the best of luck, i'm sure they'll have fun with it.

Falmil

Aug 5, 2009
The whole "all your game are belong to us" seems a bit off putting to me. I understand the need to protect your brand, but I don't see why developers couldn't own their code and not the ZP-related artwork/music, while giving The Escapist or whoever some rights to the whole game as well.

GeEom: There are plenty of good Flash games out there, especially if you know where to look. While you may find it hard to "sell" a Flash game, you can definitely earn some income from them. The Desktop Tower Defense guy was earning thousands of dollars a month. (http://gigaom.com/2007/05/27/desktop-tower-defense/) While there are some crappy Flash games out there, Flash is actually a powerful browser-based platform. I'm not sure why you felt the need to flame against Flash and Flash developers, but you are clearly misinformed in terms of their capabilities.

scarybug

Aug 5, 2009
Falmil said:
I understand the need to protect your brand, but I don't see why developers couldn't own their code and not the ZP-related artwork/music, while giving The Escapist or whoever some rights to the whole game as well.
Good point. An equitable solution would be to let any contest entrant keep all of their code and do whatever they wanted with the game as long as they re-skin the graphics to something not owned by Escapist/ZP.

GeEom

May 13, 2009
I get that its posible to create good games in flash, but if your talking quality you may as well work in ANY language. with the hiugh end merits of all languages pretty much equal, you have to consider the staggering level of tripe that is produced because of flashes common acsesability.
so yes i know flash is great, but for someone great the merits of flash, acsesability, are dropped by the DRM issues, the mountains of flash rubbish which indesputably does exist, and the lack of efficiency and game developer friendly functions!

so to someone making good games in flash, thats great, but on average, someone starting in game design heads for flash, and then they post the dribble they produce online before moving to more able lanugaes or giving up, so if you can already program in efficient, hyper acsessable or hyper compatable languages (delphi, python and C++ in that order) theres realy no motive to go BACK and learn flash

HENCE my lack of flash, HENCE my flash slagg of

the cream of flash is great, and very acsessable to the end user via web based play, but you cannot deny the flaws in the aplication of the language, despite any individual skill or merit.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
I don't really know enough about indie game development to enter this competition.

But, so long as the winning game features the floating head of Peter Molyneaux as a boss, then I'll be happy.

RaiDK

Apr 24, 2008
Seems kind of limited making it Flash only, and 'ZP related only', tbh.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
MaxTheReaper said:
pigeon_of_doom said:
As a non-coder, and not one enamoured of Zero Punctuation, I have little to add to this. However, disqualifying Zero Punctuation games on the grounds of it containing:
Excessive vulgarity, lewdness or profanity
seems a tad ridiculous.
Not to mention
Acts prohibited under law in any national, state or local jurisdiction in which The Escapist website may be viewed.
Don't...all videogames involve murder?
Or at least killing of some kind?
Don't hijack this thread anymore, if you want to hold a separate conversation start a new thread.

thedo12

Oct 22, 2008
just a heads up

tom fulp of newgrounds.com just gave a shoutout to this contest, there are alot of great game developers at newgrounds so expect some competition.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1090242

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Thundarbolt said:
Hey guys.

Canadian Game development student here, a few of us are wondering if we can submit an entry as a team or if the rules state that it has to be one game per person.
Yeah, they stated that you can do so. They just have to know who is in the team so they can be credited. The swag would be distributed to the team lead, and then they'd do whatever they want to in regards to the distribution of the swag.