Study Finds Girl Gamers Are Seriously Hardcore

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
SwmnNE1 said:
Aura Guardian said:
No. They are not.
My Parents don't call them Pokemans.
Any kid around for pokemon in -the 90s recalls it.
Or a least in my experience.

Speaking of my experience the only people who play MMOs that I know are my casual gaming friends.

But anyways, Girls play One game more than guys and suddenly we can make ridiculous claims?
The study has an incredibly dumb conclusion.
I don't. Never heard it until now.

Your experience=/=fact.

Maybe to you.
"LET ME SHOW YOU MY POKEMANS"

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
of course girl gamers have to be hardcore, they have big shoes to fill, lacking sufficient testosterone levels to power through epic gameage time!

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Hm... Probably because that girls tend to be bored when alone. But on Everquest? Try on other games and we'll see what happens.

Dunno if girls like the samey FPSes.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Miki91 said:
Ham_authority95 said:
I have yet to meet a girl that is a hardcore gamer like this article suggests.

(then again I don't know any girl gamers to start with)
It's the same for me... You'd think a girl gamer would meet another girl gamer that was hardcore if the survey is correct for most games, but I have not. And I count myself as a casual gamer, as gamers go at least. You could get to know me?^^

Numb1lp said:
Well, it's official, us men have nothing left.
Uhm, you still have your penises? And those aren't made of plastic or anything^^. You guys bring yourself down too much. We like you for who you are, not what you have over us ;) (tho a nice car wouldn't hurt!)
One of my exes who I introduced Quake 3 to, well she got pretty hardcore. Hardcore enough to eventually surpass me at capture the flag and give my a flogging, then rubbing it in. I of course put my tail between my legs and yelled out "I MADE YOUUUU!" in desperation.

She eventually moved away to be a graphics designer somewhere, and I lost track of her. I don't think that more women are hardcore, but I do think that when a girl is hardcore, they're dangerously hardcore.

kementari

Mar 18, 2008
I'm not sure quantifying timesink in MMOs is a good yardstick for the definition of "hardcore".

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
>Implying Ever Quest 2 is hardcore.

Oh you.jpeg

I'm sorry, but it had to come to that.

Maybe they were just really bad power levelers? Or they used the game for other reasons like just chatting to people. I'll find them to be hardcore when they do something intense, like complete all of WH 40K: Dark Crusade on Hard difficulty, with every race.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
SwmnNE1 said:
Fraught said:
I don't see your logic, sorry.
MMOs are just a step under a first person shooters on the casual gaming scale.
So... if first person shooters are the most casual (which most people would completely disagree with you with), then what is the most hardcore? Puzzle games?

I don't think MMOs are hardcore (at least not in my eyes, as I don't think they require as much skill... mostly learning what other people learn for you and not being an idiot), but from what I can tell, you're "scale" is really weird. I'm sure what you find the most hardcore I'll probably laugh at.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
I can't help but feel that if the average age is around 30, "girl" doesn't quite apply. We're gaming females, not "girls".

ryuutchi

Apr 15, 2009
THIS JUST IN, WATER IS WET.

Seriously, how was this even particularly surprising to anyone paying the remotest bit of attention?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Charli said:
Hmmm taking data off an mmo isn't too smart, Yes girls generally do kick more arse as a general statistic at them, because we play them more to chat away inssessently...

HOWEVER, the most hardcore of the hardcore skill wise both in PvP and PvE, and I'm talking the elite of the elite, 30 people in the world kind of thing, are generally male in most Mass multiplayer games.

I'm not being sexist fellow bra wearing-ladies, it's just true. WoW's top guild has about 3 girls in it as far as I am aware. The PvP teams? Hah I have rarely seen a pair of boobs sitting in one of those live competitions.

I do believe we probably invest more time... yes, but that to me isn't hardcore...
Hardcore is somthing alot more, Gamer's instincts in full prime, Knowledge about what you're supposed to do subconciously ready at any second, Multi-tasking at its best, and boundless dedication to whatever it is you might be doing.

That, to me is hardcore, not how long you're playing it.
Some of the so called MMO-hardcore guilds/teams spend less time playing each week than your average joe... No really.
I was going to post the exact same sentiment.
Logging hours is no indication of how hardcore you are but more what you do with it. I have one female in my guild and she's literally my heal/buff *****.
It's how we planned to play but without me she'd be lost and no where as progressed as she currently is.

That's not supposed to sound as "Huur get back in the kitchen" as it does but I don't believe this study is anything like accurate.
Charlies snippets also go to prove said thoughts.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
There is no such goddamn thing as a hardcore gamer you fuckwits. There are people who play games, people who don't play games, and addicts. Thats it.

I seriously wish I could go Temple of Doom on any and every dumbshit that uses that word in a non-ironic manner.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Its Everquest, so the subjects must either have weird tastes or not keep up with the gaming industry/culture that much, which must Skew the results.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Come guys we have to kick it up a notch now. We can't let them win again, I'm going to log into WoW now everone pick a game and atleast get 10 hours in tonight.

Chrysocollus

Wandering Umbrella Fiend
Sep 7, 2009
This is easy enough to explain, I think.

Women are more social creatures, which doesn't surprise anyone, I think. And using an MMO would naturally reflect the heavier social aspect of an MMO, as opposed to using single-player games or other, less social games. I, as a female, sunk a lot of time into WoW, not really playing but chatting excessively. Surprise surprise. Not to say I didn't do ANYTHING else, I just sunk so many hours into it to chat with people.

...Wait, you mean the first post explained that? Cock. Nevermind then.

Although I'm curious to find what a study would find based on more traditional single-player games...