Study Finds "Moral Learning" is Disrupted by Violent Games

Sep 8, 2008
XT inc said:
I don't see the problem here, we've been in a culture of violence as long as I have known. Growing up heroes were always the knights, the cops, the cowboys, the soldiers etc. What did they do to be so great? They blew the bad guys away, be it by gun or sword, or magic whatever.

The heroes where never portrayed as the humanitarians, no one ever wanted to pretend they were doing paperwork for a charitable organization to increase funding. No. They wanted to be the hero who killed the bad guys and saved the good guys.

Be it tv, comics, books, cartoons or games it's not the medias fault that is how people are raised, this is just the current platform to get media across. Sure the visual aspect has gotten a lot more gory and violent, but the concepts the same only now its better expressed. What kids used to do in their imagination is now done on screen.
i agree that our culture is built around romanticising violence (and fear. lots of fear, but thats a rant for another time), and the themes are far more important than the content (including how its presented. i think blatant anti-heroes are less unhealthy than violent "white knight" sorts of protagonists in a setting of black and white morality where the bad guys are icky and kick puppies while they try to destroy the world(on which they live) for no adequately explained reason and anyone who doesnt like the hero turns out to be wrong and anyone who thinks hes being to violent turns out to be evil, if theres even that much nuance).

edit: im not one of those people who thinks kids are just miniature adults who dont think about sex so much, but i do believe they fill the cultural mold around them (and that they have the potential to be a lot smarter than they generally are, but like many animals they will not outgrow their environment)

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
THIS JUST IN! RATINGS ON VIDEOGAMES ARE THERE FOR A GOOD REASON!

Why does humanity continue to study crap that is already common sense.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
They said the same thing about teenage mutant ninja turtles when I was in primary school, there was a state wide ban on playing TMNT in school. If its not games its cartoons (which are heaps less violent these days)

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Am I the only one who didn't even read the article because it has the words 'study' and 'violent games' in the title.Oh boy,this is only the ten billionth study about violent video games,I'm sure they're onto something THIS time

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Why do videogames have to put up with this? What if a study like this was conducted on films? "This just in, showing your kid 'Saw' when he's six years old is going to mess him up!"

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Funny that, I've played violent games at a young age and I'm 'morally' educated.

I guess it'd be fairer to call it disruption of gaining new and 'better' morals?

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
I am just as concerned about children with built-in moral blocks as I am concerned about children without any moral blocks.

One spawns almost certainly negative interventionism, the other spawns apathy.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
gphjr14 said:
The argument really holds no merit given that the study group is below the recommended age by the ERSB or respective game ratings. Companies put everything from "drug use" to "gambling" on the back of cases. If parents are too lazy/incompetent to read the back and properly assess whether they want their child to be exposed to that content really have no grounds to ***** when their underage child emulates what they see on TV or in a game.
Annnnd that's totally besides the point. The study is about the effects of the games, once they've been wrongfully acquired. By your reasoning, we shouldn't examine the effects of alcohol and smoking on kids, either.

LKArtillery

Mar 30, 2011
Last line a thousand times.

Video games and media don't make kids violent.

Lazy and bad parents who try to use these in place of actually raising their children make kids violent.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
damn it parents, go buy your kids a wii and get mario, problem solved.

the problem isnt what they're playing, its the parents and allowing their kids to play games intended for teens-adults.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Stop talking about parenting. This study seems to indicate that violent games often do desensitize children. Yes, bad parenting leads to exposure to these games, but that doesn't change the other fact.
I'm not saying the games should be banned or changed, but almost every post has concerned parenting, which has little relevance to the study.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
That's ridiculous, everyone knows there are consequences for their actions. That isn't even "Moral Learning", it's just fucking logic.

Cause and effect, bitches.

At least they recognised that people won't run around shooting people because they've been doing it in a video game.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Darwinism is the best thing to use to having a moral society probably. Then there is culture and parenting.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Gee, violent videogames such as Bulletstorm and Grand Theft Auto can have a negative effect on children whose age is SEVEN?
*Looks over the massive "18+" warning labels.

Uh-hu.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Ok so. We don?t know how the study was conducted and how they obtained the results. Did they get it from behavior or did they ask the children? Both of which have problems with various biases. Also there might be concerns with having children play games not rated for them. Unless they didn?t and they are asking them what games they played at home. Speaking of home life, mess of variables right there and correlation doesn?t mean causation. Allowing the children to play such games in the first place might be a symptom and one of the variables may also hold a correlation.

Why wasn?t it an even split between the gender in the study?

Why was it mostly males suffering from the ill effects? Is it the subtle differences in upbringing and expectations put on males or is it more of a genetic reason?

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
XT inc said:
I don't see the problem here, we've been in a culture of violence as long as I have known. Growing up heroes were always the knights, the cops, the cowboys, the soldiers etc. What did they do to be so great? They blew the bad guys away, be it by gun or sword, or magic whatever.

The heroes where never portrayed as the humanitarians, no one ever wanted to pretend they were doing paperwork for a charitable organization to increase funding. No. They wanted to be the hero who killed the bad guys and saved the good guys.

Be it tv, comics, books, cartoons or games it's not the medias fault that is how people are raised, this is just the current platform to get media across. Sure the visual aspect has gotten a lot more gory and violent, but the concepts the same only now its better expressed. What kids used to do in their imagination is now done on screen.
The problem is we have forgotten the primary purpose of sex was to procreate, not to have fun, so we have several "parents" who, for various reasons, have children even though they are incapable of raising them properly, allow said media and culture to raise their children, then complain and point to studies when their child acts up or does something they don't like, even though the very same studies have shown that their own lack of interest in raising the tiny sack of meat and organs beside them is a far larger culprit than the media that "turned them into such a disrespectful/violent person"

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
17+/18+ games are rated that for a reason, kids in that age range arent supposed to play those games in the first place.