Stuff You've Changed Your Mind On

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A lot of Kevin Smith films I don't find funny anymore. Especially if it involves the movies Clerks 1 & 2. Randall is just such a big asshole. Dante ain't much sympathetic either, but I wonder why he ever stuck around with him. The only one you can get me to watch nowadays is either Dogma and maybe Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back. Rick and Morty I can't stand anymore, but I think I might have mentioned that another forum.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guess Family Guy, I used to watch it all the time but I ended up fallint out with it, didn't like some of the seasons that started happening. Although now I can't even watch the old ones I liked, I find it just grating.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess Family Guy, I used to watch it all the time but I ended up fallint out with it, didn't like some of the seasons that started happening. Although now I can't even watch the old ones I liked, I find it just grating.
I can watch most of the stuff from the first 3 seasons. Anything afterward, I'm not touching.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
When I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the first time, I thought Ferris was awesome and Rooney was a jerk. Now I think they're both jerks- Ferris for being a leech on Cameron and a pretty crappy boyfriend to Sloane, and thoughtlessly pushing them both towards what he thinks they should want, and Rooney for completely overstepping the bounds of his authority just to make an example of someone. (And, y'know, for being a jerk to everyone he comes across along the way.)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can watch most of the stuff from the first 3 seasons. Anything afterward, I'm not touching.
I forget how far I got into it, I think it was the season with the bank vault episode.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The person reading this post...
Sorry, I used to like you I swear!
But things are simply not the same, you've changed, I'm afraid you're simply not cool anymore and I can't bring myself to like you again.
I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
When I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the first time, I thought Ferris was awesome and Rooney was a jerk. Now I think they're both jerks- Ferris for being a leech on Cameron and a pretty crappy boyfriend to Sloane, and thoughtlessly pushing them both towards what he thinks they should want, and Rooney for completely overstepping the bounds of his authority just to make an example of someone. (And, y'know, for being a jerk to everyone he comes across along the way.)
I think there’s a good case to be made that while Ferris’ heart is in the right place with Cameron - his observations on the poor chap are very on point - he is going about helping him in the most self-serving, egotistical way possible. Like okay, encouraging your friend to get his shit together is good. But not by pressuring him into letting you steal a functionally irreplaceable super car from his acknowledged raging asshole of a father.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Tennis. I used to think it was the most boring sport in the world, but I've actually grown to appreciate it after actually sitting down to watch it over the past couple of years (at the behest of my gf who used to play.) I'm no enthusiast or anything, but I understand the game a lot better and can actually see the strategies as they unfold during a match.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Is more a temporary thing with a videogame, but the Bloodbornes...more specifically the main soundtrack at the start menu. One lonesome stormy night, i thought it wise to practice doseage of a particular obscure disassociative/hallucinogenic to get more of an understanding of what to expect, so a careful doseage was done. This happened to be a period of making hella progress through bloodborne so it was habit to start the game up, just as the chemicals were kicking in. Only thing is it was far far more potent than i could have ever anticipated and made the intro cutscene and music the most intensely terrifying audio-visual experience in years that i had to immediately close the game and calm the fuck down with the Tearaway dynamic breezy theme on the dashboard. Lesson learned! It certainly changed how i look at that with my ears.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
High School of the Dead. I was not that into it, but I found it entertaining. Around 2015 or 2016, you couldn't get me the read or watch it. it's pretty clear that it's just another zombie fiction with tits and fan service, and not much else to stand on. Most of the characters are either generic or cardboard cutout anime cliches. All suspense is lost, when you realize the core group is never in danger once they're formed. Any new person or character they meet is going to die, but never the core group. And it's pretty clear that the story had no direction to go in, and the writer was just flying by the seat of his pants. It is sad, because the creator of HOTD died in 2017. The good news is that there's a backup artist. The bad news is is that the backup artist does not feel like working on High School of the Dead. So that indefinite hiatus, might as well just say fuck you, it's canceled.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DmC (2013) - Went from hating the game with righteous passion and fury, to liking it enough. The fact the game was a lesser version of DMC4 and Bayonetta did not help. The Definitive Edition fixed most of the game play issues I had with the vanilla version and added extra modes. I got the DE version in mid 2016 after looking at some combo videos from Cheeb and XLHGladiator.The story and characters are still shit though. I can tolerate DmC!Dante now, but I still don't like him. The only characters I liked are Kat, Phineas, and Bob Barbas (who is just an eviler Bill O' Riley). With DMC5 out for 2 years now, my hatred has all ceased. The marketing and Ninja Theory/Tameem still fucked up by insulting their target audience. A fact that will never change.

@happyninja42, I do recommend the DE version, if you ever decide to play it. The game is not too complicated nor will it over whelm you with a lot of weapons. There is a good amount of them: 6 melee, and 3 ranged. You get a bad ass axe and scythe as your second and third weapon respectively. The game has the right difficulty curve, and there are no QTEs to slow the combat down nor interrupt the flow.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
DmC (2013) - Went from hating the game with righteous passion and fury, to liking it enough. The fact the game was a lesser version of DMC4 and Bayonetta did not help. The Definite Edition fixed most of the game play issues I had with the vanilla version and added extra modes. I got the DE version in mid 2016 after looking at some combo videos from Cheeb and XLHGladiator.The story and characters are still shit though. I can tolerate DmC!Dante now, but I still don't like him. The only characters I liked are Kat, Phineas, and Bob Barbas (who is just an eviler Bill O' Riley). With DMC5 out for 2 years now, my hatred has all ceased. The marketing and Ninja Theory/Tameem still fucked up by insulting their target audience. A fact that will never change.
So I've gotten somewhat gotten the gist of the series thanks to Mr. Foxcade's summary videos but apparently DMC was a reboot or something and just missed the point of the series? I kinda remember Yahtzee ragging on it too because Dante became an edgy 9 year old(among other things).

And when you say your hatred has ceased since DMC5 is that because DMC5 went back to what the series was supposed to be? Or DMC5 made it look better into retrospect? Just curious.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I've gotten somewhat gotten the gist of the series thanks to Mr. Foxcade's summary videos but apparently DMC was a reboot or something and just missed the point of the series?
Yes. The reboot turned "alternate universe" missed the entire point of the series and Dante. What did not help that this was the era of Japanaphobia from mostly Western critics. During time when most Japanese companies thought the only way to succeed was to be more like Western AAA companies or outsource to them. A majority of them failures or failed. Thank God most learn their lessons, Capcom especially, and stuck to their Japanese roots. The other problem being that DmC was just a weak sauce remake of DMC3 and DMC1.

And when you say your hatred has ceased since DMC5 is that because DMC5 went back to what the series was supposed to be? Or DMC5 made it look better into retrospect? Just curious.
Because the series went back to what it was supposed to be. DmC can't hold a candle to 3, 4, and now 5 in terms of gameplay, but in retrospect, is better than most Western hack n slash games and certain Japanese games too. DMC5 did pull plenty of DmC references, but either does something more interesting with them or to better effect.
The only thing DmC does better than most of the Devil May Cry games is soundtrack variety and level variety. Though with Chombachrist and Nosia doing the soundtrack for DmC, it does make the game stuck in the early 2010s. I love DMC5, though the level design can feel too samey; especially towards the end. Ruined city, demonic tree anal womb, or both. Hopefully, the series can go have you take trips back in to hell again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I love DMC5, though the level design can feel too samey; especially towards the end. Ruined city, demonic tree anal womb, or both. Hopefully, the series can go have you take trips back in to hell again.
I want everyone to take a moment, sit back, and contemplate the idea that DEMONIC TREE ANAL WOMB is "samey" for a video game map. xD That's just, so bizarre.

"Ok Steve, so just take a left at the third...no...the fourth demonic tree anal womb, and then head straight until you spot the vagina dentata with spider legs."

"Wait, I thought the Piggly Wiggly was on the other side of town?"

"Oh, shit right, sorry, I was thinking of the All-Night Laundromat. Go RIGHT at the demonic tree anal womb, and then LEFT at the festering well of child's souls, howling for eternity."

"Got it."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I want everyone to take a moment, sit back, and contemplate the idea that DEMONIC TREE ANAL WOMB is "samey" for a video game map. xD That's just, so bizarre.
Your joke made me laugh, but it's true. Compared to the environmental designs of past games and even DmC, they had more unique or iconic settings. Hell, the womb levels did not even show up until near the very end in DMC1, 2, in the middle of 3, and the end of 4. 1 in you're in a castle on an island for most of the game, in 3 your in a demonic gothic tower, and in 4, you're in a Italian/Spanish inspired city.

Reactions: happyninja42

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
One of the big things I've changed my mind on over the past few years is that of subs vs. dubs. When I was younger, I felt like watching anime in the original Japanese with subtitles was the way to go unless I had literally no other option. However, I've slowly found myself watching more and more anime dubbed because, quite frankly, it can be easy to miss visual details if I'm focusing on the bottom third of the screen, and a lot of anime dubs are actually quite good (especially Funimation dubs). There are still some anime that I watch with subtitles, but I've found myself far more relaxed on the "subtitles are always the superior option" stance.

Also, Christopher Sabat will always be the true voice of All Might for me.

Reactions: BrawlMan