Super straight on tiktok

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Okay, so I listened to 10 minutes of it and they just won't get to the point. Can you give a summary of what it is they're saying.
It is a long video, so I can understand that, I can try, I didn't bother at the time since I was working, but I am pretty bad at communicating in general so I can't promise it will have much coherence since I tend to be horribly long winded and meandering and that was the main point of using someone else's words, it's also relevant to mention this is more based on what she's saying than my actual opinions and while it has nothing to do with the super straight movement as the video is a year old by now.

Anyways part of the video is criticizing the notion of "passing" which is a word used to describe if a trans person looks like the gender they identify as, by which I mean the idea of looking like a man or a woman, mostly exists to judge binary trans people's looks and it's an idea perpetuated by both cis people arguing of what looks like whatever and trans people trying to make sure they look like what they want to look, and poses the question if trans people genuinely want to look exactly like a stereotypical version of the gender they identify as or if perhaps they do it for other outside factors, like for example how she felt obligated to exaggerate her femininity to her doctor to make sure she would get the diagnosis she wanted and how she had to tell him she wanted absolutely everything needed to transition (Hormone Replacement Therapy, Gender Reassignment Surgery, Voice Training or Voice Surgery, etc), and without actually thinking if she truly wanted every single one of those things she just said so, because it was the only way to get the diagnosis and since there was no other option and she was sure she was a woman she just didn't think about it and since some of the procedures are kinda scary mainly the one you're probably guessing and the one where they literally cut your throat she's now doubtful she wants all of them and she didn't get a chance to think it over since she was pressured to agree with all of them, it's also important to mention that she was already an adult when she started transitioning and she still had to deal with that, specifically because of this idea of passing.
Basically she's saying people are being pressured to pass more than it's necessary and that can be harmful and very unhealthy as it creates a very big obsession with looks within the trans community, this isn't mentioned in the video but it's probably why eating disorders are very common among trans people, she also mentions how standards have changed over time and how when she was younger she convincingly passed to people, they didn't question that she was a woman even with the husky voice and lacking make-up skills but as time passed despite her improving on that regard and becoming more visibly feminine she actually became more obviously trans, since the now huge awareness of trans people has changed the standards of what it means to look feminine and since people are looking for it now due to the voice and her facial bone structure people identify her as a transwoman more easily, this is relevant because of two things, one of the reasons trans people care so much about this notion of passing is safety, if you convincingly look like your gender your less likely to be harassed for being trans, and the other is that this weird obsession with trans-ness actually has negative consequences on cis-women as some that tend to be more tomboy-ish or butch are actually getting denied access to bathrooms in countries where it's restricted under the assumption that they are transwomen and therefore illegal for them to enter.

She mentions a lot more other things, after all the video is 50 minutes long, but I think those are probably the most important points she touches, she also doesn't really offer a solution, she just states that the notion of passing is bad and harmful socially but also scientifically useful and she also still wants to pass despite that, so basically she doesn't know what to do, it's more or less just offering the perspective of a trans person in this discussion that comes up actually very often.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't even like tiktok, but fuck those assholes. They clearly have nothing better to do with their pathetic lives. Get laid assholes.
They cant get laid bro. That is why they are on tik tok.

Okay im old so can someone tell me what a tiktok is?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Okay im old so can someone tell me what a tiktok is?
It's a social media platform all about sharing short videos. You remember Vine? Tiktok is kind of a 2.0 version of that, but whereas Vine never took off, Tiktok for some reason got really big with the young'uns.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's a social media platform all about sharing short videos. You remember Vine? Tiktok is kind of a 2.0 version of that, but whereas Vine never took off, Tiktok for some reason got really big with the young'uns.
Holy shit i do remember vine! Those Paul brother's was funny. I wonder what ever happened to them.

Anyway what's this about super straight?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh....so what? Everyone has a type, since when was there something wrong with that?
They're the typical (wannabe )dude bro, alpha/sigma males that have prove their straightness to a highly obnoxious degree while putting other down or make them feel bad for being different. That's the main problem.

They cant get laid bro. That is why they are on tik tok.
Tiktok is not a 100% gurantee to get laid. Try being decent human beings you fuck nuts!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They're the typical (wannabe )dude bro, alpha/sigma males that have prove their straightness to a highly obnoxious degree while putting other down or make them feel bad for being different. That's the main problem.
I dont think this is a unique problem to the straight dudes. Ive seen many twitter, youtube, articles about how everyone should be gay or trans and if your arent just are just shitbags.

So...i mean neither side is particularly great and make a bad name for all their "peers". I dunno if this is something that should be upsetting to anybody other than the cringe involved.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ive seen many twitter, youtube, articles about how everyone should be gay or trans and if your arent just are just shitbags.
That's first time I heard about any of this on the gay/trans end. This is not directed towards you, but I don't obsessively follow all of the dumb shit on these media sites for a good reason.

So...i mean neither side is particularly great and make a bad name for all their "peers". I dunno if this is something that should be upsetting to anybody other than the cringe involved.
It's not that upsetting, but I wish people of that type would stop and shut the fuck up. No one cares about your oversized ego aside from the few that act exactly like you.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's first time I heard about any of this on the gay/trans end. This is not directed towards you, but I don't obsessively follow all of the dumb shit on these media sites for a good reason.
I follow a lot of people. I like to follow people i disagree with to at least hear out arguments I don't agree with. So through youtube rabbit holes sometimes I'll get led to some wild shit. But on the flip side, sometimes I find stuff I really like, so it works out sometimes.

But yeah I've seen basically this Super straight thing on the other side as well. Just goes to show you than sexuality does not make you immune to being tacky.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I follow a lot of people. I like to follow people i disagree with to at least hear out arguments I don't agree with. So through youtube rabbit holes sometimes I'll get led to some wild shit. But on the flip side, sometimes I find stuff I really like, so it works out sometimes.
I don't have the time nor patience for most of that anymore. That patience wore off for me when I was about 21/22.

But yeah I've seen basically this Super straight thing on the other side as well. Just goes to show you than sexuality does not make you immune to being tacky.
Agreed.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't have the time nor patience for most of that anymore. That patience wore off for me when I was about 21/22.
I understand. But i get really fucking bored at work. You don't even understand the rabbit holes I've been under.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Ive seen many twitter, youtube, articles about how everyone should be gay or trans and if your arent just are just shitbags.
Yes, but how many people have been, for instance, dragged to death behind a pickup truck for being straight? Let's keep perspective.

But i get really fucking bored at work. You don't even understand the rabbit holes I've been under.
You know what they say about staring into the abyss.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yes, but how many people have been, for instance, dragged to death behind a pickup truck for being straight? Let's keep perspective.
What does that even mean? People need to be ashamed of being straight now?

Imagine not being able to be proud of who you are because someone who shared some superficial thing with you did something bad.

Should be count all the heinous shit famous LBGT people have done and therefore those people shouldn't be proud of themselves?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
What does that even mean? People need to be ashamed of being straight now?
For goodness' sake, obviously nobody is saying that. The point is that the scale of the problem is blatantly worse on one side than the other. You've got... a few nobodies online saying (undoubtedly unseriously) that everyone should be gay. Gay people get... you know, decades of actual denigration, parental disownment, abusive "therapies", and violence.

I think Rogue's point is that there's a failure of perspective somewhere if you're in here complaining that some knob online said some stupid thing once.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For goodness' sake, obviously nobody is saying that. The point is that the scale of the problem is blatantly worse on one side than the other. You've got... a few nobodies online saying (undoubtedly unseriously) that everyone should be gay. Gay people get... you know, decades of actual denigration, parental disownment, abusive "therapies", and violence.

I think Rogue's point is that there's a failure of perspective somewhere if you're in here complaining that some knob online said some stupid thing once.
What perspective is there to have? If those things that the gay community have "suffered" through means that nobody else can be proud of who they are online then they too must look upon their own community and chastise for their own actions as well.

It would be like saying that Ocktoberfest should be cancelled because Germans shouldnt be allowed to celebrate their heritage considering...well you know the nazi thing.

The actions of the few do not negate the whole.

Let people enjoy who they are so long as it doesnt harm others. These super straight kids on the tikker tokker might be douchebags but they aint harming nobody by doing this so 🤷.