Swatter Arrested, Could Face Five Years in Prison

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Barbas said:
J Tyran said:
I know, and I agree that he should face punishment for what he did. He was selfish and stupid and if he didn't end up causing someone's death then he's been damn lucky. Better if he hadn't done the crime, obviously, but the idea of a 19 year old going to prison is still a sad one to me. I suppose the issue to me isn't the punishment itself but the prison system.
The reason he has to get hit so hard is because the crime is so difficult to find and prosecute - they have to come down hard on him to scare those they have little hope of catching straight. This isn't about stopping him from committing crimes - it's about dissuading others from following him.

Aug 12, 2013
Risingblade said:
BakaSmurf said:
Risingblade said:
Carrots_macduff said:
it depresses me when people are happy to see a kid go to jail, no matter what they did.

not saying he doesnt deserve it, but if you must send a 19 year old to prison, it should be done reluctantly, not with a smile on your face. plus, if you think its going to make him a better person, youre probably wrong.
Hopefully it's a minimum security prison, poor kid is probably going to be molested.
Poor kid? Poor KID?

You jest, surely you jest! This sociopath not only attempted pre-meditated murder via police of several individuals for his own personal enjoyment, he has also committed identity theft of at least two persons, and in at least one case contacted them afterwords, and threatened to use this information he had acquired to bankrupt his victim's father as well as the victim themselves just because. These are not the actions of a 14 year old making empty threats over Xbox LIVE to another 14 year old and being punished severely and unnecessarily for it, these are the actions of a man with so few personal morals that he's all too willing to destroy the lives of people he has in all likelihood never met simply because he can.

I pray that you both simply didn't read through the entire article as opposed to actually believing that this grown-ass adult man that has flat-out terrorized several people in the past for his own personal enjoyment is a "kid," and by definition should receive a lax sentence for his multiple, sociopathic crimes that frankly he should be serving at the very least a life sentence for.
I'm not saying he should receive a light sentence. I just feel sorry for anyone that young going to prison.
In this case, I got one word for you: DON'T.

Look, I wish that as an American, our prison system was a LOT better (I know it's a damn mess), but here in the US you are legally an adult at 18, and this nutball could have gotten someone KILLED. That is a very serious offence and IMHO he should be charged with attempted murder. I don't see any difference between what this maniac did with a computer and what someone could do with a weapon they own. The only difference is that this sicko used a PC and tried to get the SWAT Team to do a deed.

And what happens when this stunt gets someone killed (and it's only a matter of time) do you think US lawmakers will reign in the police and SWAT teams or give them more money to make sure that it won't happen again or is it more likely that we will be fighting Censor War 2.0 and this time we will have a lot harder time to make our case when we have morons like this jackass pulling stunts that endanger the public?

Yeah it sucks to be in his shoes but as a gamer I want to see this jackass tossed into prison and they can throw away the key for all I care. It's shit like this makes me ashamed to be a gamer.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I actually met this guy on steam a couple months ago, called him out for being a dick and he DDOSed me. Guess he got what was coming to him heheh. Hope he gets max sentence such scum of society.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Scow2 said:
Barbas said:
J Tyran said:
I know, and I agree that he should face punishment for what he did. He was selfish and stupid and if he didn't end up causing someone's death then he's been damn lucky. Better if he hadn't done the crime, obviously, but the idea of a 19 year old going to prison is still a sad one to me. I suppose the issue to me isn't the punishment itself but the prison system.
The reason he has to get hit so hard is because the crime is so difficult to find and prosecute - they have to come down hard on him to scare those they have little hope of catching straight. This isn't about stopping him from committing crimes - it's about dissuading others from following him.
As much as I agree with the possible sentencing, your reasoning is unjust. Over punishing someone to "make an example of them" is by definition unfair to the perpetrator. Using this man as a proxy to punish all "swatters" goes against the very nature of justice, you are punishing him for crimes you admit he did not do.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Darkmantle said:
Scow2 said:
Barbas said:
J Tyran said:
As much as I agree with the possible sentencing, your reasoning is unjust. Over punishing someone to "make an example of them" is by definition unfair to the perpetrator. Using this man as a proxy to punish all "swatters" goes against the very nature of justice, you are punishing him for crimes you admit he did not do.
Except he DID commit the crime - if he hadn't, he wouldn't be one to make an example of. And, there are no mitigating factors to this crime - he hurt at least one innocent person (Is it fair to them that they had to suffer a SWAT raid?), and there is no 'necessity' behind this crime, or 'passion' motivating it.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Scow2 said:
Darkmantle said:
Scow2 said:
Barbas said:
J Tyran said:
Except he DID commit the crime - if he hadn't, he wouldn't be one to make an example of. And, there are no mitigating factors to this crime - he hurt at least one innocent person (Is it fair to them that they had to suffer a SWAT raid?), and there is no 'necessity' behind this crime, or 'passion' motivating it.
Yes, he committed the crime, but he did not commit all the crimes. You are punishing him for the crimes others have committed by "making an example of him", which is unjust.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Darkmantle said:
Scow2 said:
Darkmantle said:
Scow2 said:
Barbas said:
J Tyran said:
Yes, he committed the crime, but he did not commit all the crimes. You are punishing him for the crimes others have committed by "making an example of him", which is unjust.
He doesn't need to commit all the crimes. The punishment for the crime he did commit needs to be serious enough to dissuade others from following him. And, because it is a purely spite-driven crime, there's no excuse for leniency/inevitability.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm glad that these "swatters" are being found and put to justice for their bullshit. While I wasn't "swatted" in the sense described here, I did have my front door kicked in and turned around to see a gun barrel in my face with screams to drop to the ground from a swat team before. It's fucking traumatizing, and it took years for me to not have a phobia of police in general afterwards. I literally thought I was about to die and had no clue why it was happening. Trolling is one thing, and apparently an annoyance that we must deal with indefinitely, but bringing that kind of thing on someone is not in any way funny and you'd have to be pretty fucking sadistic/antisocial/off your meds to think that this is just a funny way to "fuck with someone".

*If anyone's curious, a neighbor of mine called in to complain about major drug dealing going on, but accidentally gave my address instead of the person next door. There were police cars on streets all around my house in case I was guilty and ran. Then there were the residual effects... I had to sit on my hands in cuffs for about 3 hours while the police completely destroyed my apartment, continually asking me where I was hiding all these things that I had no fucking idea about. Everything was thrown on the ground from every shelf, every video game case ripped in half, and my couch cushions were cut open. I had to move because I violated my lease by "having a police presence at the domicile" and the 3 year balance was added to my credit. At least 3 months later I got a half-hearted apology in the mail that mostly said they were "just doing their jobs"...?

This shit is not a joke, and this dude deserves exactly what's happening to him. Hopefully this deters would-be "trolls" from thinking this is a funny thing to do in the future.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Darkmantle said:
Scow2 said:
Darkmantle said:
Scow2 said:
Barbas said:
J Tyran said:
This light of a sentence though is making future people arrested for swatting think it's not that big of a deal. A harsher sentence nips that in the bud.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
This so call prank could gotten innocent people killed. I have no sympathy for this prick.

Adultism said:
I actually met this guy on steam a couple months ago, called him out for being a dick and he DDOSed me. Guess he got what was coming to him heheh. Hope he gets max sentence such scum of society.
How do you know for sure if this guy met steam was this same person?

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
This so call prank could gotten innocent people killed. I have no sympathy from this prick.

Adultism said:
How do you know for sure if this guy met steam was this same person?
Could be a different person, very possible. Though it was the same username.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Sending armed police to someone's house on charges of a violent crime? Yeah, waaaay too many ways that can end in someone getting shot. And over some dumb shit? Oh hell no.