Sweden: Piracy Is Not A Religion

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
FallenMessiah88 said:
Wicky_42 said:
FallenMessiah88 said:
When you buy a game, you buy an experience. You buy entertainment and all that the people who put god know how many resources and hours into it wants in return, is a small amount of money.

When you pirate a game, you still get the experience, but without giving something in return. Its essentially the same as sneaking into a movie theater without paying.
As I've said a couple of times above, what do you make of playing the game at a friend's house? Is that "stealing an experience"? Should I be arrested for all the Xbox 360 games I've played without even owning the console? Come on, you need to work out your argument a bit better.
Nope you shouldn't. People who make stuff or do stuff for a living should be payed for it. It may not be as black and white as I and some others made it out to be, but that is still a fact.
How much should they be paid for their work? How much is their product worth - how much is their experience worth?

I've put 13 hours into Magicka in a couple of weeks and it cost me £5. I've put 19 hours into Alien Swarm and it was free. Some modern AAA games have campaigns just 6 hours long and charge £40; I've only put 5 hours into Metro 2033 and don't feel like playing it again but it set me back around £15.

So, how much should I pay for my games? Evidently the prices charged don't reflect the use I get from them, and experience is subjective and can vary from person to person, from hour to hour, and therein lies the problem. If the product itself is free to reproduce, all you are paying is what the creators (or publisher or whoever) want, what they think it's worth, what they budgeted for. It's not uncommon for them to be wrong, to make mistakes. The current system isn't the be-all, end-all, and to demonise dissent is not a constructive way of continuing discussion on the subject, especially when your first argument is full of fail.

Swedmarine

Mar 15, 2011
Wicky_42 said:
The Random One said:
Yeah, but even if you share files because of your religious belief you're still going to jail, the same way you're still going to jail if you kill someone under the orders of Odin.
Or if you molest children before Christ. Oh no, that one's ok actually. Huh.
Would you please refer me to what place in the Bible, or other holy scripture, it says that's part of the religion? I fear that what you've found is something made up by the individual and not the religion itself.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Akalabeth said:
lunncal said:
At what point does it become right that religious people are treated differently by law to regular people? They have the right to not report illegal activity, regular people do not, this is wrong.
People are treated differently under the law all the time.
It's the way of things, that's why there's:
Attorney-Client Privileges
Physician-Patient Privileges
Priest-Penitent Privileges
Psychotherapist-Patient Privileges
Husband-Wife Privileges

So should these ALL be abolished? Or just the priest-penitent?
Should information you tell your doctor be readily available to your insurance company without your consent and so forth?
I have 3 issues. Firstly, that the different sets of privileges are not currently not equal (with the priest's tending to be enforced much more, at least in the United States).

In the United States, the Federal Rules of Evidence do not recognize doctor-patient privilege. (They do exist of-course, but they are decided in each individual state, and vary greatly.)

All fifty states, the District of Columbia, and the federal government have enacted statutory privileges providing that at least some communications between clergyman and parishioners are privileged.

Secondly, Physicians, Attorneys and Therapists are all monitored by the government, and have to have passed various tests in order to practice. If they are found to be abusing their privileges, their licenses are revoked. There are no restrictions on who can become a priest except from the religious body they belong to, since these religious bodies all have wildly different rules with respect to this, anyone could become a priest, and anyone could therefore gain the privileges.

Finally, yes, I think they should all be abolished. If the government (I don't know why you brought up insurance companies, they were never affected by this) requires knowledge of what someone has told you, your profession should not affect whether or not you can give it (Of course that part of my argument at least is very debatable).

Akalabeth said:
The law should be clear and absolute, and it should not treat people differently based on their religious beliefs. These exemptions are neither, and I think they should have been removed a long time ago.
Yes, but unfortunately this thing we call life is complex and the law by extension is suitably complex as well. Nothing is going to change that.
Life is complex, as is law, but this doesn't mean it has to be unclear. The law is one thing that must be kept absolutely consistent with its results, and personal opinion should be kept out of it as much as physically possible in order to prevent it from being manipulated.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Wicky_42 said:
How do you approach playing a game at a friend's house? Or borrowing a movie or book from a friend? Or a library? There are plenty of ways to experience a creative product without even the idea of paying for it emerging. Heck, I've completed Armoured Core 4, Halo 3 and Reach and I don't even own an Xbox, would you have me turn up to my local store with a big back of cash and purchase all of those items just because "I'd experienced a product without buying it"? Bullshit. You need to think a bit more deeply and not just assume that laws are made on moral grounds. There are strong arguments you can use but the one above is not one of those.
In the case of the library, I believe they do pay a large copyright licence for their material, to make up for the free distribution of the materials. As for borrowing stuff, I do that all the time, heck some games even encourage it with splitcreen and co-op. But I suppose you only get that chance when at your friends house, and if he gave you a game, then he has to forfeit his ability to play it. There is still only one game or one movie knocking about, but with piracy there are unlimited extra copies being produced. All the games that you have played without an xbox, you can't replay them now, you can't relive the experience, and if you were to go to your friends and play it then you would have to take away your friends ability to play it at the same time. Truth be told sharing games among friends does hurt developers and they do not like it, but there is no possible way of enforcing a law to make it illegal, so they begrudgingly accept it. Piracy is a much greater problem, big enough to seriously damage sales and severly cut into the profit margins of a company.
Regarding libraries, do you really think they have sufficient funding to cover large fees on every single book they stock, or do you think that they are legally allowed to loan books for free once they have purchased them? I'm thinking it's the latter. Though I must admit to not knowing the status on DVDs, CDs and game loans.

Regarding the bold bit, what you were initially saying was that what they were selling was the experience, not a single license to use a piece of software. I've finished those games, I don't want to buy them partially because I've already experienced the bulk of their content, just as I would probably not buy a book I'd read through in a Library. The only difference experience-wise of distribution of digital copies online and playing through a game at a friend's is the scale; at the end of the day you're still getting the experience for free. If you want to talk about individual licenses, allowing only one person to experience the content at a time then that's a different thing, but at the end of the day the producer of the content is still only being paid the once for however many people view the content, which again violates your initial standpoint of "Everyone who experiences pays". See, in isolation that statement makes sense, but once you start thinking about how you expect to be able to use your entertainment issues start cropping up, and once copies cost nothing to make the only thing you hold up is the moral idea of an intrinsic value created by someone spending time on what is essentially a long list of 1s and 0s.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Swedmarine said:
Wicky_42 said:
The Random One said:
Yeah, but even if you share files because of your religious belief you're still going to jail, the same way you're still going to jail if you kill someone under the orders of Odin.
Or if you molest children before Christ. Oh no, that one's ok actually. Huh.
Would you please refer me to what place in the Bible, or other holy scripture, it says that's part of the religion? I fear that what you've found is something made up by the individual and not the religion itself.
Oh, I'm not talking about scripture, I'm talking about real life circumvention of the law using religion as a shield.

Swedmarine

Mar 15, 2011
Wicky_42 said:
Swedmarine said:
Oh, I'm not talking about scripture, I'm talking about real life circumvention of the law using religion as a shield.
I will admit to not being well-read on these molestations and the legal bits surrounding them. In what way are the molesters protected?

Also, please call it something else than "molest children before Christ." It makes it sound like you believe it's actually a part of the Christian religion.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
dogstile said:
Danik93 said:
Well.... Piracy is Illegal and I assume the files they where copying were copyright protected. and a religion that is about something illegal should not be allowed. The same reason why practicing old norse rituals are illegal (atleast the ones with human sacrifice)
Last I checked, piracy was legal in Sweden. Copyright means nothing in other country's, which is why Valve can't do anything about the TF2 ripoff being developed in china.
first off, piracy is and has been illegal since like the 90's and Sweden is in a copyright agreement with the majority of the western world so if I try to make an obvious TF2 ripoff valve can sue me, or just take the servers down or something in that fashion.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
Leviano said:
Danik93 said:
Well.... Piracy is Illegal and I assume the files they where copying were copyright protected. and a religion that is about something illegal should not be allowed. The same reason why practicing old norse rituals are illegal (atleast the ones with human sacrifice)
Christianity involves paedophilia. Shall we stop them too?
Excuse me? I don't think a regular Sunday service contains child molesting...

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I wish them well in getting to full status, and you know helping with peace, love, and grog.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
Nabirius said:
Danik93 said:
Yeah but the US government has allowed some native American tribes to continue using illegal hallucinogenics like peyote. I get that this is Sweden where it is illegal to chew gum in public but seriously.
That would never, ever happen in Sweden. You know why? Sweden is one of the least religious country in the world. if the government would pass anything remotely like that those politicians that supported it could kiss their career goodbye.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
FallenMessiah88 said:
Wicky_42 said:
FallenMessiah88 said:
When you buy a game, you buy an experience. You buy entertainment and all that the people who put god know how many resources and hours into it wants in return, is a small amount of money.

When you pirate a game, you still get the experience, but without giving something in return. Its essentially the same as sneaking into a movie theater without paying.
As I've said a couple of times above, what do you make of playing the game at a friend's house? Is that "stealing an experience"? Should I be arrested for all the Xbox 360 games I've played without even owning the console? Come on, you need to work out your argument a bit better.
Nope you shouldn't. People who make stuff or do stuff for a living should be payed for it. It may not be as black and white as I and some others made it out to be, but that is still a fact.
How much should they be paid for their work? How much is their product worth - how much is their experience worth?

I've put 13 hours into Magicka in a couple of weeks and it cost me £5. I've put 19 hours into Alien Swarm and it was free. Some modern AAA games have campaigns just 6 hours long and charge £40; I've only put 5 hours into Metro 2033 and don't feel like playing it again but it set me back around £15.

So, how much should I pay for my games? Evidently the prices charged don't reflect the use I get from them, and experience is subjective and can vary from person to person, from hour to hour, and therein lies the problem. If the product itself is free to reproduce, all you are paying is what the creators (or publisher or whoever) want, what they think it's worth, what they budgeted for. It's not uncommon for them to be wrong, to make mistakes. The current system isn't the be-all, end-all, and to demonise dissent is not a constructive way of continuing discussion on the subject, especially when your first argument is full of fail.
Well no, the current price system is not in any way ideal. I too believe that games today are overpriced and that it should be tweaked in some way. However I will say that a games worth isn't exactly determined by how many hours you can put into it. I would gladly pay "full price" for a game thats only say 4 hours long if those 4 hours were some of the best I've ever spent with a video game. However, that is of course just all my personal opinon and like you yourself stated, experience is subjective. Some people might be perfectly happy with a 4 hour long game, while others won't.

However, this is not about how much a company should charge for their products. Its about the principle that if you make something and you put a lot of work into it, people should pay you if they want to try it out.

I agree that the whole "playing it at a friends house" argument does somewhat nullify that argument, but are you really going to tell me that companies should just give away all their products for free, because I don't think that is going to be a viable business model in what is, essientially, a business.

So yeah, I agree that the current system does have it flaws. However, to demonise the opposition is not a constructive way of continuing discussion on the subject, especially when you're so quick to make assumptions about people you don't even know.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Im am so strongly against pirates I made my brother buy all the games that he priated when I didn't notice I hope these people are trolling

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Danik93 said:
dogstile said:
Danik93 said:
Last I checked, piracy was legal in Sweden. Copyright means nothing in other country's, which is why Valve can't do anything about the TF2 ripoff being developed in china.
first off, piracy is and has been illegal since like the 90's and Sweden is in a copyright agreement with the majority of the western world so if I try to make an obvious TF2 ripoff valve can sue me, or just take the servers down or something in that fashion.
Sweden doesn't have a law against piracy. Argue all you want, you can't argue that point.

(also, escapist, please dear god get rid of these solvemedia things, the old way was fine)

Aug 17, 2009
Mad Stalin said:
this isnt my name said:
Mad Stalin said:
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
Yep. The Swedish Government should also legalize cults which wish to perform ritual human sacrifice. Just because a criminal act is "part of your religion" doesn't make it not criminal.
Yea, murdering defenseless people and sharing information is the same thing, just like pushing someone in the pool and running them over with a train.

But it's all a-ok as long as we get to buy more poor quality shit forking over our money to people who don't need it.
Do you need games ? No. Then you dont have to buy them. If you hate them, dont buy them.
People need it, in case you nt know, devs are normal people, with families, bills and they need to eat and drink.
Hm, what did that COD machine(actually forgot the name, but they made the 4th) dev get? wasn't it like 12mil or so each? I mean c'mon

So it's alright to steal if the person you're stealing from is wealthier than you? What kind of amoral, idiotic, selfish, near-sighted, hypocritical, ignorant, and socially damaging philosophy were you raised on? Western nations institute laws limiting the rights of Muslims and Romani peoples, but you choose to defend theft by saying that making money from your product is grounds to have it illegally duplicated and "Shared"?

robincb

Apr 23, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
What we have is essientaly the power to make somthing out of nothing. It takes 0 raw materials to make a digital book, movie, game, etc.
I'm afraid quite a bit of time and money goes into creating these things. A development team for a game or an author for a book have their own bills to pay. You yourself know this:

At the same time, I undertsand that people put their time and money into these things, and they lose their sales like this.
Stealing, is stealing amigo. If you make a digital copy of something that's one less copy sold. I can understand stealing food, or clothes, but entertainment?
Not quite, you see, a lot of pirates nowadays truly don't buy games anymore, they only download, meaning that if they were never planning to buy it the one less copy sold argument is invalid since they weren't ging to buy it anyways. therefore the developers lose no money since they would never have gained the money even if the download was somehow prevented.

It's a very complicated issue, one i cannot quite form a definite opinion on

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
I lol'd

I guess they be trolling.
Well I bloody hope thats what they are doing.
Trolling in Scandinavia is risky business, after all they have a long tradition of troll hunting.