Tap water , do you drink it?

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Absolutely. Tap water in New Zealand is very clean. Some places may have a slightly mineral taste if they get theirs from underground but here in Auckland it is all rainwater collected in various dams on the city outskirts.
Here is a water quality report from last year. [http://www.watercare.co.nz/SiteCollectionDocuments/AllPDFs/Publications/2011-2012_Annual_Water_Quality_Report.pdf]
I can't tell much from it apart from an apparent lack of many things they test for. I do know there is a very low concentration of sulphates which means I need to add some to the water I use for brewing when I want to give that hop bitterness a boost.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Florida; I hate tap water. I find it to have a slimy unpleasant taste. My father taught me to use a ton of ice to numb my tongue to resist the flavor but it doesn't help much, especially if I want the water now and the ice hasn't chilled the whole glass yet.

I live in Florida and have drank the tap water in Miami and in Tampa. I hated both equally. It got to the point that whenever I visited my fathers house I found myself getting dehydrated with an annoying dry feeling because I didn't want to drink the water. I would try to drink only soda, and then when I ran out I didn't know what to do but tried sometimes sneaking to steal some of my grandmas condensed water in the middle of the night.

In my mom's house we have a built-in reverse-osmosis filter that makes the water delicious as long as the filter is changed when it's supposed to be.

Some bottled water has a similar slimy taste too with added plastic flavoring. I don't know why they bother to bottle it, and I don't know what could drive idiots to buy it.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I live in the Netherlands and the quality of tap water is considered to be superior to bottled water. So yes. I drink it all the time.

Though on a side note- I also drank tap water when I was in Istanbul, Denmark and France and I'm still alive, so I guess there's not much of a problem there either. (Though granted; in Istanbul noone else bothered to touch the stuff)

ComandaKool

Jun 5, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Do I drink tap water? Yep. Is the water where I live considered good? Yep. I'm not a fan of bottled water. I don't think it's necessarily higher quality.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I just don't see the point in only drinking bottled water. Tap water is just as good if not better in most cases.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
My house has a very good water filter, so our tap water comes out tasting the same as bottled water in the end. Cannot drink other people's tap water though. If its not filtered, it just tastes... Bleh.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Yeah, I prefer it by far.
Bottled water tastes horrible, I don't even like putting in a bottle from the tap if I won't be drinking it in the next 10 minutes.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Bottled water is just tap water from somewhere you've never been to. I drink loads of tap water. I almost exclusively drink tap water. No filtering necessary. It's water. Why would I not?

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
I have a filter thing, so I use that. Like, fill up a jug, tip it into the filter, wait, fill bottle. It tastes better and is better, so.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
While I, for the record, despise those who employ massed plastic dispoable bottle usage...

if you live in an area with untasty water, one should use the 5 gal reusable pitcher services. In my home area, Mountain Valley water is delivered in reusable glass bottles and it is fantastic. The difference is stunning, as is the taste when not in contact with plastic.

My cat would meow incessantly every time I got water out of it, because he knew it was tasty.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
When I was in the Army, I traveled a lot. Every time I was in a new town I asked if the tap water was good. Most of the time I got a strange look and they said yes. But in Dodge City, KS they said it was 'safe' to drink (unless you had a weak immune-system). Then they recommended that I go and buy a couple gallons of drinking water.

Personally, I do not drink tap water but we have a Reverse Osmosis water filter connected to our sink. I think bottled water is overpriced, but good for emergencies.

ScorpionPrince

Sep 15, 2009
In Utrecht, Netherlands, The tap water is of excellent quality, as our water comes from the same spring as Bar le duc springwater. Dutch law states that tap water needs to be filtered much more as opposed to regular water. So our tap water ends up being better filtered, cheaper bottled water.

So yeah, life's good.

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
In the UK, I would've thought the majority of people drink just tap water, including myself. I know in a lot of American TV and when I went to America there was a lot of bottled water drinking going on, but there doesn't seem to be any issues over here.

Although the tastes vary hugely from region to region, and sometimes house to house haha.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
I try to avoid it since its full of chemicals, but if I'm out of water or something sure ill drink it.
Where do you live? I'm fairly certain in the US the only thing they definitely add is chlorine and the concentration is too small to cause health problems. Maybe also Fluoride which is actually good for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_water#Comparison_to_bottled_water

I live in Australia and the few municipalities that don't add fluoride have some of the highest rates of severe dental problems in children, comparable to third world countries. The only water I drink is tap water for reasons below.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/decay-in-nonfluoride-areas-rivals-third-world-20130831-2sxg4.html

Bottled water is so damn bad for the environment because it's so inefficient. Instead of using existing water pipes you have to package and truck water to various stores, it's sometimes even refrigerated! Not to mention all the plastic waste it produces. Also keep in mind while the plastics used to store bottled water are rated safe, that's usually only at room temperature. If you leave a bottle of water in the hot sun for half an hour compounds from the plastic can often leach into the water, these chemicals haven't been given the all clear health-wise.

If you don't like the tap water in your area please just buy a water filter. Odds are the bottled water is just tap water from another state anyway.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I drink tap water all the time. If I'm just randomly thirsty, I'll bend over and drink straight from it's stream (no I don't put my lips on the tap). I prefer the tap water in my house to any sort of bottled water. It just tastes more fresh.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Tap water is the only water I drink. My parents usually fill a bottle and put it in the fridge. Tap water here in Melbourne is considered the cleanest in the world (I think), so it's obviously normal to drink it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I only drink tap water! Best part is that there is no fluoride in it where I am from.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I prefer not to. I usually get my water from the filtered spout thing next to the sink, or the water dispenser thing on the fridge (which also cools it down) but if I like wake up in the middle of the night and am really thirsty I don't mind drinking tap water.

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
Strain42 said:
Zef Otter said:
Not in Arizona. Water is hard and have a nasty chemical taste. Thought about getting a filter pitcher but I dunno if it helps or not.
I used to live in an area that did have really bad tap water, a Britta filter is a huge help. I personally recommend the pitcher over something like the direct attachment to the sink thing.

So yeah, if your tap water isn't very good, I'd consider investing in one. They're a huge help.
If you have particulate matter in your tap water, Brita sometimes won't deal with it (personally, I have hydrogen sulfide in my tap water... massive amounts of it, and it's rather unhealthy). But I found a solution for it. For bathing/showers I located a Sprite water filter from Home Depot for about $35. For drinking the stuff (which I don't do) a ZeroWater pitcher works wonders. It takes out all the particulate matter, heavy metals, hydrogen sulfide until there is exactly 0 ppm, and you're left with clean water. It's worth the $40 I paid for it. (coincidentally, I had 680 ppm of particulate matter in my water. This is a health hazard.)

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
krazykidd said:
sweetylnumb said:
krazykidd said:
My friends find me weird . Everytime i go to their homes and ask for somethinf to drink they always say water . Now while i have nothing against water in general, i will never ever drink tap water ( except in extreme cases obviously ). They say i'm difficult , especially since the tap water where i live ( montreal , Quebec )is apparently of pretty good quality . Despite that , i always prefered bottled water , than that from the tap .

So my question to you escapists is : Do you drink tap water?

And as a bonus question: Is there tap water where you love considered good
Im sorry but who the hell doesn't drink tap water? If you have enough disposal income to spend $3 every time you need a drink, all power to you, but for all us normal peasants that shits just not sustainable
Dude , it costs a total of 3$ for a 24 pack of bottled water . I don't know where you're buying your water ... But you're getting ripped off .
Yeah its pretty expensive in my country :/ but then again we are supposed to have cleanish water. Big fuss over fluoride lately