Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
remember when THAT PERSON said they wouldnt take away our games?

and you guys actually believed that? i dont want to tell you i told you so, but i told you so

btw from what i understand, only a single women dies in the story of the game, you are not forced to kill any women
One store in one country deciding not to sell one game is not "Taking away your games"

Besides, this has nothing to do with "That person" so put away your "I told you so."
now its 2 stores, inch by inch they take a mile, by this point i think theres a real threat of devs being censored in the name of "political correctness"

certainly this has nothing to do with that person, i just find it hilarious that after being assured criticisms like her's wouldnt deny us our games... we find ourselfs being denied our games, in the name of arguments like the ones she pushed foward

games like GTA5 have the right to exist and developers and distribuitors shouldnt be bullied to submission
Two stores? Pardon me if I feel like you're over reacting. I've yet to see any evidence of this happening anywhere outside of Australia. And we please stop making vague references to "Them"? We aren't dealing with the Illuminati here. And believe whatever you want, but I'm not sure why you're bringing up devs being censored in the name of political correctness when devs aren't even a PART of what is happening. It's the retailers.

If it has nothing to do with one person, then don't make vague references to "That person" You. Are. not. Being. Denied. Your. Games. Two stores in a country the size of a continent decided to not sell one game. A game that can just as easily be ordered from overseas and downloaded from online in early 2015.

You're being god damn paranoid over nothing. Besides, I would like to point out that this is Australia, which has had games being banned by the government for violence, sex and drugs for years now. This is honestly one of the most minor things regarding video games in that country that has been happening for the last five years. And you know what? Apart from Morphine in Fallout 3 being changed to Med-X, there hasn't been any changes in the way video games are looked on in the world outside of Australia in the past five years. I see very little reason for that to change now.

So chill.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Did they or anyone call for a ban of all copies of GTA V in Australia? No? Move along then, not censorship, not comparable to freaking Nazis, and you can always, I don't know, fight against it. Like, little old PC me would try and stop you dead in your tracks? Huh! I'm betting not a single person here would be against a repeal from Aussie gamers to put it back on shelves, although I'm guessing you have do something like buy it, because just saying " I want this back on shelves" isn't much when knowing the person asking won't actually buy it when they get what they want.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

and you guys actually believed that? i dont want to tell you i told you so, but i told you so

btw from what i understand, only a single women dies in the story of the game, you are not forced to kill any women
One store in one country deciding not to sell one game is not "Taking away your games"

Besides, this has nothing to do with "That person" so put away your "I told you so."
now its 2 stores, inch by inch they take a mile, by this point i think theres a real threat of devs being censored in the name of "political correctness"

certainly this has nothing to do with that person, i just find it hilarious that after being assured criticisms like her's wouldnt deny us our games... we find ourselfs being denied our games, in the name of arguments like the ones she pushed foward

games like GTA5 have the right to exist and developers and distribuitors shouldnt be bullied to submission
Two stores? Pardon me if I feel like you're over reacting. I've yet to see any evidence of this happening anywhere outside of Australia. And we please stop making vague references to "Them"? We aren't dealing with the Illuminati here. And believe whatever you want, but I'm not sure why you're bringing up devs being censored in the name of political correctness when devs aren't even a PART of what is happening. It's the retailers.

If it has nothing to do with one person, then don't make vague references to "That person" You. Are. not. Being. Denied. Your. Games. Two stores in a country the size of a continent decided to not sell one game. A game that can just as easily be ordered from overseas and downloaded from online in early 2015.

You're being god damn paranoid over nothing. Besides, I would like to point out that this is Australia, which has had games being banned by the government for violence, sex and drugs for years now. This is honestly one of the most minor things regarding video games in that country that has been happening for the last five years. And you know what? Apart from Morphine in Fallout 3 being changed to Med-X, there hasn't been any changes in the way video games are looked on in the world outside of Australia in the past five years. I see very little reason for that to change now.

So chill.
look i had this shit already happen in my country, tough for entirely different reasons, allow me to be pissed

plus is a slippery slope, if more stores follow suit, devs would be forced to eliminate certain aspects of their games, not because most of the consumers dont approve, but because of pressure from retailers which are also being pressured by these groups

that is what i think, and ive seen enough evidence of political correctness bullying to argue that is AT THE VERY LEAST, a posibility

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
one squirrel said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

It's the same ideology, the same goals and the same tactics. Virtually indistinguishable. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... you know?
That is an extremly oversimplified viewpoint. Then again half the problems with internet debates are that too many people see things in black and white.

Seriously, if you do this you're basically shooting the conversation in the foot before it even starts.

But what do I know? I'm supposed to be effing myself right now.
look king the problem is that these people see even REMOTELY "racist", "sexist" and "homophobic" games -sustained by the flimsiest of evidence- as something degenerate, something that doesnt deserve to exist, the end result will always be this

believe me if the message was make more "inclusive" game the result would be very different, instead of people signing petitions to pull games they dont like off the shelves, we would be seeing fresh artists and programmers making games in which prostitutes are invincible or something, people supporting these creators via kickstarter or something like that

if the message was "make more of this" that would be the result, but instead the message is "make less of that"
That's hyperbole if I've ever seen one. And can we please, for the love of Christ, stop all the references to "These people". It'd help if you could elaborate on who "These people" are. SJWs was a vague enough term and now with all the "These people" "Them"s and "they"s I feel like people just talking about whoever they feel like now, and it's freaking frustrating.

Question. Have you done any research into seeing if people have been doing in order to be positive in regardless to inclusiveness in gaming? Have you been looking around kickstarter to see if there are any games with inclusive characters? Because no offense, I seriously doubt it.

You know what the problem is? People have tried to be positive in the past. I've tried to be more positive in the past. I've made threads about good female characters, female characters that defied stereotypes, about games with good female characters. And you know what happened? No one gave a shit. So I don't blame people for being more negative instead of positive. It's the only way to have a conservation that people will actually pay attention to.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
Snip snippity, snip snippity, snip snip er ooooooooo
You do understand that the slippery slope argument is a fallacy right? It has no logical consistency to it. "If these two stores stop selling this one game then before you know it BAM we'll only have games where we're conditioned to love our feminazi overlords unconditionally because they're destroying our games."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

So chill.
look i had this shit already happen in my country, tough for entirely different reasons, allow me to be pissed

plus is a slippery slope, if more stores follow suit, devs would be forced to eliminate certain aspects of their games, not because most of the consumers dont approve, but because of pressure from retailers which are also being pressured by these groups

that is what i think, and ive seen enough evidence of political correctness bullying to argue that is AT THE VERY LEAST, a posibility
Then you should be able to give me some pretty hard examples instead of just making vague predictions then.

Here's the problem. That's a pretty big damn if. Two stores not selling one game could be the beginning of censorship of games. But that's just as likely as a few parks in America not allowing dogs being the start of a massive anti-dog movement. It isn't very likely. That's the problem with the slippery slope argument. It's a logical fallacy. And really, Australia is one of the smaller markets when it comes to video games. The big markets are in North America, Europe and Japan. International devs aren't going to change major parts of their games just to appeal to a vocal minority of people, half of which probably weren't even going to buy the game anyway. (Heck, I still haven't even gotten confirmation that the people who hatted this stuff were gamers.)

This. Isn't. Political correctness. Customers said they wanted a game off a shelf, a retailer complied. That isn't political correctness. That's doing what your customer wants. If you don't do that, you go under. Call it bullying if you want (It isn't) but you kind of have to do what the customer wants as a company. It's kind of your job.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
one squirrel said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

It's the same ideology, the same goals and the same tactics. Virtually indistinguishable. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... you know?
That is an extremly oversimplified viewpoint. Then again half the problems with internet debates are that too many people see things in black and white.

Seriously, if you do this you're basically shooting the conversation in the foot before it even starts.

But what do I know? I'm supposed to be effing myself right now.
look king the problem is that these people see even REMOTELY "racist", "sexist" and "homophobic" games -sustained by the flimsiest of evidence- as something degenerate, something that doesnt deserve to exist, the end result will always be this

believe me if the message was make more "inclusive" game the result would be very different, instead of people signing petitions to pull games they dont like off the shelves, we would be seeing fresh artists and programmers making games in which prostitutes are invincible or something, people supporting these creators via kickstarter or something like that

if the message was "make more of this" that would be the result, but instead the message is "make less of that"
That's hyperbole if I've ever seen one. And can we please, for the love of Christ, stop all the references to "These people". It'd help if you could elaborate on who "These people" are. SJWs was a vague enough term and now with all the "These people" "Them"s and "they"s I feel like people just talking about whoever they feel like now, and it's freaking frustrating.

Question. Have you done any research into seeing if people have been doing in order to be positive in regardless to inclusiveness in gaming? Have you been looking around kickstarter to see if there are any games with inclusive characters? Because no offense, I seriously doubt it.

You know what the problem is? People have tried to be positive in the past. I've tried to be more positive in the past. I've made threads about good female characters, female characters that defied stereotypes, about games with good female characters. And you know what happened? No one gave a shit. So I don't blame people for being more negative instead of positive. It's the only way to have a conservation that people will actually pay attention to.
alright ill be specific

these people: defenders of social justice or political correctness that will go to the extremes of considering everything even remotely racist or sexit or homophobic deplorable, they will not hesitate to use all kinds of underhanded tactics to get games shaped to their political ideals, they dont encourage the creation of more inclusive games, they simply want to censor, one way or the other, those games that according to them, are intolerant

why yes ive given it a bit of a look, see this game for instance

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138520-Aerannis-is-a-Post-Feminist-Dystopian-Metroidvania-With-a-Trans-Lead

its a shame the game got a meager $11,178 dollars but since the amount of money required was 6000 hopefully that will be enough

look overall i see gaming as constantly evolving and being more and more inclusive, there are now games with characters of pretty much any kind, but it has never been a particulary alineating space, atleast in my experience

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
That's better. Your still referring to a vocal minority at best, but at least I know what you're talking about. Like I said though, vocal minority. These people aren't as nearly as widespread as people make them out to be.

I was kind of hoping for something I don't remember being in a news article on the Escapist, not gonna lie. That doesn't imply a large amount of research went into it. Allow me to rephrase the question. Do you go out of your way to find positive feminists?

It's taking baby steps. At best. I'm hard pressed to think of any non-white, female or LGBT main characters (Main characters, not supporting ones) in the last couple of years. I can think of some, but not very many. And I barely think of anyone that falls into more than one of those categories of the ones that I can think of.

Never noticed games being alienating? Well in the experiences of plenty of other people, they have been. And they were the people who were actually being alienated. No offense, I think they've got a bit more knowledge on the concept of games being alienating than you do.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Zontar said:
Revnak said:
Pretty certain that most people say it reinforces or pushes you towards such views, not that it generates them out of thin air.
And even that assertion has no evidence supporting it in the form of peer reviewed studies.
There is evidence that games and other media can reinforce and effect emotional states. Trying to prove how they effect ideas would likely be unethical in the extreme, so I wouldn't expect such a study to exist.

I am trying to make a game? Does that help? Because, from what I've seen, most people tend not to think that. Female developers who actually go ahead and make games still get told that their opinions and efforts are worthless, and that they should just shut up, even when they are creating and coming up with solutions.
If that's the case from us (GamerGate) why are WE the ones spending hundreds of thousands on getting women into making the games they want to see made, while the same people claiming we need more women in the industry and for the industry to change attack the groups trying to make that change? If change is going to happen, it needs to be bottom up, and while we are trying to actually do that anti seems happy in trying to force a bottom down approach despite the fact it will never work.
So, once again, only you can really fix things, and the people asking you to help and who are doing things themselves are not as important. I have no doubt that the collective of progressive developers have invested more into trying to change this communtiy than work to create one game. That's not to say that that is a bad thing for your movement to have done, but effectively supporting one large kickstarter in a world full of them doesn't make you entirely unique, nor does it diminish the efforts of game developers to be less than your's.

Often the "criticism" they are calling out actually is misogyny, as the hundreds of video "takedowns" of Anita serve as excellent examples of. Much of it is far more flawed than the work it is trying to tear a new one. And given that may of these people have responded to criticism, when it actually amounts to such, I really don't buy what you're saying here.
Of all the people who have responded to her videos with videos of their own, the large majority tend to be simple deconstructions of arguments so poor most of the people who support her goals don't believe them. Name one critic of hers, no matter how logical or irrational, which she has responded to. Name one.

As for the misogyny, I'm going to have to withhold my benefit of the doubt. With that word having been rendered meaningless due to the almost turrets level misuse of it, it's on par with "privilege" for ending discussion.
I haven't watched her videos, so I can't really comment there. She did apparently take down the old video when it became clear that it was problematic.

It only works that way because so many are ignorant of the meanings of the terms. That isn't the fault of the terms, and abandoning them for your sake is arguably more condescending than just using them.

And sometimes people just bust out the same talking points because they're still true. Harassment in online games is a problem. Video Game communities are extremely exclusionary towards women and sexual minorities. Dead or Alive has awful, awful character designs.
Everyone gets harassed online, it's a result of the nature of the internet. There's nothing special about that which women and "sexual minorities" receive other then the fact that the proportion of those who have skin that's too thin to handle it is apparently much higher with them.
Yeah, people should just get a thicker fucking skin! That's the problem! Trans people, homosexuals, women, they don't need to be treated better, they need to stop being huge pussies!

Fuck, this is something my CoD addicted brother is able to notice, that the abuse experienced by women in those games is especially bad, and he isn't some high-minded SJW or anything, he's a pretty moderate dude who just plays games to avoid stress at home. He is exactly the kind of guy who's supposed to just not care about these issues and go back to just playing his games, and he sees the problem. What blinds you to it?

And if you want evidence of exclusion towards sexual minorities, look no further than this fucking site. We have plenty of blatant transphobes trying to argue that anything other than their binary concept of sex and gender is a fantasy no different than having people go around saying they're fucking dragons (in the literal sense as well).

Your comment about Dead or Alive is also a subjective one. I've never played the games, don't intent to, don't care for it. If it succeeds it succeeds, if it fails it fails, but I won't help it by buying it. It doesn't effect me and it doesn't effect anyone else. If everyone acted like that there's be a lot less complaining on the internet, but I find it unlikely that will ever happen.
Complaining. Fucking. Works. It gets shit done. Developers don't listen to the silent majority. The silent majority is always an excuse, never a cause. Always complain. Nobody will listen to complaints that aren't fucking made.

You are not entitled to a platform means that nobody has to give you one. I thought that was obvious.
Given what the platforms we use today are, no, no it was not obvious.
A forum dedicated to rape survivors does not need to humor somebody trying to say that drunk rape isn't real. Sorry, that isn't censorship, that's removing the shit from your community. If it creates some hugbox or whatever you feel like calling it, fine, but people don't have to let you into their circle, people can kick you out, and that isn't censorship. If some "burn all fags" type tried to insert themself into my circle of friends, I would go out of my way to get everybody to reject them, even if they were polite about it. A forum is just a big community, and (contextually) it has every right to kick people out for their opinions.
Ah, Reductio ad absurdum, haven't seen that one in a while. Using your logic I could say we should kick out all people who want gaming to be changed from the gaming community. After all a large number of them are only interested in making fun of us basement dwelling nerd virgins. After all you said it yourself that a big community has every right to kick people out for their opinions.
I don't do that. So I don't see how that holds.

I also fail to see how a site which is dedicated to helping rape victims would be a forum, or have a forum on it other then a simple QnA and lines of direct communication between victims and assistance. Forums are, by their very nature, places of discussion of ideas. It's why all (good) forums have an Off-Topic section, no matter how dedicated you are there's always going to talk unrelated to the issue at hand. The idea of a forum dedicated to rape survives is, in and of itself, an absurdity.
Why wouldn't such a thing exist? They have shared experiences, they feel the need to have someone, anyone to talk about this kind of stuff with. They may have a hard time talking to people in person about the issue. I know I for one have never talked to anyone about my experiences, but you can find several posts on this site about it. It's easier to talk about this stuff online. So yeah, I would totally expect such a forum to exist.

And why is that absurd when forums dedicated to Nazi's, tabletop rpg's, or furries exist? There is a similar number of people and a similar desire to discuss with others possessing some shared experience.

I can agree with the first, I have no patience for moral or intellectual cowardice, one must stand by their beliefs and one must believe in something. But they don't have to debate with you. They don't have to answer every question ever posed to them. They don't have to deal with shit. One should argue, but not with everyone. One should face questioning, but not all questioning. There is a limit to what a person should reasonably have to tolerate.
The problem with your premise is that is assumes that those making the argument ever respond at all to any criticism. As it stands, most (including nearly all of those in a prominent position) never have. People want us to treat people like Anita as academics, and even have the gull to call her one, yet she neither uses an academic format nor meets even the most liberal interpretation of what it takes to be one.
Oh why did I bring her up...

Ok, I really like an LPer, VoidBurger. She currently is constantly being questioned on Twitter and the like because of her mild feminist stances, and now spends half her twitter feed answering to people. She gets tired of it every now and then and complains about it, and is often complaining about all the GGers that show up out of the woodwork the moment she says anything about the movement. Sometimes this agravation adds up to her ignoring complaints and some "criticism." This is fair, considering she has also already shown she is quite happy to defend her ideas.

Also, just as something to show what is wrong with GG, she is the only SA LPer I see get this crap, despite the fact that many of her LP friends follow the same people and say the same stuff. They also don't happen to have a vagina. What a coincidence.

Ah, YouTube comments, the last bastion of true intellectual discussion. I have no doubt that if I had a YouTube I would shut down comments the first time I saw any shit pop up. It just isn't worth it. And I bet most people understand that. The only reason people started getting pissed about all these YouTube comments getting shut down in the first place is that it meant they didn't have a place where they could ***** and moan about bullshit anymore. Oh sure, I doubt that was the motivation for most, but that's what started it, and the rest just bought the piss poor arguments of the bitchers and moaners hook, line, and sinker. YouTube comments aren't worth the electricity necessary to generate them. I wish every channel locked their comments. The world would be a better place then.
Like all things 90% of YouTube comments are shit. That's not exclusive to YouTube comments, it's a rule which applies to all things. I've actually had some arguments in those comments that are on par with the intellectual debate I've had in my collage. They are rare, but they happen, and they usually happen in videos discussing an idea.
No, it is far more than 90% here. The use of that term is just a way to dismiss anyone's problems with a medium or whatever. YouTube's format is set up to be totally destructive to reasonable debate in the comments. It discourages lengthy debate, the upvoting system is shit in absolutely all cases, as it encourages circlejerkery, it is difficult to recognize who's talking to who in a long comment chain, etc.

And say what you will about the comment section, if it's because the person doesn't want to respond to it, they simply should ignore it. From their perspective closing it and leaving it open but without interaction leads to the same result, only with the latter actually letting people discus the issue at hand in the place most appropriate. With the way YouTube's comments work, it's easy to sift threw the garbage to the relevant comments. Plus there's the tendency to remove the like/dislike bar (something Google really needs to remove, no one should be able to shut it off). All that indicates is how many people felt strongly enough to voice approval or disapproval in the most basic means possible.

I've noticed a trend in terms of those who consistently shut off their comment sections and disable the like bar, they tend to usually either be channels dedicated to a radical religious view (typically creationism or a litrealist interpretation of a holy text) or a radical political one (such as FF). Channel's like TB's tend to be the exception, not the rule (and he also keeps the like bar active).
Matt Lees justified closing his by saying he couldn't engage with them and moderate them like he would prefer, an argument I find to be enough to dismiss that particular wretched hive. And, in most cases, I don't see how the like/dislike bar is supposed to be useful or not. If somebody is talking about something controversial, there will be more dislikes. If the video is bad, the ratio may dip a pixel or two. If it's clickbait, the bar will vary wildly (I'm talking about genuine, tits in the link, clickbait here). The last of those is the only one where the change is significant enough to notice and where you don't already know about the problem in advance, and is honestly the only place where it's useful.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Xiado said:
ryukage_sama said:
Xiado said:
Tell me again about how we don't live in a female-primary society, O horde of white knights who think that feminism is the way to act out their natural desire to protect females.
Don't be so glib. This is one store, opting to not sell one game, in one country with a population smaller that some US states. But if you are so deliberately ignorant of social norms in Western countries, fine:
Women earn less than men for doing the same quality of work at the same level as their male counterparts in virtually every profession.
Don't be so ignorant. Maybe, just maybe, women don't feel as much pressure to go into high-paying fields because they don't have to work like men do, because society will take care of them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-hoff-sommers/wage-gap_b_2073804.html

"It examined more than 50 peer-reviewed papers and concluded that the 23-cent wage gap "may be almost entirely the result of individual choices being made by both male and female workers."
Your quote is misleading. You are indirectly citing one report's interpretations, not 50. The excerpt, "may be almost entirely" is vague and doesn't communicate any of the reasoning behind it.

Assuming that the report sponsored by the US govt. is correct, that would not make my post "ignorant". The Huffington post says nothing to contradict my assertion that women earn less money. Still assuming that you are correct that a statistically significant number of women knowingly and deliberately accept less money for their work, how is that demonstrative of a "female-primary society". Women being less aggressive or driven to seek/demand higher salaries as any sort of rule is evidence that our society is still male dominated.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Lightknight said:
Signa said:
Lightknight said:
Signa said:
When did this thread change to a discussion about Gamergate? I thought we were talking about Target selling a game and whether or not they should have catered to the watchdog group.
When the game got censored, I suppose.
I guess that means I'm out then.

No one ever bothers to keep a level head when ***HASHTAG GAMERGATE*** is being thrown around.
Eh, a topic on groups of people being able to control the gaming industry to force their own sensibilities on the industry and consumers is a fairly important topic. Just because it is a problem that gamergate aligns with shouldn't dissuade you from having a legitimate discussion about the matter.

The very fact that governments dropped it due to "violence against women" rather than "violence" should be insulting to people. Feminists should see it as governments assuming that women are weaker and more in need of special protection. Humanists should see the inequality and inherent sexism in that rationale. Don't you agree? Could you try to discuss this with individuals who treat you with civility? If not, it's entirely you prerogative to stereotype the entire group and dismiss all individuals as you wish. Just remember that bigotry is defined as being intolerant of those who have different opinions from your own.
UHHHGH, why are you dragging me back!?

You are being civil, and that's what I need to see in these discussions. Too often, they are knee-jerk responses and hyperbole, which causes shouting matches over what I consider an "issue" but not a "problem."

To respond to your post directly:
a topic on groups of people being able to control the gaming industry to force their own sensibilities on the industry and consumers is a fairly important topic.
Fully agree. That's why I wanted to discuss Target and this group's actions, and not put it under the lamp of HASHTAG GAMERGATE!! (sorry, I have to write it that way now!). Putting under the HASHTAG GAMERGATE!! (Ok, it's starting to get old now) dredges up a lot of bad feelings in everyone about sexism, real or imagined, and the poor journalistic integrity we've been dealing with for years. This isn't the same as those issues. The watchdog group used violence against women as a reason to band together against GTA and Target, but I'm not fooled: they just wanted GTA off the shelves. They aren't used to have M rated games around them, and now they are making moral outrage just to get their way.

The very fact that governments dropped it due to "violence against women" rather than "violence" should be insulting to people. Feminists should see it as governments assuming that women are weaker and more in need of special protection. Humanists should see the inequality and inherent sexism in that rationale. Don't you agree? Could you try to discuss this with individuals who treat you with civility? If not, it's entirely you prerogative to stereotype the entire group and dismiss all individuals as you wish.
Wait, government? I thought it was Target that made the choice to remove it. Either way, I do agree with the censorship accusations. It obviously wasn't legal censorship, but it was voluntary censorship. They bowed to outside pressure without regard to anything other than that the pressure existed (or so I believe due to my experience working retail). Also, you're right about the nature of the violence being ignored and the implications of being insulting/sexist. That's why I try to ignore these people, and get irritated when people listen to them. They are going out of their way to find objectionable things without any regard to how their own reinterpretation undermines their position.

Just remember that bigotry is defined as being intolerant of those who have different opinions from your own.
I'm not comfortable with that definition of bigotry. Seems too broad to be spreading it out to include a person's opinion. The last thing we need is to be throwing "bigot" around for disagreeing with someone else. I hate these people that petitioned Target for being douchebags and forcing their ideals on others. I don't hate them for having a different opinion than I do. If that makes me a bigot, then this whole fight boils down to who can out-bigot the other side. Fighting Target's sale of GTA by being intolerant of those who which to buy it is bigotry, and fighting their idea of fighting Target is also bigotry. Suddenly, everyone with an opinion to defend is a bigot.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Karadalis said:
Revnak said:
And the people who say that they aren't trying to censor anything aren't fucking trying to censor anything. They really are just trying to argue that this kind of stuff is "harmful" (in that it's message is bad, it's purpose is at best non-existent, and it's effect on consumers is more likely than not largely negative) and trying to get people to realize just how bad that it is. So, who were you talking about in your original post?
And both you and the people who say such things are talking out of their rear ends without any proof. Quite the contrary actually, studies throughout the board AND the crime statistics show that there is absofuckinglutely no corelation between videogames and real life violence.

The crime rate has been constantly going DOWN and not UP since the introduction of video games... from the original wolfenstein to mortal combat never has a game EVER caused a surge in the statistics.
Yes, the real heroes of pulling down crime statistics, video games! Never mind that during the time that crime statistics started going down games were largely being marketed to children, that there was an economic upturn, that the constant stress of the Cold War was removed, that drug use plummeted, etc. No, it was video games.

You and the people who make these arguments solely make them because you feel offended by the material, because you "believe" that the others are wrong despite any lack of proof.

And THAT my friend is why people dislike SJW types. You guys will fling shit at everyone who disagrees with your made up out of thin air opinions, because anyone who doesnt "belief" is clearly the enemy of mankind.

The very fact that SJWs do exactly what religious nutjobs try to do, converting people to their beliefs, must have went straight over their heads.
I am not the type of person who is easily offended by media. I just find shit to be problematic.

I generally only fling shit that sticks.

Of course they try and convert people to their beliefs. To do anything less is moral and intellectual cowardice. To not think that you are correct, to not defend what you believe and try to convince others of its correctness, that path is apathy. That path is Nihilism. That path is death. I will not take that path. If you want to waste your life not standing for anything, then don't expect me to care about what you have to say.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
That's better. Your still referring to a vocal minority at best, but at least I know what you're talking about. Like I said though, vocal minority. These people aren't as nearly as widespread as people make them out to be.

I was kind of hoping for something I don't remember being in a news article on the Escapist, not gonna lie. That doesn't imply a large amount of research went into it. Allow me to rephrase the question. Do you go out of your way to find positive feminists?

It's taking baby steps. At best. I'm hard pressed to think of any non-white, female or LGBT main characters (Main characters, not supporting ones) in the last couple of years. I can think of some, but not very many. And I barely think of anyone that falls into more than one of those categories of the ones that I can think of.

Never noticed games being alienating? Well in the experiences of plenty of other people, they have been. And they were the people who were actually being alienated. No offense, I think they've got a bit more knowledge on the concept of games being alienating than you do.
dude of course i know its not everyone, SJWs for me are extermist and ive always repeated that believing in social justice is not enough to make you a SJW, ive seen enough moderates to be convinced of this

i usually dont go out of my way to find about positive feminists but its always nice to find them, like christina hoff sommers, but yeah in not really into the feminist movement, i do my part supporting equality, by not discriminating people based on genders while acknowedging the differences between men and women, but if i happen to find a case of discrimination i will of course speak agaisnt it

if you are hard pressed to think about non-whites and female, just look at every capcom fighting game ever made, of just cause, or sleeping dogs, or tomb raider, or transistor, etc, just off the top of my head, from someone who honestly couldnt give any less of a shit about race (seriously the less you care about race, the better, thats how you archiveve normality)

LGBT, i give you that, not many characters, admitedly a lot of people would feel unconfortable playing as a bi/homosexual, that doesnt imply these people are homophobic tough, i personally would find unconfortable to play as a bi/homosexual, particulary if theres any romantic stuff in the game, that of course doesnt mean i have anything agaisnt homosexuals, i might give the trans metroidvania game a chance, if its exceptionally good, because i like metroidvanias

i never found games being alineating, im a non-white, ive yet to be denied a place in a server because of my race, ive yet to see a person being kicked from a server for being homosexual or a girl, ive lived my entire life in a non-white country, ive yet to hear the first complain about white game characters, i dont recall anybody ever being denied a controller because of race, gender or sexual orientation over here, i honestly dont see it, i just see a buncha folks wanting to play

it kind of reminds me of this image

http://33.media.tumblr.com/3b6ec0f13448b78e916d2866eb39097c/tumblr_nczb7v7icK1tmbi15o1_1280.png

could gaming be more inclusive? i dont know, maybe, i dont claim to know how everyone games, but as far as inclusivity go, ive argue gaming has always been very inclusive

hell just consider that in pretty much every country in the world someone is playing video games, HOW could video games not be inclusive?

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
no of course im not implying she did this it would be ridiculous
So when you said THAT PERSON, you meant someone different this time?

That would be convenient.
no i did mean her, my point was that, while anita didnt get GTA5 banned, people who think like her did
People who think like you include fucking Nazi's like KoP! This is such a worthless fucking argument.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

no i did mean her, my point was that, while anita didnt get GTA5 banned, people who think like her did
People who think like you include fucking Nazi's like KoP! This is such a worthless fucking argument.
KoP probably doesnt think like me when it comes to race and nazis, but he probably thinks like me when it comes to video games, probably, i havent asked him personally and i dont follow him

the people i described think pretty much like anita when it comes to video games, and there is where i find the irony, "we wont take your games", and yet people like her are getting games pulled from stores

were you trying to prove something? because i think you missed the point

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
so, some feminists in norway are trying to do the same thing, get GTA5 pulled from the stores in norway

http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/XboxOne/9191/den-norske-kvinnefronten-krever-at-butikker-fjerne-gta-v-fra-hyllene

told you

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

KoP probably doesnt think like me when it comes to race and nazis, but he probably thinks like me when it comes to video games, probably, i havent asked him personally and i dont follow him

the people i described think pretty much like anita when it comes to video games, and there is where i find the irony, "we wont take your games", and yet people like her are getting games pulled from stores

were you trying to prove something? because i think you missed the point
He thinks like you do about the dreaded SJW, like a reactionary.

And as one of those people who "think like Anita," I can assure you I am entirely against this whole petition. It's idiotic and misinformed. This doesn't change my stance on political issues, this doesn't change my stance on games or gaming culture.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Ugggh.... Christ... Ok i will start off by saying, by in large i am a supporter of gamer gate, that is my disclosure so you have an idea of the future opinion of this little ***** fit i am throwing.

Ok, where to even start with this... To pull down a game and stop selling it is fine, that is not a gamergate issue, it is a business issue and one that the company can make the choice for themselves. However, when your reason for removing a game is 'violence against women' you are only promoting in-equality by holding one gender up on a pedestal. You have come out to say 'all that violence and death and straight up torture you commit against male NPC's in the game means nothing'

THIS IS NOT RIGHT, THIS IS NOT PROMOTING EQUALITY.

If a business wishes to pull a game off shelves for the violence it promotes, sure, that is their choice and their business decision and they can take the loss or gain in sales as they see fit. But they should never, ever, have colored it as 'violence against women' when they continue to sell any number of violent movies that depict comparable levels of violence against women. This all smacks of the false studies that were pushed forth that violence in video games promotes violence in people only limiting it to hold cretin groups of people up on a plinth. We are all human, Christ...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
You'll have to forgive me. Talking about SJWs is so fucked nowadays.

Well, that's kind of a problem with people that complain about feminists. A lot of them say that they want more positive feminists, but they don't bother to look for them.

The problem with saying fighting games have a diverse cast is the same as saying Civilization games have a diverse cast. It's a game that doesn't have/care about characters. And I know that there examples out there, I flat out said so. Problem is that they're extremly outnumbered. I'm not asking for a 50/50 split but come on! We can do better than what we've got.

I myself have a few issues there that I'm not proud of, so no comment.

Fair enough, I take back my earlier point. Though I would like to point out that you do not speak for all people of color. Just keep that in mind.

Uh. Yeah it could. We could get a few more protagonists that aren't hetrosexual white males. As a start. Then maybe we could make it so that every female character isn't a bomb shell. And that if she isn't a bomb shell she isn't automatically evil or a crazy homeless lady. I could go on for a LONG time.

People playing a game does not automatically mean that that game is inclusive towards them and that it is impossible to improve anything. Honestly man, what kind of argument is that?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
so, some feminists in norway are trying to do the same thing, get GTA5 pulled from the stores in norway

http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/XboxOne/9191/den-norske-kvinnefronten-krever-at-butikker-fjerne-gta-v-fra-hyllene

told you
...You do realize the majority of the people on this site aren't going to be able to read a god damn word of that right?

And wait for the game to ACTUALLY BE PULLED OFF OF THE SHELVES then you get to pull the "I told you so" card. And considering it sounds like they're trying to get the government to do it (I can't tell because I can't read the article) I consider the chances of the game getting pulled slim at best.