Teacher Cancels Class Because of Portal 2 Launch

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Haha, that's funny.
Seriously, some of you guys I think are over-reactig a little bit.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I think that teacher is wrong. Most of his students are playing Mortal Kombat.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Cry Wolf said:
mikev7.0 said:
restoshammyman said:
HankMan said:
Mackheath said:
"So by divising his equation E equals M C squared, Einstein proved that the cake is -in fact- NOT a lie."
So THAT's what the C stands for!
It's been bugging me for years. :p
in case you really want to know. C is the speed of light. 300,000,000 m/s
Did you mean Kilometers (Km) per second? That velocity is listed (Source: About Time, Paul Davies) as 300,000 Km per second.

There all fixed. God it would be good if we all just used metrics....y'know for Science! ^^
No, m in this instance means meters. 1 km = 1000 m, thus 300,000 km/s = 300,000,000 m/s
Okay thanks! I got a little thrown off because my source listed it in Km. It still sounds weird to me that 186,000 miles per second is equal to 300,000,000 meters per second. I really wish they would have just taught us (people from the States) metrics to begin with. I really need to study conversions more but there is a lot of other stuff that's just more interesting to me. Oh. Also I'm kinda' playing Portal 2 at the moment! 80D

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
Ha ha, quite the lighthearted news, this teacher really knows his/her students.

Everyone plays portal 2, everybody wins !

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Doctor Glocktor said:
Jesus Christ, the vast majority in this thread need to learn to lighten the fuck up and pull that log out of their asses.

ONE class missed doesn't meant the world is gonna end. Get over it.
I agree. Why is it never situationally dependent? I mean if you have all your homework in, are studying hard, and feel confident about your exams then why not have a day of celebration for something as cool, educational, and thought provoking as Portal?

Heck I took two days off for Red Alert 3 and my teachers knew it and didn't care. As long as I maintained my 3.85 or better they let me do pretty much whatever I wanted. God I love my teachers....

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
Heh, I plan my vacation around release dates. When Fallout: New Vegas got released, I had already fixed a week off work, copious amounts of alcohol and general supplies. All I really needed was the game, which I picked up day one of the vacation. :) That was a good week, too bad I can't remember all of it.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
That's kind of worrying that people are throwing their education away for a game.

However, it is a great game and I have done the same for C&C 3 so I can't be too preachy.
What do you mean,they are throwing away their education for SCIENCE!!! =D
But yeah,I feel happy for those children,they have Portal 2.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Dr Jones said:
Arctodus_Simus said:
This was a triumph
I'm making a note here: School cancelled
It's hard to describe my anticipation

Public schools:
We stay home from work because we play
for the good of none of us
except for those who stay home

But there's no sense going to school every day
you just keep on faking till you run out of game
and the faking gets done and you stay where you belong
home where you can game
Epic :D

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Doctor Glocktor said:
Jesus Christ, the vast majority in this thread need to learn to lighten the fuck up and pull that log out of their asses.

FamoFunk said:
Haha, that's funny.
Seriously, some of you guys I think are over-reactig a little bit.
mikev7.0 said:
Doctor Glocktor said:

I agree. Why is it never situationally dependent? I mean if you have all your homework in, are studying hard, and feel confident about your exams then why not have a day of celebration for something as cool, educational, and thought provoking as Portal?

Heck I took two days off for Red Alert 3 and my teachers knew it and didn't care. As long as I maintained my 3.85 or better they let me do pretty much whatever I wanted. God I love my teachers....
I'm not sure about the other "negative Nancys", but for me, it isn't about individuals skipping class or work for a game. Like I said, if you can handle missing the class, that's fine for you; you have makeup work or need to hunt down lecture notes, that's fine.

My point is that this teacher applied that to all of their students. What about the students who couldn't care less about Portal 2 who now have to rearrange their week to come to the makeup session?

Where are the consequences for the students who did take the day off? Not consequences like punishment, but the simple consequences; miss a day, makeup work, loss of participation points, missed lecture? Nowhere, they get their cake (lie or no), and eat it too.

El_Chubba_Chubba

Mar 13, 2009
I think alot of people could take this the wrong way, assuming that the teacher is disregarding his responsibilty. But actually this was the best thing for him/her to do.

Seeing as there is no point having a class if such a large number of people are going to be 'ill'. Thumbs up to Valve for making a game great enough that the students don't care. :D

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Weak. I say let the "several" students fail.

We all know it was so the teacher could play Portal 2.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I think this teacher is trying to bluff to get out of teaching the class so he could go play portal 2. ;)

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
Asked off work for Halo: Reach.
Spring break saves this time around though, yay for science!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So people are calling in sick to play Portal instead of just waiting a few hours until the lecture is over and play it afterwards? Well, sure. Go ahead. Sounds plausible.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Tulks said:
Anyone else bothered by the grammatical error in the first line? I hope this wasn't an English class.
I just saw that. Gross. >_<

Anyway... this is some silly news. I am amused. Though... it does make me wonder. The only time I can think of where I was "sick" due to a game coming out was when the Wrath expansion came out for WoW, since I was rushing to 80. It didn't come up and it wasn't a problem since I just turned in my assignment early, but... I wonder if that professor knew what I was really up to. XD

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Tulks said:
Anyone else bothered by the grammatical error in the first line? I hope this wasn't an English class.
Even if it wasn't an English class, that's a little reprehensible.

Anyhow... gonna nit pick: that's an email, not a text.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Pretty sweet, props to the teacher.

I have never actually called in sick because I wanted to play a game so very badly.

However I am now seriously considering doing precisely that on the day Skyrim comes out.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
I bet that at least one of the missing students was -actually- sick and no one will believe him.