Tekken 7 Character Excluded From U.S. Release After Negative Feedback

Sep 24, 2008
144 said:
Exactly (more or less). A few bad apples in the Tekken community ruined it for everyone. If you see my first post, I'm glad that for once, a developer has said "I've had it with you assholes." For too long, the gaming community has had a stigma of being made up of jerks who throw bile with no consequence. Maybe now the gaming community has the chance to prove that it's also made up of nice guys.

If that were true, the next thing that would happen would be a bunch of feel-good messages to Harada, asking politely that he change his mind, and that the mean people don't represent the Tekken community. Nice people would recognize that his feelings were hurt, and try to make him feel better.

Instead, the Tekken community is just being more rude to him. I don't think that's the way to get what you want.

Also, I've decided to leave your analogies alone. They don't work so well.
Fighting Asshole-ism with being an asshole just makes you an asshole. You want to fight ideas, take the fight to those who voice the ideas. Punishing an entire community for something that they, by and large, didn't do and saying that now you can all show me your worth... is a terrible, terrible strategy for making money.

You can Alanah Pearce [http://jezebel.com/video-game-reviewer-is-contacting-the-mothers-of-her-on-1664381934/+Fahey]'d the situation. Make the actual commentators and abusers look stupid, and I'm right there with you. They were assholes. Go after them.

Nuke everyone from orbit and, as being apart the Tekken Community myself, I wonder what the fuck did I do.

Equating all of the Tekken Community to a few threads in maybe four sites is wrong. It's Fox News Wrong. It's wondering if violent video games lead Adam Lanza to commit the Sandy Hook tragedy [http://www.cbsnews.com/news/violent-video-games-and-mass-violence-a-complex-link/] wrong. It's taking a imperfect, damaged fraction of the whole and saying that fraction represents everything you ever need to know about the whole.

And guess what. I can take your comment about analogies to be rude. You can support it with "Well, they don't" or "It's my opinion". And you're right. In your mind, my analogies don't make sense. And It is your opinion. And I can handle it with maturity and respond in kind. Or choose to just address the issue instead of making another derisive comment back to you. I'm not going to the Mods and complaining that you said something that made me feel bad so there needed to be action taken, since I'm a grown man.

You said something I didn't care for. I stuck to the matter at hand. I got my feelings out and no one had to suffer. That's my point.

flamedance58

May 2, 2008
This is why we can't have nice things. Cause people ***** about content and it gets taken away because of it.

Someone is making something for you that you likely can't make yourself.
You ***** about it and now they won't make it for you.
Now you want it back.
Deal with it :p

If you want this to stop happening then stop bitching because you think a character has a lazy character design. Heck most female characters in fighting games are typically just scantily clad women at best.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Are people actually taking this seriously? His tweets are clearly just a poor response to negative reception of the new character because it upset him. Do people honestly think he's going to exclude a character (from a fighting game no less, which are usually very competitive games) from the US release just because some people didn't like the character?

HaWkE_N7

Mar 28, 2011
They'll probably just charge you for the privilege of playing as her by making her DLC at a steep price in the same way Capcom do with their games.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
BrownGaijin said:
Yo Escapist, check his thread again. I think we've all been punked!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/542583593776599040
I will be fair....I like the design of the skinhead dude. I would played with him if he was a character.
But yeah, this picture is hilarious.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Pretty sure, like 99% sure, its just a troll on the minority of complaining jacktards who think they've ultimately got some power over developers that if they make enough stink despite being a minority they can affect some form of change.
If it was legitimately an issue I'd understand but I don't see a real problem with said character in a Tekken game that's loaded with outrageous and absolutely batshit crazy characters as it is.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
LifeCharacter said:
BrownGaijin said:
Yo Escapist, check his thread again. I think we've all been punked!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/542583593776599040
Gonna be honest, I like that design a lot better than the one it's replacing. So, keep up the good work people of the Tekken community who complained, it seems to inspire the slightest bit of creativity.

More OT: So someone went on the internet and found some people saying that they didn't like his new character and his feelings were so hurt by everyone not loving everything he makes that he decided to whine about it on twitter and say he was pulling the character?

...Why are people getting pissy about Neogaf and not Harada for devolving into a petulant child?
Actually a better idea would be something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFPU0TjaDU

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
BareHope said:
Ctirad said:
BareHope said:
That's very customer oriented of him.

If he were George Lucas, by now all Tekken 7 character would wear that outfit on release, and there'd be two exclusive spin-off games featuring Chloe exclusively.
Removing content is customer oriented? Seems anti consumer to me.
Well, he's offering to remove the content on customer demand ... and he's offering to keep it in on customer demand, too. You can't deny an orientation towards the customer here, even if the response has a certain...passive-aggressive flavor to it.
Eh, no. He?s totally throwing a tantrum here. Some Americans are whining about his new character so he?s taking the character away so no one can play it. ?You?re criticizing my cool new ball? Fine! I?m taking my ball and going home! The Europeans will like it!?

I don?t play Tekken, so the final decision doesn?t affect me at all, but I find this behavior absolutely childish in every way. Some Americans are bashing your new character, so in retaliation he takes it away from all Americans? Most developers will most certainly ignore the backlash, knowing that it?s just talk and plenty of other players will like the character. But because a group of whining fans are complaining (which is what fans always do anyway), he?s going to remove the character so even the players that like the character won?t get the chance to play...

That decision wasn?t made for the consumer; it was made in retaliation.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Neronium said:
Dango said:
Huh, she looks fine to me. It's pretty ridiculous just to react to one Neogaf thread.
There was one here as well, although the general consensus in that thread was "she's really not bad or out of place for a Tekken game", with the OP making claims that the creator was being racist...since apparently American is now a race. :p
Not only that but they accused a person that didn't agree with them a pedophile, then declared herself the authority on what types of sexy were empowering.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
What confuses me is that this is a fighting game, a genre where if there is a character you don't like, the game lets you beat the ever-loving shit out of them. To me that is much more satisfying than just not having the character in the game.

Beretta

Feb 27, 2007
Remarkably enough, as someone else suggested, if she was an actual supernatural person -an actual "catgirl," that would incredibly less stupid.
I mean, for all the flack she tends to get for being basically naked Felicia from Darkstalkers is rarely bashed for not being a _combatant_. Cats are top-tier predators in most of their ecosystems after all; even domestic breeds are rarely threatened by things other then dogs and cars.

The problem with Lucky Chloe is that she's not a fighter.
You'll notice that the Panda, the Dinosaur and even the other light weight female characters are still actual warriors (or predatory creatures) and their designs reflect that. She's not built like a fighter. She's, judging from the promo trailer, not trained in an actual art. She's got those stupidly huge gloves that'd at least _impair_ grappling and striking. She's sub-Waif-Fu, and yeah she does look like someone's cosplay design for a version of another character.

She reminds of effin' Momo from KoF: Maximum Impact, and for fuck's sake Momo was a TERRIBLE character!

(...pretty much any character named Momo is some kind of cutesy-ineffective; I wonder if there's some cultural subtext to that effect...)

It's not complicated: she's not a Tekken character. Sumo is, though not a good one, a fighting art. Bears are inherently dangerous. Bruce Lee-a-likes are BRUCE FUCKING LEE. Nina's an assassin, Anna's a femme-fatale, Jun's a ...spirit of purity(?!), Michele's a wanderer/brawler, Julia's a Lucha, Angela and Devil are what it says on the label, Alisa is a little odd -but she's also a flight-capable chainsaw-deploying combat gynoid, and etc etc etc.

Everything and everyone in the Tekken roster except Lily (who is the OG Cancer from which Chloe sprung) is, however weird or cliche'd, a fucking martial artist. The only other exception might be Eliza, but she's both a) an inherently dangerous thing (vampire) and b) a terrible actual fighter and easily bottom of the tiers.

Chloe could be a proper fighter, but the problem is that everything about her screams PROMOTIONAL DEAL worse then Diana Allers being in Mass Effect 3. Am I missing a detail here; Is Lucky Chloe a cameo from Idol Master or something like it?

Really the outrage is petty, but fuck it -listen to your damn fanbase, Harada. DoA is not better for pandering to the "untapped market potential" of the child molester fanbase with Marie-Rose; Tekken, how ever sprawling and silly as it can be, is not improved by adding-for-shiggles a character who's function is hardly more elevated.

Keep it real, do it right.

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
Steve Waltz said:
Eh, no. He?s totally throwing a tantrum here. Some Americans are whining about his new character so he?s taking the character away so no one can play it. ?You?re criticizing my cool new ball? Fine! I?m taking my ball and going home! The Europeans will like it!?

I don?t play Tekken, so the final decision doesn?t affect me at all, but I find this behavior absolutely childish in every way. Some Americans are bashing your new character, so in retaliation he takes it away from all Americans? Most developers will most certainly ignore the backlash, knowing that it?s just talk and plenty of other players will like the character. But because a group of whining fans are complaining (which is what fans always do anyway), he?s going to remove the character so even the players that like the character won?t get the chance to play...

That decision wasn?t made for the consumer; it was made in retaliation.
In what way is "nah ah, he totally threw a tantrum" in any way a counter argument to "well, he sure likes reacting to customer complaints a lot"?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Beretta said:
Remarkably enough, as someone else suggested, if she was an actual supernatural person -an actual "catgirl," that would incredibly less stupid.
I mean, for all the flack she tends to get for being basically naked Felicia from Darkstalkers is rarely bashed for not being a _combatant_. Cats are top-tier predators in most of their ecosystems after all; even domestic breeds are rarely threatened by things other then dogs and cars.

The problem with Lucky Chloe is that she's not a fighter.
You'll notice that the Panda, the Dinosaur and even the other light weight female characters are still actual warriors (or predatory creatures) and their designs reflect that. She's not built like a fighter. She's, judging from the promo trailer, not trained in an actual art. She's got those stupidly huge gloves that'd at least _impair_ grappling and striking. She's sub-Waif-Fu, and yeah she does look like someone's cosplay design for a version of another character.

She reminds of effin' Momo from KoF: Maximum Impact, and for fuck's sake Momo was a TERRIBLE character!

(...pretty much any character named Momo is some kind of cutesy-ineffective; I wonder if there's some cultural subtext to that effect...)

It's not complicated: she's not a Tekken character. Sumo is, though not a good one, a fighting art. Bears are inherently dangerous. Bruce Lee-a-likes are BRUCE FUCKING LEE. Nina's an assassin, Anna's a femme-fatale, Jun's a ...spirit of purity(?!), Michele's a wanderer/brawler, Julia's a Lucha, Angela and Devil are what it says on the label, Alisa is a little odd -but she's also a flight-capable chainsaw-deploying combat gynoid, and etc etc etc.

Everything and everyone in the Tekken roster except Lily (who is the OG Cancer from which Chloe sprung) is, however weird or cliche'd, a fucking martial artist. The only other exception might be Eliza, but she's both a) an inherently dangerous thing (vampire) and b) a terrible actual fighter and easily bottom of the tiers.

Chloe could be a proper fighter, but the problem is that everything about her screams PROMOTIONAL DEAL worse then Diana Allers being in Mass Effect 3. Am I missing a detail here; Is Lucky Chloe a cameo from Idol Master or something like it?

Really the outrage is petty, but fuck it -listen to your damn fanbase, Harada. DoA is not better for pandering to the "untapped market potential" of the child molester fanbase with Marie-Rose; Tekken, how ever sprawling and silly as it can be, is not improved by adding-for-shiggles a character who's function is hardly more elevated.

Keep it real, do it right.
This is actually a good reason for not liking this characters and I can relate with that.
After the successful SKullgirls Kickstarter, there was a massive poll of many different characters who were potential DLC characters. Obe of them was Minette, a humanoid-fish girl who work into a restaurant. She was never indicated in the story to know a martial Art or even to know how to fight. Just pure fan-service cute characters. Sure, if she was a DLC character in the end, I am very positive the developers would make her an enjoyable character. But it is not for me. Neither Lucky Chloe.

However

Even if I don't agree with this kind of characters [waifu,cute,fan-service,etc characters], it doesn't mean I will become so obsess to want to remove a character from a game!!!! There are plenty of other people they like this kind of characters.
Even if I didn't wanted Minette become a DLC character, damn, she was VERY close to become one!!!

So........haters of cute characters who don't know story-wise how to fight, you can hate them, but let the other waifu lovers enjoy them.

Peace yo

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Can we please talk about how ridiculous outrage culture has become? Whatever happened to, "If I don't like something, I won't play it." Why does a minority of people who are perpetually offended by everything get to dictate what is and is not sold?

Why are people getting outraged over Lucky Chloe? She seems like every other Japanese character design ever. Is this really the one thing people should get pissed off about? She's clearly not that ridiculous, considering the Tekken series has included characters like Gon, a dinosaur. Which only leaves one criticism from the folks at NeoGAF, which is that she's sexist.

Can we please acknowledge that the sexism critique in video games has jumped the shark?

Alex1508

Sep 20, 2014
Personally, i'm more dissapointed in Harada's response. No, Mr. Harada they are perfectly entitled to not like your character and voice their dissatisfaction in whatever forum they want. Also no, your wounded ego is not justification enough to go and punish the rest of your fans who are content with the design or start a virtual lynch mob against the ppl who don't like it or retort with vaguely xenophobic remarks.

Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Can we please talk about how ridiculous outrage culture has become? Whatever happened to, "If I don't like something, I won't play it." Why does a minority of people who are perpetually offended by everything get to dictate what is and is not sold?

Why are people getting outraged over Lucky Chloe? She seems like every other Japanese character design ever. Is this really the one thing people should get pissed off about? She's clearly not that ridiculous, considering the Tekken series has included characters like Gon, a dinosaur. Which only leaves one criticism from the folks at NeoGAF, which is that she's sexist.

Can we please acknowledge that the sexism critique in video games has jumped the shark?
So a group of fans on the internet started a few threads voicing their dislike of the character design, THE HORROR, THE SJW BRIGADE INQUISITION IS COMING.....yeah, right. As if there aren't a million and a half threads voicing their dislike for about every single one of the playable characters wether it's design or gameplay wise or as if these ones disliking Chloe were somehow special in the light of the other ones. The only thing that differentiates them is the fact Harada took personal offense at it and wanted to make a circus show out of it.

So hypersensitive indeed. He should grow a thicker skin.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Alex1508 said:
So hypersensitive indeed. He should grow a thicker skin.
Honestly, he's exercising his right as a creator. If NeoGAFers are going to be dickparades and ruin it for everyone, then the blame falls solely on NeoGAF. It's not easy creating something. If I had to choose between Mr. Harada and the entirety of NeoGAF, I know which one I'd choose.

Again, if you don't like something, don't buy it. Vote with your dollars.