"That's Not a Real Job"

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
If you get paid for doing it then it's a job. And it doesn't matter what kind of a job it is if you can make a living out of it.

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
I have worked in many jobs. A labourer on construction sites since I was 15. I worked as a bar man. I designed tattoos to sell. I designed houses and did surveys. I made furniture to sell. Now I am an engineer working for the government in planning. I would consider all of the above proper jobs.

When I first worked in an office after construction I could not understand how I could be tired after the day where I did no physical labour but I was. I realised then that it was the same tiredness that I would get from creating tattoos for a full day. Mental exertion can tire you as much as physical.

All of my posts were jobs, all made me tired and I earned money on all. So I honestly think that anyone that tells people to get a proper job simply do not understand the job the person is doing and are arrogant about it.

So i would say ignore the people who say get a proper job as they are most often than ones who would be unable to do any other job but their own, inflexible and equipped with tunnel vision.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
my personal concept of a 'real job' is one that involves a regular paycheck and or reliable income
on which you can base raising a family, run a home, a car and or whatever entertainment you like.

if you manage that in some manner then your job is a real job.

the exact route is irrelevant.

Tarrker

Jun 18, 2008
Vausch said:
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?
Mmmyeah, they are most likely all just people jealous of how happy your work experience is. I grew up in a very military family where most of us practice some form of serious, martial arts. Not surprisingly, my brother and I both grew right into teaching our skills to kids as an occupation after school. I STILL get the "not a real job" thing from lots of people all the time. I'm still not sure why people think this way, but I think it's like you said. They all seem to revolve around how much you enjoy it.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Vausch said:
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?

if you can get sustainable income from it, its a real job

if you say you are an artist but depend on public funds, be it unemployment for just public spending on arts; or cannot get sustainable income then it is not a real job

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Being an artist is the same as being an entrepreneur. It is most certainly a real job, though not always a very stable or profitable one.

But what about the hookers and drug dealers of the world? They provide some very interesting services while taking on large risks, and yet we constantly tell them to get real jobs... poor criminals.

All that being said, I have both a real job and a "fake job", so I'm set.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I get told by customers where I work that I need to get a "real job", one was a convicted felon, and the other was a known drug dealer.

Oh, and then there's that thievery ring we have in town, that every time they get caught (which is a LOT), they tend to scream that.

Anyways, as long as what your doing is legal, and you can pay your bills with it, I think it counts as a real job.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Basically, I think the general consensus among those who might use the phrase "real job" is that anything you get paid for that doesn't make you miserable is not a real job.

Even if you actually do a lot of work (animation, for instance), it's not a real job if you like it.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Zeke63 said:
Diddy_Mao said:
Whatever honest work earns you your daily bread is absolutely a "real" job and I won't hear otherwise.

I used to get this from some of the developers I worked with. "You're just doing the automated testing. Get to work on the "real work" you were assigned."

Conveniently forgetting that their sloppy ass code was the whole reason I had to run bi-weekly automated tests.
what is an automated test versus what they say is your "actual" purpose?
Sorry for the delay. My current "real job" completely wiped me out yesterday.

The company I worked for had developed a series of online tools for small businesses. Most of what I was in charge of testing was an online contact manager similar in nature to Constant Contact.

The Automated tests were designed to make sure all of the basic functionality of the site was still working. All I really had to do was load up the test suite and press play and it would automatically play back through the various commands I had previously entered.

For example a simple test would be a series of commands telling the system to go to wwww.facebook.com, click on the username field, enter the text "[email protected]", click on the password field, enter the text "password" and then click the login button. Assuming everything was still working perfectly that would result in a successful test of the log in feature.

The problem is that any number of things can cause an automated test to come back with a false negative so the process needs to be baby sat to some degree.

My "Real work" was manually testing the new features that were ready to go live to make sure they actually performed the tasks they were meant to, and when possible, to write up an automated test to add to the already existing list.

Most of the ill will aimed in my direction was from an unfortunate view from the developers that the existence of a software tester implied that they didn't know how to do their jobs.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
I'm not saying that all beggars are con-artists; I'm talking about those that make a living out of it by choice, and profit from the kindness of others by pretending to be too unwell to be under employment.
I think I know what you mean, I think you mean those who try to invoke your pity more than would be warranted considering their situation.

I don't consider that an actual scam, because there's no promise of a benefit to myself (past the promise of maybe sharing some of that wine). Guess we're just of differing opinions here...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Animation often requires me to work through the day and well into the night/early hours, and then get up mere hours later to start the grueling process again. Deadlines are cruel.

Yet to my grandparents I'm not 'really working'.
I may as well be doodling with crayons for all they think on it.

Just ignore it, usually it's coming from people who have not found a passion for something and have simply accepted a life of mediocrity and grind. But because it's making them miserable they're doing 'REAL work'. If you are making a living, and you are truly invested in it, then you're doing work.

Hell even if you're not quite making a living from it, it's still work. Everything that you pour yourself into in the hopes of getting somewhere in life is your work.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Job Flow Chart

Can I make money from other people by doing the activity without forcefully taking it?
Yes_____________________________________No
It is a job_______________________It isn't a job

Not that difficult.

Now it isn't a very good job if it isn't reliable income, and it isn't a very noble job if it doesn't add anything to society. The general category of "Art" can fall into or out of either domain pending on the artist.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Verlander said:
Aramis Night said:
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
snip
I'm not in debt to anyone for anything(something credit agencies seem to despise. Whenever they run a background check on my credit it comes out with a bad credit score because its blank). I live within my means and have been given no handouts, or benefits of any kind.
snip
I am bugging my congressmen and representatives, to pass legislation to automatically give good credit points to people every year they do not have debt. Trying to get others to join me.

I am thinking about getting more involved in politics just to bug people to fix problems like this. It is good too see other fiscal conservatives out there (Note: I said FISCAL, just nipping the dozen people hating on me for saying the "C" word)
I would love it if my lack of debt would reflect well on my credit score. But i don't think that passing laws is the answer. It just shows that credit scores are less of an indication of risk and more an indication of potential profit for lending agencies. If you do not have debt and are driven to stay debt free, than any lenders you deal with don't stand to make much money on interest dealing with you and have no incentive to do so.

One solution i would like to see is credit scores being information beyond the reach of any businesses that are not lenders and only with your permission to obtain a loan or credit. Living within your means could in some fields actually cost you promotions because some employers do credit checks.

Oh and don't worry. I'm not offended by the notion of being related to fiscal conservatism. My positions are varied, but i'll admit that fiscal conservatives have a lot of good points. I'll take that as a compliment :)
The "bad credit rating" is more to do with the fact you can't consistently prove that you can pay back within your means, rather than profit making. Some people who massively borrow can have a great credit rating, as can people who borrow very little - the rating isn't dependent on size of debt, or potential profit, but the risk of you taking out a first time loan and never being able to pay it back because you're not used to it (or you already have allocated your monthly renumeration, like salary).

A really simple way to boost your credit rating would be to get a minimal charge credit card and spend maybe £10 or so a month on it, paying the debt off immediately so it doesn't accrue any interest. As credit rating systems are mostly automated, this will begin to eventually give you a great rating as a reliable lender. It's easier said than done though, and don't use the credit card for anything more than this - those things are also the easiest way to get a bad credit rating through abuse of the card. It's far too tempting when you are stuck for money or in an awkward situation to use them beyond what you can safely pay back
You're actually making my point. People who can't live within their means constantly have to borrow money or live on credit. The fact that people who massively borrow can have great credit scores illustrates just how profit based the credit score system is. If they were actually good at allocating their funds properly, they would not need to borrow money. You can slip further and further into debt and your level of inability to live within your means and to pay back your debts will be masked by being offered increased credit limits or transferring debt to different lenders/cards without ever actually having to pay off the balance of previous debts.

The fact that your solution is simply another method of manipulating the system shows just how broken the credit rating system is. Aside from obtaining a credit score, what possible reason can one have to keep a debt balance of $10 when they don't need to be in debt? As it is, the credit rating system lumps together the most financially responsible with those who are the least financially responsible.

For myself, being without debt is a matter of honour. I know its a concept unfamiliar to most. Carrying debt should not be normal, as it is for most people now. Holding onto debt is irresponsible.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
The Lugz said:
my personal concept of a 'real job' is one that involves a regular paycheck and or reliable income
on which you can base raising a family, run a home, a car and or whatever entertainment you like.

Wow, your standards for a real job is incredibly high. There is almost no way to guarantee a regular paycheck long enough to raise a family. Even if you are incredibly fortunate enough to make enough to support a family paycheck to paycheck(which would have to be a huge amount of money). Seeing as how virtually no one has job security anymore how can you know if your job is a real job until after you have had it for 2 decades.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Aramis Night said:
The Lugz said:

Wow, your standards for a real job is incredibly high. There is almost no way to guarantee a regular paycheck long enough to raise a family. Even if you are incredibly fortunate enough to make enough to support a family paycheck to paycheck(which would have to be a huge amount of money). Seeing as how virtually no one has job security anymore how can you know if your job is a real job until after you have had it for 2 decades.

HA!

I'm not talking about absolute job security! that would be ridiculous, that comes under
'whatever means necessary' switching jobs is a means to feed mouths.

I just mean any job that has a reliable source of money, so you can prevision accordingly
in the short term.
in my not so humble opinion, people generating income from youtube adverts,
for example is not a 'real job' because one small glitch could wipe out a month's
earnings, or the plug might be pulled by google, advertising companies or clicks may drop
off for no apparent reason ect ect.

A reliable 'real' job could include supermarket manager, owning a small firm or company
a skilled worker in a technology company, consultant, or any numerous laborers
a laborer laminating and painting car components is a skilled laborer and has a decent wage,
a backend developer for a website, hired staff of many kinds ect.
these are examples, not a comprehensive list.

basically anything that guarantees a wage packet ( preferably a good one ) of some kind
regularly, is a 'real job'

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Do you get paid?
Do you "work" at least one hour a week?
You're employed.

I think the real question should be: "You get paid for that!?"
Makes you sound less ignorant.

As per "physical labour," I don't think there's been many of those kinds of jobs since the last industrial revolution.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
Do you get paid?
Do you "work" at least one hour a week?
You're employed.

I think the real question should be: "You get paid for that!?"
Makes you sound less ignorant.

As per "physical labour," I don't think there's been many of those kinds of jobs since the last industrial revolution.
I'm with this guy.
Granted, I don't have a job so my opinion probably doesn't mean much but as far as I'm concerned, if you see money coming out of it on a regular basis, it's a job.