The “WTF?!” Thread

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ok, my British friends, honest question: what the hell does your Royal Family actually do other than get jerked off by the people? King Charles is getting a 2nd coronation?? Have they done anything except celebrate with pretentious pomp and pageantry since he got into office, I mean, took the throne?? What was it, royal horsey race a couple weeks ago??

And to my fellow Americans, can we take our heads out of the Royal Family's ass?? I personally wouldn't care if Princes Harry and William killed each other; why is "our" news inundated with their family drama? Don't we have enough drama of our own? We still haven't figured out how to stop shooting each other; let's worry about that before sending correspondents overseas to cover King Charles' latest parade or his going to the loo.
It's even worse when you actually have royals. Our former chief leech got hospitalized 8 days ago, and our media are just going on and on about it. Both unfortunately and fortunately, the useless fuck was released today. Unfortunate cuz it didn't die. Fortunate cuz they can now shut up, which they'd never do for weeks on end if it did die.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's even worse when you actually have royals. Our former chief leech got hospitalized 8 days ago, and our media are just going on and on about it. Both unfortunately and fortunately, the useless fuck was released today. Unfortunate cuz it didn't die. Fortunate cuz they can now shut up, which they'd never do for weeks on end if it did die.
I'd gladly exchange our own farce of governance and an orange oligarch attempting to supplant the very foundation of our nation's principles for an impotent monarchy that throws a parade every two days, but given that's not happening any time soon, I'd prefer not to have to turn on MY news and watch those parades every two days.

At least this is somewhat "local" news for you lot. I mean, the UK is like, what? 12 miles away from Belgium? I don't know geography, but for the purposes of my complaining, I'm going full hyperbole and refuse to be reasoned with otherwise. As far as I'm concerned, King Charles is the KING OF EUROPE, and his and the business of his spawn should be none of 'Murica's!

(Meanwhile, I am a black/Hispanic man whose life is currently under constant threat for my lack of whiteness. Is Belgium accepting refugees? I can't speak Dutch, French, or German, but I love ovens, fries, and and bratwurst; I'm basically one of you already.)

Reactions: Chimpzy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
(Meanwhile, I am a black/Hispanic man whose life is currently under constant threat for my lack of whiteness.
We got racism too tho, but ours is mostly focused on Arabs, and generally not of the "found hanging from a tree, local police very insistent its suicide" variety.
Is Belgium accepting refugees?
Yes
I can't speak Dutch, French, or German
Not an issue, most people under 40 speak enough English to where that's not a problem
but I love ovens, fries, and and bratwurst; I'm basically one of you already.)
Bratwurst is German, but other than that, add in a love of soccer, and you're like two third there.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We got racism too tho, but ours is mostly focused on Arabs, and generally not of the "found hanging from a tree, local police very insistent its suicide" variety.
That's all I'm asking for. Shame that my standards have sunk so low.
On my way.
Not an issue, most people under 40 speak enough English to where that's not a problem
Fantastic!
Bratwurst is German, but other than that, add in a love of soccer, and you're like two third there.
I understood that Dutch, French, and German are the languages spoken there, so I was just trying to cover any bases that might hinder my naturalization process. As for soccer (and I appreciate you using that term for my benefit,) I loved Ted Lasso, so maybe it'll grow on me as it did him? I'm a Formula 1 fan, and there's a Belgian GP; hopefully that gives me a leg up. If not, I'm still happy to play the fish out of water that's more than happy to be out of said water. All I'd need is a convenient way to still watch my 49ers play; I won't ask for anything else.

Reactions: Chimpzy

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And to my fellow Americans, can we take our heads out of the Royal Family's ass?? I personally wouldn't care if Princes Harry and William killed each other; why is "our" news inundated with their family drama? Don't we have enough drama of our own? We still haven't figured out how to stop shooting each other; let's worry about that before sending correspondents overseas to cover King Charles' latest parade or his going to the loo.
I know, right?! We fought a war to dispose of the notion that bloodlines make some people better than others. We crown our royalty on the basis of how much money they have or how attractive they are, like God intended!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
At least this is somewhat "local" news for you lot. I mean, the UK is like, what? 12 miles away from Belgium? I don't know geography, but for the purposes of my complaining, I'm going full hyperbole and refuse to be reasoned with otherwise. As far as I'm concerned, King Charles is the KING OF EUROPE, and his and the business of his spawn should be none of 'Murica's!
The US is closer to Canada than the UK is to Belgium, and there's at lest 2 monarchs claiming monarchness over Canada.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

In a surprising turn of events, the company whose submersible 'Titan' has imploded with its crew and lays scattered 4000m below the surface has announced that they will cease to send people down 4000m with their submersible 'Titan'.

I assume the original plan was to stitch and glue it back together, and ask who else wanted a go.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK

In a surprising turn of events, the company whose submersible 'Titan' has imploded with its crew and lays scattered 4000m below the surface has announced that they will cease to send people down 4000m with their submersible 'Titan'.

I assume the original plan was to stitch and glue it back together, and ask who else wanted a go.
It would be in keeping with their design philosophy. Nothing a bit of duct tape won't fix.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ok, my British friends, honest question: what the hell does your Royal Family actually do other than get jerked off by the people? King Charles is getting a 2nd coronation?? Have they done anything except celebrate with pretentious pomp and pageantry since he got into office, I mean, took the throne?? What was it, royal horsey race a couple weeks ago??

As an unwashed member of the lower classes in Britain, can say most ppl I've met in real life are either annoyed by or don't care about the royal family, it's the RW press and tabloid rags who are obsessed and they won't ever shut up about them. Especially Meghan Markle, who they are pretty openly toxic to at every opportunity it's quite disgusting. So all of that stuff you said about what they're doing, is just their usual overpampered privileged faffing about taxpayer money not spent on the NHS is being wasted on. I tune it all out, apart from the habit of screenshotting the stupidest anti-Meghan headlines for archival purposes. And yeah, Americans who are into the royal family are an even sadder state of mental affairs. Can forgive people's Nans here due to their age and a lifetime of tunnel-visioned nationalist propaganda, but not you bunch of weirdos who have no excuses to be licking them inbred diamond boots!

Just gonna throw bonus headline screenshot as an example from today;
Screenshot_20230707-113316.png

They're obsessed with trying to split them up and extracting every ounce of negativ they can from literally nothing lol.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
TikTok is so weird. I know what's happening here, and I'm still baffled.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
OMG, this movie needs to hurry up, come out, and go away. If this movie succeeds, it's by virtue of the marketing alone, i.e.: you see it everywhere in every iteration; if nothing else, morbid curiosity will draw a paying crowd. I'm expecting a big opening weekend, then a well-deserved slump into the forgotten.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
OMG, this movie needs to hurry up, come out, and go away. If this movie succeeds, it's by virtue of the marketing alone, i.e.: you see it everywhere in every iteration; if nothing else, morbid curiosity will draw a paying crowd. I'm expecting a big opening weekend, then a well-deserved slump into the forgotten.
Some people... many people are expecting it to be a perfect meta de- and re-construction of the reality of innocent childplay + ultimate profound nostalgia-bait for a time that never was. The worst thing it can be average and highly succesful. I want it to be either: INSANE, totally mental - meanspirited and insidous, or boring, vapid shit.

Also: These Tik-Tok clips... is that what a user really sees (or regularly CAN watch) over there? Not gonna lie: It looks insane. Like surreal. Just... Think about you coming home from a funeral and this playing in the background. This will be like the Cheddar-Goblin Scene from "Mandy" times ten.

Reactions: BrawlMan