Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Somebody has made themselves a jet-engine powered go-kart. What a time to be alive (before being caught up in the inevitable fiery explosion, obviously).

Sylvester Roper, inventor of the shotgun choke and maybe the first motorbike (and the Roper repeating shotgun which was weird and cool but didn't catch on) died in 1896 at 72 years old while riding his steam powered velocipede.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Sylvester Roper, inventor of the shotgun choke and maybe the first motorbike (and the Roper repeating shotgun which was weird and cool but didn't catch on) died in 1896 at 72 years old while riding his steam powered velocipede.
I don't know what's more impressive, the fact that he was able to stick a steam engine on a bicycle (and get it up to about 40 mph!), or the fact that said steam engine didn't even kill him, he just suffered a heart attack/failure while riding it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
WTF is the US coming to? Can we just give all the gun-nuts Washington, Montana, Oregon and Idaho, fence that shit off, and let them do their Mad Max bullshit amongst themselves?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I mean, a good chunk of those guys in Idaho were from Texas.

These idiots need to move around to pretend their movement is much bigger than it actually is
I don't care where they're from; I'm saying box them all up, ship them all to the same location, wall it off, and let them circle jerk each other until the sheer lack of usable semen prevents them from procreating.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't care where they're from; I'm saying box them all up, ship them all to the same location, wall it off, and let them circle jerk each other until the sheer lack of usable semen prevents them from procreating.
Pft stick them all together in an isolated area, tell them to form their own government, ask them who the biggest alpha male is who should be king.

And then run away.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The electric Hurdy Gurdy is a thing that exists and I am mystified

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The electric Hurdy Gurdy is a thing that exists and I am mystified

Mystified for why someone would make an electric hurdy gurdy, or mystified how you'd make a hurdy gurdy electric?

Cuz the latter is really easy. It's a string instrument, just slap a pickup somewhere they can pick up the string vibrations and you're good. At 2:10 you can see a couple regular Fender style guitar single coils. To there's also a mic a little further to the right, probably so he can mix in some of the acoustic sound.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Mystified for why someone would make an electric hurdy gurdy, or mystified how you'd make a hurdy gurdy electric?

Cuz the latter is really easy. It's a string instrument, just slap a pickup somewhere they can pick up the string vibrations and you're good. At 2:10 you can see a couple regular Fender style guitar single coils. To there's also a mic a little further to the right, probably so he can mix in some of the acoustic sound.
The former - but im glad they did, because it sounds great.

I love finding obscure instruments, because so many have such unique sound profiles, that I am surprised that western culture has mostly just settled on a dozen or so instruments, and ignore the rest.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The former - but im glad they did, because it sounds great.

I love finding obscure instruments, because so many have such unique sound profiles, that I am surprised that western culture has mostly just settled on a dozen or so instruments, and ignore the rest.
Western culture unfortunately is complacent being entertained over being intellectually engaged and/or challenged. Make us think too much, and we'll retreat to the nearest McDonalds or Burger King, batten down the hatches, and scream about our right to own military-grade weapons because our 200-years-dead ancestors said we could... implicitly.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler