The Bad Ideas Guy

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
karkashan said:
Doclector said:
Like the person who decided that a big part of skyrim's main quest should involve talking to the greybeards.

First time? it isn't too bad. But considering this is the kind of game someone would do multiple run throughs of, trying different builds...

It is HELLISH to sit through their dull bullshit for the tenth time.
I've had friends ask me why I constantly kill Paarthurnax every playthrough.

That is the reason, right there.

OT: The people at bioware who designed Dragon Age 2 with a controller setup in mind, then decided all PC players would want that crappy setup we ended up with instead.
Actually, I do like paarthurnax. His dialogue is pretty cool, and the first time I found him, I was genuinely surprised.

But the Greybeards...they're just boring pricks. Not only is most of their early game nonsense a glorified tutorial on shouts, but they have all this massive power and not only do they not do anything about the war, the dragons, and all that, but they try to convince you not to do anything either. Shit, they're the last goddamn people in skyrim who should be doing the whole defeatist "There's no hope, this is the way things must be" thing. The goddamn town guards are more ready to fight for skyrim, and they're barely well armed enough to take on a few forsworn!

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Silent Hill had one glaring one. Luckily he left.

"And don't come back"​

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Doclector said:
karkashan said:
Doclector said:
Like the person who decided that a big part of skyrim's main quest should involve talking to the greybeards.

First time? it isn't too bad. But considering this is the kind of game someone would do multiple run throughs of, trying different builds...

It is HELLISH to sit through their dull bullshit for the tenth time.
I've had friends ask me why I constantly kill Paarthurnax every playthrough.

That is the reason, right there.

OT: The people at bioware who designed Dragon Age 2 with a controller setup in mind, then decided all PC players would want that crappy setup we ended up with instead.
Actually, I do like paarthurnax. His dialogue is pretty cool, and the first time I found him, I was genuinely surprised.

But the Greybeards...they're just boring pricks. Not only is most of their early game nonsense a glorified tutorial on shouts, but they have all this massive power and not only do they not do anything about the war, the dragons, and all that, but they try to convince you not to do anything either. Shit, they're the last goddamn people in skyrim who should be doing the whole defeatist "There's no hope, this is the way things must be" thing. The goddamn town guards are more ready to fight for skyrim, and they're barely well armed enough to take on a few forsworn!
I like him as well, he just gets the old "guilty by association" thing going for him that just pushes things just a little bit on the "I wanna loot his corpse" side of things with me.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wAriot said:
Exactly. And therefore there is no point for it. Yes, you don't have to aim. No, you won't kill anyone. Why the hell would you use it? Just learn how to properly use a rifle.
the learning curve for hitting moving targets that can just fly off is very steep. you have to consider that there are people who can't aim for shit but still like to play shooters, if you don't give those guys a way that allows them to contribute to the fight they will stop playing before you get they hooked enough that they are willing to learn how to use a rifle properly.
the smart pistol will do just that, it allows you easy and fast grunt farm (assuming your aim is shit and you spend half a mag taking down a grunt) and gets you kills and flying enemies you would never hit on your own. and early on you will get more kills with a smart pistol than you would with a rifle, simply because the pistol does not allow you enemy the time to lift off and fly away at an awkward angle where you have no chance of hitting him. i watched my roommate play who is such a noob and he had a blast just staying alive, killing grunts and the odd camper till he got his titan.

i actually still have that thing in my loudout because until i unlock the lmg the revolver is my weapon of choice anyway and the smart pistol is great for shooting grenades. i am actually fine with the weapon, most people complain about how unfair it is if you killed by someone who snuck up on you from behind but in that situation the same guy would have killed you with a shotgun, burst rifle or pretty much anything anyway.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
I feel like I was only killed by the Smart Pistol when I wasn't paying any attention or was attacked from behind. Which then, any other weapon would have done just as well. It's great for framing creeps, and it's a fairy nice weapon for new players. Anyone insisting it's overpowered in a pilot vs pilot scenario probably just needs to work on their own aim a bit.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:
So... who's the gritty reboot Iron Man-lookalike supposed to be? Or is that just "Arbitrary Gritty Reboot No. 212"?

Also, the Smart Pistol sounds like a decent weapon for people less used to shooters, since as Matthi205 said, it's less easy to use it against players (what with a lock-on, charge-up time) but works well against the AI grunts. It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?
Nope, Bomberman for the Xbox 360, I shit you not.

Look at that monstrosity! Did they really think that fans of the game were gonna go for that...thing?

OT: The Smart Pistol from what I've seen of it has limited range and ammunition and has a lock-on time so it's not really a bullshit weapon. However, Seekers from Dark Souls are pretty overpowered from what I've seen.
I was hanging my jaw open for a full minute the moment I saw this.

What the hell, industry? You actually thought this would make you money?

AlbinoBunny

Mar 14, 2014
People claiming the Smart pistol is 'bad' are kind of missing it's strengths.

The Smart Pistol is phenomenal at allowing mobility and fast farming. It's how I pushed out a 95 point round on attrition. By using wall jumps and chain farming my way through players and grunts.

It's fantastic design because it fills the 'crutch' weapon role that most shooters have (that being a weapon which has a low skill floor to use but has a trait which makes it undesirable for skilled players. The Liberty Launcher is the text book definition of this) but also has strengths and weaknesses that allow it to stand on its own as a weapon.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Not being able to skip cutscenes is my biggest gripe with almost any game.

It's what has actually turned me off TellTales games. Sometimes I want to try a different save but I don't want to have to wait through the exact same scene again and again to get it.

If I have no control I need to be able to give myself immediate control.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I haven't played titanfall since beta, but when I played it the smart pistol was really well balanced, it was only effective against the grunts, I made sure I had a manual pistol for when I encountered other pilots.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
I haven't played Titanfall, but from what I'm hearing about the Smart Pistol, it sounds like this video could go a long way towards explaining its inclusion in the game:

To the person who's able to see this message because they quoted this comment: you're awesome.[/youtube]

Edit: So, it turns out that the entire thread is full of people saying the exact same thing. Isn't reading fun?

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:
So... who's the gritty reboot Iron Man-lookalike supposed to be? Or is that just "Arbitrary Gritty Reboot No. 212"?

Also, the Smart Pistol sounds like a decent weapon for people less used to shooters, since as Matthi205 said, it's less easy to use it against players (what with a lock-on, charge-up time) but works well against the AI grunts. It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?

Look at that monstrosity! Did they really think that fans of the game were gonna go for that...thing?

OT: The Smart Pistol from what I've seen of it has limited range and ammunition and has a lock-on time so it's not really a bullshit weapon. However, Seekers from Dark Souls are pretty overpowered from what I've seen.
This is real? Wow...just wow.

The pursuers were damn overpowered although darksouls didn't really seem to be balanced all that well. My admittedly limited experience with pvp was mostly just finding new inventive ways to mess with people and be messed with.

GW2 did the unskippable cut scene thing for no apparent reason recently. Maybe because they didn't want you to miss that Jory and Kas were in a relationship now? I don't know. I would thought if any of the cutscenes would be unskippable it would be the dragon waking up revealing what the main villain for the past season has been doing all this time but no...that one you can skip. It didn't help that the two you can't skip are long, the fight after it is very short and has a achievement for doing a certain thing that is likely to take multiple tries.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
You know, I simply do not understand all the hate Shadow the Hedgehog gets, it is an excellent game in just about every way, and the ways it's not are the same ones that 3D Sonic games have had since Adventure (bad camera and controls, which is another way of saying that I'm not an instant expert therefore the game is bad.) It's also one of the most innovate games in the franchise. It has a strong story with multiple branching paths that unlike most games with such is actually different, a much more interesting protagonist with more character development in his first 5 minutes than Sonic has had in his entire existence, great sound and music all around, and fun gameplay. Shadow uses guns? So what? It's not like they haven't had gun wielding protagonists in the series before.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I find I just aim the smart pistol like a regular gun when I'm against pilots, and do the aim lock for grunts. The biggest help it gives me is that it helps me recognize where enemies are by pointing them out. That's my handicap in shooters: it takes me forever to recognize an enemy from the background.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
The_Darkness said:
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:

Who THE FUCK thought THAT was a brilliant idea?! I thought I successfully repressed that in my memory, but it just came back! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I... Oh.

Oh.

You have got to be kidding- *Checks* -but you're not...

Who in the world thought that was a good idea? What happened to the pink and blue Bomberman that we know and love?!
[/quote]

He got sick of that crap and moved to the portables.

I have heard the multiplayer is somewhat fun, at least.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I am very disappointed. It was a perfect setup, yet nobody ended up being thrown out the window :(

Then again, you'd need someone with a good idea for that I suppose.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:

lol yeah its like the retarded love child of Iron Man and Spawn XD

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The_Darkness said:
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:

I... Oh.

Oh.

Who in the world thought that was a good idea? What happened to the pink and blue Bomberman that we know and love?!
It get's worse.

SO MUCH WORSE.

1. They included a "First Person mode." Thankfully, they were not dumb enough to put an actual first person mode in a bomberman game, they did put in this really awkward third person mode that allows you to clearly see maybe a fifth of the stage, and will get you killed, a lot.

2. Half the time, you win because the enemy blew themselves up.

3. NO LOCAL MULTI-PLAYER. The only way to play is over Xbox live, and if the servers for this game are still running (let alone if anyone actually is playing it), I will laugh so hard.

4. To win, you have to beat 99 levels. In a row. No saving, no continues, they don't even give you codes. Besides maybe pausing (and having you Xbox over heat) you have to beat the game in ONE sitting.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
The smart pistol is pretty awesome actually. It really is a game changer considering how you have to approach different combat situations when you have it equipped.
You know you will be instantly destroyed if you go head to head with another pilot, so instead you have to keep out of sight and try to get the drop on people. If you get a full lock you kill them with one shot, whereas if you miss with another main weapon, you'll probably alert the pilot to your position and risk getting shot up instead. Given the speed of the game, the smart pistol really has its place in the arsenal.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
The_Darkness said:
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:

I... Oh.

Oh.

It get's worse.

SO MUCH WORSE.

1. They included a "First Person mode." Thankfully, they were not dumb enough to put an actual first person mode in a bomberman game, they did put in this really awkward third person mode that allows you to clearly see maybe a fifth of the stage, and will get you killed, a lot.

2. Half the time, you win because the enemy blew themselves up.

3. NO LOCAL MULTI-PLAYER. The only way to play is over Xbox live, and if the servers for this game are still running (let alone if anyone actually is playing it), I will laugh so hard.

4. To win, you have to beat 99 levels. In a row. No saving, no continues, they don't even give you codes. Besides maybe pausing (and having you Xbox over heat) you have to beat the game in ONE sitting.
I keep expecting this is some kind of elaborate joke....
But its too wide spread, and from legitimate sources too. This kind of thing is even beyond anon's usual level of antics.
Fuck...some one actually sat down and convinced someone that this might make money!
I'm not sure which is worse, someone thinking that it would make money, or someone would be sick enough to deceive a fellow human being that this would work.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
otakon17 said:
However, Seekers from Dark Souls are pretty overpowered from what I've seen.
Seekers (Or Pursuers as they are called)in Dark Souls isn't unbalanced on the simple reason that it has an insane Intelligance requirement.
All those points that go into that stat are points that aren't going to boosting health, endurance, resistance etc.
That means that any Scorcery-class build that is able to weild Seekers is pretty much a glass canon. Very little points to Endurance means shitty armor that can't absorb any damage what so ever. They can sure dish out some heavy damage with Pursuers but 2-3 hits with pretty much any decent weapon and they are literally dead as useless cheese. If you are on top of that using the TC-Catalyst you only get *ONE* shot with Pursuers which isn't really that difficult to deal with.

Already at lvl 100 a scorcerer class has to spend one third of their entire points to Intelligence which makes them immensly weak. Heck, one backstab and you're done for. And as all things in DS they are items that completely nullify Pursuers. The Spell Stoneplate Ring boosts your magic defense + Crest Shield +5 (which is available early-game) makes pretty much any spell entirely useless and any serious DS invader has those two in their arsenal.

I've spent hundreds of hours with Scorcery builds in DS and for the majority of the time it's not a walk in the park in duels. It serves *AS BEST* as a way to distract gankers leaving one off your back while you gain a few extra seconds.
But overpowered? Hell no.