The best animated films ever made

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
knight of some random number said:
The Lion king, I have nothing but the utmost respect for that film.

Also Akira. The animation is amazing for something made in 1988 and the story was just fantastic.

Also did anyone else find the dream sequence with the giant rabbits, to be really fucked up?
I found a lot of things about Akira fucked up.
But, yes, in between Tetsuo painting the walls with soldier organs and eventually turning into a disgusting ever-growing organical/mechanical mass, the sequence with the living toys (that's what you mean, right?) was kind of fucked up.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Aladdin
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Nightmare before Christmas
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
Animatrix
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Appleseed/Appleseed Ex Machina
Who framed Roger Rabbit
The Last Unicorn
Akira

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Wrds said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Naheal said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
I'm going to say...
Titan: AE.
One of the first animated films I remember seeing.
I was about to say... no mention of Titan: AE?
I know, it's severely underrated, too bad most good animated things are.
It's not underrated, it and Anastasia were highly acclaimed animations, due in no small part to Don Bluth's genius. Just Titan A.E. failed to appeal to people for some reason, it never became as popular as it should have been.
Absolutely, when I first saw it was the first time I had seen a movie try to reach a more mature audience, its unfortunate that only anime is ever able to reach an older audience in non comedic animation.

But, as much as I love Don Bluth, my favorite is still Lion King, even if it did rip of Kimba.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
yeah studio Ghibli has got me on this one, my two favourites are Princess Mononoké and...wait for it... Grave of the Fireflies.

Having said that Toy Story 3 took me by surprise, I really did enjoy it. The way that kids find it entertaining (I assume) and how the humour can appeal to adults, but having said that a lot of child entertainment normally has some thing perverse about it, not saying Toy Story did, but it's got adult humour in there.

I'm extremely tired hope it all makes sense. (At first I wrote sextremely, cheap lulz)

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
My own personal favourites.

Perfect Blue.
We Are The Strange.
Heavy Metal.
Animal Farm (1954)
Batman; Mask Of The Phantasm.
Akira.
What's Opera, Doc?
Metropolis (the animated version, obviously).

Films I liked but others would more readily recognize.

Up!
Coraline.
Ghost In The Shell.
Fantasia.
South Park, Bigger, Longer and Uncut.
Wall-E.
The Incredibles.
Spirited Away.

P.S.

One there to note from my personal list is "We Are The Strange", I like to spread the word of this movie because, even though it's not exactly amazing in terms of writing, direction, art style or even acting; it is impressive because it was a labor of love by a very small team under a very strict time limit. As such, it's a must-see for anyone hoping to do a similar project and always serves as inspiration for me whenever I hit a creative block.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Its almost too easy to sprout out all the good known ones.
Dont take me wrong, The Lion King is prolly my fav evah, and Pixar continues to make favorites, but there is one that needs mention.
The Secret of Nihm

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
bad rider said:
Bambi

Watership down

Both are awesome. x a million
Oh wow, I just nostalgiad hard.

Sovvolf said:
Or under-acknowledged would be another way to describe it. I don't think it was under appreciated or under rated. It's just the general populace of the mainstream didn't really give it much acknowledgement. Possible because the plot was a little more complexed than your average cartoon.
Ok, I'll give you that, although we're both right.

A few of Satoshi Kon's movies are really really good. Perfect Blue and Paprika were outstanding. I was really looking forward to his next movie coming out The Dream Machine. I wonder what will happen to it given his sudden death back in August.

Eve no Jikan is really good too, it was originally a series of short films or OVAs but was recently re-released as a movie. I think its something that all fans of animation should watch. It says a lot about the human condition and really makes you question what the true meaning of a soul is.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
ajofflight said:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
and
Howl's Moving Castle.
While I can't comment on Howl's Moving Castle (never seen it), you win for mentioning Mask of the Phantasm. I still watch it every now and then.

My other choices would be:

The Incredibles
The Wrong Trousers
A Close Shave
Toy Story

All great films.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Ferngully(sp?)

Avatar basically copied and pasted that movie. Even the trees look exactly the same.
Also the first animated film I'd ever seen.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
manythings said:
lee1287 said:
WALL.E

Because the story is so unique and the robot is so cute, but it's a robot and not a real thing! EEK! :D.

The land before time.

Because it was the the best film ever and made me cry, plus it was the first film i remember seeing (as a little kid anyway)
It's rare to make a character so emotive it transcends the need of dialogue.

OT: The animatrix had two good parts, The New Renaissance and A Detective Story. The rest were utter piss.

*Peruses collection* If we are talking from a purist point of view I can't really think of anything amazing beyond Kung Fu panda and the Pixar back catalogue (screw you A bug's life). If you are open to real actor animation fusion the new Appleseed (not new anymore) and a Scanner Darkly (RDJ is on my list with Christian Bale of actors who don't let you down).
Scanner Darkly isn't really animated though, it was filmed and then digitally rotoscoped.

Best animated film, Waltz With Bashir hands down.

Not just the best animated film but one of the best films of all time. Based on a true story that follows the director's attempt's to regain his memory from the 1982 Lebanon war secifically the events that led to the Sabra and Shatila refugee camp masacre. You may well struggle to find another film more emotional and depressing.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Arqus_Zed said:
- Fritz The Cat.
I just looked the trailer up on Youtube... Couldn't stand it when it got to the cat undressing a girl cat in a bath tub and I was like "What the hell? Nudity?!". That was just something I did not wanna see...

OT:

Up: A master piece of a Plot you think wouldn't work, with Actors that haven't been popular for a while, and a message so torn and out of shape it's become boring. All fixed up that it just brings tears to your eyes when you watch it. I highly recommend this film.
Yeah, well, that's pretty much what Fritz The Cat is all about: sex, drugs and rock 'n roll of the 60's. Sure as hell left a lasting impression on me - since it's an independent film, it gives a very unbiased image of the situation in that day and age. It liked it: original, bold, funny and crappy - but in an enjoyable way. A one of a kind that changed the way I looked at animation.

Of course, if you're offended by a set of badly drawn anthropomorphic feline mammeries... Then I suppose you'll have to get rid of the Victorian mindset first :)

And I really liked Up, but the movie's only a year old. I rather let a minimum of 3 years pass to see if it really had a lasting impression.

(that, and I don't like to include Pixar films in these lists. They are simply so unique and massive, that they are pretty much a genre on their own. It's like:

- "You want to watch an live-action or an animation movie?"

= "Bah, neither, i'd rather go watch a Pixar."

They're hard to compare with other films - not because they're 'sooo much better that all the rest', but more because they're so different in both story, budget, process and animation. They seem completely torn loose from all other animated films.)
Well I mean it's not like I haven't been curious and looked up a Furry or two in my life... I guess it's just the animation, it feels too childish I guess. Maybe if it was better animated looking, I'd have less a problem with it.

And besides, I rather like my Victorian Mind Set. Now pardon me my brethren of the Fan Fair of the Gaming Sub Culture, but I must currently attend to the viewing of the Sentient Were Wolves of the Fabled and very popular game that is known as the Planet of Violent Actions and Political Disagreement Creating.

(Now this is an okay furry)

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
Pom Poko - Brilliant animation, Great Story, Brilliant Acting and Very Memorable Scenes.

Spirited Away - Great Characters, Lovely Story and Lovely Music.

Grave of the Fireflies - Realistic Artwork, A Story that should be a Case Study for WWII History, Very Dramatic.

Iron Giant - Great Characters and Plot.

Prince of Egypt - Great Characters and Plot.

Toy Story Tilogy - Great Premise, Great Quality CG, Well-Rounded Series.

Shrek 1 and 2 - Great Premise and Great Humor.

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
this isnt in order and as an animation student theres alot more i could put in since im obsessed with the subject

toy story - Pixars first and made the world and disney realise that computer generated animation to tell stories is just as good as traditional

Wall-E - Pixars show off how good there animation actually is that they pretty much got rid of dialogue for the 2 main charecters ( which are robots) mind blowing stuff

UP! - beautiful charecters, loved the idea

The sword and the stone (disney) - this was the one that started it off me i knew after i watched this when i was 6-7 that i would want to do it

toy story 3 w/day and night short - i was a bit cautious of this one as i thought pixar would let me down but i have to say it was briliant if anyone can do sequals its pixar unlike some other animation studio who just rapes there best films, ahem dreamworks!

as for that short best short film of pixars in my opinion

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Hmmm, there's two that come to my mind. Mostly through a mix of evoked nostalgia and the fact that they're just plain good no matter what your background they're:

*When the wind blows (1986)-A film that cleverly combined traditional animation (It was done by the same bloke who did "The snowman" and you can see the similarities) with stop-motion animation. It told the story of a middle-aged couple in England who were caught up in the horrors of a nuclear attack, I can't really say much more lest I spoil the plot. The really good things about this film are the ways that the couple take everything in, trying to keep calm and not really knowing much about fallout, the impact of an atom bomb or the politics that led to it. Mind you I did feel a bit of nostalgia when watching it, growing up with the ABC I watched alot of English cartoons like "Postman Pat" and "Bob the builder" which had similar feels and the fact that, bar the fact that my grandfather is Polish and my grandmother is Australian, they're pretty much what my grandparents are like.

*Up (2009)-It's the simple, original and innocent story of an old man who straps balloons to his house to see the world before he dies. With just that in mind it would make a good movie, hand it over to Pixar and with a beautiful art style, heart string pulling, excellent music, lovable characters, hatable villains and overall just a positive outlook and happy demeanour you get every time you watch it it's turned into an excellent film. I think what makes this movie evoke a bit of nostalgia is the fact that it's just so childlike and innocent, it takes you back to those times.

Arisato-kun said:
A lot of the films I consider great have already been mentioned so I'll just include what I consider the greatest cinematic achievement of mankind.

-Snip-

Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance
Funnily enough they were playing that in cinemas when I went to Hong Kong, I recognized the poster (No, I didn't see it).