The BEST FPS game of all time [your opinoins]

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Sun Flash said:
How many people still play the original Halo, or Doom on a regular basis?
I still play Doom. Sure it's probably the least sophisticated FPS this side of Wolfenstein 3D, but it is still the one man army FPS, and the freedom of movement given by the level design puts most current generation titles to shame.

Oct 2, 2010
Sun Flash said:
Golden Eye - N64

It's stood the test of time, I spent most of the last academic year playing multiplayer tournies in my school's common room. Best times. How many people still play the original Halo, or Doom on a regular basis?
I not only still play but actually prefer Halo CE over its successors.

If anything, I'd argue it's aged far better than GoldenEye, since its control scheme hasn't really been improved upon in the intervening nine years; GoldenEye has been directly improved upon.

And Doom hasn't aged poorly either; it's fundamentally different from modern FPS games, and it's got a fairly simple structure that in some ways can't be directly improved upon.
Not exactly the same thing, but I've just started trying out the Marathon series, and it's not bad either (though the first game is a little sketchy).

edit:
Sixcess said:
I still play Doom. Sure it's probably the least sophisticated FPS this side of Wolfenstein 3D
You write as though that's a problem. I wouldn't mind modern shooter developers learning where and when simplicity is a beneficial thing.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Half Life 2 with episodes.

I could say HL1, Deus Ex or Red Faction, but i don't need to boost up my ego by saying "i like games commonly thought to be ultimate classics of genre".

Spaceparanoid42

Oct 29, 2010
Tough decision. I've played a lot of great FPSs. Half-Life, Bioshock, System Shock 2, Doom, Portal...

Actually I'd have to say that my favorite FPS of all time is System Shock 1. So many people talk about SS2, and I really think SS1 needs more love! I got it to work on my computer and played it for the first time about a year ago. I was completely floored by how totally immersed in the game I was, and how the dated visuals, controls, and sound did nothing to lower that immersion in the slightest. Complex gameplay, kick-ass soundtrack, great story, incredible graphics for it's time, never has any other retro game sucked me in like that!

With no nostalgia filter, I can honestly say that System Shock 1 may very well be the best game I have ever played in my life.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ciortas1 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Actually, if those games were not released, some others would've filled in the spots for the innovations they made. It's a simple truth of advancement.

Again, I'm simply saying that your favourite game should measure up to your standards. If you have no need to experience your favourite game beyond reliving it in your memories, I have reason to heavily doubt whether it's even close to your favourite at all.

It does not matter, at all, who or what was the first to do something first, what matters is who did it the best. The older games should of course receive credits for whatever innovation they bring in, that however does not make up for any flaws whatsoever it has compared to the here and now.
ciortas1 said:
Must... Resist... Flaming... People who say it's Goldeneye...

Half-life 2.
Tell me. Why is Half-Life 2 your favorite game? It uses an outdated engine, its AI, graphics, facial animation - pretty much everything has been surpassed by other modern FPS titles. Narrative devices like lack of cutscenes have also been adopted by nearly all standard FPS. Depth of story? Nothing compared to, say, BioShock. Why would it still rate as your favorite?

I'll be waiting.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
DigimonReachOfficial said:
The reason for this is because it is very different to the normal FPS we have become used to which mainly envolves just running with a gun and shooting sombody in the head.
Borderlands for the very same reason. It's an involving FPSRPG and I can't get enough of it. There's enough flexibility and diversity in each class to make multiple runs interesting and the Action Skills are fun to play around with. Plus, Nine Toes (He also has 3 balls).

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
Goldeneye 007 for the N64.
This is my answer too. It revolutionized the genre, and it still holds up. The only other game in the race for me is Star Wars: Dark Forces. And I don't say this out of nostalgia; I would still rather play either of these games over most modern FPSs, because I just plain enjoy them more even today.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Time splitters: future perfect.

Its brilliant, and insanely weird. The guns weren't all the same black/brown and grey. They all felt totally unique. The playable characters were as hilarious as they were unique too. It was just a FPS that doesn't get stale.

My only dream would be for more maps for it, and online multiplayer. That would've sold me for it.

fingerbang143

Dec 21, 2010
I'm enjoying Black ops alot right now but I'm enclined to say halo 3 or 1 (dont judge halo 2 didn't do it for me)