The BEST FPS game of all time [your opinoins]

MulticolorCharizard

Nov 14, 2010
Hey fanboys! Perfect Dark was essentially just a retread of Goldeneye's ground!

OT: I would probably say system shock 2. For it's atmostphere story and gameplay, it kicks ass.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
For single player, I really can't chose... The Half Life's and CoD4 are up there

For multiplayer: I just love Battlefield Bad Company 2

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Halo 2, very closely followed by Call of Duty 4.

Halo 2 multiplayer was, for it's time, a console miracle. It was just... oh man it was good. The ultimate skill shooter, where "glitches" like BXR turned into the best test of dexterity and skill. That to me is what makes a great shooter, skilled players rise to the top and there's very little random bullshit. That is Halo 2 in a nutshell.

CoD4 was similar, in that there was only a small amount of random bullshit. Skilled players always rose to the top, even in the face of 3x Frag spamming whores.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
dsmops2003 said:
Rise of the Triad lol!
Ahhh Ludicrous Gibs, nice. I remember the first time I used the rocket launcher in ROTT (it was shareware too). I got the eyeball and I was hooked.

OT. For mine it would be System Shock 2 except SS2 is an RPG much more than it an FPS, probably why I hated Bioshock so much was that it was System Shock 2 without the RPG elements, without the horror, without the depth, and without Shodan.

So I'll nominate the game that was an improvement on the game that out-Half-Lifed Half-Life. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in Harms Way. When the original NOLF came out it had better graphics than Half-Life, better AI than Half-Life, a better story than Half-Life, a better protagonist than Half-Life, and it did it all with a tongue firmly in it's cheek. Sneaking around to overhear the conversations between random NPC's is a game worth playing itself, let alone participating in the rollicking spy spoof that is the main story. NOLF 2 brought better stealth to the game and then made it optional, as well as a slight graphics update and even more outrageous characters. The best FPS (that isn't System Shock 2) of all time.

EDIT: Special props to Far Cry right up until the moment you meet the Trigen, then it just becomes blah.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Definitely Goldeneye, no other first person shooter brings back warm and awesome memories than that game. MW2 is but a shit smear under my boot compared to it.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Doom 2.

I prefer single player games and Doom 2 was perfectly balanced and so focused. No jumping, no looking up and down, hardly any story, just pointing and shooting. The greatest thing about Doom 2, and something I'm yet to see bettered is the way you could mow down whole rooms full of enemies. In every game from Quake onwards the enemies became more detailed, so I guess harder to render, meaning less enemies on screen at one time. Also the timing of the weapon fire in Doom 2 was perfect.

Close second is Left for Dead 2. That game makes me want to go to New Orleans.

EDIT: Also, Doom 2 over Doom for the inclusion of the double-barrelled shotgun. With one new weapon, a few new textures and couple of new enemies they made one of the best games of all time (Doom) somehow seem twice as good (Doom 2). And their level design is still being copied today.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
ciortas1 said:
If you wouldn't play it now, it's no longer your favourite. Simple logic.
It is the FPS that I have had the most fun playing ever. I cannot put it in simpler terms. Maybe you don't agree with me, maybe you're trying to start a flame war, I don't know. But that's where the chips fall.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ciortas1 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Simple. The fact I can play through the entire campaign in one or two sittings or easily spend hours in a match on HL2: Deathmatch. The reasons shouldn't matter as I'm not basing it on nostalgia, or what that game was for its time or whatever, I'm enjoying it without giving it any extra points for introducing the level of facial animation or graphics that were mindblowing for its time.
And thus, I should point it out to you, people base their judgement on multiple factors that you may not consider. I particularly loved Half-Life 2 for the level designs, environmental storytelling and the various narrative devices employed. Many games have aped them, but haven't been able to evoke the same feeling of novelty in me. So don't be surprised if someone else's view differs from yours, because obviously there are many angles to see it from.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Battlefield 2 of Team Fortress 2
Both are great team-based games (MW2 is NOT a team based game) with great maps and well, game play.
Just my opinion :)

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
its between these 3

Unreal tournament (im talking about the original, not the grr argh im so manly while being somewhat gangster fest we see today from the main story), seriously that game kicked arse on multilayer. The countless hours i spent just kicking arse was awesome, still i havent been bothered to reinstall this on my new computer yet.

Quake 1 or 3, seriously one of the best multilayer games ive seen.

there both on par with each other.

for the best single player one well to be honest i havent played all to many of those,

system shock 2 or half life 1 should suffice for my choices here.