The best way to make someone believe you've gone insane.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Make up fake stories.

"Hey Tommy, remember that time we went to China?"

"What the hell are you talking-"

"We killed all those cats and then hid them in my basement. Then I cut off my fingers and you ate them?"

"This never hap-"

"And then *CENSORED*"

"O_O"

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
Some of the stuff in this thread just sorta seems like silly fun but if you're genuinely trying to convince people you are insane you might want to think about the gravity of what you're doing. Insanity is a horrific, destructive illness which causes people extreme mental anguish, just something to think about.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
during a "clean up on isle derp" in the store, get on the floor , curl up and say:

"NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOT THE VOICES AGAIN!!!!"

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
-Hysterical laughter. Which I am rather prone to.

-Not finishing your sentences.

-Blame a mysterious outside force for all your problems. Don't name it or anything, just say things like "It won't leave me alone!" and "It just doesn't shut up!" Also tell people what "it" is saying every now and again.

-Whenever someone annoys you, speak in a voice that is a hybrid of Andy Serkis as Gollum and Mike Patton as The Darkness. Then laugh in their faces (in character.)

-Random bursts of acting.

-Occasional bouts of casual violence.

All tried and true methods.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
Mentally unstable people can't do military service here, and before they made it so it wasn't mandatory anymore, people would try to fake mental illness. I once met a psychiatrist who worked at the interviews who said that people went overboard with their faking. Real crazy people don't sit and rant - that's such a late stage in the process that they've surely been medicated before that stage. Signs of real mental illness were things like sitting a little too close, lacking emotional response to things the interviewer said, and other subtle things.

Start going apeshit and people will know you're faking.

About 115 Ninjas

Aug 13, 2009
I buy Pokemon games, play WoW, eat Taco Bell while totally sober and drive a Sebring.

Usually works, and I don't even have to bring up the fact that Master Chief sits next to me and Gazoo won't leave me alone.

Or just start shouting at walls.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
repetition usually helps. I didn't want to do any work for a project with this girl I knew was all to well of a jerk so I sat in my chair like L does, Did the carmelldansen ear hands and repeated the phrase "THE WHITE PONY SAVES." She did my part of the project.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I already talk to myself. I remember funny things I've seen and smile for no obvious reason. Three hundred years ago I would have been burned as a warlock. If you talked to yourself back then, you weren't talking to yourself, you were talking to the Devil.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
"listen"/talk to the voices in your head, occasionally shaking/smacking your head to "get the voices out", etc

also, quote HK47 every now and then... "all these squisy parts! all that water! how the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad!"

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Don't bath. Wear clothing from Salvation Army. Ride a bus or other means of public transportation. Face a window with in a fetal position on a seat. Repeatedly babble at your reflection about being a whore till desired level of insanity is shown.

True story.

breadsammich

May 5, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Doing something of this nature...

This man speaks wisdom. And profanities.

Beat nine people to death with a steel dildo (maniac)
Beat nine people to death with a steel dildo while wearing a bugs bunny outfit (crazy person)

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It was very easy in the old days. There was an experiment done in the 60's - perfectly sane psychology students were told to persuade the mental health physicians to allow them to be committed. All they had to do was say "I hear a voice in my head that says Thunk". That was it. That's all they said: "I heard a voice in my head that says thunk. Just thunk. Nothing else", and they got committed (voluntarily, of course).

Now, depression and schizophrenia are real diseases, but they aren't that difficult to fake. Depression, I have it on good authority, is supremely easy to fake. Just walk into a doctors office, put on an emotionless, blank face and adopt a monotone and say "I oversleep and sometimes undersleep. I'm under a lot of stress. I zone out all the time. Sometimes I just stare at the walls. I have no energy to do anything. I don't know what's happening to me. I've been feeling this way for a long time". As long as you can act reasonably well, just rattle off the symptoms and they'll diagnose you with depression

(once again, I am at pains to point out that Depression IS a real sickness, it's just one that is EASILY faked by anyone who knows how to act even remotely competently)

As for faking a mental illness like schizophrenia - it can be done. Claim to hear voices. Don't over-react and say that the voices are telling you that you are the emperor of Mars (at least not yet). Just say that you hear random voices saying things about you. To really put on a show, claim that they are not voices at all, but that people are talking about you behind your back. When talking to the doctor, randomly stop and stare angrily and say "WHAT did you just say about me?"

Of course please DON'T actually do this - while it is relatively easy to fake insanity it is NOT easy to convince them that you are really sane. Once they decide that you are crazy, your actual sanity is dismissed as "an act" to get out of the hospital. Plus, faking mental illness takes money and time away from treating those WITH actual mental illness. It's a selfish thing to do, and it's not respectful to those who actually are sufferers.

So while it is reasonably easy to fake insanity/depression/eccentricity, it is

1) Selfish - you take up the doctor's time and you divert resources away from treating those with actual illnesses
2) Dangerous - your fake illness might be taken VERY seriously. Those who fake mental incapacity to avoid jail often regret it as they are then stuck in an asylum, and let me tell you it is NOT fun to be in a mental asylum. I've never been, but I've worked near one at the PA Hospital. You could hear the screams through the lab walls. Also, it can be very difficult to convince the doctors that you are sane, once they've decided you are crazy. They might also force you to take medication with nasty, NASTY side-effects.
3) Unnecessary - there are better ways of getting attention/getting out of work/getting into an asylum. The only reason anyone would want to fake a mental illness is if they are facing life in jail or the death penalty, or if they need to get away from the mob.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Smile like a nutjob at everyone you see, talk to yourself in different voices/have one-sided conversations like you were talking on the phone, and rock back and forth a little bit. This will get you a pair of bus seats all to yourself.

Going for actually clinically insane, is a lot more stupid and a bit more complicated. Just look up the symptoms for whatever mental illness you want and mimic them.

Pojo-san

Sep 21, 2010
When you are in elevator with people in it( preferably a large number of people), start hitting your head with heel of you palm. While doing this start muttering, "Shut up! Shut up! All of you shut up!" Anything that indicates you are hearing voices will work. As you are muttering these lines start raising your voice steadily from whispering to normal speaking volume and then to shouting. This will get people to edge away from you and hope that the elevator will stop at their floor soon. Remember to act realistic though.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Whenever I just start laughing for no reason, my friends all look at me, then each other, then me again, and wait for me to stop.

Then they give me the nice and snug white jacket and tell me everything's going to be okay.
Then I laugh again.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.