The Big Picture: Batfleck

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
So, can we please move on from Batman and go to another character that can be more interesting? How about we see a Larfleeze movie.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
MovieBob said:
Batfleck

MovieBob gives us the ins and outs of the new Batman and his alter ego Ben Affleck.

Watch Video
You have good points and Ben Affleck is a great talent but let me comment on this whole batman as vengeance against hope things.

The times are changing; the world has become more dark and painful as even with all the advances in science, our humanity has become more chaotic in war, politics, and isolation. If I was to make a superhero movie, it would be a deconstruction with brutality in both visuals and tone of Eva. Many things that people like have so much tied to many things that we hate and there are no true paragons; a movie that rips into the beloved heroes such as superman could work but only if you are willing to destroy all of the tropes and rebuild him.

Yes, Batman as vengeance and ideological enemy has ruined comics but at the same time, I would rather have a story that rips and tears into what we love than a story of hope, optimism and triumph
This is the funniest thing i have seen in weeks man. You made my day. The mock pretention mixed with a pretend complete missunderstanding of the world put together in one comment is just genious. The last lets say 15 years being worse than the fifteen years, where world war 2, the holocaust, internment camps, the dust bowl and great depression were happening. Hysterical. You sir are truely a master of dry satire and wit. I may have missed it if you hadn't made sure to tip your hand a little bit with the Eva reference. Dude i am almost crying right now I can't believe you don't have a show yet.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I say give Afleck a chance. He couldn't do any worse a job than George Clooney, and really I don't think it was Clooney's performance that ruined Batman & Robyn. Just everything else.

And incidentally why exactly are we so fixated by a dark brooding individual with enough money to buy his way out of any given situation?

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
I'd still like to here a single example of Ben Affleck putting in a 'great' performance. Anyone care to name a film that might change my mind about his acting skills?
His direction/writing is fine but I've never seen him act better than mediocre in anything.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Its a good choice to make me feel very neutral about bat vs super rather than a bit negative. I didn't mind the last man of super film it was nothing special but nothing fantastic, hopefully they'll pll it together for the next installment.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Disclaimer: I <3 Batman

...But Who can really use the trite "Batman can win any fight if he had a week to prepare" bullshit and expect to be taken seriously at this point? This argument does NOT help Batman's case. So Batman really needs a week's worth of intel and preparation just to be on par with his opponent, despite already having an apparently endless fortune with access to the best tech available? Batman's intellect is fearsome, but in no way invincible. I agree that Batman's Psychological gambits are superior (and this is why fans love him) with a possible exception of Professor X (who lacks Batman's attitude), but the Fantastic Four out science Batman on a daily basis. Hell, even Iron Man can do that if he'd just put the Vodka down. Batman's intensity rivals Wolverine's but does not surpass it, and I dare say it is inferior to Superman's. (Seriously, how many times have we've seen Superman pissed off?) So what is so special about Batman that he gets an impossibly advantageous handicap while his opponents are supposed to just go in blind? People don't SERIOUSLY STILL use this argument by now, do they?

I think the problem here is people lack a sense of scope in these Comic Book Duels.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Funnily enough, Bob's Boston accent is particularly present in this video.

Where'd you park the car Bob?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
canadamus_prime said:
And incidentally why exactly are we so fixated by a dark brooding individual with enough money to buy his way out of any given situation?
because thats the kind of person everyone wants to be
I find that rather sad really. Batman certainly isn't the (anti)Hero I'd like to be like.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I can't say that I was excited by the prospect of Afflek as Batman. But hearing he could direct one of them is a fair bit more promising.

In the end, I'm really neutral on the news. People keep comparing him (and the reaction to him) to Heath Ledger as the Joker. Personally, I think it's closer to Chris Evans. Ledger had no previous role as a well known superhero or villain. Chris Evans however, was Johnny Storm, the Human Torch. How many people forgot that? But they cast him as Captain America and he owned that role. And I could see someone complaining about that casting (I know Blockbuster Buster has gone on record as both hating the idea and admitted he was wrong). Affleck was cast as Daredevil and one could certainly understand why that doesn't inspire confidence.

I suppose time will tell. Will he excel and be remembered fondly for defining the role? Or hated for not getting the character?

Though, I'd rather he not ham it up too much. A big part of Batman is his grief and personal issues. Keeping it along the lines of the Animated series from the 90's and Justice League cartoon would probably be for the best. Keep him serious, but let him have some humanity.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I'm pretty sure Afleck would make a great Batman. The guy is a good actor with a big presence. I haven't liked anyone who has played Batman since Michael Keaton... but at the same time I didn't like those movies either. One of the problems with the Batman movies is the people making them try to squeeze "epic saga" into a short run time. It just comes out cheesy in the end. Too many characters and so on.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Ben Afleck as Batman, not feeling it. I don't get where you see talent. Yeah, he can be amusing, I've enjoyed some of the movies in which he's starred or supported, but not because of anything he had to offer, and in a lot of cases he was dead weight being carried by the rest of the cast and careful direction. His regularly wooden presence on-cscreen is akin in my mind to a slightly jocular and much more perfunctory version of Keanu Reeves, but I can at least take Keanu more seriously, and I mean this in the professional sense more than as a performance commentary. I realize a less serious Batman appeals to you, and I'm fine with the idea myself, but rather than lightening the role or the film with his personality Afleck often conveys no genuine screen presence, as if at any moment he'll either start laughing at his lines or breaking character ala Jimmy Fallon or inexplicably break the fourth wall. Sure he doesn't do that, but he leaves me feeling most of the time as if he will.

And let's not sit on street cred, shall we? Let's face it, Argo was a love letter to the pretentious and sycophantic Oscar crowd and should carry as much weight as the Nobel Prize; it's a title that, like gold, is only as valuable as someone arbitrarily decides it is, and unlike gold is handed out much more readily to those who do not deserve it... well actually a lot like gold I guess.

I've been good at keeping an open mind, but on this I cannot. Ben Afleck is an untalented and derivative performer woefully more successful and adulated than he deserves to be. Your somewhat fawning introduction and recognition of him as a performer only cements, at least evidently so, that rather than genuinely wondering why people aren't enthusiastic about this announcement you are genuinely interested in defending it. I would say to each their own, but since your voice is louder than mine and you've taken a clear position on this matter here there's nothing I can offer other than my own even more trivial opinion.

My 2¢.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
I suppose in the context of The Green Lantern and The Man Of Steel, Ben Affleck as Batman makes a kind of sick sense. Congratulations Warner Brothers, I take my hat off to you for sticking to your guns. And standards.

Low, low standards. I hereby change my stance to "Looking Forward To" this... erm, interesting take on The Worlds Greatest Detective.