The Big Picture: E3-mageddon: Crossover

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Silverspetz said:
Right, and which "Group of people" might that be? This isn't exactly the civil rights movement here people, and I should hope that there isn't a single person who actually Thinks the x-box Live trashtalk is "ok" and Worth defending.

The fact that people look at this and go "Bob hates people for liking something he doesn't" says a whole lot more about THEIR level of maturity than it does his. Bob doesn't like certain trends in video-games and what they say about the gaming Community as a whole, big fucking deal. I don't Think that is an excuse for people to go completely blind and miss the obvious, that Bob's characters are extremely broad stereotypes played up for Comedy. Yet people still blow it up as if he took the constitution and burned it.
I think either you misunderstood what I was getting at or I didn't properly explain it.
Instead of Bob mocking and parodying Dudebro's with a humorous and poignant point it feels more like a rant going "This sucks, if you think like this you suck" and yes I'd agree with the sentiment that people who act like that are almost universally terrible, but it's not funny as with Kevin Smith any point or joke made is just drowned out by the seething anger that he has towards the thing he's raging about.

Also let's talk about the extreme stereotypes angle, it's valid one I suppose but the trouble is if you go too extreme with it your character becomes indistinguishable from the thing your mocking, also even then just because something is an extreme stereotype that doesn't by itself make it "funny", it needs to have a point a payoff, just going "I am a white over privileged male in my mid 30's " in and of itself is not a joke, it has no setup no payoff, the "multi-dudes and multitudes" was closer to an actual joke.

In the end though humor is subjective and this style of comedy apparently doesn't appear to work here with this crowd
and thanks for the insult but I never said or implied anything about maturity or how it relates to Bob.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I'm sort of with the Game Overthinker on this one. Out of all the days so few this one has been my favourite in terms of news because there seems to be a lot of fun on display, granted my opinion is based solely on the news articles that the escapist gives me so there's only so informed my pinion can be described as

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
Well I'm glad that 6 minutes of that episode was devoted entirely to uninteresting character introductions rather than actually talking about anything relevant.

This may be biased because honestly, ever since story came into The Game Overthinker I've just hated it. It seems so forced and Bob may be a decent movie critic but he cannot make the series story driven at all. Then, while I agree with some of the points he was trying to make with the Anti-Thinker because corporate games are sort of in that direction, I also think that just using a strawman was completely lazy. Then having Ivan say "IVAN LIKES INDIE GAMES" over and over almost devalued indie games as a whole. It's like he's using the character to be a stand-in for the 18-25 year old more "hipster" demographic and saying that though they like indie games they don't really understand it (At least that's what I took from it, though I may have been looking too far into it). And I just think that deriding E3 as a whole as a corporate event is kind of dumb, because everyone knows that's what it is. It's a chance for game companies to show off the stuff they have coming down the pipeline to get journalists and consumers excited, as well as let out sales numbers to make stockholders happy.

I dunno, while I like Moviebob he's slowly been grating on me and this episode just seemed wholly like a filler episode to kill time.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Just because other people like things that you don't, does not mean you are morally superior to them. And even if it did, it still doesn't give you the right to degrade them is such a way. Call of Duty players are not evil, sexist homophobes, they're just people who happen to like the gameplay. Yes, some of them are the kind of morally reprehensible people nerd culture has made them out to be. But I also know lots of guys who like Call of Duty, and who are perfectly nice people.

Yes, I get that the Anti-Thinker is meant to be parody, but here's the thing. While the exaggerated CoD fan is a sexist asshole, the (maybe) exaggerated Nintendo fan wants more creativity. If you're going to take the South Park approach of making people look like idiots, at least have the decency to make both sides equally idiotic.

It'd be really easy too. For instance, make the retrogamer demand nothing but old-school platformers while dismissing experimental indie stuff because they're not "games". It'd still be in bad taste, but at least it wouldn't be as horribly biased.

Look, I really like your analytical stuff, even if I don't always agree with you. But what you're doing here is taking cheap shots at people who can't fight back. Essentially, you're bullying.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Scrumpmonkey said:
He was basically just there to tell people they should feel bad for owning a penis and being white in the most lazy, broadly drawn and superior way possible. Because, you know, that makes you a terrible person now.
That is not even close to what Mr. Chipman said. He very specifically and explicitly said he is talking about misogynists, racists, and xenophobes. If what you actually heard is that you are a bad person for being white and male, then that is a matter to take up with your conscience, not to falsely attribute to someone else.

Jun 26, 2010
JimB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
He was basically just there to tell people they should feel bad for owning a penis and being white in the most lazy, broadly drawn and superior way possible. Because, you know, that makes you a terrible person now.
That is not even close to what Mr. Chipman said. He very specifically and explicitly said he is talking about misogynists, racists, and xenophobes. If what you actually heard is that you are a bad person for being white and male, then that is a matter to take up with your conscience, not to falsely attribute to someone else.
In my opinion, you hit the nail on the head here. It seems most people disliked the video for it's style, but for those taking issue with the Anti-Thinker, it does seem a little bit like a bit of a backlash because of the possible reflection to their own mindset. But I could be wrong.

Personally, I enjoyed the video, and as someone who has never heard of this side of Bob's work before (probably why I'm more accepting of the concept, to those who already have an opinion formed) I found it interesting.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I'm sure this is great for the people who appreciate whatever this video is referencing, but I didn't make it to the prediction section. I found the attempt at comedy and the references to things I haven't seen to be painfully unfunny, and tapped out pretty fast. It certainly didn't make me curious.

Guy Gizmo

Jun 10, 2014
"I'm a white male in my early thirties living in the suburbs with copious disposable income and, not by accident, very few actual life responsibilities. And my primary interests in entertainment are aggressively violent mono-dimensional simulations of retrograde masculine power fantasies for me to seize upon as an outlet for my reflexive hatred of those different than me and deeply ingrained misogyny, and to provide catharsis for my fears of change, paralyzing sexual insecurity, and looming dread that I am adrift and without purpose in an evolving post-patriarchal society that may well have no genuine use for the likes of me.

So basically, the video game industry very rarely lets *me* down!"

God I love this. It's one of my favorite quotes now.

Is anti-thinker a straw-man? Yes. But it's not like straw-men have no legitimate uses. In this case it's an incredibly effective way of describing a lot of what's wrong with the video game industry right now, and what it's describing is a very real phenomenon. And it doesn't mean that if you like Call of Duty or Halo that you're a misogynistic racist dullard man-child, so everyone just chill out.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Bob please keep your shitty Overthinker sketches out of your decent videos. You would think that with them being bad enough for blip to cancel your show you would have gotten the hint already.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
This was the worst video I've ever seen on the site.

Poorly shot, annoying, weird, bad quality video, visually unappealing, intellectually bad, and poorly paced felt like I was watching something from 2008. Also it had no overall message or any type of succinct commentary or point to make, It was just not very good.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I really enjoyed the change of pace here.

It took me about a minute to see where the Game Overthinker stuff was coming from conceptually but once I got the idea it was pretty funny to watch, moreso when given context with appearance actual MovieBob.

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
I couldn't watch even a quarter of the way through. Please, never let anything like this happen again. I want to like The Big Picture, but if I have to wonder if stuff like this is gonna happen in it, I'll find another source for that kind of thing -just like I replaced your Escape to the Movies with Jeremy Jahns.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Okay that got boring really fast.

Is this video any good? If so give me a timestamp where it stops being annoying. If not then Imma gonna go rewatch the Palutena reveal trailer.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bob and his multiple personalities. Also Retro-Thinker pretty much nailed why I don't pay attention to E3. It's a bunch of smoke and mirrors, hot air and promises. Also style of substance etc. etc.