The Big Picture: Fair Game

Matthew Wilson

Apr 27, 2010
I actually came across a Lost Planet Fanboy on youtube, the comments on a LP2 Let's Play started with someone saying the crosshair looked like a smiley face. This lead to an argument with this fanboy saying there's nothing wrong with the crosshair and the first guy repeatedly saying he wasn't calling it a bad thing but the fanboy wouldn't listen.
It was actually quite humorous in a pathetic kind of way.

In regards to the topic I guess I'll say I'm a fanboy to Sandbox games so I guess that means I hate level based games which isn't true as I love games like Heavy Rain and CoD just as much as GTA and RDR.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
What are those two cartoon dudes from? They look really familiar and it's DRIVING ME UP THE WALL.

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
This is why I love The Escapist and The Middle Ground (a forum for a site that hosts several sprite comics and two drawn comics, all but three being sonic-related in some way)

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
No Bob, we can't. And once you're done reading through the comments on your own video you'll know why.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Hey, Bob never was shy to admit that he's a Nintendo worshiper as the Game OverThinker, so props to him for that.

Also.
Just add "IMHO" to everything you write. Works for me.

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
Finally someone says that.
Is ok to be a fanboy if you are, but liking something doesn't make you a fan and neither a hater of opposite things

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Now that you've called me a fanboy, my loner complex demands that I disagree with you.

There is a danger to extreme opinions. Not everyone can be trusted to remain calm and peaceful when someone disagrees with them over a controversial issue, or over their own opinion. You can look at cases in history in which extreme devotions to concrete beliefs and customs led to conflict and widespread chaotic calamity. (i.g. Nazism, The Crusades, the KKK etc.)

It's better to have a mutual, if uneasy, discretion and timidity against controversy than to have disorder.

(Who am I kidding, I'm most certainly a fan-boy and I agree with you, but I love debates and I challenged myself to defend the opposite position.)

But still, some people are stupid/violent and should keep their opinions to themselves.

Stillve

Sep 19, 2009
WOPR said:
Whoa bro, you still have that problem? I read the thread you made earlier, how about ignoring them completely? Simple solution.
That ''Halo Fanboy'' subculture type thing is just people expecting others to like what they do just because they're part of this group where it's the norm...hivemind thinking, which we all do a little, but it's the ignorant folks that try to 'convert' everyone they meet, like religion. (ooh touchy subject) :O

Also it isn't pretentious of you to mention conforming to the norm methinks, because the norm is, at times and places, complete bullshit.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Ashoten said:
Woot! Now I can say I love the Star Wars prequels without being told that the originals were better.
I know! It's so liberating!

Once again, Bob raises a good point. My only beef? He said "objective opinion", which doesn't exist. If it's your opinion, it is by nature subjective.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Yes i do agree there is a entire army of trolls out there, and i also agree with on the entire one-sided thing, *facepalm*

Matroska Yorgavishk

Dec 21, 2009
ummm a fanboy is someone who's fandom defies logic and is generally an unhealthy thing, and a troll is someone who picks fights on the internet because they can. it has nothing to do with fairness, it's just that fanboys are easy to pick on by trolls.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Biased Movie Bob fanboys for the win!

I hate this whole fanboyism crap too. If I want to like something then I will. If I want want to dislike something then I'll do that to. Is it so hard to understand that people have fucking opinions?

person427

May 28, 2009
I've been a fan boy of yours since I saw one of your videos for the first time. That's not news to me.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, Bob's show is good, but in fairness, I can't make my mind up about anything, and have not only a stick but an entire fence up my ass!

Tortured, convoluted, and horribly mashed metaphorical statements aside, the Fairness Doctrine could be reimplemented, but it just kinda has this terribly bland and banhammer-y feel to it. It might encourage other opinions to come about, but it does nothing for respecting or honoring the opinion. It's that same reason that we have all those people who tell people they believe in a bundle of noodles, googly eyes, and two ball-shaped clumps of unspecified meat as some kind of deity, instead of the outlandish metaphor that it was supposed to be. From the whole concept of fair play, I now have to listen to these obviously enlightened individuals in a discussion on religion.

Though, personally, I will always make sure everyone is aware that the Invisible Pink Unicorn is the only possible deity.

trogdor393

Dec 20, 2010
this truly is a problem and i for one think it should be stopped. but knowing how the webs work its not gona happen. anyway great vid bob!

gilgamesh32

Dec 29, 2008
Wow. I have followed Bob since back when he started GO on youtube, for better or worse. I most certainly used to call myself a fan, but as time went by it seems like all his shows have gotten worse. More generalisations, morestrawmen, more trolling... and now it finally happened: I loathe him. "Verb" you Bob.

P.S people don't call you a nintendo fanboy due to some arbitrary internet rule, nor do they cal you it in order to troll you. Get over yourself.