The Big Picture: Going Green, Part II

Mar 28, 2011
JoelChenFA said:
nothingspringstomind said:
Thanks Bob! I'm getting a tonne of Green Lantern collections this Christmas including Rebirth and Blackest Night, and you've enthused me even more.

Cyborg Superman as a Red Lantern? Even cooler than scarecrow.
Wow. Isn't christmas in December? You must be part of the Black lantern corp with all this long term planning.
Yeah me and the missus usually start planning Christmas about now.

That way we get more stuff in one year than we ever got in both our childhoods combined.

Gonna end when we start having kids so we live it up now while we have no dependables.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
MovieBob said:
So in effect, ten years of fanboy whining was worth it, sort of. Do you really think they would of done the Blackest Night, which was basically the cleverest excuse to bring every single character from... ever, if the whole Green Lantern fiasco never happened? Or find a way to bring Batman back from the not dead?
They had already done it on a smaller scale, which works as a GREAT bit of foreshadowing to Blackest Night long before Hal came back to the role.

In Green Lantern Annual #7 Kyle Rayner discovers a living Abin Sur who tells him that he should be dead, and is soon set upon by the dead Green Lantern corp, all living and all under the control of Nekron. They have Death-Powered Power Rings and Kyle is at this time the ONLY Green Lantern.

So he fights a veritable army on his own before finally getting the drop on Nekron (and I do mean drop, Nekron is way to powerful for any single hero to beat straight up. Even the overpowered ones) and Nekron says he'll be back.

Annual #7 was in it's basics, a prototype for Blackest Night except before the Emotional Spectrum existed and on a smaller (by which I mean only 3000ish Black Lanterns instead of a whole universe full of them) scale.

Also another note is that the idea for a 'Corp War' was also not Geoff Johns idea, or at least he wasn't the first person to come up with it.

In issues 120-124 of Green Lantern Volume 3 Kyle Rayner is shot, and then put in his own little dreamworld by The Controllers, who can be considered the Guardians if the Guardians were even BIGGER pricks than they already are. And trust me the Guardians are dicks.

The dream world depicted shows a New Oa with a new Green Lantern Corp, Ganthet is still around as the Guardian and the entire planet is much more full of life than the original. Anyway the Corp not only protects space but also fights against the Controllers who have their own Corp the Effigy Corp.

Effigy was a Supervillain of Kyle Rayners who was just like him, in the right place at the right time, when the controllers abducted him and reconstructed his body to have flame powers that could create constructs. So yeah an entire Corp filled with those guys. Ontop of that each of the Effigy Corp were people from Kyle's past, even if they shouldn't be around. a Manhunter Robot he had killed, Fatality who he had seen die (Twice in fact, Fatality never stays dead, or rather was never killed) etc. etc.

It all turned out to be a controller enduced figment of his imagination right? well... not exactly.

See Kyle is still seeing weird things and realizes the Controllers are still trying to influence him, so he flys to space and confronts Effigy who's been stripped of all his will and mearly repeats "I serve the controllers" when Kyle is captured by the Controllers he awakens to find that they HAVE constructed an Effigy Corp, and they intend to do the same thing to Kyle.

The story arc ended with Kyle telling the Controllers that if they came back they would be a facing a REAL Green Lantern Corp.

This WAS supposed to happen very soon as writer Ron Marz wanted to bring the Corp back and put John Stewert back in as a Guardian figure along side Ganthet. But unfortunatly Marz went to CrossGen leaving Green Lantern to Judd fucking Winick.

Now Judd Winick had GOOD ideas like Nero the crazy (by which I mean actual crazy not comic book crazy) weilder of a yellow power ring who's mind spurted out Great Horrors because of how twisted it was. And Ion, which at the time was basically 'Kyle Rayner has become God' but Ion didn't last as Kyle became fearful when people started worshipping him (what do you expect when your Omnipotent and Omniscient as well as being able to re-weave the fabric of time while preventing a paradox)

But he also never followed up on the Corp idea, and it would never properly be followed up on until Geoff Johns came back.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
MovieBob said:
So in effect, ten years of fanboy whining was worth it, sort of. Do you really think they would of done the Blackest Night, which was basically the cleverest excuse to bring every single character from... ever, if the whole Green Lantern fiasco never happened? Or find a way to bring Batman back from the not dead?
They had already done it on a smaller scale, which works as a GREAT bit of foreshadowing to Blackest Night long before Hal came back to the role.

In Green Lantern Annual #7 Kyle Rayner discovers a living Abin Sur who tells him that he should be dead, and is soon set upon by the dead Green Lantern corp, all living and all under the control of Nekron. They have Death-Powered Power Rings and Kyle is at this time the ONLY Green Lantern.

So he fights a veritable army on his own before finally getting the drop on Nekron (and I do mean drop, Nekron is way to powerful for any single hero to beat straight up. Even the overpowered ones) and Nekron says he'll be back.

Annual #7 was in it's basics, a prototype for Blackest Night except before the Emotional Spectrum existed and on a smaller (by which I mean only 3000ish Black Lanterns instead of a whole universe full of them) scale.

Also another note is that the idea for a 'Corp War' was also not Geoff Johns idea, or at least he wasn't the first person to come up with it.

In issues 120-124 of Green Lantern Volume 3 Kyle Rayner is shot, and then put in his own little dreamworld by The Controllers, who can be considered the Guardians if the Guardians were even BIGGER pricks than they already are. And trust me the Guardians are dicks.

The dream world depicted shows a New Oa with a new Green Lantern Corp, Ganthet is still around as the Guardian and the entire planet is much more full of life than the original. Anyway the Corp not only protects space but also fights against the Controllers who have their own Corp the Effigy Corp.

Effigy was a Supervillain of Kyle Rayners who was just like him, in the right place at the right time, when the controllers abducted him and reconstructed his body to have flame powers that could create constructs. So yeah an entire Corp filled with those guys. Ontop of that each of the Effigy Corp were people from Kyle's past, even if they shouldn't be around. a Manhunter Robot he had killed, Fatality who he had seen die (Twice in fact, Fatality never stays dead, or rather was never killed) etc. etc.

It all turned out to be a controller enduced figment of his imagination right? well... not exactly.

See Kyle is still seeing weird things and realizes the Controllers are still trying to influence him, so he flys to space and confronts Effigy who's been stripped of all his will and mearly repeats "I serve the controllers" when Kyle is captured by the Controllers he awakens to find that they HAVE constructed an Effigy Corp, and they intend to do the same thing to Kyle.

The story arc ended with Kyle telling the Controllers that if they came back they would be a facing a REAL Green Lantern Corp.

This WAS supposed to happen very soon as writer Ron Marz wanted to bring the Corp back and put John Stewert back in as a Guardian figure along side Ganthet. But unfortunatly Marz went to CrossGen leaving Green Lantern to Judd fucking Winick.

Now Judd Winick had GOOD ideas like Nero the crazy (by which I mean actual crazy not comic book crazy) weilder of a yellow power ring who's mind spurted out Great Horrors because of how twisted it was. And Ion, which at the time was basically 'Kyle Rayner has become God' but Ion didn't last as Kyle became fearful when people started worshipping him (what do you expect when your Omnipotent and Omniscient as well as being able to re-weave the fabric of time while preventing a paradox)

But he also never followed up on the Corp idea, and it would never properly be followed up on until Geoff Johns came back.

Maybe I shouldn't of asked... >.>

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I must admit, the Black Lantern Corps sounds pretty cool. I am almost inspired to go back and read some of Geoff John's Green Lantern comics.

Time is never wasted if it is spent in the pursuit of knowledge.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
awww, so you hate "blackest night", and "brightest day"? My bro just got me the whole set, and told me to read through it! damn, is it really bad? I was actually looking forward to these....

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I read the saga: overall great but the Sinestro Corps War was amazing. There was even
An alien and a predator with yellow rings.

Ah, and Larfleeze:

is awesome.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Funny thing is I was discussing exactly all of this with a friend a couple days ago. Every bit of it.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
This is what I love about The Big Picture.
It's a bunch of most likely useless information that is really interesting and makes me care about things that i normally wouldn't.
Very well done Bob, keep it up.
Also, you should do an episode on Xmen origins: Wolverine. That'd be a hoot and a half.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Hal Jordan is basically Geoff Johns pet character. He wrote his reimagined origin, he made the whole DC run in circles around the spectrum lanterns and blackest night. And now that the whole DC Universe is getting rebooted guess which character remains untouched?

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
All said and done, I'm not surprised that John Stewart was the Green Lantern they chose for the Justice League cartoon. Much more straight forward.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, that clever little explanation for the inability of DC heroes to stay dead was just insane. It's like they knew it was stupid, so they just made fun of it. It was kinda slow clap worthy.

TheSchaef said:
Yellow Lantern Scarecrow would have made Arkham Asylum a ***** to beat.
Actually, I looked up a little bit about the various ring colors a while back. Long story short, some friends and I saw a picture of a green light that had a green, yellow, and red lantern symbol in it. None of us are comic fans, but we do know about the green and yellow lantern. But none of us have ever heard of the red. So... I looked it up. Boy, was I surprised by the sheer number of power rings.

Anyway, I read that yellow was based on fear, and couldn't see how that made sense and looked into that one a little more. Turns out that its not the bearer's fear but the fear of others that it feeds on. And we know that wouldn't work on the Batman because he fears nothing. Cuz -y'know- he's the Goddamn Batman!

[sub]Was that a lot of work for a Goddamn Batman reference? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes.[/sub]

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
Saltyk said:
Turns out that its not the bearer's fear but the fear of others that it feeds on. And we know that wouldn't work on the Batman because he fears nothing. Cuz -y'know- he's the Goddamn Batman!
I'm not sure I get your point. I haven't read the comics, so I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that other people's fears WAS the point of Scarecrow, so the yellow ring would be dead on. That it doesn't work on Batman is kind of irrelevant when there are so many other people to terrorize. The villains aren't all about getting batman, are they? Surely some of them want to get something else, and Batman just happens to get in their way because, you know, they're hurting Gotham and he won't have any of that?
But even if Scarecrow has a personal vendetta against Batman too, like many villains seem to, well terrorizing his city is still a good way to get to him methinks.
And Batman has fears, but I guess saying he didn't was the setup for your joke so I'll let that one roll.

A_who

Sep 17, 2010
I don't know if this has been ask but aren't green lanterns banned in the future. If they can someone tell me why.

SlothfulCobra

Nov 18, 2009
A Curious Fellow said:
All said and done, I'm not surprised that John Stewart was the Green Lantern they chose for the Justice League cartoon. Much more straight forward.
The problem with John Stewart in the Justice League was that he was so uncreative. Fire lasers, surround himself with energy so he can fly, push stuff around, pick stuff up, maybe make a WALL if he's feeling really creative.

They also sorta forgot about the crazy weakness, until the episode where they found some parallel superheroes, and Green Lantern's counterpart, the Green Guardsman, couldn't handle aluminum

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Avistew said:
Saltyk said:
Turns out that its not the bearer's fear but the fear of others that it feeds on. And we know that wouldn't work on the Batman because he fears nothing. Cuz -y'know- he's the Goddamn Batman!
I'm not sure I get your point. I haven't read the comics, so I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that other people's fears WAS the point of Scarecrow, so the yellow ring would be dead on. That it doesn't work on Batman is kind of irrelevant when there are so many other people to terrorize. The villains aren't all about getting batman, are they? Surely some of them want to get something else, and Batman just happens to get in their way because, you know, they're hurting Gotham and he won't have any of that?
But even if Scarecrow has a personal vendetta against Batman too, like many villains seem to, well terrorizing his city is still a good way to get to him methinks.
And Batman has fears, but I guess saying he didn't was the setup for your joke so I'll let that one roll.
Thanks for letting me have my little joke.

Yes, Scarecrow is all about others fears. Even if he couldn't scare Batman, he could still terrorize the other inmates and that would easily power the yellow power ring. So admittedly there are loopholes in that or any other scenario.

Really, the only villain that I think has any real vendetta against Batman is the Joker. I could be wrong (don't read the comics), but I think most other villains just try to deal with him as much as they can.

As for Batman's own fears. Sure he has some minor fears (that Scarecrow could amplify), but every show I ever saw with Batman and Scarecrow usually ended with Batman overcoming the fear. Which would probably put a damper on that source of fear.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
Wow, that's a pretty impressive review. I always love listening to Bob, but seriously, this is why I mostly stick to independent comics and some of the saner manga out there.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Crap...Black Lantern Superman. If THAT doesn't say "royally hosed", I don't know what does.

Actually...strike that. I CAN think of one scarier.

Lantern Corp version of the Mandarin...with ALL NINE rings in his/her possession.

Think about that...a schitzophrenic who could power all nine rings due to his/her ever-changing personality. THAT, my friends, would be an adversary!

(Nthing props on Yellow Lantern Scarecrow though. Someone PLEASE make that a DLC villain for Arkham City!)

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I am familiar with DC characters only because of cartoon TV series and have never read a SINGLE DC comic book.
But, if what MovieBob says is true, then DC writers are really clever guys.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Oh, thank you for these episodes. I wanted to learn a bit about Green Lantern but every time I started reading I got to a retarded part (I'm talking about you rainbow.) and rage quit.

Now, how much should I pay you to make another Magneto episode?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Was the Batman not forgiving him the scene where Batman and co paint the entire room yellow, including Batman himself, so that Green Lantern has to basically just sit and listen to what Batman has to say? I saw that around the interwebs somewhere.