The Big Picture: Next Light

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
04whim said:
How about a decent reboot to the His Dark Materials franchise? I hope the Mortal Instruments series, if it takes off, includes a big lovey dovey sex scene just before the big reveal.

I just read the reveal...I can't wait for the watchdogs to come out of the woodwork after that...

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Silk_Sk said:
4:21 - This was my EXACT verbatim reaction to the twist at the end of the first episode of The Walking Dead. I haven't picked up the show since.
Wait, what twist?

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Oh, and, Bob.

How's the WiiU. :p
I see you've been following someones Twitter as well. I know how that feels, but I cant help myself and also find it amusing. Still mean though. :p

OT: Saw "Taylor Lautner" in the move Abduction (was dragged there by a group of girls) and OH GOD was that movie painful to watch. The girls loved it, so I can see what bob means and what we can expect to come.

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
I would give my left nut to see the Leviathan series on screen. It's a steampunk/biopunk alternate history WWI with interesting and believable characters, and NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT.

no justice, I tells ya.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I love how everyone just comes together to rip on what the teenage girls like. You may not like it, it may be badly written, but that doesn't mean you should you diss it. Everyone likes stupid shit when they're teenagers and even if they still like it into adulthood, what's it matter to you? Don't like it, ignore it.

It just pisses me off a tad whenever I hear nerds complain about getting bullied or teased for what they like then turn right around and bully or tease others for what they like.

I don't understand the point of getting upset or annoyed with what other people enjoy when it doesn't interefere with your life more than having to watch a movie trailer from time to time or see the books on a shelf in a store.

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
Hey, don't call the mortal instrument series the next Twilight. Its actually written well, with rounded likeable characters. The action is good and it really goes old school on monster lore. Its more of a love child between Buffy & Harry Potter than a Twilight clone.

Also the twist you worry about will probable blow over quickly as it is countered by another twist in the 3rd book.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Danial said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Can someone tell me what Bob didn't want to spoil about Mortal Instruments?
Quote from Wiki PS: MASSIVE SPOILER

"During the attack, Luke and Clary get inside Valentine's lair. While Luke is distracted, Clary finds Valentine and Jace. Valentine reveals to them that he is actually Jace's father as well, making them siblings, shocking and horrifying both Jace and Clary, who by then realized that they have fallen in love with each other. Luke then returns to fight Valentine, along with Jace's help, but Valentine escapes to the Shadowhunter capital, Idris, where he has now hidden the Mortal Cup, which can used to create Shadowhunters. The Mortal Cup is one of three Mortal Instruments given to the first Shadowhunter by the angel Raziel, and if Valentine has them, he will create a whole army of Shadowhunters. Clary finds her mother, who is in a coma caused by a potion, and takes her to a hospital. In the meantime, Alec has been healed by Magnus Bane and he and Clary decide to start fresh. Afterwards, Clary and Jace meet at the Institute and express their frustration that they cannot be together like they once believed."

So yeah Incest

I see what Bob means
What will awful fanfiction writers do since the crack pairing of brother and sister is already canon.

...actually, thats all I got...

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
John Malkovich AND Rob Corddry in a film together?... never occurred to me before, but that's kinda... dopplegangerish. Just cuz bald.

And all yous guys saying Hunger Games is the next Twilight... no. This is coming from an adult male: it isn't that bad. Derivitive as hell, but at least competent and not insulting. Sure, it has a teenage female protagonist with a silly name, and a love triangle, but other than that, it reminded me more of Logan's Run or Soilent Green. Or 1984. Or Running Man. Or Lord of the Flies. Or Battle Royale. Oh wait, THIS MOVIE SU/////

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
Waaaaaait... Did anyone else see the cop from They Live, in the preview of the last movie he talked about. I don't mean an actor, that was the mask they used for the Aliens in They Live... and if not, it looked a LOT alike

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Oh god, please don't bring up anything to do with Cassandra Clare on this site - she is a ... we'll go with c-word. Seriously. [http://fanlore.org/wiki/Cassandra_Claire] Was around the Harry Potter fandom when all this was going down and she was not nice about anything at all. I have refused to ahve anything to do with her since - she was pretty damn horrible back then.

... And to keep me from getting in too much trouble...

I'm looking forward to Warm Bodies - it looks interesting and I may have to pick up the book.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
well twilight has end and i ignored them all so i can do the same for these too

the mortal instinct relationship thing won't go well with main stream audiences? i wounder why but i don't care enough to look it up my self.

edit- i found out why the main stream will not like it in the comments.
incest... the reaction to it should create an interesting shit storm. especially if the relationship goes past sleeping with each other before the twist is found out

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
Screamarie said:
I love how everyone just comes together to rip on what the teenage girls like. You may not like it, it may be badly written, but that doesn't mean you should you diss it. Everyone likes stupid shit when they're teenagers and even if they still like it into adulthood, what's it matter to you? Don't like it, ignore it.

It just pisses me off a tad whenever I hear nerds complain about getting bullied or teased for what they like then turn right around and bully or tease others for what they like.

I don't understand the point of getting upset or annoyed with what other people enjoy when it doesn't interefere with your life more than having to watch a movie trailer from time to time or see the books on a shelf in a store.
I'm not so sure if it's the content, as much as it's the fact that Twilight is very badly written from a technical stand point. People shouldn't read trash novelists, not because of the content of the novel as that's subjective, but because of the general lack of effort and skill they have to convey their thoughts. I usually bring up J. K. Rowling in such situations because, while Harry Potter is loved by many, it is not loved by me. The content of the Harry Potter series is great, it's just not my cup of tea from book five and beyond, but the actual writing is great and I can respect that. Stephanie Meyer, however, writes like a fan fiction or romantic novelette writer (I sincerely apologize to those who write smut novels because even those are edited better) who decided to just copy-paste her hastily written screen play and put it into a book. I can't respect a "writer" who doesn't know how to write and pushing these out to kids adults and getting fantastic praise just goes to show that you can put no effort into what you do and become great because you're a lazy ass with a decent idea. Not great values to impress upon anyone, frankly.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
None of those films look remotely interesting to me. If it is just being made to make money and for no other reason, I'm out before the get go.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I remember reading some webcomic that parodied Twilight with a fake in-universe book series about a girl falling for a zombie. So Warm Bodies could be hilarious depending on how much they're leaning on that angle as opposed to making it the kind of movie most think of when they hear "romantic comedy". (I.e. straight romance story with some funny bits thrown in to broaden the potential audience.)

Psst. Bob, you forgot to mention Red Riding Hood when you were talking about Twilight cash-ins that have already happened. Didn't that one even have the same director as the first Twilight film?

soh45400 said:
I don't know why but I always get too angry at seeing two guy-one girl love triangles.
I always try to find to opposite after seeing those by mistake but never succeed. This episode kind of angered me again because of that reason.
That's because I imagine most guys wouldn't see two girls wanting them as a dilemma, but an opportunity. ;)

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Danial said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Quote from Wiki PS: MASSIVE SPOILER

"During the attack, Luke and Clary get inside Valentine's lair. While Luke is distracted, Clary finds Valentine and Jace. Valentine reveals to them that he is actually Jace's father as well, making them siblings, shocking and horrifying both Jace and Clary, who by then realized that they have fallen in love with each other. Luke then returns to fight Valentine, along with Jace's help, but Valentine escapes to the Shadowhunter capital, Idris, where he has now hidden the Mortal Cup, which can used to create Shadowhunters. The Mortal Cup is one of three Mortal Instruments given to the first Shadowhunter by the angel Raziel, and if Valentine has them, he will create a whole army of Shadowhunters. Clary finds her mother, who is in a coma caused by a potion, and takes her to a hospital. In the meantime, Alec has been healed by Magnus Bane and he and Clary decide to start fresh. Afterwards, Clary and Jace meet at the Institute and express their frustration that they cannot be together like they once believed."

So yeah Incest

I see what Bob means
I dunno, I think that someone pulled it off before...

Though I don't know how far they take their relationship in Mortal Instruments, I'm guessing it stays PG-13 (or they'll edit it to make it so).
Having just read the book, it goes exactly as far. Well... okay they make out and are on their way to bed but get caught.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Dangit2019 said:
Silk_Sk said:
4:21 - This was my EXACT verbatim reaction to the twist at the end of the first episode of The Walking Dead. I haven't picked up the show since.
Wait, what twist?
That his wife was alive and boning his best friend.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
MetalMagpie said:
MichaelMaverick said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Seconded. Too lazy to look it up, the series looks like a decent clusterfuck.
Here's the very short version:
The main character is a (seemingly) ordinary teenage girl who falls for a magical demon-hunting guy. Turns out he likes her too and they have a bit of a smooch. At the end they discover that they're actually brother and sister. Ouch.

Half brother and sister from the father's side so at least there won't be any problems if they have kids (that only applies if they had the same mother or there mothers were siblings).
'
Actually they are full brother and sister. Same mother, same father. Father took off with the boy after faking both their deaths, mother took off with the girl to get away from the world that took everything from her.