The Big Picture: Wunderpants - Wonder Woman's New Clothes

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
What I'm getting is that people over-analyze and judge female characters no matter what... nothing will ever be good enough.

Nepukadnezzar

Mar 19, 2013
I actually liked the jacket as well.
It just doesn't fit well with the whole greek theme, if you put in the jacket you should also cut the swords, shields and the rest of the ancient greek equipment ....

I did I just turn wonder woman into a manga character?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I don´t mind pants, as long as they get rid of the ridiculous stars and stripes design. But i´m not really a fan anyway, just think it would look weird if she was running around like in the series while everyone else is wearing somewhat normal clothes. I just don´t think a lot of these superhero costumes translates well into the real world, most often it just looks ridiculous and in that case i think it´s fair to make some changes.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
RA92 said:
Darth_Payn said:
All this talk of the jacket got me thinking this should calm everybody down:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3MExgf6mwdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
I'll be back when I have something more intelligent and relevant to the "Wonder Woman costume and sexual implications thereof" issue, because right now, nothing really comes to mind yet.

EDIT: Oh, for fuck's sake, why did the YouTube video for "Jacket" not get embedded?!
To embed videos in the forums, type out the YT link within a pair of "" brackets and get rid of the 'www.' and '.com/watch?v' portion. Quote me to see the syntax of this embed:

<youtube=3MExgf6mwdU>
Ah, good. Thanks, dude. Sometimes YouTube itself isn't clear in its own instructions to embed videos.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
I think they should give poor Conan a jacket next, i mean Seriously!

"Happy now?"
...no, but this is more about YOUR well-being :))

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
octafish said:
Alarien said:
snip... DC's problem has always been that their characters have been about as dull as dishwater.
DC's flagship characters maybe.

The secondary heroes, Animal Man, Hitman, Doom Patrol, Amanda Waller, Moon Knight, The Question, the Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen team-up, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (just Ted Kord) are far more interesting than Marvel's angsty teenagers.

I haven't really read Marvel since Kraven's Last Hunt though.

Oh and lets not forget that DC has the better villain roster, and geniuses like Ostrander knew how to use them, even the goofy ones like Captain Boomerang, to great effect. Suicide Squad had a lasting effect on DC villains.

MovieBob... Animal Man, Margaret Attwood... Respect!
That very well may be true, and perhaps I'll look into some of those heroes. The flagship heroes, as you call them, are utterly awful, to me.

I haven't been reading in a while. Marvel went off the rails on a lot of the stories I liked a long time ago, and I bowed out. I still like the idea of their heroes though more. I had hoped they had gotten off the angsty teenager train in the '90s though (gah, the second gen X-Factor was the worst for this).

I've wanted to get back in, but I refuse to pay $4 for 24-27 pages. I have to wait for trade paperbacks to even think about it, sadly. If the digital prices were dropped to say $2, then I'd probably start buying again.

I also agree that Marvel has mostly "bad" villains, which is a shame. Spiderman's are probably the absolute bottom of the barrel. However, I do think they have some fun ones. Doom isn't terrible, and the X-men franchise often has really strong villains. I have a hard time finding any villain that has more personality and character interest as Magneto. I've never been overly enamored of DC's villains either, but I'm willing to give them a look.

As for the Patriarchy comment that a lot of people have been bringing up, and which Bob references in his comments, I think it's a red herring. I really don't think that the reason for changes to Wonder Woman's costume, to potentially add pants is really a matter of covering up. If it was, then I'd agree that just demanding she cover up is bad. Again, I'll point to Ms Marvel's current outfit and how fantastic that is. White Crown Phoenix Jean Grey's outfit leaves little to the imagination and still looks great. Maybe we need to consider that the original Wonder Woman's costume design just looks kinda... stupid now. It does to me. The pants/jacket look looks kinda cool to me. The leather strip skirt+ armor design looks kinda cool. They can even make the hotpants/leotard look look cool. The one thing that doesn't look cool is the fact that her original outfit looks like a girl's set of Underoos.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe it could get cold and why not have both? Some characters have combat and casual gear.
In a more modern day with a character that just wears what she wants, maybe she could have more than one outfit? I wouldn't see why not.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Skipping over all the existing conversation to ask: Is it just me or does this video run at a super-high framerate? Those clips of the cartoon seem way too smooth even for '90s animation, like it was run through something like those fake-double-framerate features that a lot of TVs have nowadays.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Steve the Pocket said:
Skipping over all the existing conversation to ask: Is it just me or does this video run at a super-high framerate? Those clips of the cartoon seem way too smooth even for '90s animation, like it was run through something like those fake-double-framerate features that a lot of TVs have nowadays.
Those clips were from movies. The animated Wonder Woman movie was released in 2009. The Crisis on two earths movie was released in 2010 so was Superman/Batman Apocalypse. All three movies had excellent fight scenes for Wonder Woman.

Which really makes me wish that DC/Warner would just release a feature length animated film for Wonder Woman instead of toying around with the idea of a live action one. But the animated scenes do show how bad ass the character can be in the right hands.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I want to know. Why is bob ok with wonder woman showing up in pants, but if she has the jacket on he will apparently go into mouth-frothing rage?

Also, anyone else notice just how many female superhero characters costumes look suspiciously like bathing suits with tights?