The Escapist Presents: Five Things You Shouldn't Do in Mass Effect 2

SousukeSeg

Oct 17, 2008
actually for everybody commenting on Sheperd dancing, take a closer look at the dance floor and you can see that all of the male NPCs dance the same way, doesn't make it less horrifying to watch, but it might be some new intergalactic law against dancing with style that we people of the past cannot understand... yet?! *shiver*

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Learned about fish the hard way, but that was nowhere close to how fast you can melee in game. It is a good idea to not even try to melee or shotgun though, you don't want them close to you at all.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Slycne said:
Furioso said:
lockeslylcrit said:
Casual Shinji said:
My question is: Why doesn't the frickin' space hamster starve? You don't feed it yet it's a live and kicking all through to the end.

What the hell is that thing living on?
Bioware wants to preserve the spirit and memory of Boo, I would guess.
Pardon my stupidity, but who/what is Boo?
It's a reference to Baldur's Gate. There was a character who had a pet hamster named Boo. He claimed that Boo was a "miniature giant space hamster", which is another reference back to the AD&D campaign Spelljammer.
Wait, so the hamster is Boo?

lockeslylcrit

Dec 28, 2008
SousukeSeg said:
actually for everybody commenting on Sheperd dancing, take a closer look at the dance floor and you can see that all of the male NPCs dance the same way, doesn't make it less horrifying to watch, but it might be some new intergalactic law against dancing with style that we people of the past cannot understand... yet?! *shiver*
It doesn't matter if it's Male Shepard or Female Shepard, they both dance like they are on heavy depressants. At least the female NPCs add variety.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
Alex_P said:
I melee krogans all the time! Just gotta soften them up a bunch first. >.>

Of course, just as I got all thwack-happy, the game threw a bunch of exploding bugs at me. Don't melee those.

-- Alex
why not? you can just go invisible afterwards and not find cover :p
(yeah i like hitting stuff then bailing out by going invis)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Do the Shepard everybody!
Also, I am sure I was not the only person who routinely beat Krogan to death as guns are for wusses.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Ah yes, feeding the fish. I didn't do that, I sorta just let them die followed by purchasing new ones. It's a good thing I was able to get Yeoman Chambers to feed them before deciding I was bored with her and switching romance choices.

I was able to win a Melee fight with a Krogan once, of course the Krogan may have been under fire from my squad at the time.

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

On fish. Kelly feeds them. At one point, the Collectors took off with my entire crew, Kelly included. I was playing Renegade, so it was a bit "meh, whatever". Because of this, my fish all died. "OH IT'S PERSONAL NOW, YOU BASTARDS!"

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Eremiel said:
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

On fish. Kelly feeds them. At one point, the Collectors took off with my entire crew, Kelly included. I was playing Renegade, so it was a bit "meh, whatever". Because of this, my fish all died. "OH IT'S PERSONAL NOW, YOU BASTARDS!"
Dude, use spoiler tags please. This is one of the cooler bits in the entire game and you just posted it.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not), but wasn't there a renegade option where you headbutted a Krogan chief? Moreover, didn't shepard both karate kick and subsequently punch out a Krogan mercenary on Omega?

'Cause I know he did when I played.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I melee krogans all the time. Plus pretty much everything else. (Charge is a useful power to get this done)
"Have you ever faced an Asari Commando Unit? Because with my biotic powers, I could destroy your mind with a thought! So don't-"
"Think fast then!" (Wham)

Main reason an enemy would respond badly to meleeing is armor. Generally a good idea to wear down most of their armor anyway.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
HT_Black said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not), but wasn't there a renegade option where you headbutted a Krogan chief? Moreover, didn't shepard both karate kick and subsequently punch out a Krogan mercenary on Omega?

'Cause I know he did when I played.
Krogan seem to suffer from cut-scene weakness. Normally they are a forced to be reckoned with, but in cut-scenes they can easily be dispatched with a single bullet.

Something I think you should never try to do is use the Flamethrower heavy weapon from the DLC. It has so many problems. The first being that it's a short range weapon. If an enemy gets up close to you, you can whip out a shotgun or SMG quickly to deal with the new threat. But if you try to switch to the flamethrower you'll waste to much time switching weapons, resulting in you getting killed. So you can only use it for offense. But because it's a close range weapon, you have to walk up to the enemy and get riddled with bullets along the way. But even when you are close to an enemy, it still sucks because Shepard is knocked back when he takes melee, flame, or explosive damage. So trying to use it in close range usually just causes you to be knocked around a few times before dying.

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
Joa_Belgium said:
Eremiel said:
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

Dude, use spoiler tags please. This is one of the cooler bits in the entire game and you just posted it.
Wasn't aware of'em and I DID post an all-caps "SPOILER WARNING!" with numerous exclamation marks. You could've just skipped it.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Eremiel said:
Joa_Belgium said:
Eremiel said:
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

Wasn't aware of'em and I DID post an all-caps "SPOILER WARNING!" with numerous exclamation marks. You could've just skipped it.
It wasn't a spoiler to me, because I have finished the game already. The spoiler tags are there because they're safer to use. Someone else could accidentally read your spoiler if you don't hide it.

Babrook

Oct 22, 2005
I didn't even know about my fish until I spawned in the captains quarters after beating the game.

Oops.

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
Eh, I usually like taking my messages in my quarters anyway so they haven't starved on me yet.

I love the ship models too. If those are at all to scale then the SR-2 Normandy is HUGE (though judging from the model of the Destiny Ascension I'm guessing they're not).

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Nice...

That CAIN nuke gun is awesome but I never can seem to find enough ammo for the damn thing. Maybe If I switched classes...right now I'm a vangaurd