The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Russ

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
AkJay said:
It said "Top 5" but I saw 6 video-games.
Nice catch! Now *read* instead of *skimming* and you'll find your answer ;)
I normally skim through the list, and if I see a game I like, I'll read the description, if I see a game I don't know/like, I'll skip it.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
AkJay said:
Russ Pitts said:
AkJay said:
It said "Top 5" but I saw 6 video-games.
Nice catch! Now *read* instead of *skimming* and you'll find your answer ;)
I normally skim through the list, and if I see a game I like, I'll read the description, if I see a game I don't know/like, I'll skip it.
Then I guess you'll never know ...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Cannot say im surprised @ number 1. It was an awesome game. No Denying that =D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Emerus said:
Pretty good list. I wonder, will any one else make a list of favorites over 2009 games?
That would be pretty cool, the full escapist staffs look at the top 5?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't call Dragon Age brilliant and perfect.....it has plenty of problems. I love it, but when I can go through the whole game with an invisible Ogren appearing in cutscenes but NOT ever in my party...yeah, they need to work on some stuff.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
A great list with a few of my own faves in there too to really get me onside. I really liked the fact that someone who is high up enough (has a lot of readers) to make a difference enjoyed MW2. At last! It's not meant to be a deep tale of lost love and heroes etc. It is what it is and that is great fun (unless you have just been akimbo 1887'd AGAIN in Karachi!).

Good man Russ. I just hope that your colleagues follow through in a simlar stance, ignore common prejudice and big up a game for it being enjoyable to play. Fingers crossed for Uncharted 2 to get some recognition.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I wanted to plal Brutal Legend but no console.

I would probably love MW2 but Activision but the price up so to protest i refused to buy it.

I would hate to play Godfather 2, Wolfenstien

I might like Batman but I'm never going to buy it

I am undecided about DRagon Age: Origins. It's either really good or sucks balls. I think like Oblivion it might grow more and more rubbish as time goes by.

And I do agree with Russ when he says that it was a terrible year for gaming. It really was.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
I had the problem that some other posters might've too; I thought it was more a best of not a faves list-but once I saw the list in that light; bingo. All makes sense.

In a way, staffers of the Escapist have an advantage; they have to play a lot of games during the year. Most of us, because of our budget, do not have this luxury. I don't have the money to spend on Godfather 2, and the multiplayer aspect of MW2 doesn't appeal to me so I'll be waiting to get that used. But you guys, with a faves list instead of a best of, can highlight things that you liked, period. Which is, in my eyes, tilted differently than a best of. Makes me think that maybe Wolfenstein is worth a rental-who knows, maybe I'll like it?

In conclusion, I'm looking forward to the rest, to see what other gems might come up.

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
Finally I was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought godfather2 was a lot of fun.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Overall it was a pretty good list. And I like the idea of doing "faves" over which games were "technically" the best. Sometimes games that don't get a lot of fanfare are some of the funnest to play.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Your list was ok, but not great.
Dragon Age: Origins
Wolfenstein Borderlands
Modern Warfare 2 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Brutal Legend
Batman: Arkham Asylum Assassin's Creed 2
The Godfather II
Now, that's a great list.
I think you're kind of missing the point of doing a "favorites" list, rather than a "best of."
That's correct but Russ did say that we should share our opinions.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Seriously? Dragon Age deserves to be on that list, but perfect? Far from it.
I cannot begin to fathom how a gamer could fail the spot the flaws in DAO.

I think I want Arkham Asylum. The other 4 games don't interest me much.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I really, really need to get around to playing Arkham Asylum.
I think you just broke the universe. Play it NOW!

Nice list Russ, and I agree with The Godfather. Actually I bought The Godfather II on your recommendation, and hell it was worth it.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I'd suggest:
Dragon Age: Origins
Wolfenstein Borderlands
Modern Warfare 2
Brutal Legend Uncharted 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
The Godfather II Assassin's Creed 2