The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Russ

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
veloper said:
I cannot begin to fathom how a gamer could fail the spot the flaws in DAO.
Dude, I'm a gamer. My friends are gamers. My spouse is a gamer and my brother is a gamer. It is therefore with some authority that I suggest a gamer could (and frequently will) spot flaws in just about anything if he so chooses.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I really, really need to get around to playing Arkham Asylum.
I just died a little inside when I read this... no mattetr the peron saying it.... I just can't help it. It's just such a solid and well made game. And it's Batman, come one...Batman.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
brutal legend would have been so much better if all the songs where unlocked from the beginning so i could have used even more time driving around listening to metal.

also i think theres a problem with the link, i already read russ's list but this time i pressed "The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009" and its still the editor in chief's, hierarchy much :)?.

edit:
oh and my lists because i just know how your all dieing to know my top 5s.
and in no particular order i present my AAA top 5;
Dragon Age.
Batman : AA.
Brütal Legend.
Prototype.
L4D2.

and the indie top 5;
Machinarium.
Zeno Clash.
Braid. (pc, i know it came out on xbox live in 08)
Torchlight.
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood (the only game here who didn't try something new or had an unique style, but dammit i love it)

also im uncertain where to put flowers vs. zombies, its not an AAA game and its not indie either, but great game, it belongs somewhere.

Jul 9, 2008
Having a problem with the video, it cuts out on the word "standard" in the Wolfenstein section. Just my computer, or is there actually something wrong?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
veloper said:
Dude, I'm a gamer. My friends are gamers. My spouse is a gamer and my brother is a gamer. It is therefore with some authority that I suggest a gamer could (and frequently will) spot flaws in just about anything if he so chooses.
Doom back in the day may have been "brilliant and perfect". It is possible.

DAO not so much. Maybe if only they fixed the loot, the abilities, the graphical glitches and the timewarp dialogues, then maybe DA would get close.

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
Cyberjester said:
I like your list.

Off topic, a lot of the bad press MW2 gets I think is based partly on how it lacks dedicated servers, making it a pain to play multiplayer on a PC. And we PC gamers can get pretty loud if we don't like something..
Not only that, Modern Warfare 2 is riddled with bugs (which become bannable offenses), balancing issues, matchmaking failures, network hiccups, broken party systems, some really bad maps (I mean, what the crap is Estate? It's just KOTH. It is not a Team Deathmatch appropriate map. If you have the mansion, you've pretty much won) and a not so great community.

Matchmaking games

I remember when Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 first came out, games felt really fair and balanced. However, that might be because everyone had the same weapons and not everyone was using the stupid "I'm a Ninja" class. This complaint has nothing to do with me being "bad" at MW2, I tend to win most of my games with me placing in the top 4 players (mostly).

If you've played this game online, then you'll agree with me on the fact that some non-sniper rifle weapons are waaaaaaaay too powerful and they shouldn't kill you (you being in perfect health) in one body shot from across the map.

Oh, and don't get me started on spawning. I mean, you'd think that QA would have picked up on this but the spawn system is really really bad. You can be spawned right next to an enemy, which wouldn't be too bad if they weren't looking right at you. It's just as bad as the spawn system in Team SWAT (I <3 team swat) in Halo 3.

The community

But that aside, I find that most people you'll get matched up with tend to be the really annoying, flaming racist/sexist/elitist speech spewing jerks. MW2's community is pretty much made up of players like this. Does everyone have to behave like they are some tough hardass gangster? Really? Who are you trying to impress? Your friends? Like they'll care after a day. You look like a dick online and everyone thinks you are an idiot.

I mean, there are people who behave like this in other online games, but you encounter these people in MW2 more frequently than any other game I've played.

Now, I tend to not pay attention to what other people say online (unless it's my friends) but the level of language being thrown at other players is uncalled for. It is way beyond trash talk. This is hate speech going on here. This is a mature game people, let's act mature rather than a 14 year old who just learned a bunch of new swear words.

The frustrating part about the matchmaking system is that the people who tend to be a river of obscenities tend to be on your team, even if you file a review to avoid them (which the game doesn't take into account). Sure you can mute those people, but in this game, you need all the intel you can get and these people travel in packs.

MW2 used to be fun and I really don't want all these problems to ruin the game, but with IW's constant failures and the terrible matchmaking system, it's really hard to prevent these things from ruining the experience.

If you step back and look at the game as a whole, it feels like MW2 is just hype. Infinity Ward got lucky with CoD4: MW, and I think it's because it was something different in the series that no one was expecting. The industry is a gamble, stats have proven that games that are in series sell better than games that are not. But even with series, the idea is to stay true to the form of the other games. CoD4 was something going beyond the tired tradition of the same game over and over again (the Madden syndrome).

And Russ, just because a game is popular doesn't mean it's good.

tl;dr:

CoD: MW2 goes to show you that while you can have a budget that reaches the stars, there's no guarantee that your game won't be Superman 64.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
veloper said:
Russ Pitts said:
veloper said:

DAO not so much. Maybe if only they fixed the loot, the abilities, the graphical glitches and the timewarp dialogues, then maybe DA would get close.
From a review of Doom on the iPhone [http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/doom-classic-review]:

The only slight complaint about the single-player game is that when you die, it's still possible to accidentally respawn with none of your weapons. When you die, you have a few possible choices?reload a save, restart (sans weapons) or keep your gear. Restarting without weapons is such a bummer that we don't even know why it was included. At least there should be an "are you sure?" pop-up to prevent us from dropping our precious chaingun. If you do restart without weapons, there's no easy way to get them back, even by reloading a save.
This is where the music gets really loud then I fold my arms and say: "I rest my case."

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
swaki said:
also i think theres a problem with the link, i already read russ's list but this time i pressed "The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009" and its still the editor in chief's, hierarchy much :)?.
Or maybe you're just impatient and should come back tomorrow to see if someone else's favorites list has been posted. And then again the next day. Aaaaaand the day after that. ;)

Mushroomfreak111

Oct 24, 2009
I've heard a lot of people saying DragonAge: Orgins is the best game this year and I still can't help put feeling a lot think this cause it's still fresh in their memory. It'll never climb to the top of my list I'm afraid, but fearing I'll get in more trouble than I already did I'll keep it to myself^^

Like the lists anyhow, doesn't matter if I agree or not!

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Godfather II was indeed surprising to find on the list. Not that I've played it, but I have heard some of the bad things people say about it, and I saw that GameSpot crowned it the least improved sequel released this year.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
veloper said:
Russ Pitts said:
veloper said:

From a review of Doom on the iPhone [http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/doom-classic-review]:

The only slight complaint about the single-player game is that when you die, it's still possible to accidentally respawn with none of your weapons. When you die, you have a few possible choices?reload a save, restart (sans weapons) or keep your gear. Restarting without weapons is such a bummer that we don't even know why it was included. At least there should be an "are you sure?" pop-up to prevent us from dropping our precious chaingun. If you do restart without weapons, there's no easy way to get them back, even by reloading a save.
This is where the music gets really loud then I fold my arms and say: "I rest my case."
That's really nitpicking and reloading a save always worked on the PC version.

Back in 1993 there was *nothing* to criticise Doom over. Gameplay is still fun today (and only a few games like Serious Sam can approach the wonderful mass carnage), but back then Doom was also the best we had ever seen and at butter smooth framerates.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Totally there with you on DA:O's perfect, man. It's definitely there on my list, top ranked. Prototype and Plants vs Zombies join it in that list, and Batman: AA can keep it's place. I'm still not sure if I want Brütal Legend in the list, since I'm still not sure how much I like it--it's fun, and quirky, but still runs a bit shallow. Torchlight gets a nice spot, since it makes a pretty good appearance for just pick-up-and-play shennanigans with swords.

Mar 16, 2009
Good for you, giving some credit to Godfather II. I feel like plenty of games (Assassins Creed is a perfect example) just need to be tweaked, and Godfather should have a good grasp on what to do at this point.
Still need to play Wolfenstein.

Aug 30, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Your list was ok, but not great.
Dragon Age: Origins
Wolfenstein Borderlands
Modern Warfare 2 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Brutal Legend
Batman: Arkham Asylum Assassin's Creed 2
The Godfather II
Now, that's a great list.
Shut up dude, it is his list if you don't like it too bad, AND especially don't change his list.

Solid list. I Agree with you on MW2 because probably if you don't like driving a snow mobile off a 50 ft cliff,everything you said about the boat, and much much more. Well, you might not know a lot of fun

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
veloper said:
Russ Pitts said:
veloper said:
Russ Pitts said:
veloper said:

That's really nitpicking and reloading a save always worked on the PC version.

Back in 1993 there was *nothing* to criticise Doom over. Gameplay is still fun today (and only a few games like Serious Sam can approach the wonderful mass carnage), but back then Doom was also the best we had ever seen and at butter smooth framerates.
My point was not that Doom was or was not perfect, but that a gamer could spot a flaw in anything if he so chose, which I then proved using your own example of a "perfect" game.

I have no trouble with you disagreeing with my opinion of Dragon Age: Origins. What I take issue with is your flametastic and senseless assertion that you "cannot begin to fathom how a gamer could fail the spot the flaws in DAO."

As a life-long gamer, a career game journalist and reviewer, the Editor-in-Chief of this website and a moderator on its forums, I have to call that sort of statement out as shit as far as commentary goes, and borderline trolling.

If you would like to further the conversation without treading on thin ice, you could start by opening the discussion with your own observations regarding the flaws of Dragon Age: Origins. I'm sure you'll find plenty of takers if you would like to debate that subject with intelligence and reason. Otherwise, I'd suggest you let that subject lie and simply enjoy the scenery.

Regarding your postulation that Doom was perfect "back in the day," I tend to agree, but recall very well the complaints leveled against it regarding its lack of story, repetitive game play and the cheesiness of the "red key, blue key" crap, which was as much of a tired cliche in 1993 as it is now.

That said, I was just as hooked on it back then as the next guy, and still consider it a favorite and probably one of the most influential games of all time. Would I call it perfect? Probably, yeah. But I could still pick it apart if I wanted to, being a gamer and all ;)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Jaranja said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
I think you're kind of missing the point of doing a "favorites" list, rather than a "best of."
That's correct but Russ did say that we should share our opinions.
It's true! Opinions welcome!

Mar 16, 2009
Fallenangel157 said:
JimmyBassatti said:
-Bellsprout used Cut!-
Shut up dude, it is his list if you don't like it too bad, AND especially don't change his list.

-Bellsprout used Cut!-
At this point in the thread you shouldn't call someone out. He already battled CantFakeTheFunk, and we were encouraged to make our own lists. He shouldn't have said "your list is okay, but not great..." but you don't have to tell him to shut up.

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
Fallenangel157 said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Your list was ok, but not great.
Dragon Age: Origins
Wolfenstein Borderlands
Modern Warfare 2 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Brutal Legend
Batman: Arkham Asylum Assassin's Creed 2
The Godfather II
Now, that's a great list.

Solid list. I Agree with you on MW2 because probably if you don't like driving a snow mobile off a 50 ft cliff,everything you said about the boat, and much much more. Well, you might not know a lot of fun
Actually, Russ did say in the video: "Do you agree with my favorites, disagree? Let us know in the comments." So, the poster is just telling everyone he disagrees with Russ's favorites list and offered some possible other choices with games he didn't like as much.

Plus this is a forum, the guy is free post his list and voice his opinions.