The Escapist's Video Player - Feedback and Updates

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
Hello, everyone!

If you're having an issue with video not playing, please be sure to check out the video help page [/videos/help].

As you already know, last week we launched our brand new video player along side our new mobile site in an effort to make The Escapist more friendly for your mobile viewing. While the video player is definitely very shiny, like all new tech swag, it had a few bugs we've noticed thanks to the ample feedback provided by you and the community. Well, don't despair, because we are always listening to your feedback and have been working on optimizing the video player daily in order to provide you with the most seamless experience possible.

Here is an official forum thread to facilitate receiving your feedback on the new video player. It will also serve as a place where we can answer questions and concerns regarding it. We'll also be posting bug updates, so stay tuned for changes! If you have questions or concerns for the Tech Team not related to the video player, you can always post on the file a ticket [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team].

Thank you for being awesome <3
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
Change log:


Fixed issue where failed response from ad server caused the player to fail to load
Reduced the amount background requests from the player
 

malestrithe

New member
Aug 18, 2008
1,818
0
0
Last Week I inquired about a smaller video option. The technician said it will be installed by this week. This week and that option is still not available. So are you going to install one or was that a placation to shut me up?
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
malestrithe said:
Last Week I inquired about a smaller video option. The technician said it will be installed by this week. This week and that option is still not available. So are you going to install one or was that a placation to shut me up?
Sorry this issue hasn't been fixed yet, I was hoping to get that out by this week but unfortunately other things popped up knocking this down on the list. You should expect this update shortly still as I have no forgotten about it.
 

StatusNil

New member
Oct 5, 2014
534
0
0
So, the video player doesn't display the whatchumacallit, the thing with the play, stop, pause etc. buttons and the progress bar at all. Control panel? Video plays fine, just can't do anything except let it roll.

At the moment, I'm on a Mac/Safari combo, but I think it was like that when I was on a PC/Chrome too. Will check when I get back on muh PC. No third party junk whatsoever on either browser.
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
StatusNil said:
So, the video player doesn't display the whatchumacallit, the thing with the play, stop, pause etc. buttons and the progress bar at all. Control panel? Video plays fine, just can't do anything except let it roll.

At the moment, I'm on a Mac/Safari combo, but I think it was like that when I was on a PC/Chrome too. Will check when I get back on muh PC. No third party junk whatsoever on either browser.
Got a full page screen shot I can see?
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
I'm not sure if this is petty or not, but could the video player [on the Pubclub side] not automatically start when the video's page is opened like how the old video player [on the PubClub end] used to do? The reason why I might consider this petty is because I liked keeping those video pages opened for later when I browse the Escapist using Chrome...

Thank you and sorry for my petty query...
 

StatusNil

New member
Oct 5, 2014
534
0
0
ThyNameIsMud said:
StatusNil said:
So, the video player doesn't display the whatchumacallit, the thing with the play, stop, pause etc. buttons and the progress bar at all. Control panel? Video plays fine, just can't do anything except let it roll.

At the moment, I'm on a Mac/Safari combo, but I think it was like that when I was on a PC/Chrome too. Will check when I get back on muh PC. No third party junk whatsoever on either browser.
Got a full page screen shot I can see?
This is weird. I opened the same exact video (new Zero Punctuation) to take a screenshot, and now it IS there, perfectly functional. Yet I was sure enough it wasn't before to post a complaint. Also tried another video, that worked too.

It would appear I was wrong, or there was some transient issue on my end. Like the other day Escapist videos wouldn't play when I was logged in, worked when I wasn't. And then they worked fine later.

I'm sorry to have taken up your time with this. And thanks for the quick response.
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
StatusNil said:
Excellent, happy to hear everything is resolved.

FPLOON said:
I'm not sure if this is petty or not, but could the video player [on the Pubclub side] not automatically start when the video's page is opened like how the old video player [on the PubClub end] used to do? The reason why I might consider this petty is because I liked keeping those video pages opened for later when I browse the Escapist using Chrome...

Thank you and sorry for my petty query...
Great suggestion, I'll add it to the feature request list.
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
Joe Bonovich said:
The new player doesn't work. At all. Will you fix it, or should I stop coming here?
I'm sorry to hear that. Could you be more specific on exactly what is not working for you so we can figure out what the issue is?
 

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
2,742
0
0
While I did have the largest screen ever for ZP videos, that was rectified moments after I found this thread. But now that I've had a day to think about things, all I can ask about is...


EDIT: OK, now for some mysterious reason, the problems that StatusNil, malestrithe and now Benedict Wolfe had/have are now back on my screen. PC with XP7, no third party shenaniganry and using Chrome here. I might update/improve these things one day when my financial situation doesn't involve throwing money at my piece of shit vehicle.
 

Benedict Wolfe

New member
Mar 9, 2010
21
0
0
The video player won't let me skip to whichever part of the play through I choose: Whenever I click the progress bar or the progress marker the video pauses or unpauses.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
The mobile site had a really rough start but it seems to be steadily improving over time. There are quite a few profile-oriented pages that are still a jumbled mess using a vertical view, though I am not sure how you could fix that without completely reformatting how it looks on mobile. Is that in the works at all?

Also, if you guys could figure out a way to show page count (and allow you to jump) from the forum screen that'd be terrific.
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0

2015-04-30 - Improved Layout of Mobile Player
2015-04-30 - Added quality selector
2015-04-30 - Updated Ad Plugin
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
Fappy said:
The mobile site had a really rough start but it seems to be steadily improving over time. There are quite a few profile-oriented pages that are still a jumbled mess using a vertical view, though I am not sure how you could fix that without completely reformatting how it looks on mobile. Is that in the works at all?

Also, if you guys could figure out a way to show page count (and allow you to jump) from the forum screen that'd be terrific.
THIS IS A VIDEO FEEDBACK THREAD FAPPY

The profile pages largely need to rebuilt to make them responsive. It's deff on the to-do. Not sure what your second request means tho.
 

s0osleepie

New member
May 20, 2010
365
0
0
Benedict Wolfe said:
The video player won't let me skip to whichever part of the play through I choose: Whenever I click the progress bar or the progress marker the video pauses or unpauses.
Should be fixed. let me know if it's still derped
 

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
2,742
0
0
For me, at least, now the videos won't even play. Shows the loading circle, but it just goes on and on like a never ending toilet swirly. When it does play, I'll letcha know if I can make it go to a certain time or not.

EDIT: For gits and shiggles, I clicked on the bar while it was still loading...and the time on the left side showed a -1:0-1.

Dunno if that might help troubleshoost things at all...
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
ThyNameIsMud said:
Fappy said:
The mobile site had a really rough start but it seems to be steadily improving over time. There are quite a few profile-oriented pages that are still a jumbled mess using a vertical view, though I am not sure how you could fix that without completely reformatting how it looks on mobile. Is that in the works at all?

Also, if you guys could figure out a way to show page count (and allow you to jump) from the forum screen that'd be terrific.
THIS IS A VIDEO FEEDBACK THREAD FAPPY

The profile pages largely need to rebuilt to make them responsive. It's deff on the to-do. Not sure what your second request means tho.
Yeah, I admit I worded it poorly. So like, let's say you navigate to "Gaming Discussion" on your phone and are browsing the list of threads on the front page. As of right now the mobile view does not include hyperlinks to individual pages of a thread like the full site view does. I realize that could be a real estate issue, but it would be nice to at least include the number of pages the thread contains.